28 replies to this topic

#1 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 24, 2008 - 03:07 AM

There are some members who post too much :spam: because they want to raise their post count...

Is this even possible though?
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#2 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted December 24, 2008 - 09:03 AM

exhibit a: the "what are you listening to" thread

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 24, 2008 - 09:22 AM

Almost anything is possible.

The post count can be disabled in any forum, globally, removed from the left pane, removed from profiles...whatever.

I'm just not sure if that's a great idea, though. For one, I use post counts to recognize how long a member has been around, just a quick glance gives me an idea. Plus, if I see he's a new registered member, then I see his post count is incredibly high, I know he's probably trolling or post-padding.

#4 Kam

Kam

Basketball Immortality

• Site Admin
  • 2,455 posts
  • Name:Kam Pashai
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 24, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Instead, I feel that double posts need to be disabled.

Brandon, can we do that?

#5 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*
  • Guests

Posted December 24, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Which members are spamming?

Brandon, can we do that?

People just need to use the quote feature or edit their post.

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted December 24, 2008 - 12:39 PM

Brandon, can we do that?

Yep. It merges the two posts, but I'm not so sure it takes care of the post count.

#7 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted December 24, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Alot of ppl out there have no regards to using multi-quote or even bother about a single post for reply at one time.

Back when boards have no luxury of multi-quote, only the really abiding ones will bother to open each quote in a new window and copy the quote over to another window with the replies for 'multi-quote' replies.

This will definitely be a core problem, the only way I see the admins can aid in rectifying is to create a section of the board so that the posts in that section will not add up to the post counts.

Edit: Also, I am amused at the ways some members, in appreciation, quote one's post and not post anything themselves. I understand the logic of that to why bother posting something of yourself since the quote already said what you wanted to say. But, "I concur." or "I agree." is still a valid reply and not just a blank reply as witnessed previously.

Edited by lyk13, December 24, 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#8 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 24, 2008 - 07:05 PM

Damn, I guess I won't be able to do my same-digit screen shot posts anymore. (666, 777, 888, 999, 1111, 2222, 3333, 4444, 5555)

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#9 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,380 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted December 25, 2008 - 12:20 AM

Sometimes my posts double post automatically, and I am forced to delete one...not doing it purposely or anything.

#10 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*
  • Guests

Posted December 25, 2008 - 03:43 AM

^ Don't trip, you're no where even remotely close to even near the worst my friend. You are more than alright.

#11 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,869 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:02 AM

IF some one is spamming it's easier to talk with the person, I don't see the benefit of disabling the post count, the nice thing.
It's good to have some freedom, as long as it's not spamming I don't see a problem, imo.

Each person has it's reasons, If I quote and don't write anything, I'm not thinking, "oh i've got x number of post more"

Edited by netlord, December 25, 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#12 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• Banned
  • 6,790 posts

Posted December 25, 2008 - 01:53 PM

I hate the fact that some members insist that they have to post a new reply for everyone they're replying to. It's :censored: annoying. Use the multi-quote feature!

Edited by AkademikONE, December 25, 2008 - 10:39 PM.

#13 R0S4l3S<3

R0S4l3S<3

DSG FO LYFE!

• 2,147 posts
  • Name:Ashley
  • Fan Since:born laker fan!!!
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE all da way

Posted December 25, 2008 - 09:16 PM

I hate the fact that some members insist that they have to post a new reply for everyone they're replying to. It's :censor: annoying. Use the multi-quote feature!

:yes:
it gets annoying that sum people just wanna increase their post count so they start "supposivley" replying 2 things. i mean its not all about the post counts. does it matter so much of the number of posts u have.

Edited by Ashley, December 25, 2008 - 09:19 PM.

Posted Image
"JUST SAY SHOOT" KOBE GOES IT ALL THE WAY"
"BEHIND EVERY SUCCESSFUL PERSON, LIES A TON OF HATERS"

#14 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Almost anything is possible.

The post count can be disabled in any forum, globally, removed from the left pane, removed from profiles...whatever.

I'm just not sure if that's a great idea, though. For one, I use post counts to recognize how long a member has been around, just a quick glance gives me an idea. Plus, if I see he's a new registered member, then I see his post count is incredibly high, I know he's probably trolling or post-padding.

Ok, how about this one...

There is this one forum, where I can't make a new post after XX amount of seconds...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#15 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• Banned
  • 6,790 posts

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:40 PM

^Ah, the set amount of time before another one of your posts can be made.

#16 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:45 PM

Ok, how about this one...

There is this one forum, where I can't make a new post after XX amount of seconds...

That will be quite frustrating. Think of it as posting a reply in 2 different threads. Who will want that?

I for one can testify that it will be tremendously frustrating if that is applied.

#17 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*
  • Guests

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:48 PM

Are you guys talking about flood control? It won't work because you would have to set it for more than one minute and members would get really frustrated. This would only make members frustrated and make them leave.

You can't add it because nobody is flooding the forum.

Nobody is really flooding or spamming the forum.

#18 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,869 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted December 26, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Are you guys talking about flood control? It won't work because you would have to set it for more than one minute and members would get really frustrated. This would only make members frustrated and make them leave.

You can't add it because nobody is flooding the forum.

Nobody is really flooding or spamming the forum.

[/thread]

#19 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*
  • Guests

Posted December 27, 2008 - 01:31 AM

I hate the fact that some members insist that they have to post a new reply for everyone they're replying to. It's :censored: annoying. Use the multi-quote feature!

:yes:
it gets annoying that sum people just wanna increase their post count so they start "supposivley" replying 2 things. i mean its not all about the post counts. does it matter so much of the number of posts u have.

you guys mean like this:

http://lakernation.c...h...0&start=120

?

and this:

http://lakernation.c...h...0&start=210

?

#20 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,380 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted December 29, 2008 - 06:39 AM

Alot of ppl out there have no regards to using multi-quote or even bother about a single post for reply at one time.

Back when boards have no luxury of multi-quote, only the really abiding ones will bother to open each quote in a new window and copy the quote over to another window with the replies for 'multi-quote' replies.

This will definitely be a core problem, the only way I see the admins can aid in rectifying is to create a section of the board so that the posts in that section will not add up to the post counts.

Edit: Also, I am amused at the ways some members, in appreciation, quote one's post and not post anything themselves. I understand the logic of that to why bother posting something of yourself since the quote already said what you wanted to say. But, "I concur." or "I agree." is still a valid reply and not just a blank reply as witnessed previously.

I don't like the people who do that too, it's sort of annoying and it isn't an issue about post count for me, but even an "I agree" to me wouldn't be much of a valid post, why not add something to it, just saying you agree adds nothing to the thread except a post space. Real Deal, I have been a Member since August 10, 2008. There is a member with nearly 2,000 posts that signed up just 5 days before me. 60%+ of his posts are in ONE thread, and more than 100 this member has double posted. Post count doesn't always show how long someone has been a member. 2,000-400. Leads me to question, is there a way to stop this double posting and automaticly combine the "new" post to the old one to stop the double posting?

Edited by Base, December 29, 2008 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users