#1 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,055 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 03, 2008 - 11:48 PM

Yikes. So sad to hear... Will keep him and his family in my prayers. May God work a miracle in his life. :( :( :(

Apparently he was involved in a freak ATV accident and landed on his neck.

Former New Jersey Net Rodney Rogers was involved in an ATV accident on Friday, and as a result he is now paralyzed from the neck down. He is currently listed in serious condition in a Raleigh, NC hospital.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3738117
http://www.hoopsworl...?story_id=10794

#2 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,707 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted December 03, 2008 - 11:54 PM

wow, this is terrible news...ATVs are dangerous machines

RIP

Posted Image

#3 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:23 AM

extremely sad. i had a RR54 book fair poster in my room when i was a kid.
sucks.

#4 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:24 AM

RIP

he's still alive, bro.

#5 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted December 04, 2008 - 01:21 AM

Yeah I heard about this a few days ago... It's so sad man. He's such a good guy, never deserved this...

I met him and got his autograph and everything when he was on the Suns, just an all around good athlete, great personality he was really nice to me.

I'll definitely keep him and his family in my prayers.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#6 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,273 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted December 04, 2008 - 01:41 AM

wow, this is terrible news...ATVs are dangerous machines

RIP

i'm sorry but :lol:

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#7 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 787 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted December 04, 2008 - 09:35 AM

he's still alive, bro.

yea but... i almost wonder if it's worth living if you're paralyzed from shoulder down... u know?

especially for someone who played ball as a pro... must be tough as hell... poor rodgers. he was always a good guy in the league... this is very very tragic.

#8 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Just horrible to hear.

Damn.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#9 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:46 AM

oh man..that sucks
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#10 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:00 PM

Damn that sucks.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#11 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 11,417 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:03 PM

deng man thoughts and prayer god bless

#12 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,470 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:37 PM

Thats terrible news...I hope he can become as functional as possible.

#13 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,534 posts

Posted December 05, 2008 - 07:39 AM

Didnt know people still go on those ATV thingymajigs. wish the best for him..

#14 Guest_Nyla_*

Guest_Nyla_*
  • Guests

Posted December 05, 2008 - 09:41 AM

yea but... i almost wonder if it's worth living if you're paralyzed from shoulder down... u know?

especially for someone who played ball as a pro... must be tough as hell... poor rodgers. he was always a good guy in the league... this is very very tragic.

Haha depending on the level of injury and if he suffered a brain injjury as well, he'll still be able to function. Definitely not like he used to, but enough to have a quality life.

That said, I still feel awful for the guy. In 2001, I fell 18 feet from a treehouse and shattered one of the bones in my neck. I couldn't move or do anything for weeks...they thought I might never. In total, I spent probably over a year in rehab hospitals getting surgeries and learning how to do everything again. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. Its very humbling, but I don't wish it upon anyone.

Although for the most part I've gotten better (still can't walk all that well...not really at all at the moment and my sensation is not the same in some parts of my body and I'm in pain a lot), I'm a lot better off than a lot of people I met in the hospital. I'm still good frieds with one of the guys I met in there and he can't do like anything. He still lives his life though.

Its scary how within a split second you're life can be totally turned upside down. One minute your fine, the next you're laying in the hospital bed unsure about the rest of your life. My thoughs and prayers are with Rodney and his family. Its very sad. I hope he recovers well.

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,048 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 06, 2008 - 05:44 PM

God didn't seem to present when he got paralyzed.

This is awful awful news. Its got to be devastating - beyond devastating.

#16 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 36,165 posts

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:33 PM

ATLANTA — For the first time since he was paralyzed from the shoulders down three months ago, former Wake Forest and NBA basketball star Rodney Rogers is ready to talk.

He wants you to know his story. He wants you to understand he has not lost his faith. Or his hope.

Rogers, 37, sits in his wheelchair. On this day, he is dressed in black. The hands that once palmed a basketball so easily lie motionless. He now breathes with the help of a ventilator.

He played for 12 years in the NBA. He now needs constant care after breaking his neck in a dirt-bike accident last year.

"We went riding dirt bikes," Rogers says. "And going through the trail, I kind of hit a ditch and it flipped me over the handlebars. I thought I had my hands down. But I didn't. Fell on my head. Broke my neck."

He understands he is likely to be a quadriplegic for the rest of his life. But he dreams of lifting his hands again or rising from his wheelchair.

"I pray for that every day," Rogers said.

It was the day after Thanksgiving, Nov. 28. Some of his friends wanted to go to Vance County, about an hour north of Raleigh, to ride dirt bikes and four-wheelers. He had done a lot of that since retiring after his 12-year NBA career ended in 2005.

He was wearing a helmet. He wore protective gear on his arms and legs. "But not a neck brace," he says matter-of-factly.

The accident occurred in the afternoon, as he rode a dirt bike. He didn't see the ditch at first. When he did, he realized he was going too fast. He hit the ditch with the front wheel of the dirt bike.

"Then," Rogers says, "I bounced."

He flipped head-first over the handlebars. Even in the air, he says, he doesn't remember being concerned. As soon as he came down, he knew something was wrong. His friends circled back on their own vehicles to check on him.

"I never lost consciousness," Rogers says. "I told them when they came back and got me: 'I think I done messed up and broke my neck.' I didn't feel nothing. I couldn't move my arms, couldn't move my legs. I knew it wasn't right."

http://www.news-reco...im_still_rodney

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#17 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,826 posts

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:50 PM

i get what you're saying but just because it sucks to be paralyzed doesnt mean the dude is dead.. and who are we to say he cant enjoy life because he's paralyzed? a life is a life no matter how big, small, crappy, awesome, etc it is.

#18 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 12:03 AM

In memory of Rodney's mobility

Hope he can get well

#19 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,451 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:23 PM

i get what you're saying but just because it sucks to be paralyzed doesnt mean the dude is dead.. and who are we to say he cant enjoy life because he's paralyzed? a life is a life no matter how big, small, crappy, awesome, etc it is.

Amen.

Think of all the lives Rodney Rogers may now reach, due to his current predicament that he may have never reached before.

There are plenty of ex-ballers out there (and yes, each of their lives is important, too); but Rodney now has a special story.

Once he comes to terms with his accident and current situation, he can begin to focus in on what he can accomplish.

He still has his mind, his soul, and the ability to communicate.

May he accomplish great things.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#20 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*
  • Guests

Posted May 28, 2009 - 05:01 PM

I feel really bad for Rodney Rodgers.

Did anyone watch the special interview with Rodney Rodgers on TNT?

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users