31 replies to this topic

#21 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,983 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 05, 2020 - 10:03 PM

While Collison would be great and would be more than the Lakers can ask for in a mid-season free agency pick up, I still have concerns.

- He's been out of the game, trying out a career that has nothing to do with basketball. At least when Melo was gone, he was trying to get back into the league. What kind of shape is Collison in? And, does mentally being away from basketball affect him?

- I really don't want to wait that long. LeBron is doing so much to carry this team, and the supporting cast is getting worse and worse. The Lakers looked like complete trash out there today against the Pistons even with AD out there in no-LeBron lineups.

- I want a more prolific scorer. Collison will help with the play-making and shooting, but he's never really been the kind of guy that puts up a lot of points. I think the Lakers need someone beyond LeBron and AD who can put up a lot of points. We can't really trust Kuzma right now.

#22 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 5,057 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 06, 2020 - 10:10 AM

Lakers are also willing to listen to offers for Kuzma.  Good idea but I think we could have gotten more for him earlier in the season.

With him still on a rookie deal you can't trade for much alone, and we still need some youth, all these old guys need a break and Kuz will shape up.

• Mastas likes this

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,701 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 12, 2020 - 03:55 PM

Team showed the world what they are capable of

#24 Mastas

Mastas

Rookie

• 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:started watching NBA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 12, 2020 - 05:56 PM

Team showed the world what they are capable of

I agree. But also one game. It was probably a mixture of LAL coming in prepared knowing their starts are out, and OKC thinking it'll be an easy win. But nonetheless it was great to see that the team is capable of holding down the fort if we need them to.

#25 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,981 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 13, 2020 - 02:56 PM

With him still on a rookie deal you can't trade for much alone, and we still need some youth, all these old guys need a break and Kuz will shape up.

Trades can be made with willing partners if they get something they want.  People use the "salary" excuse for Kuzma because they want to keep him (Trevor Lane has a Kuzma OBSESSION)...not because getting value for Kuzma is impossible.

And we aren't worried about young legs vs old legs.  We need "win now" pieces.  Tomorrow Championships aren't promised for anyone.

If we keep Kuzma at all costs, don't win Ch'ips with LBJ and AD, Kuzma suffers a career ending injury, was it worth it because "he was young"?

We have a legit chance to win this year.  Take advantage of it and tie BOSTON...

• LACAS likes this

#26 LACAS

LACAS

Starter

• 4,251 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 13, 2020 - 03:58 PM

Trades can be made with willing partners if they get something they want.  People use the "salary" excuse for Kuzma because they want to keep him (Trevor Lane has a Kuzma OBSESSION)...not because getting value for Kuzma is impossible.

And we aren't worried about young legs vs old legs.  We need "win now" pieces.  Tomorrow Championships aren't promised for anyone.

If we keep Kuzma at all costs, don't win Ch'ips with LBJ and AD, Kuzma suffers a career ending injury, was it worth it because "he was young"?

We have a legit chance to win this year.  Take advantage of it and tie BOSTON...

What do you think we can fetch for Kuzma? Personally Im truly not sure about the return.

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

#27 BynumLover

BynumLover

Rookie

• 165 posts
  • Name:Fábio Silva
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 13, 2020 - 04:12 PM

Would you do Kuz for Rose?

#28 Mastas

Mastas

Rookie

• 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:started watching NBA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2020 - 06:43 PM

Would you do Kuz for Rose?

No.

Kuz is young and long term. Don't get me wrong, i wanted D.Rose this off-season and still would to have him in the team. Just not for Kuz for D.Rose trade.

Edited by Mastas, January 13, 2020 - 06:44 PM.

#29 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,615 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 13, 2020 - 10:04 PM

I'm fine keeping Kuzma, and I'm fine if a trade to make the team better comes along.

By now, and especially watching this team, I'd hope this whole "he's young" garbage would subside.  Youth doesn't mean squat.  If you can improve your team you do.  As it stands, I'm not sure the return would be better than the cost controlled contract of Kuzma and where he fits in with this team.

if the Lakers are hot to deal him, I'd think they'll wait until summer to do so.

I'm cool with Collision if he wants to join, but I still think a guy like Jamal Crawford would be a much better fit.

• LACAS likes this

#30 noknife

noknife

All-Star

• 5,664 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 14, 2020 - 08:39 AM

I'm fine keeping Kuzma, and I'm fine if a trade to make the team better comes along.

By now, and especially watching this team, I'd hope this whole "he's young" garbage would subside.  Youth doesn't mean squat.  If you can improve your team you do.  As it stands, I'm not sure the return would be better than the cost controlled contract of Kuzma and where he fits in with this team.

if the Lakers are hot to deal him, I'd think they'll wait until summer to do so.

I'm cool with Collision if he wants to join, but I still think a guy like Jamal Crawford would be a much better fit.

I agree, and I'm no fan of Crawford.  The Laker have lineups that are able to dominate other teams at a level that every other team in the league just cannot match, period.  It is obvious watching just the Lakers games, and if you watch a lot of other games its even more obvious.  The Lakers need guys who can give the guys in their best lineups a breather, the Lakers "A" lineup will be able to consistently build leads against the opposition and the bench really only needs to hold the lead or give up a small amount of it over a five minute period, not expand on it.  A guy like Crawford gets buckets, and while he doesn't defend well at all, trading buckets and wasting time with a lead is a totally reasonable and winning strategy.  

• fido and LACAS like this

#31 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 5,195 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 14, 2020 - 10:15 AM

No.

Kuz is young and long term. Don't get me wrong, i wanted D.Rose this off-season and still would to have him in the team. Just not for Kuz for D.Rose trade.

Ideally we could trade salary filler and our 2020 first round pick but this year we can't trade our pick until draft day. Also, I'd wait to see what happens with Collison first. Push come to shove though I would not hold onto Kuzma simply because he is young and "long term."

I look at what the Celtics are doing and I get it for long term success but our window to do that closed when we traded away Russell and traded our whole team plus picks for AD. We are built to win RIGHT NOW. I guarantee you we will not pass up an opportunity to improve right now thinking about what might be 2-3 years down the line. Kuz is a nice young player but he's not anything special. Players like Morris and Bogdanovich signed with the Knicks and Jazz so I'm not worried about losing a talent like Kuzma. He's also due for a big raise next summer so long term he's going to be making a lot more money.

Edited by lakerfan98, January 14, 2020 - 10:33 AM.

• LACAS likes this

#32 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 5,057 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 14, 2020 - 12:09 PM

There was no inference to" keep at all costs" try to stick to facts stated rather than create conflict that isn't made!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users