#1 lildvl10

lildvl10

Starter

• 4,337 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted October 07, 2019 - 12:14 PM

https://twitter.com/...2287666176?s=21

Houston Rockets star James Harden has offered an apology as the controversy over general manager Daryl Morey's tweet of support for Hong Kong protesters continues to grow at a crucial time for the NBA in China.

Money does really talk. I still believe in free speech but morey probably had no idea of hong kong’s/china’s history. Nba and especially the rockets will be affected by this.

Edited by lildvl10, October 07, 2019 - 12:16 PM.

#2 lildvl10

lildvl10

Starter

• 4,337 posts

Posted October 07, 2019 - 01:31 PM

Good point from stephen a smith. Just because you have free speech does not mean you can run your mouth on an issue you have no real idea on what’s happening,
especially if you are representing something bigger than you. hopefully this relationship can be repaired since i am pretty sure china is one of the biggest money makers for nba.

#3 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,256 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 08, 2019 - 12:50 PM

Remember if you support China's right to basically censor a foreigner, they are also basically censoring all of us. 

Silver has taken the correct stand here. If that means no more NBA in China, then no more NBA in China. 

• Persian Gulf and PurpleNgoldBanners like this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#4 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,989 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 08, 2019 - 12:57 PM

If China wants to overreact to one GMs comments let them, it's their loss. Ppl are allowed to have opinions, deal with it. I support how the NBA and Adam Silver have responded to this.
  • kray28 and Persian Gulf like this

#5 lildvl10

lildvl10

Starter

• 4,337 posts

Posted October 08, 2019 - 01:37 PM

Remember if you support China's right to basically censor a foreigner, they are also basically censoring all of us.
Silver has taken the correct stand here. If that means no more NBA in China, then no more NBA in China.

I agree. I did not hear anything about silver saying that he supported what morey said but he supports “free speech” i dont get it why china is saying that silver is supporting what morey said.
If silver said i support what morey tweeted then its a different story.

#6 lildvl10

lildvl10

Starter

• 4,337 posts

Posted October 08, 2019 - 01:43 PM

I wonder if the lakers will still play. Any news?

#7 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 08, 2019 - 06:57 PM

Cap and league revenue is jeopardy of a hitand at what cost? I say a good one. [expletive] their govt
  • -Wade- likes this

ap1.png

#8 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,526 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 08, 2019 - 09:13 PM

It seems like we should know pretty soon whether or not the Lakers and Nets are going to play their games in China. This latest cancellation is the most recent sign that those games seem unlikely to take place. https://t.co/uRlyhtI0a1

“The Lakers & Nets will address the media in Shanghai 4 hours from now. Since the NBA touched down in China, 2 NBA Cares events have been canceled...several Chinese celebrities have backed out of appearances around the games as have corp. sponsors.”

Via @mcten https://t.co/AhfX2KI8WM
  • lildvl10 likes this

#9 lildvl10

lildvl10

Starter

• 4,337 posts

Posted October 09, 2019 - 12:19 AM

It seems like we should know pretty soon whether or not the Lakers and Nets are going to play their games in China. This latest cancellation is the most recent sign that those games seem unlikely to take place. https://t.co/uRlyhtI0a1

“The Lakers & Nets will address the media in Shanghai 4 hours from now. Since the NBA touched down in China, 2 NBA Cares events have been canceled...several Chinese celebrities have backed out of appearances around the games as have corp. sponsors.”

Via @mcten https://t.co/AhfX2KI8WM

Thanks for the info
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this

#10 AndreyB

AndreyB

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Name:Drey
  • Fan Since:87
  • Fav. Laker:Karim

Posted October 09, 2019 - 01:11 AM

To me the point that those 2 - China and Hong Kong - do not like each other.  Usually there are both valid and wrong reasons for the dislike from both sides.  China's State controlled media would very negatively cover the Hong Kong protests as, hey, mass rioting is going on, these people are just crushing everything out there, multiple Chinese nationals injured, stuff like that.  That is what Chinese fans of NBA would mostly know about the Hong Kong stuff.  And then there is that "freedom support" Rockets tweet.  Sure, I am exaggerating here just to better explain.  Plus all those cultural differences with China from freedom of speech to "humiliating" people by dunking on them.  Looked like his little kid just took his iphone in his absence. Hopefully it all will get resolved soon.

Edited by AndreyB, October 09, 2019 - 01:12 AM.

• lonlyamongus likes this

#11 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,396 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted October 10, 2019 - 01:01 PM

Morey shouldnt even tweeted. Just stay in ur lane. 

• lildvl10 and lonlyamongus like this

Make Lakers Great Again. 

#12 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,372 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted October 10, 2019 - 02:44 PM

Hong Kong riots are border line terrorism.  supporting them is like supporting ISIS.  China gov. didn't censor Morey because he supports Hong Kong, they censored him because that slogan happens to be chanted by the rioters while burning chinese flags, destroying shops, beating people on the streets who speak mandarin or disagrees with them and toss molotovs at the cops.  

like Persian Gulf said, Morey should've stay out of this and kept his mouth shut unless he really know what is going on.

Edited by lonlyamongus, October 10, 2019 - 02:46 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#13 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 7,352 posts
  • Name:Wade
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2019 - 06:43 PM

Hong Kong riots are border line terrorism.  supporting them is like supporting ISIS.  China gov. didn't censor Morey because he supports Hong Kong, they censored him because that slogan happens to be chanted by the rioters while burning chinese flags, destroying shops, beating people on the streets who speak mandarin or disagrees with them and toss molotovs at the cops.  

like Persian Gulf said, Morey should've stay out of this and kept his mouth shut unless he really know what is going on.

Supporting the Chinese government is actually supporting something worse. China kidnaps people from Hong Kong all the time and disappears people for critiquing their government. I know people in Hong Kong, talk to them.

Let's fill in the blanks:

_______ forces ________ to denounce their religion, throws them into prison camps, and rapes them.....

Not talking about ISIS in those blanks. The Chinese government forces the Uighurs to denounce their religion, throws them into prison camps, and rapes them. That regime is responsible for some of the biggest human rights violations in the 21st century, and nobody blinks an eye because of money.

If Colin Kapernick can get a Nike deal for kneeling during the national anthem, a GM can tweet his piece about Hong Kong.

• lakerfan98 likes this

0iNkSmB.jpg

Q: When you take off your jersey for the final time, what will you leave behind on the court?
A: "My heart and soul." --Kobe Bryant

#14 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,989 posts

Posted October 11, 2019 - 12:25 PM

Hong Kong riots are border line terrorism. supporting them is like supporting ISIS. China gov. didn't censor Morey because he supports Hong Kong, they censored him because that slogan happens to be chanted by the rioters while burning chinese flags, destroying shops, beating people on the streets who speak mandarin or disagrees with them and toss molotovs at the cops.

Oh word...what's REALLY going on then? Lol

I won't deny these riots have turned violent but to suggest the Chinese government are the good guys in this situation is laughable. Supporting Hong Kong protesters is like supporting ISIS? Tells me everything I need to know dude.

#15 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,989 posts

Posted October 11, 2019 - 12:25 PM

Supporting the Chinese government is actually supporting something worse. China kidnaps people from Hong Kong all the time and disappears people for critiquing their government. I know people in Hong Kong, talk to them.

Let's fill in the blanks:

_______ forces ________ to denounce their religion, throws them into prison camps, and rapes them.....

Not talking about ISIS in those blanks. The Chinese government forces the Uighurs to denounce their religion, throws them into prison camps, and rapes them. That regime is responsible for some of the biggest human rights violations in the 21st century, and nobody blinks an eye because of money.

If Colin Kapernick can get a Nike deal for kneeling during the national anthem, a GM can tweet his piece about Hong Kong.

Preach
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this

#16 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,629 posts

Posted October 13, 2019 - 03:26 AM

Any conversation related to sovereignty is a sensitive one and should be dealt with care.

Morey should not have spoken as an outsider whose line of business has nothing to do with diplomacy, nor history.

fXlFKv8.gif

#17 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 13, 2019 - 03:42 AM

Hong Kong riots are border line terrorism. supporting them is like supporting ISIS. China gov. didn't censor Morey because he supports Hong Kong, they censored him because that slogan happens to be chanted by the rioters while burning chinese flags, destroying shops, beating people on the streets who speak mandarin or disagrees with them and toss molotovs at the cops.

if they are rioting there must be a severe outcry for it...

ap1.png

#18 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Stay Woke

• 1,304 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted October 16, 2019 - 07:26 PM

I fully support HK’s fight for freedom. Chinese censorship in full effect right now

#19 AndreyB

AndreyB

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Name:Drey
  • Fan Since:87
  • Fav. Laker:Karim

Posted October 18, 2019 - 01:45 PM

Complex issue. China originally lost control over Hong Kong after being defeated in Opium wars. https://en.wikipedia...eaty_of_Nanking

Since they couldn't defend themselves and had to let foreigners sell opium inside China they lost estimated up to a half of their population because of higher death rate from opium consumption. It was quite long ago, but the losses suffered were extremely significant.
To me it should be "No comments" on the HK issue as far as NBA GMs or players involved. Otherwise, because of the complexity of the issue, there are no right or wrong answers here, both China and HK have their valid arguments.

#20 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,517 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted October 18, 2019 - 02:18 PM

Complex issue. China originally lost control over Hong Kong after being defeated in Opium wars. https://en.wikipedia...eaty_of_Nanking

Since they couldn't defend themselves and had to let foreigners sell opium inside China they lost estimated up to a half of their population because of higher death rate from opium consumption. It was quite long ago, but the losses suffered were extremely significant.
To me it should be "No comments" on the HK issue as far as NBA GMs or players involved. Otherwise, because of the complexity of the issue, there are no right or wrong answers here, both China and HK have their valid arguments.

The situation is complex and I get the outrage about someone not saying something, that is the society we live in. They will criticize Bron on social media using their Chinese made cellphones in their Chinese made nikes, and not even notice the hypocrisy in that they financially support the regime they are rallying against. Doesn’t matter where you fall on this. The correct play for morey was to wait to send his tweet until the players were back in America, rather than turn their trip into a nightmare and possibly endanger them.time and place for everything and he chose poorly.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users