38 replies to this topic

#21 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 6,120 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2019 - 03:13 PM

its because OKC is not a long term option for a player. very small market value, no loyalty.. etc.. 

if you want to have a better future there's no other place to be but in LA.

Sam Presti is still riding the praise for those 3 picks, but in reality he's to blame, I think. Trading away Harden over a few million was a stupid move in hindsight, and then surrounding Westbrook and Durant with a poor supporting cast... it's tough to keep making excuses. To me, he should be known as the guy who just lost all 3 and Paul George. Overrated. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, July 12, 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#22 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,950 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2019 - 03:17 PM

Sam Presti is still riding the praise for those 3 picks, but in reality he's to blame, I think. Trading away Harden over a few million was a stupid move in hindsight, and then surrounding Westbrook and Durant with a poor supporting cast... it's tough to keep making excuses. To me, he should be known as the guy who just lost all 3 and Paul George. Overrated.

I think it was more Bennett who didn't want to pay for Harden having already paid Durant and Westbrook. Presti also drafted Steven Adams, Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green, Andre Roberson.

#23 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,753 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 12, 2019 - 03:22 PM

The league should move them back to Seattle. Now is the perfect time.
  • -Wade- likes this

#24 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,950 posts

Posted July 12, 2019 - 03:31 PM

There's a 22% stake in the Thunder for sale. Trimming salary helps with investors.

#25 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 6,120 posts

Posted July 12, 2019 - 03:34 PM

I think it was more Bennett who didn't want to pay for Harden having already paid Durant and Westbrook. Presti also drafted Steven Adams, Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green, Andre Roberson.

He should stick to drafting then

#26 PerseusKobe

PerseusKobe

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Name:Perseus Kobe
  • Fan Since:since kobe bryant was drafted.
  • Fav. Laker:no other than Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2019 - 03:38 PM

they didn't expect harden to be that good. he's only a 6th man during his time in OKC. he just exploded when he's not with KD and WB.  OKC management should learn how to invest in order to increase their market value. 

1552fec.png

#27 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Stay Woke

• 1,301 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted July 12, 2019 - 08:17 PM

The problem with OKC is their owner didn’t want to pay luxury tax to keep everyone. I can see Giannis leaving due to the same thing. No such thing as loyalty in sports
  • lakerfan98 likes this

#28 Wilfred

Wilfred

All-Star

• 6,961 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 13, 2019 - 11:03 AM

Houston will be much improved due to the trade - scary good in fact.  I am sure Westbrook and Harden will find a way to coexist. They are good enough basketball players to adjust a little.

#29 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,305 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 13, 2019 - 02:00 PM

Presti has proven that he can get lucky in the draft, then kill whatever he's built.  You don't win with youth in the draft, you simply don't.  You win with proven veterans.  Trading this then going for the draft has been a historical disaster.  It's been shown over and over and over again (the Lakers stupid experiment with youth should've finally driven the nail home).  You may win with youth in the draft but you have to get transcendent generational talent, then build around it.  IF that happens, it will likely take decades. They got super lucky nabbing three stars and managed to piss it all away due to bad management.

Presti should be out and out fired.

There's no success on OKC.  They've won nothing.  They got close one year and it all imploded because of petulance and impatience.

I again fail to see how Houston improves with this.

#30 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,950 posts

Posted July 13, 2019 - 02:31 PM

Presti has proven that he can get lucky in the draft, then kill whatever he's built. You don't win with youth in the draft, you simply don't. You win with proven veterans. Trading this then going for the draft has been a historical disaster. It's been shown over and over and over again (the Lakers stupid experiment with youth should've finally driven the nail home). You may win with youth in the draft but you have to get transcendent generational talent, then build around it. IF that happens, it will likely take decades. They got super lucky nabbing three stars and managed to piss it all away due to bad management.

There's no success on OKC. They've won nothing. They got close one year and it all imploded because of petulance and impatience.

I disagree with every word of this. Sam Presti is a great GM. Clay Bennett is cheap. If Presti was the GM of a big market team their dynasty would have never died in its infancy. OKC will never attract top free agents they have to operate differently. Not all NBA franchises and cities are the same. Comparing our situation with theirs is ignorant. The Thunder were going to blow it up next summer anyway now they don't have to hang onto a soon to be 31 year old Westbrook for another season of mediocrity. Howard Beck wrote a great article about this on Bleacher Report you should read it.

#31 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Stay Woke

• 1,301 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted July 13, 2019 - 02:38 PM

I disagree with every word of this. Sam Presti is a great GM. Clay Bennett is cheap. If Presti was the GM of a big market team their dynasty would have never died in its infancy. OKC will never attract top free agents they have to operate differently. Not all NBA franchises and cities are the same. Comparing our situation with theirs is ignorant. The Thunder were going to blow it up next summer anyway now they don't have to hang onto a soon to be 31 year old Westbrook for another season of mediocrity. Howard Beck wrote a great article about this on Bleacher Report you should read it.

I agree. Sam Presti seems hampered by an owner not willing to spend money to win it all.

#32 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,950 posts

Posted July 13, 2019 - 03:08 PM

Also the Lakers stupid experiment with youth directly lead to them getting AD soooooo.....

And idk man drafting seems like a pretty good route to success historically. Magic, Worthy, Jordan, Pippen, Olajuwon, Duncan, Robinson, Kawhi, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Dirk, the Warriors sans Durant.

Edited by lakerfan98, July 13, 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#33 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,305 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 13, 2019 - 07:49 PM

Yep, and it buried them for a decade as well.

Assets - that's all youth is, not a tool to, or a method of winning.  The Lakers were relying on youth to somehow win for them, to get them closer to a ring, that was stupid.  I said it from day one, and I'll stand by it.  In the NBA you don't win with kids - ever.  OKC now has a bunch of picks in a trade market that is either dead or will be pretty inactive for a good long time, save for tiny secondary movement.  Hoarding draft picks does nothing for you in the long or short run.  They're little bingo chips, made for gambling, not for winning, ask Danny Ainge.

All those names you mentioned are transcendent talent, I said that.  If you get lucky and circumstances fall right sure.  For the most part, and the vast majority of the NBA, the draft is a rabbit hole few ever recover from.  The names you mentioned allowed 9 teams to win a ring.  9 teams that had perfect circumstances and generational talent fall to them.  There are 21 other NBA teams that either didn't win that way, or continue to struggle because of their misguided fascination with youth in the NBA.

Re: Presti

Call me when he wins a ring.  Success for a GM isn't measured in playoff appearances or regular season wins, it's measured in championships.  If his owner is that bad or oppressive then he should leave for another job.  If Presti is that good, someone will hire him straight away.  If he stays under this owner, then the guy is playing it safe with a team that doesn't challenge him to build a winning team.  That's a weak GM.  Either way, the guy has dragged the Thunder (and their fans) into futility for decades.

This is a bad, desperate trade for both teams.  Hell, I don't care it knocks Houston and Oklahoma out of the box for contention, less obstacles to deal with for the Lakers.

#34 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,950 posts

Posted July 14, 2019 - 09:42 AM

I swear you just repeat yourself. How you get veterans in 2019 is developing them or trading for them. What do you trade for them? Young players and or draft picks. Either that or you rely on free agency. The top dogs will go to the best position for themselves. Example LeBron doesn't go back to Cleveland unless they have Kyrie and the #1 pick. Kept Kyrie traded Wiggins for Love. Either that or you can be one of the many stupid teams this summer who overpayed for veteran free agents on multi year deals. OKC doesn't have to build the exact same way again. Fans like you would have traded all our youth and picks away for B level talent and we never would have had the cap space for LeBron or the assets for AD. Fact. Prob something hopefully resembling the Spurs. Veteran team that's going absolutely nowhere. You talk about championships? Those teams above won like 32 championships but yea split between 9 teams lol. Frankly I think this is just impatience disguised as a team building philosophy. Building a real, lasting contender takes time and lumps. It takes a combination of draft, trades, and free agency and it can't be rushed. I'll take 5 years of losing to get what we've got now any day and twice on Sundays rather than have the likes of Demar DeRozan, Lamarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, etc.

#35 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,950 posts

Posted July 14, 2019 - 10:01 AM

Now matter how you slice it this was necessary. Would you prefer we operated like the Heat? Mortgaging the future for Jimmy Butler and now probably Chris Paul? They'll make the playoffs in the East oh boy totally worth it.

#36 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,753 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 15, 2019 - 11:03 AM

I swear you just repeat yourself. How you get veterans in 2019 is developing them or trading for them. What do you trade for them? Young players and or draft picks. Either that or you rely on free agency. The top dogs will go to the best position for themselves. Example LeBron doesn't go back to Cleveland unless they have Kyrie and the #1 pick. Kept Kyrie traded Wiggins for Love. Either that or you can be one of the many stupid teams this summer who overpayed for veteran free agents on multi year deals. OKC doesn't have to build the exact same way again. Fans like you would have traded all our youth and picks away for B level talent and we never would have had the cap space for LeBron or the assets for AD. Fact. Prob something hopefully resembling the Spurs. Veteran team that's going absolutely nowhere. You talk about championships? Those teams above won like 32 championships but yea split between 9 teams lol. Frankly I think this is just impatience disguised as a team building philosophy. Building a real, lasting contender takes time and lumps. It takes a combination of draft, trades, and free agency and it can't be rushed. I'll take 5 years of losing to get what we've got now any day and twice on Sundays rather than have the likes of Demar DeRozan, Lamarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, etc.

I get where you’re coming from but a competent GM would’ve traded Westbrook to New York or something. Trading him to Houston literally [expletive]ed that team for years. What’s the purpose of the picks if Houston is in the semis every year. So you traded Westbrook for a bunch of picks in the 20s? You’ve literally lost 3 generational talents and have nothing absolutely nothing to show for it. Get a 3rd teams involved. Something. This just seems horrible for OKC

#37 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,950 posts

Posted July 16, 2019 - 10:08 AM

I get where you’re coming from but a competent GM would’ve traded Westbrook to New York or something. Trading him to Houston literally [expletive]ed that team for years. What’s the purpose of the picks if Houston is in the semis every year. So you traded Westbrook for a bunch of picks in the 20s? You’ve literally lost 3 generational talents and have nothing absolutely nothing to show for it. Get a 3rd teams involved. Something. This just seems horrible for OKC

Knicks clearly took the direction of signing guys to 2 year deals to load up for 2021 once they struck out in free agency. Don't think Westbrook is on their radar with the years and money left on his deal. You have to factor in his contract in terms of the type of package they could get back. And he's about to be 31. What exactly do you think the Knicks would have given up for him? RJ is a non starter obviously.

#38 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 24,313 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar

Posted July 16, 2019 - 08:02 PM

Presti has proven that he can get lucky in the draft, then kill whatever he's built.  You don't win with youth in the draft, you simply don't.  You win with proven veterans.  Trading this then going for the draft has been a historical disaster.  It's been shown over and over and over again (the Lakers stupid experiment with youth should've finally driven the nail home).  You may win with youth in the draft but you have to get transcendent generational talent, then build around it.  IF that happens, it will likely take decades. They got super lucky nabbing three stars and managed to piss it all away due to bad management.

There's no success on OKC.  They've won nothing.  They got close one year and it all imploded because of petulance and impatience.

Why do you hate young players so much 

#39 BynumLover

BynumLover

Rookie

• 109 posts
  • Name:Fábio Silva

Posted July 16, 2019 - 08:59 PM

I would say Presti has a well designed plan for CP3 that don't end up torching 100 millions.
He just trade their franchise player for him and some picks. He should get fired if they buy him out or attach their picks to a trade. It will make Westbrook trade look the most ridiculous ever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users