2 replies to this topic

#1 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,382 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted April 22, 2019 - 07:45 PM

Hi, I used to be a regular poster here on the forums years ago. Unfortunately, I don’t have as much time as I used too and had to sacrifice my time here on the forums. I still love the NBA and my Lakers. As some of you may know, I love statistics and with the NBA playoffs upon us, I stumbled upon an old excel sheet that I started and never finished.

I was listing each and every playoff game, along with score and seeding to determine how much of a chance does a team have when they are up 2-1 in a series or down 1-2, or 0-2 or any situation that can come up in the playoffs. Over the years, there have been hundreds upon hundreds of games and the data input is tedious but rewarding.

I was wondering if any of you would like to help me complete my list by looking at the historical data from basketball reference. I am missing a bunch of data and would actually like to see this finally complete. Without help, it would probably take me to the end of the year to complete with consistency. I actually would love to get it done by the completion of this years playoffs if possible.

Would anyone like to help? Comment here. If I get enough responses, I can send the data that I would need on separate excel sheets, so people aren’t doing double work and I can verify data is correct.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer except that you are helping out input historical data that isn’t kept nearly as accurate...(How many teams have come back from a 2-0 deficit after losing by an average of 24?). That’s data that would be exciting and great to have.

Thanks in advance.
  • bfc1125roy likes this

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 6,122 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 23, 2019 - 09:29 AM

Hi, I used to be a regular poster here on the forums years ago. Unfortunately, I don’t have as much time as I used too and had to sacrifice my time here on the forums. I still love the NBA and my Lakers. As some of you may know, I love statistics and with the NBA playoffs upon us, I stumbled upon an old excel sheet that I started and never finished.

I was listing each and every playoff game, along with score and seeding to determine how much of a chance does a team have when they are up 2-1 in a series or down 1-2, or 0-2 or any situation that can come up in the playoffs. Over the years, there have been hundreds upon hundreds of games and the data input is tedious but rewarding.

I was wondering if any of you would like to help me complete my list by looking at the historical data from basketball reference. I am missing a bunch of data and would actually like to see this finally complete. Without help, it would probably take me to the end of the year to complete with consistency. I actually would love to get it done by the completion of this years playoffs if possible.

Would anyone like to help? Comment here. If I get enough responses, I can send the data that I would need on separate excel sheets, so people aren’t doing double work and I can verify data is correct.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer except that you are helping out input historical data that isn’t kept nearly as accurate...(How many teams have come back from a 2-0 deficit after losing by an average of 24?). That’s data that would be exciting and great to have.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have the time to help unfortunately. But I would look at something like this, which might speed the process up significantly compared to manual data entry: https://github.com/j...nce_web_scraper

#3 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,382 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted April 28, 2019 - 12:05 AM

I don't have the time to help unfortunately. But I would look at something like this, which might speed the process up significantly compared to manual data entry: https://github.com/j...nce_web_scraper

Thank you for the help, unfortunately, the data will need to be put in manually. It'll be an arduous process, but I can do it little by little. 

Right now, I have roughly 1,900 more games to input, then put each game in the order I need to put it in. But once the data is all there the order it's in is just to look good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users