74 replies to this topic

#61 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,939 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 16, 2019 - 12:28 PM

If Williams is running the 76'ers offense, I'm a little nervous about what he'll do here. Ben Simmons (a non shooting guard) is clogging their offense for everyone. We have someone similar (Ball). 

With Lue, the Cavs transition defense was always pretty pathetic. If we play at a higher pace, that problem is going to get magnified. That would be my primary concern with him.

• Olabebeh and lakerfan98 like this

#62 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,939 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 03:43 PM

Here's my breakdown on Williams:

It's tough to judge how Monty Williams will be as a coach based on his Pelicans tenure. That team went through a lot of [expletive]. CP3 trade, trying to develop Davis, being owned by 3 different people, etc. Injuries were rampant as well. There was never a strong identity and Williams was honestly dealt a bad hand.

Now I recognize you can say the exact same about Luke. However, despite the FO madness, bad roster, and injuries, we all saw Luke did very little to optimize the situation. Running offensive sets that exasperated our already poor spacing, refusing to upgrade his staff, not installing second or third options in his playbook, etc. Now I, nor likely anyone else on this board, didn't watch enough Pelicans games back then to know how well Williams tried to "make the best of what he had."

If you go back to the stats, the Pelicans under Williams weren't a great team, but again, that is to be expected given their roster. He never had a player like LeBron James, either. They did not move the ball much on offense, shot very few 3s (albeit at a high %), and played questionable defense for a supposed defensive-minded coach. Williams preferred to attack a defense via dribble penetration quickly before it got set. His rotations were also the subject of a lot of criticism. Now, this sounds a lot like Walton, to be fair.

I would expect Williams has probably learned a lot during his recent tenures as an assistant coach. Watching Brett Brown's motion-heavy offense hopefully has influenced him. Plus, the game has changed a lot in the past few years. When Williams was a head coach, it was transitioning between more old and new school playstyles. Now, it's almost entirely modern offenses.

It's tough to say what Williams will do as a Laker head coach. I don't know what his staff will look like, nor our roster for that matter. We all hoped Luke would bring in elements of the Warrior offense and defense to the Lakers, but he honestly didn't. So whether Williams uses Spurs and 76'ers stuff for us is a question mark.

Regarding his playbook, it wasn't great, but not bad either. Lot of it was centered around Davis, and if we don't have him next year, I don't know what Williams plans on doing.

In short, Williams is probably the higher risk option and a bigger question mark. He has the potential to be a lot like Walton, but if he really has learned something in recent years, could be exactly what we need. Lue on the other hand, we likely know how he will coach James and what his schemes are. Not exactly a motion heavy offense, but lots of good stuff. However he also has the tendency to over rely on James ISO to create, and not to mention the extremely poor transition defense. I also don't know if there's a recruiting element to this, i.e. does Williams or Lue have a better draw with certain FAs.

If we get Leonard and Davis though, I doubt any of this matters that much. Even a very basic offense will do the trick, and Leonard and Davis are good enough defensive players to figure it out on that end.

Edited by bfc1125roy, April 16, 2019 - 05:40 PM.

#63 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,224 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 16, 2019 - 05:35 PM

I think we can make this simple.

Ask the 2019 Max Free Agents which coach they like.  The coach with the most votes get the job.

• FranklinPeanuts, BORNINLA, DaSmoothOperator and 1 other like this

#64 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,939 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 05:40 PM

I think we can make this simple.

Ask the 2019 Max Free Agents which coach they like.  The coach with the most votes get the job.

This is probably the best approach. The better FAs we have, the less the coach matters.

• GCMD likes this

#65 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,224 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 05:43 PM

This is probably the best approach. The better FAs we have, the less the coach matters.

And it's a lot easier to get players to buy in with a coach they like.

If LeBron and another max player likes the coach, the rest of the team will fall in line or get shipped out.

• DaSmoothOperator and bfc1125roy like this

#66 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,939 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 06:29 PM

Colin CowherdVerified account @ColinCowherd
FollowFollow @ColinCowherd
More

Lakers brass interviewing Monty Williams on East Coast tonight. Told he is Lakers FIRST choice. Also told if Sixers disappoint in playoffs, Monty Williams gets Sixers gig. He will take that over Lakers opening. Therefore opening up LA job for Ty Lue.

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

#67 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Stay Woke

• 1,183 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted April 16, 2019 - 07:13 PM

Man if the choices are between Ty Lue, Juwan Howard and Monty Williams. I rather have none of the above

• BORNINLA and ArabicMamba like this

#68 ArabicMamba

ArabicMamba

All-Star

• 5,755 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM

Man if the choices are between Ty Lue, Juwan Howard and Monty Williams. I rather have none of the above

every one of these 3 have no aura...or charisma.. that sucks

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#69 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,609 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted Yesterday, 05:28 AM

Where did Juwan Howard come from?  This is insane.  Get ready for another [expletive]ty season unless we land a top 5 FA

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

#70 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,573 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Please Monty please coach us instead of the Sixers lol. Yea max free agents are just lining up to join this circus.

Edited by lakerfan98, Yesterday, 09:39 AM.

#71 MiggsTradamus

MiggsTradamus

16x CHAMPS

• 3,366 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 06:51 PM

Taking names
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#72 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,224 posts

Posted Today, 03:28 AM

More

Lakers brass interviewing Monty Williams on East Coast tonight. Told he is Lakers FIRST choice. Also told if Sixers disappoint in playoffs, Monty Williams gets Sixers gig. He will take that over Lakers opening. Therefore opening up LA job for Ty Lue.

I think Jeanie is running this hiring process so that she is the only person connected to all of the people who are supposed to be in the chain of command instead of the chain of command.

Hear me out.

Here's how it should go:  Ownership hires a PBO who then hires a GM who works under him.  The PBO and GM work on a list of coaching candidates after they assess the roster's strengths and weaknesses.  The PBO gives the GM a list of coaching candidates and the PBO along with the GM interview those candidates.

PBO/GM hire the guy who fits their vision for the future.

In that scenario, the PBO runs the team's management (GM/Coach) while the GM builds the roster with the Coach's input.  Both the GM and Coach run their decisions by the PBO.

Jeanie wants loyalty to her and her alone.  She wants to hire the coach with her input to report directly to her.  She wants to hire a PBO who will run everything by her for approval.  She wants to hire a GM who reports to her.  She wants to insulate both GM and Coach from the PBO.

This is a recipe for DYSFUNCTION.  This will create drama and competition between people who should be on the same page, working together on a common vision/goal.  She's creating an environment that breeds backbiting and mistrust.

I said long ago that Jeanie was the problem.  I believe this more now than ever.

• bfc1125roy and lakerfan98 like this

#73 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,561 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted Today, 06:50 AM

More

Interesting. I wonder how Brown feels about this.

#74 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,176 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted Today, 10:12 AM

I think Jeanie is running this hiring process so that she is the only person connected to all of the people who are supposed to be in the chain of command instead of the chain of command.

Hear me out.

Here's how it should go: Ownership hires a PBO who then hires a GM who works under him. The PBO and GM work on a list of coaching candidates after they assess the roster's strengths and weaknesses. The PBO gives the GM a list of coaching candidates and the PBO along with the GM interview those candidates.

In that scenario, the PBO runs the team's management (GM/Coach) while the GM builds the roster with the Coach's input. Both the GM and Coach run their decisions by the PBO.

Jeanie wants loyalty to her and her alone. She wants to hire the coach with her input to report directly to her. She wants to hire a PBO who will run everything by her for approval. She wants to hire a GM who reports to her. She wants to insulate both GM and Coach from the PBO.

This is a recipe for DYSFUNCTION. This will create drama and competition between people who should be on the same page, working together on a common vision/goal. She's creating an environment that breeds backbiting and mistrust.

I said long ago that Jeanie was the problem. I believe this more now than ever.

Sounds like Jerry Jones to me

#75 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,513 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted Today, 02:28 PM

Hear me out.

Here's how it should go:  Ownership hires a PBO who then hires a GM who works under him.  The PBO and GM work on a list of coaching candidates after they assess the roster's strengths and weaknesses.  The PBO gives the GM a list of coaching candidates and the PBO along with the GM interview those candidates.

In that scenario, the PBO runs the team's management (GM/Coach) while the GM builds the roster with the Coach's input.  Both the GM and Coach run their decisions by the PBO.

Jeanie wants loyalty to her and her alone.  She wants to hire the coach with her input to report directly to her.  She wants to hire a PBO who will run everything by her for approval.  She wants to hire a GM who reports to her.  She wants to insulate both GM and Coach from the PBO.

This is a recipe for DYSFUNCTION.  This will create drama and competition between people who should be on the same page, working together on a common vision/goal.  She's creating an environment that breeds backbiting and mistrust.

I said long ago that Jeanie was the problem.  I believe this more now than ever.

All this is great cept who is the PBO???

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)