Photo

What do the Lakers need to do to reemerge in the NBA?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 garyknowz1

garyknowz1

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Name:Gary Knowlton
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, et al

Posted March 09, 2019 - 08:27 PM

I've been a Laker fan for nearly 40 years. I've supported them in good times and bad. For the passed 4 years, I've been telling myself and others have we are one or two acquisitions away from returning to greatness. However, I'm starting believe otherwise. We have the best current player in the NBA---perhaps the greatest of all time. But even with LeBron, Rondo, among other excellent players, the Lakers look no better the they have in the previous 4 years. Lack of talent doesn't seem to be the issue. It's something more fundamental than a trade, draft, or free agent acquisition.

The Lakers have a very talented roster right now---more than enough to make the playoffs. But the seriously lack chemistry and a winning game plan. However, such intangibles are issues difficult to address in a concrete manner. With that in mind, what do you think the Lakers need to do before the 2019-2020 season begins to finally lead the Lakers back to the playoffs?

Thanks!

Gary K.

#2 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 1,126 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted March 09, 2019 - 09:22 PM

What we signed in the offseason was a bunch of misfits and cast offs instead of trying to actually bring some depth. Now this season was always gonna be a waste imo. What we need to do this offseason is sign some quality players that can bring depth. Definitely need more shooting and defenders. 

We don't have the greatest player of all time.

#3 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,529 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 09, 2019 - 09:34 PM

A bunch of one year contracts offered to has beens is never going to work. On top of that an incompetent FO and a HC who cant get the biggest Star to play some D is a recipe for disaster.

How do they get back? Offer NBA Talent 2-3 year contracts. Hire a HC who will get respect. Stop trying to hit a HR everytime a big name comes up. Some would argue this season might have been different is they had not signed Lebron.

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,588 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 09, 2019 - 10:36 PM

You said Rondo?

LeSigh

#5 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,910 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 09, 2019 - 11:21 PM

A coach

Bye for now

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,937 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 10, 2019 - 05:36 AM

I've been a Laker fan for nearly 40 years. I've supported them in good times and bad. For the passed 4 years, I've been telling myself and others have we are one or two acquisitions away from returning to greatness. However, I'm starting believe otherwise. We have the best current player in the NBA---perhaps the greatest of all time. But even with LeBron, Rondo, among other excellent players, the Lakers look no better the they have in the previous 4 years. Lack of talent doesn't seem to be the issue. It's something more fundamental than a trade, draft, or free agent acquisition.

The Lakers have a very talented roster right now---more than enough to make the playoffs. But the seriously lack chemistry and a winning game plan. However, such intangibles are issues difficult to address in a concrete manner. With that in mind, what do you think the Lakers need to do before the 2019-2020 season begins to finally lead the Lakers back to the playoffs?

Thanks!

Gary K.

There is no doubt that the decisions that's been made this past year has been pretty bad and i'm blaming Jeanie, Magic, Pelinka, Luke and possibly Lebron for those decisions because they all played a role, but much of it is history now.

What needs to happen:

They need to rest Lebron. Let him rack up points, but no need for him to aggrevate his injury.

Shake up the coaching department and fire the assistant coaches (today). Would mind if Luke stayed, but he has to have competent offensive and defensive coaches to handle the Xs and Os as well as rotations which allow Luke to focus on ego and locker-room management.

Hire an actual analytics department and aim to be the best in the league in that area.

Reduce Magic's role. I'm sure he's great at selling FAs on LA, but he cant be involved in everything else. I mean, why have a scouting department if Magic simply overrules that department and goes with Wagner because "he really likes him".

In the offseason, they should go hard at Kawhi, Durant, Kyrie etc. I'm sure we can get one of them.

Then fill out the roster with guys that we know will work well which is veterans that can defend and hit open shots.

Then look at potential AD-trades.

#7 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,529 posts

Posted March 10, 2019 - 08:10 AM

There is no doubt that the decisions that's been made this past year has been pretty bad and i'm blaming Jeanie, Magic, Pelinka, Luke and possibly Lebron for those decisions because they all played a role, but much of it is history now.

What needs to happen:

They need to rest Lebron. Let him rack up points, but no need for him to aggrevate his injury.

Shake up the coaching department and fire the assistant coaches (today). Would mind if Luke stayed, but he has to have competent offensive and defensive coaches to handle the Xs and Os as well as rotations which allow Luke to focus on ego and locker-room management.

Hire an actual analytics department and aim to be the best in the league in that area.

Reduce Magic's role. I'm sure he's great at selling FAs on LA, but he cant be involved in everything else. I mean, why have a scouting department if Magic simply overrules that department and goes with Wagner because "he really likes him".

In the offseason, they should go hard at Kawhi, Durant, Kyrie etc. I'm sure we can get one of them.

Then fill out the roster with guys that we know will work well which is veterans that can defend and hit open shots.

Then look at potential AD-trades.

The Lakers only trade assest is Kuzma at this point.  Lonzo Ball is injury prone and BI has a fatal condition that might force him to retire.  This franchise should look at possibilities to trade for AD but honestly should look at stealing Kwahi Leonard from the Clippers

#8 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 1,168 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 10, 2019 - 08:20 AM

Dude let’s not jump to conclusions about BI...

The Lakers only trade assest is Kuzma at this point. Lonzo Ball is injury prone and BI has a fatal condition that might force him to retire. This franchise should look at possibilities to trade for AD but honestly should look at stealing Kwahi Leonard from the Clippers

#9 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,529 posts

Posted March 10, 2019 - 08:23 AM

Dude let’s not jump to conclusions about BI...

Its a DVT,  it's even more rare in upper extremities, I am going to go out on a limb and say there is a 90% chance his career is over.

Now, let's say he isnt done, what team is going to take the chance on him, especially the Pelicans.... what about Lonzo?  It's a bad situation right now for this franchise. 

#10 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,826 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2019 - 08:27 AM

Its a DVT, it's even more rare in upper extremities, I am going to go out on a limb and say there is a 90% chance his career is over.

Now, let's say he isnt done, what team is going to take the chance on him, especially the Pelicans.... what about Lonzo? It's a bad situation right now for this franchise.

It can be literally next to nothing or it can be career threatening if it persists. It’s not good but it isn’t really a big deal if it’s an isolated incident.

#11 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,529 posts

Posted March 10, 2019 - 08:31 AM

It can be literally next to nothing or it can be career threatening if it persists. It’s not good but it isn’t really a big deal if it’s an isolated incident.

Either way, he will be on this team next year.   We are down to Kuzma being the only one with real trade value, maybe even Wagner? 

I say go all in on Dragic, Middleton, Cousins and Leonard.  Bad times....Bad times...

#12 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Legend

• 10,125 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2019 - 09:07 AM

Its a DVT, it's even more rare in upper extremities, I am going to go out on a limb and say there is a 90% chance his career is over.

Actually it's better it was an upper extremity DVT and not a lower extremity DVT, which can break off and travel to the lungs (Pulmonary Embolism).

It's also very good that they caught this early before it could cause more complications.

And yes, while it's true teams will be cautious if trading for him, let's just wish the man the best of health and a speedy recovery.

Ingram is more than just a guy with 'trade value.'
  • Busty Bluth, Jackson and trips like this

#13 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,529 posts

Posted March 10, 2019 - 09:44 AM

Actually it's better it was an upper extremity DVT and not a lower extremity DVT, which can break off and travel to the lungs (Pulmonary Embolism).

It's also very good that they caught this early before it could cause more complications.

And yes, while it's true teams will be cautious if trading for him, let's just wish the man the best of health and a speedy recovery.

Ingram is more than just a guy with 'trade value.'

We already wished him a speedy  recovery in the Brandon Ingram thread.  You can't talk about improving this team without looking at him as "trade value", that's the reality of the situation.  

While an upper extremity lowers the chances of a PE, it's not a given and not certain it won't happen again.  But like you said for his health it's a good thing they caught it early and he can now begin the recovery process. God Bless Him. Scary situation.

#14 trips

trips

Rookie

• 30 posts
  • Name:ClubLakers
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Multiple

Posted March 10, 2019 - 01:55 PM

A coach

Bye for now

• bfc1125roy likes this

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" or "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding." - Hanlon's razor It recommends a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for a phenomenon (a philosophical razor).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users