30 replies to this topic

#1 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 14, 2019 - 04:25 PM

Just a fun idea I was thinking about. Honestly, what's the point of making the playoffs at this point? I see 2 reasons.

1) Get the young kids playoff experience.

2) Protect the team's and LeBron's reputation and signal to other teams we're serious about winning.

The first is complicated by the fact that the kids have checked out thanks to the trade rumors. Furthermore, I would argue developing the kids talent is more important than artificial playoff experience. But it's clear we cannot be *WIN NOW* with LeBron on the team and at the same time be in player development mode for Brandon Ingram and co. We have to pick one, and by signing LeBron that choice has already been made.

The team and LeBron's reputation isn't that great at this point. Most teams know we're serious about winning thanks to how public the latest FA and trade rumors have been, so this point isn't a concern.

So now that we've agreed we're in *WIN NOW* mode while LeBron is on the team, what's the best way to do that. 2/3 of Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma are not going to be all-stars in the next 2 years, and at that point LeBron has a player option which he will likely decline to become an FA at age 37. So in order to win now, we need to maximize the talent we can acquire with our current assets, and make good use of our cap space. In order words, trade for a star/good player, and sign a star in FA this summer.

I won't go into signing a star since there's not much we can do. We know Magic will tamper to the extent we can, and whether KD, Leonard, Irving, or Klay is interested in coming here has more to do with themselves and their current situations on their teams rather than LA. Since we are not going to be knocking out the Warriors, Raptors, or Celtics in the playoffs, this is out of our control.

To maximize our ability to trade for a star/good player, we need MORE assets. Now the only major variable in our asset pool right now is our first round pick, which we own this year. I am aware we cannot trade it, but we can agree to a trade in principle and pick the player the other team wants ahead of time, a la Hornets and Kobe in '96. Thus, our ability to *WIN NOW* is solely based on the value of our draft pick this summer, so we should maximize this. 

Therefore, with all the Sam Hinkie I can muster, I propose the following plan:

1. Sign 'Melo

2. Fire Walton (optional)

3. Rest LeBron for the rest of the season, and let him recover from the current injury (he's clearly not 100%).

4. Let Melo chuck away to sell tickets and let kids shoot as much as they want to display their current talent level.

5. Go 0-25 to finish the season.

6. Get a high draft pick.

7. Trade draft pick plus kids for AD in the summer. If the pick is good we may even be able to keep one of Ingram/Ball/Kuzma.

8. Sign good FA

9. Profit $$$

Even if the plan fails, getting a good pick allows us to one more potential all star player we can put on this team as we develop our young talent for the long term. 

Again, this is just for fun. It's more me trying to think about the best way to maximize our ability to win championships while LeBron is here.

Edited by bfc1125roy, February 14, 2019 - 04:28 PM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#2 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,805 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 14, 2019 - 06:02 PM

I'm from the Kobe era. If we can make the playoffs even by the skin of our teeth I'll take our cancel I be a sleeper team. You know where you're at as a man when the flames are full blast at your feet and it will either make the kids raise their level of play or force them to learn what our real expectations are for the team
  • Persian Gulf and Tensai like this

ap1.png

#3 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 316 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:LeBron James aka King James

Posted February 14, 2019 - 08:01 PM

Lakers are going to continue playing hard, trying to make the playoffs.  I hear commentators saying the Clippers have "given up on making the playoffs" which is bologna.  They are playing hard every night.  Sacramento is playing with nothing to lose.  I think it's going to be hard to pass SAC, but Lakers will try their hardest.  

Lakers will try to win every single game for the remainder of the season.  

We damn well better finish ahead of the Clippers.

#4 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 12,017 posts

Posted February 14, 2019 - 08:39 PM

Low enough to get Xion
  • Busty Bluth likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#5 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,909 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted February 14, 2019 - 08:47 PM

Low enough to get Xion

It’s pronounced Sci-on

Bye for now

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,937 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 14, 2019 - 10:38 PM

Back during the Dwightmare we saw Kobe play nearly 40mpg and 45mpg in the final few games which helped secure a playoff-spot and while it's impossible to say that the high minute totals was the reason for his injury i think it certainly played a role. I dont want that to happen to Lebron so it all has to start with him.

If he's not 100% it might be wiser to let him rest rather than for him to risk aggrevating the injury or suffer an even worse injury. If he is healthy i think he has to show the leadership needed to pull us into the playoffs.

#7 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,525 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 15, 2019 - 06:24 AM

Young kids getting playoff experience is not a good point to make considering they will all be gone come the new season. Tank and get a pick.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#8 dazz

dazz

• 1,543 posts

Posted February 15, 2019 - 06:44 AM

There's no way we're going to get a pick higher than 8th or 9th. I think tanking is out of the question but I'm afraid our chances to make the playoffs are rather slim.

Not much else to do other than hope for a miracle at this point. 

2s6lb11.jpg

#9 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 15, 2019 - 07:30 AM

Young kids getting playoff experience is not a good point to make considering they will all be gone come the new season. Tank and get a pick.

doubt there all gone next season

ap1.png

#10 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 12,017 posts

Posted February 15, 2019 - 11:40 AM

It’s pronounced Sci-on

Bye for now

Cyan, like Goku
  • Busty Bluth likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#11 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,949 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 15, 2019 - 12:17 PM

Get to the playoffs at all costs every single year is my mentality. Now will that happen? Is it possible with this team and its head coach?

• Persian Gulf likes this

#12 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 316 posts

Posted February 15, 2019 - 12:38 PM

Simultaneously, you predicted that AD is not coming to Lakerland.  Me think ur trolling........

#13 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,525 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 15, 2019 - 05:40 PM

Simultaneously, you predicted that AD is not coming to Lakerland.  Me think ur trolling........

Who said they were getting traded for AD? I think we can all agree that NO is not going to deal with the Lakers this off season. If these kids continue to play like shiet, the FO has to move them to put players around Lebron. It’s not hard to see how this is going to turn out. If AD ends up anywhere with Kyrie he is not coming L.A. period. If only Magic had given up the #2 and Ingram for PG13 smh

#14 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 316 posts

Posted February 15, 2019 - 06:59 PM

NO may deal with LA, perhaps it was just Demps who didn't want to deal w/us.  I'm not sure we get a deal done though, because we won't be offering as much as we did at trade deadline.  

Who said they were getting traded for AD? I think we can all agree that NO is not going to deal with the Lakers this off season. If these kids continue to play like shiet, the FO has to move them to put players around Lebron. It’s not hard to see how this is going to turn out. If AD ends up anywhere with Kyrie he is not coming L.A. period. If only Magic had given up the #2 and Ingram for PG13 smh

#15 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,284 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted February 16, 2019 - 09:30 AM

Get into the playoffs by any means necessary.

#16 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 14,193 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 17, 2019 - 02:01 AM

Get to the playoffs at any cost. It's been way too long since we last played playoffs. 

#17 MiggsTradamus

MiggsTradamus

16x CHAMPS

• 3,339 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 17, 2019 - 06:13 AM

"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#18 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 17, 2019 - 10:23 AM

The Clippers will miss the playoffs. They lose one of their draft picks if they make the playoffs. Dealing Tobias and Boban for picks plus retaining a pick, they are going after KD and Kawhi in the offseason.

Looking at LeBron's current shape and conditioning, this last contract that he has, this is more or less it. There is no more joining forces with other players on other teams. Not for the amount of money you'd have to pay him. Not for the media headache that comes with, all the accusations of tampering, him trying to recruit players and deal away the roster, etc. etc. this last contract is more or less it. He might want to retire a Cav, something like that, but I don't see him leaving Los Angeles and his Hollywood business ventures although I wish he would go back to being that monster I grew up loathing in Cleveland and Miami dunking and chase down blocking all over the place. Seeing him in his current shape, I knew this day would eventually come, I hate how its happening on the Lakers.

I think when Lonzo comes back we'll have enough to make a run for the playoffs. If LeBron suffers another serious injury, yeah, we should probably just rest him, but we're not there yet.

#19 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 17, 2019 - 10:35 AM

I don't know if we should deal with that gigantic cluster [expletive] that is New Orleans/the Anthony Davis situation anymore. I think Rich Paul in conjunction with Magic/Pelinka/LeBron/Buss intentionally orchestrated the Anthony Davis "injury" plus early walkout to get Dell Demps fired as revenge for that guy intentionally [expletive]ing with us, embarrassing us, never having intended on making a trade with us (even if we gave the 6 draft picks he asked for) leaving us with young players we are barely able to get to play at full effort, deep down bitter at us. When Kyle Kuzma's contract is up, that MFer is gonna make us [expletive]ing pay or leave for Dallas or Phoenix or Portland. [expletive], I don't blame him. Milk it for all you can Kyle Kuzma.

[expletive] Dell Demps. Mother [expletive] had it coming. And Greg Popovich, you ugly mother [expletive], mind your own [expletive]ing business. Dude will always be a Laker hater. Magic should request a meeting with him and check that guy.

Hopefully what happened to Dell Demps will set an example to the rest of the league - don't [expletive] with us. If you don't want to deal with us, then be a man and tell us straight up you don't want to deal with us. Don't attempt to play games to bring us down, because we will get you back mother [expletive]. If Popovich keeps trying to [expletive] with us, telling teams not to trade with us no matter what the deal is, Jeanie Buss should contact Nike / At&t Time Warner to see how we can respond against Peter and Juliana Holt (Spurs owners) and their businesses. Nike and At&t have relationships with various different banks and contractors that the Holts probably deal with. If they continue to try to tamper with us, we should start trouble for them. I dunno why the entire NBA wants us to go down in flames. When the Lakers fail, the whole NBA fails. I wish they would leave us alone.

I hope the Spurs mind their own [expletive]ing business.

Edited by dbtbandit67, February 17, 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#20 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,644 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 18, 2019 - 08:54 AM

Ef AD! Im over it and we should be to, time to focus on winning games.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users