133 replies to this topic

#101 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,098 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 11, 2019 - 07:16 AM

I'm hoping for a guy that I seriously doubt we have a chance at at the 9th spot - Cam Reddish.

No chance he falls that far but if he does, we need to get him.  I'd trade up to get him if it costed us say Josh Hart and the 9th pick...

Also have to consider taking Coby White with the 9th pick...not a pure PG but a scoring guard and he'd be very good next to Lonzo.

If we can get a late 1st round pick somehow, I'd take Cameron Johnson (also from UNC).  One of the best shooters in the nation.  Perfect mechanics.  When he shoots, it reminds me of Klay Thompson.  His stock is likely to rise to late lottery, which is fine

Another guy we could look at for a late 1st round pick is  Brandon Clarke.  He's mocked in the 2nd round right now but I would bet he moves up to somewhere between 20-26th.  He's a great rim protector (#3 in the nation with 3.1bpg).

I've got some more guys I like for the late lottery but since this post is already fairly long, I'll just make another one later.

now this is what I am talking about.  Post more sir. I was looking at Garland from Vandy. The PG , Coby has come on as of late, the kid can flat out score.

• GCMD likes this

#102 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,085 posts

Posted March 11, 2019 - 09:39 AM

now this is what I am talking about.  Post more sir. I was looking at Garland from Vandy. The PG , Coby has come on as of late, the kid can flat out score.

Will do.  College Basketball is my first love.  If it wasn't for Magic and Jordan, I don't think I'd have ever become a big NBA fan.

Coby White is sneaky good.  He just gets it done.  Playing next to a true passing guard like Lonzo will allow Coby to focus on scoring, which he can do well. UNC plays very fast, just like us.  Coby will have no problem transitioning to this style/pace.

Darius Garland?  He tore his meniscus in his knee...while there is a good chance he will fully recover, that's a HUGE blow to his draft stock but let's say he does fully recover.  He reminds me of a mix between Dennis Smith Jr and Markelle Fultz.  Smooth like Fultz but with the shake-shiftiness of DSJ.  He will be a good-to-great guard if he returns 100%.

I personally think he will be fine but the risk is still there.  Is his potential enough to pass on others?  I'll get back to you on that.  But I agree...if it weren't for his injury, he'd likely have put himself in the discussion at the 9th pick...will be a tough case to make since he only played 5 games this season.

And I'm a Duke fan so the fact that I've enthusiastically endorsed 2 Tarheels should tell you something...these guys are good.

• FranklinPeanuts, BORNINLA, Jackson and 1 other like this

#103 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,085 posts

Posted March 11, 2019 - 09:47 AM

Oh, and Cam Reddish has the potential to be everything people want from Ingram...and I'm not joking nor was that meant to be an insult towards Ingram.  Reddish's defensive instincts remind me of Lonzo's, though I don't think Reddish plays as hard as Lonzo on that end at all times.  His attitude/demeanor is a perfect fit to Lonzo and Kuzma.  He's had to spend a LOT of time off the ball this year playing next to RJ Barrett and Zion.

He'd be the perfect pick at the perfect time.

• Jackson likes this

#104 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,098 posts

Posted March 11, 2019 - 10:21 AM

Will do.  College Basketball is my first love.  If it wasn't for Magic and Jordan, I don't think I'd have ever become a big NBA fan.

Coby White is sneaky good.  He just gets it done.  Playing next to a true passing guard like Lonzo will allow Coby to focus on scoring, which he can do well. UNC plays very fast, just like us.  Coby will have no problem transitioning to this style/pace.

Darius Garland?  He tore his meniscus in his knee...while there is a good chance he will fully recover, that's a HUGE blow to his draft stock but let's say he does fully recover.  He reminds me of a mix between Dennis Smith Jr and Markelle Fultz.  Smooth like Fultz but with the shake-shiftiness of DSJ.  He will be a good-to-great guard if he returns 100%.

I personally think he will be fine but the risk is still there.  Is his potential enough to pass on others?  I'll get back to you on that.  But I agree...if it weren't for his injury, he'd likely have put himself in the discussion at the 9th pick...will be a tough case to make since he only played 5 games this season.

And I'm a Duke fan so the fact that I've enthusiastically endorsed 2 Tarheels should tell you something...these guys are good.

I HATE DUKE BUT..... Coach K has some players in the league. I am going to run some names by you, based off the Lakers need and or my personal like... Share your evaluation on these cats.

Nasir Little

Charles Bassey

Sekou Doumbouya

Kris Wilkes (shooter)

Tre Jones (too small? defense)

Bennie Boatwright

PJ Washington ( i like this kid)

Kevin Porter (kid can get to the cup)

Romeo Langford

Marques Bolden

#105 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,085 posts

Posted March 11, 2019 - 12:16 PM

I HATE DUKE BUT..... Coach K has some players in the league. I am going to run some names by you, based off the Lakers need and or my personal like... Share your evaluation on these cats.

Nasir Little

Charles Bassey

Sekou Doumbouya

Kris Wilkes (shooter)

Tre Jones (too small? defense)

Bennie Boatwright

PJ Washington ( i like this kid)

Kevin Porter (kid can get to the cup)

Romeo Langford

Marques Bolden

Little - a little bit over-rated.  Lots of potential.  Raw talent, IMHO, and should go back to school.  Teams will draft his mix of athleticism and potential regardless.  Under-performed and did not exceed expectations at UNC...that's why he came off the bench.

Bassey - see above.  I like him but his game seems a little raw and dependent on low post position.  Could benefit from another year but that's not likely.  Teams will draft him in the 10-20 range based on measurable alone.

Doumbouya - I got nothing.

Wilkes - from the little I've seen (of UCLA - not nearly as much as previous years) this year, he's more NBA ready but I'm not wowed.  Better scorer but streaky shooter.

Tre Jones - better than his brother Tyus at almost every facet of the game.  Lot easier to be a good on-ball defender when Zion's got your back...LOL.  I'd love to have him off the bench despite his size...

Bennie Boatwright - I got nothing.  I don't watch much U So Cal basketball unless they are playing UCLA or Gonzaga...LOL

PJ Washington - funny story.  His Dad was recruiting a kid I used to coach here in South Carolina.  He spoke with me about the kid possibly going to Findlay Prep.  I made the contact for them but the kid and his Mom decided not to go all the way to Las Vegas...

As for PJ - I like him but I don't love him.  I can't see him being a lottery pick this year but if we had a late 1st, he'd be in the conversation.

Porter - Again, can't help you there.  If they aren't playing UCLA or Gonzaga, I'm not likely to watch them.

Langford - prototypical scoring guard...I like...I like a lot...I don't like that 28% 3pt% though...

Bolden - well, OF COURSE I'm gonna like a Dukie!  But he's a good BIG who will find a home in the NBA...Star?  Eh, maybe... a perfect situation, yes.  I think he'd be even better if he didn't share the floor with Zion/RJ.  Those 2 take up a lot of shots.  I think it's like Wendell Carter next to Bagley last year...Carter would have been much better without Bagley as the focus.  I said all of that to say I can see Bolden being the "Kuzma" in this year's draft...he will go much later than he should and be better than expected.

I hope this helps.  My son and I follow a lot of high school kids so some of them I already knew about and some I had to refresh my memory to make sure.  The ones I haven't watched in college, I didn't comment on.  If you want to me look up some games on youtube (not highlights) and get back to you, I can do that.

From that list, I'd say Little is most likely to make the jump to the 7-10 range we are in.  I'd say Langford too if it weren't for his outside shooting.  We will see though...still have March Madness left so my opinions can and will change.

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#106 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,956 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 11, 2019 - 02:07 PM

Good stuff guys!

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

#107 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 7,256 posts
  • Name:Wade
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2019 - 02:24 PM

Did someone say Brandon Clarke? He averages more than 3 blocks per game and has a significant impact defensively.

Another guy to look for from that same team is Rui Hachimura.

Hachimura and Clarke handled Duke. Want to talk about making a defensive impact? Clarke had 6 blocks that game. Rui had 3. Both shot >= 50% FG and scored between 17-20 points each.

Clarke had 2 blocks against Tennessee and both he and Rui shot >= 50% (again).

Clarke had 3 blocks against UNC and Rui had 2. Both shot >= 50%.

A lot of people say Gonzaga plays in too easy of a conference. Well, look at the big games they play, and look at how Hachimura and Clarke play consistently.

• FranklinPeanuts and Jackson like this

0iNkSmB.jpg

Q: When you take off your jersey for the final time, what will you leave behind on the court?
A: "My heart and soul." --Kobe Bryant

#108 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,289 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted March 11, 2019 - 03:05 PM

i havent paid attention to any of the ncaa but what i want is the lakers trade away the pick grab an allstar. 

#109 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,098 posts

Posted March 11, 2019 - 03:29 PM

Little - a little bit over-rated.  Lots of potential.  Raw talent, IMHO, and should go back to school.  Teams will draft his mix of athleticism and potential regardless.  Under-performed and did not exceed expectations at UNC...that's why he came off the bench.

Bassey - see above.  I like him but his game seems a little raw and dependent on low post position.  Could benefit from another year but that's not likely.  Teams will draft him in the 10-20 range based on measurable alone.

Doumbouya - I got nothing.

Wilkes - from the little I've seen (of UCLA - not nearly as much as previous years) this year, he's more NBA ready but I'm not wowed.  Better scorer but streaky shooter.

Tre Jones - better than his brother Tyus at almost every facet of the game.  Lot easier to be a good on-ball defender when Zion's got your back...LOL.  I'd love to have him off the bench despite his size...

Bennie Boatwright - I got nothing.  I don't watch much U So Cal basketball unless they are playing UCLA or Gonzaga...LOL

PJ Washington - funny story.  His Dad was recruiting a kid I used to coach here in South Carolina.  He spoke with me about the kid possibly going to Findlay Prep.  I made the contact for them but the kid and his Mom decided not to go all the way to Las Vegas...

As for PJ - I like him but I don't love him.  I can't see him being a lottery pick this year but if we had a late 1st, he'd be in the conversation.

Porter - Again, can't help you there.  If they aren't playing UCLA or Gonzaga, I'm not likely to watch them.

Langford - prototypical scoring guard...I like...I like a lot...I don't like that 28% 3pt% though...

Bolden - well, OF COURSE I'm gonna like a Dukie!  But he's a good BIG who will find a home in the NBA...Star?  Eh, maybe... a perfect situation, yes.  I think he'd be even better if he didn't share the floor with Zion/RJ.  Those 2 take up a lot of shots.  I think it's like Wendell Carter next to Bagley last year...Carter would have been much better without Bagley as the focus.  I said all of that to say I can see Bolden being the "Kuzma" in this year's draft...he will go much later than he should and be better than expected.

I hope this helps.  My son and I follow a lot of high school kids so some of them I already knew about and some I had to refresh my memory to make sure.  The ones I haven't watched in college, I didn't comment on.  If you want to me look up some games on youtube (not highlights) and get back to you, I can do that.

From that list, I'd say Little is most likely to make the jump to the 7-10 range we are in.  I'd say Langford too if it weren't for his outside shooting.  We will see though...still have March Madness left so my opinions can and will change.

i cannot wait for march madness. this is the time to see where players step up and show out. thank you for your input, i love college basketball too. i remember when i thought Montrezl H from Louisville would be a nice player. It took him a team or two but boy is he sticking. Sometimes you can see the kids actual skill and heart in these college games and you just know he will do something. I thought the same way about Jahlil and still do. he just needed that chance to play

#110 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,502 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 12, 2019 - 11:24 AM

Well I'll be the first to call  Bol Bol (WAS) the guy; he averages over 25 points we need a center and the questionable trade of Zubac leaves an opening! it shouldn't be too hard as he isn't projected that high but heres to a interesting off season yes I KNOW WE AREN'T THERE QUITE YET BUT I AM! AND HE'S 7'2"

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, March 12, 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#111 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,098 posts

Posted March 12, 2019 - 11:49 AM

Only thing about Bol Bol, he has a slight history with the injuries. He will get into the league and get pushed around easily. he needs some meat on his super tooth pick frame. He is an extremely gifted talent, no doubt, but he he will beat up a lot in the post. Got handles like point guard and jumper like shooter. nbdraftdotnet has his comp as Kristaps Porz. and I can see that but look at him, hurt as well. Do not get me wrong, he has actually panned out really well besides his injury. His injury should not really hurt his draft stock though. navicular fractures are not career ending. If Joel Embiid can comeback from it, hey

#112 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,870 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2019 - 09:32 PM

Would love either of the Duke boys - Zion or RJ Barrett. I think both are going to be stars in this league. 

#113 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,846 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted March 13, 2019 - 10:01 PM

Would love either of the Duke boys - Zion or RJ Barrett. I think both are going to be stars in this league.

Let’s just get both, too hard to pick. I actually think RJ is going to be better off the bat but Zion has more potential. Bol is a tricky one.

#114 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,879 posts

Posted March 14, 2019 - 03:22 PM

We’re not keeping this pick.

#115 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,956 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 14, 2019 - 04:23 PM

We’re not keeping this pick.

You never know. We punt every summer for some reason.

#116 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,098 posts

Posted March 14, 2019 - 04:27 PM

This year we may Madden it.
Ball on the 31 yard line and its 4th down. Go For it!!! Tecmo Bowl style. Let's Bo jackson this bih!!!

#117 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,243 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted March 15, 2019 - 12:45 PM

No matter what truth lies in young teams never winning rings, or predominantly young teams not winning as well, I know a ton of people here will rush to defend a youth movement.  I'd come back with all the historical facts and current facts about that like I have every time, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Enjoy your stupid draft and the speculation about which lottery player will do anything, if any. 

So I'm not gonna get into it and be right for the 6th year in a row on this subject, it's tiresome, the reliance on youth as a path to winning is too.  There ya go, bait away, get angry, call me names (as so many have done before), but it won't change the fact that yet again the Lakers are staring down the throat of another ineffective year filled with excuses and kids trying to find their way to mediocrity.

Listen to what Derrick Cousins said about college ball and its relevance to the NBA, it has little to none.  Kids being great against kids rarely translates to being able to apply that talent to excelling against grown men.  It's all complete blind fumbling around, and for some reason a vast majority of current Laker fans adore the hell out of it - I don't, never will.

Have at it, I won't be responding.

• KidRN likes this

#118 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,339 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted March 15, 2019 - 01:47 PM

No matter what truth lies in young teams never winning rings, or predominantly young teams not winning as well, I know a ton of people here will rush to defend a youth movement.  I'd come back with all the historical facts and current facts about that like I have every time, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Enjoy your stupid draft and the speculation about which lottery player will do anything, if any. 

So I'm not gonna get into it and be right for the 6th year in a row on this subject, it's tiresome, the reliance on youth as a path to winning is too.  There ya go, bait away, get angry, call me names (as so many have done before), but it won't change the fact that yet again the Lakers are staring down the throat of another ineffective year filled with excuses and kids trying to find their way to mediocrity.

Listen to what Derrick Cousins said about college ball and its relevance to the NBA, it has little to none.  Kids being great against kids rarely translates to being able to apply that talent to excelling against grown men.  It's all complete blind fumbling around, and for some reason a vast majority of current Laker fans adore the hell out of it - I don't, never will.

Have at it, I won't be responding.

i actually agrees with you on this one.  Took Dub 5 years to figure things out before winning their first championship.  

I think Lakers are missing pieces to actually compete in the modern NBA.  We are missing good 3 pt shooters.  we only have 2 players shooting over 35% 3fg, Rondo and Lance.  In the league we rank 2nd to bottom in 3pt fg%.  the worst one is Phoenix.  Unless we jack up way more 3pt like Houston does or we shoot way less 3pt like Pacer does.  otherwise right now our roster isn't really going to do much when the Math kicks in.   We need to draft or trade for more shooters whether it is for Lebron or Lonzo even for Luke's system.  so far we have enough key pieces to fit the puzzle, now is the time to find the rest of the pieces.  

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#119 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,444 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 16, 2019 - 09:29 AM

You need a mix of vets and youth. Too many vets and you get a situation like the Spurs post Kawhi. Aging core that is first round fodder. Too many kids and you're in the lottery every year. When healthy we have 3 kids that actually get real playing time so to put this season's failures all on them is lazy and uninformed. Aside from injuries our main impediment to the playoffs was poor roster construction. I gave Magic props for getting us LeBron but I'll also call him out for spending 29 mil in cap space on Rondo, KCP, Lance, and Beas. Personally, I couldn't care less how old they are we brought in role players that didn't compliment our team, period. We have more vets than last season. Lopez out but LeBron, Rondo, Lance, Beas, McGhee, Chandler in. How did that work out?

Edited by lakerfan98, March 16, 2019 - 10:35 AM.

• lonlyamongus likes this

#120 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,444 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 16, 2019 - 09:41 AM

If I'm ranking this season's failures:

1 Injuries

2 Poor roster construction / bad free agent signings

3 Questionable coaching / substitutions

4 LeBron / Klutch / AD drama

5 Talent level and progression of youth.

Kuzma is a 19/6 guy in his second year. Did you see the tear Ingram was on post all star break? Did you see what happened to our defense without Lonzo? No really.....did you???

Edited by lakerfan98, March 16, 2019 - 10:37 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users