Photo

Lonzo Ball shooting 41% free throws. Acceptable?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,994 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 02:34 AM

Lonzo is in his own head. He’s shooting 30 something from 3, but there’s never been a stretch where that’s his percentage. He’s either lights out or Air Ball. His free throw routine needs consistency. Not mechanics, that will [expletive] him up even more, but he doesn’t have a set routine. He goes up there and it’s different every time, just throws the ball up and gets it over with.

#22 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,050 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 15, 2019 - 02:37 AM

It shocks me how bad an nba player can be at a certain aspect of the game. There are high school kids that shoot 80-90% at the free throw line and they practice far less than nba players, play less games, and their coaches are generally not as good.

I think the same about nfl cornerbacks. Some couldn't catch a ball if their lives depended on it. How can you be that bad at catching a football when the game has been your whole life for years? I had better hands as a junior in high school than some nfl defensive backs have in their prime. That's insane! Running backs are even worse.

Edited by KidRN, January 15, 2019 - 02:40 AM.

#23 dazz

dazz

• 1,549 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 05:00 AM

Lonzo is in his own head. He’s shooting 30 something from 3, but there’s never been a stretch where that’s his percentage. He’s either lights out or Air Ball. His free throw routine needs consistency. Not mechanics, that will [expletive] him up even more, but he doesn’t have a set routine. He goes up there and it’s different every time, just throws the ball up and gets it over with.

Proper mechanics gets you consistency. Even not-so-good mechanics can: look how Zubac is capable of making 70 - 80% Fts even though he shoots them flat. 

I dunno, as a euro it's kind of mind blowing to see stuff like this. Here a lot of emphasis is placed on fundamentals at a very young age. At any rate, it's fixable, it's simply a matter of getting them to figure out proper mechanics plus lots of repetitions. This shouldn't be controversial, you learn to shoot by shooting a lot

2s6lb11.jpg

#24 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,609 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 15, 2019 - 06:43 AM

Who cares, the players, coaches are shooting the [expletive] while practicing their FT's while we are over here arguing......

#25 dazz

dazz

• 1,549 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 07:44 AM

Who cares, the players, coaches are shooting the [expletive] while practicing their FT's while we are over here arguing......

Not sure what's so funny that they're laughing the whole time there. Focus on the damn free throws kids. Ugh.

Ingram's mechanics look good to me. Ball at least seems to be following some kind of routine there, bouncing 3 times before shooting, but he shoots with his forearm, almost no wrist engaged

• MaceWindu likes this

2s6lb11.jpg

#26 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,290 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted January 15, 2019 - 09:26 AM

its not luke nor anyone problem with lonzo or the team free throw problems but the players THEMSELVES. its their problem. if there missing the shots, its their fault. Luke and co can do so much. 

• GCMD, Jackson and dazz like this

Make Lakers Great Again. 

#27 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,000 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 15, 2019 - 09:55 AM

its not luke nor anyone problem with lonzo or the team free throw problems but the players THEMSELVES. its their problem. if there missing the shots, its their fault. Luke and co can do so much. 

Yup, its not like the coaches are out there telling them to not make their free throws.  Also, players that are fundamentally broken at some facet of the game should take it upon themselves to correct it.  Lonzo is a great player, but he simply is a liability in crunch time because fouling him is a better play statistically than allowing the Lakers to have a possession because it will generally yield less points.

• Persian Gulf likes this

#28 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,609 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 15, 2019 - 11:40 AM

It's systemic in todays young PG'. I heard Dennis Smith Jr. is on the trading blocks and was wondering about a Ball for Smith Jr. Swap......

Dennis Smith Jr. another PG... is shooting 68% from the FT line, WTF is going on.  

Ben Simmons? 56%

Fox? 72% - not bad, but not great for a PG

It's truly pathetic. 

Edited by BORNINLA, January 15, 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#29 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,674 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 04:25 PM

It's systemic in todays young PG'. I heard Dennis Smith Jr. is on the trading blocks and was wondering about a Ball for Smith Jr. Swap......

Dennis Smith Jr. another PG... is shooting 68% from the FT line, WTF is going on.

Ben Simmons? 56%

Fox? 72% - not bad, but not great for a PG

It's truly pathetic.

I don’t love smiths game, it’s a bit ball hoggy

I think lonzo has more potential

Sure you’d get more consistent scoring but Smith is a scoring guard. He’s not a passer
Posted Image

#30 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,290 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 07:40 PM

Yup, its not like the coaches are out there telling them to not make their free throws.  Also, players that are fundamentally broken at some facet of the game should take it upon themselves to correct it.  Lonzo is a great player, but he simply is a liability in crunch time because fouling him is a better play statistically than allowing the Lakers to have a possession because it will generally yield less points.

thats why luke has him out during the 4th and have kcp (our best ft on the line) 

if lonzo wants to be taken serious and wants to be in the 4th then he has to learn to shoot his ft. 

43% does not cut it. 

Deandre Jordan made a improvement 

Make Lakers Great Again. 

#31 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,272 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 16, 2019 - 12:33 AM

Then why is it getting progressively worse?

No idea...but I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things.

I'm saying it's easy to fix.  No matter who you are, you can become a good FT shooter...even people who have never played organized ball can become great FT shooters.  Spend 1 summer in the gym focusing on FT shooting reps, not changing your mechanics and shoot 1000-2000 FTs a day and he'd improve to 75-80% by next season.  It's that simple.

Lonzo is a bad FT shooter.

Lonzo is in his 2nd year.

Lonzo knows it's bad.

Luke knows it's bad.

Magic knows it's bad.

Not a big deal.

#32 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:LeBron James aka King James

Posted February 21, 2019 - 10:03 AM

Just watch the video at 2:30, see Lonzo brick two FT and he's laughing:  

What would KOBE say about this?   How would KOBE approach a practice?  

No idea...but I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things.

I'm saying it's easy to fix.  No matter who you are, you can become a good FT shooter...even people who have never played organized ball can become great FT shooters.  Spend 1 summer in the gym focusing on FT shooting reps, not changing your mechanics and shoot 1000-2000 FTs a day and he'd improve to 75-80% by next season.  It's that simple.

Lonzo is a bad FT shooter.

Lonzo is in his 2nd year.

Lonzo knows it's bad.

Luke knows it's bad.

Magic knows it's bad.

Not a big deal.

#33 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,583 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2019 - 10:25 AM

WWKD?
  • Persian Gulf and BigBaller like this

#34 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts

Posted February 21, 2019 - 04:12 PM

What Would Kobe Do?  Haha....I think he would tell ZO to get off his phone, practice his free throws.  There's no way Kobe is impressed by Lonzo's poor work ethic.

WWKD?

#35 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,272 posts

Posted February 24, 2019 - 05:03 AM

Just watch the video at 2:30, see Lonzo brick two FT and he's laughing:  

What would KOBE say about this?   How would KOBE approach a practice?  

Kobe would get in their butts.

Kobe is an all-time GREAT who was driven from Day 1.

Kobe was the son of an NBA player.

Kobe isn't here.

I'm not defending Lonzo's shooting.  I'm trying to remind all of y'all that FTs aren't a measure of a player's talent.  Mechanics aren't even the most important thing for shooting FTs.  No defense.  No rush.  No hand in your face.  It's all mental and muscle memory. 

I can shoot 50% FTs literally with my eyes closed and I'm probably only a 75% FT shooter.  Why?  Because I've shot so many in my life...I'm also twice Lonzo's age so...

Reps, reps and more reps.  Lonzo needs to focus on getting better as a FT shooter, no question.  Even if he doesn't reach 70% for his career, that's won't make or break his career.  I'm hard on Ingram for many things...you've not seen me ride him for his FT shooting.  It's not that big of an issue.

If we were a contender, sure.  We'd need all of these guys to do the little things.  Right now, they need to focus on DEFENSE and learning how to set/use screens.

This discussion is the very definition of "cart before horse".

Edited by GCMD, February 24, 2019 - 05:04 AM.

#36 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,290 posts

Posted February 24, 2019 - 07:20 AM

All im saying if DeAndre Jordan can improve his free throw shooting.. so can Lonzo

• GCMD likes this

Make Lakers Great Again. 

#37 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,272 posts

Posted February 24, 2019 - 09:17 AM

All im saying if DeAndre Jordan can improve his free throw shooting.. so can Lonzo

This x 1,000...

You should have dropped the mic on them.

#38 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,000 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2019 - 09:40 AM

This x 1,000...

You should have dropped the mic on them.

80 year olds can drain 90% at the line with proper training, and have, there is no excuse for an elite athlete if that is what they want to focus on, its pure muscle memory, you are standing in the same place, the rim isn't moving or anything.  

#39 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts

Posted February 24, 2019 - 01:37 PM

Excuses, excuses, excuses..... won't cut it on a LeBron team. 

If you don't shoot 50% or better from the line, you're not a #BigBaller 

Kobe would get in their butts.

Kobe is an all-time GREAT who was driven from Day 1.

Kobe was the son of an NBA player.

Kobe isn't here.

I'm not defending Lonzo's shooting.  I'm trying to remind all of y'all that FTs aren't a measure of a player's talent.  Mechanics aren't even the most important thing for shooting FTs.  No defense.  No rush.  No hand in your face.  It's all mental and muscle memory. 

I can shoot 50% FTs literally with my eyes closed and I'm probably only a 75% FT shooter.  Why?  Because I've shot so many in my life...I'm also twice Lonzo's age so...

Reps, reps and more reps.  Lonzo needs to focus on getting better as a FT shooter, no question.  Even if he doesn't reach 70% for his career, that's won't make or break his career.  I'm hard on Ingram for many things...you've not seen me ride him for his FT shooting.  It's not that big of an issue.

If we were a contender, sure.  We'd need all of these guys to do the little things.  Right now, they need to focus on DEFENSE and learning how to set/use screens.

This discussion is the very definition of "cart before horse".

• I Love Lebron likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users