• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

#721 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

AD won’t be the best player on a team that has LeBron.

If we had AD, he'd be here a lot longer than LeBron.

#722 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,909 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Today, 12:07 AM

Game changer?  If we didn't have LeBron, I'd disagree.  I think AD is a unicorn but he's not an Alpha.  I have serious reservations about being able to win an NBA Ch'ip with AD as your best player.

I think he's a game changer and i'm not sure i agree about the alpha part.

We'll see how this season goes. Then in the offseason we get a shot at a rather large handfull of really good players and then we'll kick the tires on another AD-deal.

In my dream-scenario, we see Kyrie leave Boston and we sign a max level FA (Kawhi, KD, Kyrie etc.) and then trade for AD without giving up Lonzo due to Boston and NY not willing to go all-in. At worst, we might sign Boogie AND Bledsoe and then hit the trade market which also would be a massive upgrade.

Generally, it's interesting to try and figure out the different trickle-down effects that can happen this summer.

For instance, say NY get Kyrie and KD. Then what happens? Depending on where their pick land the Knicks could even follow that up with an AD-trade (2019 top 4-5, Knox, Dennis Smith, Nicotine, 3-4 future 1st rounders is a strong offer). That would suck.

OTOH we should then consider what would happen with the other top FAs. If NY goes all-in like this i think Philly pretty much has to go all-in on keeping Butler and Harris taking them off the market. Klay and Middleton stay put as well.

But do you really see Kawhi join the Clips in this scenario? I dont. I think he goes to the Lakers, who then would have the money and trade assets to round out the roster.

The one scenario i dont like is if Kyrie stays in Boston and KD and Kawhi join forces with the Clippers.

#723 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,806 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

I tend to look at it like this. In today's NBA, it REALLY helps to have an elite ball handler running the offense. In the past, you could get away with an average guard making a post entry pass and running to the corner. But nowadays, in order for a big man to be effective, he needs to be paired with someone who can bring the ball up the floor and be a threat in some fashion.

Joel Embiid, one of the best young bigs today, benefitted greatly from Ben Simmons, for example. In AD's case, he is doing a fine job individually on a bad team. But in order to translate into team success, I think a critical component is including that ball handling player. LeBron James obviously does exactly this. Doesn't have to be a "point guard", but someone who can play that role well. I also think this is why DMC and AD did not coexist as well as one would have hoped. 

Part of the reason GCMD and others are higher on a guy like Leonard is that he does not need that type of perimeter player to be completely effective. Nevertheless, everyone on this board would agree that Davis is still a top 5-10 player in the league. I am actually very high on him even as a primary option, but he needs to have a very well-thought out supporting cast around him to be a title contender. 

For example a team of:

All-star ish PG (15-20 ppg, 8-10 apg)

Shooting SG (~40% from 3)

All-star two-way wing (20-25 ppg with solid defense)

Stretch PF (~37% from 3)

AD 

Could be a legitimate threat. But you need that guard and perimeter scoring, for sure. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, Today, 10:09 AM.

#724 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,721 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted Today, 10:07 AM

Honestly I'd be happy with just adding Leonard and then going from there

Keep ball and kuzma and trade Ingram and whoever else for whoever fits a team of: ball, kuzma, James and Leonard
  • GCMD likes this

ap1.png

#725 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts

Posted Today, 10:37 AM

I tend to look at it like this. In today's NBA, it REALLY helps to have an elite ball handler running the offense. In the past, you could get away with an average guard making a post entry pass and running to the corner. But nowadays, in order for a big man to be effective, he needs to be paired with someone who can bring the ball up the floor and be a threat in some fashion.

Joel Embiid, one of the best young bigs today, benefitted greatly from Ben Simmons, for example. In AD's case, he is doing a fine job individually on a bad team. But in order to translate into team success, I think a critical component is including that ball handling player. LeBron James obviously does exactly this. Doesn't have to be a "point guard", but someone who can play that role well. I also think this is why DMC and AD did not coexist as well as one would have hoped. 

Part of the reason GCMD and others are higher on a guy like Leonard is that he does not need that type of perimeter player to be completely effective. Nevertheless, everyone on this board would agree that Davis is still a top 5-10 player in the league. I am actually very high on him even as a primary option, but he needs to have a very well-thought out supporting cast around him to be a title contender. 

For example a team of:

All-star ish PG (15-20 ppg, 8-10 apg)

Shooting SG (~40% from 3)

All-star two-way wing (20-25 ppg with solid defense)

Stretch PF (~37% from 3)

AD 

Could be a legitimate threat. But you need that guard and perimeter scoring, for sure. 

I think the reason I'm not high on AD as a primary option is he's a finisher, not a creator.  He's like KG mixed with Amare' - moves like a wing like KG but is at his best finishing plays created by someone else like Amare (with Amare's size/strength).

AD would be better if he stuck to being an elite rebounder, elite defender and an elite screen setter.  He'd be great(er).  Does that mean you can build a team around him?  Not a CHAMPIONSHIP team, not IMHO.

Last team that tried?

ORL with Dwight.  4-out, 1-in worked because Dwight didn't try to be a stretch big.  He was dominant in the post and he perfected playing off others.

If AD committed to dominating close to the basket, he'd be unstoppable.  P&R perfection.  As long as he thinks he can dominate as a stretch BIG or "positionless" player, no team is going to be elite with him as their #1 option.

AD played his best ball in years when Rondo started at PG in the Playoffs for NOP last year.  Why?  Because all he had to do is finish.

Same argument I made for Randle (play to your strengths, not your weaknesses) except AD has more perimeter skills than Randle...doesn't mean he should not lean on what makes him great.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#726 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,629 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

Honestly I'd be happy with just adding Leonard and then going from there

Keep ball and kuzma and trade Ingram and whoever else for whoever fits a team of: ball, kuzma, James and Leonard

Klay is the biggest prize this offseason. It isn’t particularly close. He isn’t the best available but him with LeBron is a total joke. Best piece LeBron will have ever played with.

#727 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts

Posted Today, 12:38 PM

Klay is the biggest prize this offseason. It isn’t particularly close. He isn’t the best available but him with LeBron is a total joke. Best piece LeBron will have ever played with.

LOL...not sure if you're serious about that.

Klay is a great shooter and an integral part of what makes GSW great.

Klay is NOT the best piece LeBron will have ever played with.  

I understand what you mean as far as the fit being great.  I don't agree with the notion that he's the only good or great fit next to LeBron available this summer.  As long as we have Lonzo and Kuzma, you could just as easily slot Kyrie or DMC in at the 1/2 or 5 and we'd be a great team...

Lonzo

Klay

LeBron

Kuzma

???

Lonzo

Kyrie

LeBron

Kuzma

???

Lonzo

???

LeBron

Kuzma

DMC

We'd be a top 4 team in the NBA regardless, IMHO.

Klay isn't likely leaving GSW anyway so we might as not get our hopes up there...

Edited by GCMD, Today, 12:41 PM.

#728 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,397 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Today, 01:00 PM

I don't think it's likely we trade for AD and while it would have been nice if we can add talent in free agency while keeping the players we would have traded for AD that's fine by me.
  • GCMD likes this

11 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

GCMD, LAkerFan85, Bing (1)