727 replies to this topic

#41 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,796 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 15, 2019 - 04:47 PM

A part of me wants the Lakers to keep losing so the Lakers finally make changes. I think the young core and Luke gave them false hope last season, enough to convince the front office to remain patient when they really shouldn't have.

I'm done with Ingram and Luke. They both have to go.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#42 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,764 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 04:53 PM

Well here’s the thing

Ingram can be mistake draft pick and the offense can suck

Kuzma averaged 22ppg in December and was pretty damn consistent. And still kuzma shows flashes constantly despite the offense and I keep seeing justifications for this when in reality kuzma is probably just the more talented player with higher potential. I really think it’s that simple

It’s as I’ve said many times. A legitimately talented player does not need a system to be effective. A great system can accentuate their already present gifts but a system will not make a mediocre talent a sudden all star

Giannis showed signs regardless of coach, as did harden, players with legit star potential show signs no matter the situation

A player with REAL potential does not have one legitimately impactful game in 40 games and a slight sprinkling of empty stats games regardless of the coach

Look at Dennis Smith jr. why is he struggling with a legit coach but luka isn’t?

He had a solid rookie year? It’s because maybe he doesn’t have the potential and Dallas is maybe smartly selling high before he goes in the dumps and nobody wants him

Ingram isn’t playing well, and that’s not all on luke because a player with legitimate potential would find a way to be effective. Nobody argued Kobe’s potential when he had del Harris coaching him, benching him, seemed to show the spark was there regardless

I think blaming Luke for Ingram is a cop out for Ingram. Facts are he’s a ghost and if he really needs a specific system to be consistently effective then he’s not worth the trouble because quite frankly he hasn’t remotely earned that.

I just think the issues with this team are beyond Ingram and his fit.

I’m not necessarily blaming Luke. I think there are issues with how Ingram’s development has been handled by the coaching staff, and front office. Ingram himself isn’t blameless as there’s been multiple occasions where he didn’t look engaged on either end of the floor.

-Coaching staff needs to get him touches in more advantageous positions. I get Bron is out and we need a primary shot-creator, but that’s not Ingram’s game. You let him play to his strengths, not weaknesses. He’ll refine those as he gets more experience.

-There are things Ingram can do on the court, like Kuzma, regardless of whether there is a play drawn up. Kuzma is overall a far more gifted scorer and he will thrive because of that. Ingram has the same predictable moves and plays right into the defense. Basically scoring via brute force the way LeBron does. Not taking 3’s. Needs to expand his range. If he’s going to be effective, he needs to take more 3’s, especially when defenders give him the Lonzo treatment. While I also like his on-ball defense, his effort and effectiveness off the ball should be much better considering his length alone.

-Front office should’ve brought in some reliable shooters. Brook was key, it’s becoming evident as we move into season. Especially for Ingram as he now has very few opportunities to go downhill without a congested paint. It’s a missed shot, turnover, or missed free throws. Helps with spacing for all the young guys, and gives Ingram room to operate in those pick and roll sets that seem to be our only plays right now.

Still believe there’s a good player within Ingram, but I’m not sure if it’s the player the Lakers want him to be and I don’t think getting rid of him solves all the issues with this team.

#43 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,764 posts

Posted January 15, 2019 - 05:02 PM

And I’ve watched every single game this year but one, 40+ games of Ingram’s disappearing act

Well, some not all. I’m far more frustrated watching this dysfunctional offense than I am by what Ingram is doing. It’s bad. Lakers have been succeeding on offense mostly due to talent. Something with that needs to change before I have a burning desire to start shipping young guys out. That doesn’t make them blameless, it’s just how I interpret the situation.

#44 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,525 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 15, 2019 - 05:32 PM

Tatum, Mitchell, KAT, Jaylen, Rozier, Embiid, Wiggins all have had major struggles this year at some point.

Our kids are fine

#45 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 15, 2019 - 11:16 PM

Well, some not all. I’m far more frustrated watching this dysfunctional offense than I am by what Ingram is doing. It’s bad. Lakers have been succeeding on offense mostly due to talent. Something with that needs to change before I have a burning desire to start shipping young guys out. That doesn’t make them blameless, it’s just how I interpret the situation.

Look at the difference in GSW's offense since KD's been there...doesn't look or feel the same.  More talent doesn't always mean better offense.  I think Ingram is more talented than, let's just use Hart for example, but as far as better fit for the offense, Hart hands down.

If you're upset about the offense, you have to be fair.  Not all players play well in all offenses, no matter who the coach is.  See Phil Jackson.  Legendary coach but he was a STICKLER for fit over random talent...it matters.

IMHO, if you have 4 players that play well together, that 5th guy doesn't have to be super talented.  He just has to fill in the weaknesses of the other guys while not hurting the team on either end.

Even if you changed the offense, the way Ingram plays wouldn't make sense next to the other 4 starters without changing the offense to fit Ingram, not the others.  I don't think Ingram has earned that nor is there any evidence that featuring Ingram would lead to more wins.

So is the offense perfect?  Far from it.  But when Ingram was out, the offense played well with backups.  When Ingram is in, it's like 4 on 5 or Ingram vs 5.  That would lead one to a logical conclusion that Ingram is the issue, not the offense.

#46 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,444 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 16, 2019 - 01:32 AM

Let’s get through this season and see what free agents we can get!

#47 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,644 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 16, 2019 - 04:15 AM

Its a shame for us that Beal is making all that money, he would be perfect for this team.

• GCMD likes this

#48 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• LN Staff
  • 11,197 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 16, 2019 - 08:28 PM

Jay KingVerified account @ByJayKing

Kyrie Irving said he called LeBron James and apologized. Said sometimes getting the most out of your group is not the easiest thing.

Kyrie is a free agent this summer. LeBron and Kyrie reunion this summer?  :D

• GCMD likes this

#49 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,643 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 08:31 PM

I’d be down lol
Posted Image

#50 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,810 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted January 16, 2019 - 09:06 PM

Kyrie isn't a superstar we should be going after according to some on this forum

#51 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,764 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 09:16 PM

Kyrie isn't a superstar we should be going after according to some on this forum

Big difference between trading assets for Kyrie to be your #1 and signing him outright to be your #2 while keeping all your assets. The last time the Kyrie topic was brought up here, LeBron wasn’t on the team. That changes things.

I don’t doubt that Zo and Kyrie can be backcourt mates, but at that point I’d have to question how well the Lakers can develop him in a lineup featuring Kyrie and LeBron. The play would obviously be to package him and Ingram + for Davis and hope they’ve boosted their value by the time that time comes.

Kyrie, LeBron and Davis. Lol. And if you keep Kuz? Kyrie and Davis have 5+ years at this level, in my opinion. That’s a team to be [expletive]ed with. Almost 0% chance it happens, though.
  • Jackson likes this

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,643 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 09:17 PM

I’d love if Kyrie signed

Could probably send anyone and everyone for Davis at that point including kuzma
  • Jackson likes this
Posted Image

#53 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,998 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 16, 2019 - 09:39 PM

If it happen. this would be a cool pick up for ththe Lakers. With young guns, that could be gun to watch against GS and Houston

#54 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,643 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 09:51 PM

If it happen. this would be a cool pick up for ththe Lakers. With young guns, that could be gun to watch against GS and Houston

If they got Kyrie I’d trade 2 of the young guys tbh. Probably ball and Ingram. I mean if you can get Bradley Beal to go with Lebron, kyrie and kuzma you’re probably looking at one of the best teams in the league.
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this
Posted Image

#55 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:30 PM

If they got Kyrie I’d trade 2 of the young guys tbh. Probably ball and Ingram. I mean if you can get Bradley Beal to go with Lebron, kyrie and kuzma you’re probably looking at one of the best teams in the league.

Can't lie...that would be great.

#56 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,525 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:37 PM

I think with a Kyrie level signing... It's zero reason to trade. At the end of the day, depth is the best chance at upsetting the apple cart

All of a sudden
Bron
Kyrie
Kuz 3rd best scorer
BI and Zo ... Defense oriented players who can play make... Offense should get a bit more efficient. Josh Hart SVi and No and ring chasing SHOOTERS... Arizas and such...
Kemba could be the realistic version of this but small guards scare me. Zo and Ingram definitely need to stay if that happens.

#57 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,810 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:41 PM

I’d love if Kyrie signed

Could probably send anyone and everyone for Davis at that point including kuzma

That would help out a lot considering the chances for Durant and Kawhi to sign here have significantly decreased.

But then again, if they won't sign here, I doubt Kyrie would want to sign.

#58 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:41 PM

I think with a Kyrie level signing... It's zero reason to trade. At the end of the day, depth is the best chance at upsetting the apple cart

All of a sudden
Bron
Kyrie
Kuz 3rd best scorer
BI and Zo ... Defense oriented players who can play make... Offense should get a bit more efficient. Josh Hart SVi and No and ring chasing SHOOTERS... Arizas and such...
Kemba could be the realistic version of this but small guards scare me. Zo and Ingram definitely need to stay if that happens.

Kyrie

Lonzo

LeBron

Kuzma

McGee/Chandler

Ingram would be going into his contract year (4th year) before going into RFA in Summer 2020.  Even if we wanted to keep him, he wouldn't want to stay and come off the bench.

Add Kyrie, Ingram is gone.

#59 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:43 PM

That would help out a lot considering the chances for Durant and Kawhi to sign here have significantly decreased.

But then again, if they won't sign here, I doubt Kyrie would want to sign.

We're still LA.  Kuzma is a good young player.  So is Lonzo.  LeBron is still a top 5 player next year.  Lots of reasons for Kyrie to sign here.

#60 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,810 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:54 PM

We're still LA.  Kuzma is a good young player.  So is Lonzo.  LeBron is still a top 5 player next year.  Lots of reasons for Kyrie to sign here.

Kyrie left Cleveland because of LeBron. We can't deny that. His latest comments don't even come close to imply he wants to sign here.

Durant publicly said big time players don't want to sign with the Lakers because of LEBron.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Japago, Bing (2), lakerfan98, GCMD, LAkerFan85