Photo

Realistic ways to win this year (be the GM)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,545 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 04, 2019 - 02:46 PM

Been a lot of back and forth about what LA should be doing with the roster and strategy on the floor.  Let's discuss some realistic things that can be done this year to give the team the best chance to win.

Anthony Davis trade is most likely NOT happening this year for a few reasons so let's not bombard the thread with that or anything having to do with NEXT season.  

A few knowns:

1. LA is going to preserve cap space of a max player (so trading for Beal is a non starter in this thread)

2. LA isn't trading Lebron lol

3. Luke likely isn't getting fired

Suggestions that can get the team going:

1. I think internally LA should consider playing KCP more than Hart.  Hart has been a fan favorite but when he's bad it mostly goes unnoticed because he's not one of the high expectation lottery guys.  He's also still too slow footed vs quick guards.   Not sure if that will change.  

Maybe another way to go about this is playing Hart at the 4 and Kuz at the 2 defensively, matchup based of course.  They seem to have the opposite issues of each other on defense.  

2. They also have to find a way to get Moe Wagner more minutes.  This team doesn't need a roster overhaul to shore up more shooting but they need a big thats a threat to shoot.  Tyson Chandler has done well for us but he's still an offensive liability at times and a guy like Moe can give the team a bit more spacing for getting to the hole instead of just jacking up 3s.  

I think a shooter at the 5 can open up things like Brook did for BI and Zo last year.  Moe is still a 1st round pick that was a 3 year college player and I don't believe all his time needs to spent in the G League.  They have to figure out if he can contribute like Kuz did last year.  

3.  I don't believe they'll make any real trades this year due to the AD situation.  KCP might be the only value piece they can move in season w/o jeopardizing the assets needed for an AD move.  Im not even sure what's on the market that KCP can get back that would actually boost the team. 

I rewatched the Warriors game and this team probably is the best built to beat the Warriors over any NBA.  Not saying they are the BEST team but they are the best matchup for that team.  On the flip side I believe other teams like the Rockets present some issues for them if they continue to stay inconsistent offensively.  

I'm not in a panic like some though.  Bron covers a lot of offensive issues DESPITE some of the perceived ills the team has.  LA doesn't have a 2nd guy avg 20-25 a game but they do have 3-4 guys that can get 15-18 together with Lebron having a big night.  Hopefully we can secure Ariza in the buyout market come playoff time to add more shooting and length on D.  

What do you guys have?  

Edited by Jody Smokes, January 04, 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• DanishLakerFan likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,360 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2019 - 02:51 PM

Been a lot of back and forth about what LA should be doing with the roster and strategy on the floor. Let's discuss some realistic things that can be done this year to give the team the best chance to win.

Anthony Davis trade is most likely NOT happening this year for a few reasons so let's not bombard the thread with that or anything having to do with NEXT season.

A few knowns:

1. LA is going to preserve cap space of a max player (so trading for Beal is a non starter in this thread)
2. LA isn't trading Lebron lol
3. Luke likely isn't getting fired

Suggestions that can get the team going:

1. I think internally LA should consider playing KCP more than Hart. Hart has been a fan favorite but when he's bad it mostly goes unnoticed because he's not one of the high expectation lottery guys. He's also still too slow footed vs quick guards. Not sure if that will change.

Maybe another way to go about this is playing Hart at the 4 and Kuz at the 2 defensively, matchup based of course. They seem to have the opposite issues of each other on defense.

2. They also have to find a way to get Moe Wagner more minutes. This team doesn't need a roster overhaul to shore up more shooting but they need a big thats a threat to shoot. Tyson Chandler has done well for us but he's still an offensive liability at times and a guy like Moe can give the team a bit more spacing for getting to the hole instead of just jacking up 3s.

I think a shooter at the 5 can open up things like Brook did for BI and Zo last year. Moe is still a 1st round pick that was a 3 year college player and I don't believe all his time needs to spent in the G League. They have to figure out if he can contribute like Kuz did last year.

3. I don't believe they'll make any real trades this year due to the AD situation. KCP might be the only value piece they can move in season w/o jeopardizing the assets needed for an AD move. Im not even sure what's on the market that KCP can get back that would actually boost the team.

I rewatched the Warriors game and this team probably is the best built to beat the Warriors over any NBA. Not saying they are the BEST team but they are the best matchup for that team. On the flip side I believe other teams like the Rockets present some issues for them if they continue to stay inconsistent offensively.

I'm not in a panic like some though. Bron covers a lot of offensive issues DESPITE some of the perceived ills the team has. LA doesn't have a 2nd guy avg 20-25 a game but they do have 3-4 guys that can get 15-18 together with Lebron having a big night. Hopefully we can secure Ariza in the buyout market come playoff time to add more shooting and length on D.

What do you guys have?

Wagner can’t defend. That is why he doesn’t play. It’s not like he is some secret weapon rotting at the end of the bench. The Lakers win their games defensively, that is why he doesn’t and will likely not play.

#3 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,360 posts

Posted January 04, 2019 - 02:53 PM

You basically want to destroy the Lakers strength which is defense in favor of floor spacing. They have guys that can score in LBJ, Kuz, BI, KCP. not trying to be a dick but your plan would never work with this roster.
  • GCMD likes this

#4 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,596 posts

Posted January 04, 2019 - 03:15 PM

1. Let Lonzo initiate more sets when LeBron returns. He defers far too often. The vision this off-season was that LeBron would be used more as an attacker off the ball, I would like to see more of that and it would help address the late game “watch LeBron dribble for 20 seconds” plays. His finishing, penetration, and PnR game have all improved since October and it’s well established by now that he’s a rhythm player. I’m not a fan of BI running the offense late in the game with Lonzo on the bench.

2. Let BI get minutes with Beasley (who is back at shootaround) and Mo. It’s become evident that a stretch big helps unlock some of his strengths in the PnR game. This would’ve helped against OKC when they loaded up on him fairly easily down the stretch and he kept driving into brick walls.

3. Hope Washington buys out Ariza or see what 3/D guys hit the market. I’d like to keep KCP now as he’s the most reliable shooter on the team and his speed/attentiveness off the ball was crucial in tagging Curry/Klay on Christmas. Ingram is the only reliable guy you could stick on bigger wings. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why Luke had KCP and Hart guarding PG on Wednesday. Whatever. Harden, DeRozan, George etc., are guys that have torched us, but they torch everyone. If you can make it hard on them late in the game when it matters most, that’s key.

4. Hire a [expletive]ing shooting coach. We’re legitimately at the point where missing free throws is costing us games. There is no reason for a team to shoot below 70% from the free throw line. Luke can make them sign in for free throws and shoot 1,000 each practice but it’s irrelevant when guys like Zo and Ingram have clear mechanical issues.

Edited by Massacre, January 04, 2019 - 03:17 PM.

• Jody Smokes likes this

#5 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,596 posts

Posted January 04, 2019 - 03:20 PM

And you pointed this out already, but no, we’re not trading Ingram for Beal and giving up on KD/Kawhi, nor are the Pelicans giving us their franchise player because it’s convenient timing for us and not them.

#6 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,360 posts

Posted January 04, 2019 - 03:24 PM

1. Let Lonzo initiate more sets when LeBron returns. He defers far too often. The vision this off-season was that LeBron would be used more as an attacker off the ball, I would like to see more of that and it would help address the late game “watch LeBron dribble for 20 seconds” plays. His finishing, penetration, and PnR game have all improved since October and it’s well established by now that he’s a rhythm player. I’m not a fan of BI running the offense late in the game with Lonzo on the bench.

2. Let BI get minutes with Beasley (who is back at shootaround) and Mo. It’s become evident that a stretch big helps unlock some of his strengths in the PnR game. This would’ve helped against OKC when they loaded up on him fairly easily down the stretch and he kept driving into brick walls.

3. Hope Washington buys out Ariza or see what 3/D guys hit the market. I’d like to keep KCP now as he’s the most reliable shooter on the team and his speed/attentiveness off the ball was crucial in tagging Curry/Klay on Christmas. Ingram is the only reliable guy you could stick on bigger wings. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why Luke had KCP and Hart guarding PG on Wednesday. Whatever. Harden, DeRozan, George etc., are guys that have torched us, but they torch everyone. If you can make it hard on them late in the game when it matters most, that’s key.

4. Hire a [expletive]ing shooting coach. We’re legitimately at the point where missing free throws is costing us games. There is no reason for a team to shoot below 70% from the free throw line. Luke can make them sign in for free throws and shoot 1,000 each practice but it’s irrelevant when guys like Zo and Ingram have clear mechanical issues.

Free throws have cost the team more than anything. It’s not acceptable for them to shoot this poorly on something that is proven to be mechanically correctable. It’s one thing for a guy who is 7 foot 2 to miss them just because of the awkward nature of their body. Another thing entirely for guys the Lakers have to shoot so poorly.

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,545 posts

Posted January 04, 2019 - 05:28 PM

Are good shooting coaches not in abundance or something? Hard to understand why every NBA wouldn't have one especially if they weren't a good shooting team. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, January 04, 2019 - 05:28 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,498 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted January 04, 2019 - 11:32 PM

I'm not convinced the Lakers will be making any roster trades this season. Maybe some waiver signings but nothing else.

To win this year, Ingram has to magically become a reliable scorer, and Ball has to be better offensively and be engaged throughout the game.Just two things that are not going to happen.

• 4Warner likes this

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,893 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 04, 2019 - 11:56 PM

I'm not convinced the Lakers will be making any roster trades this season. Maybe some waiver signings but nothing else.

To win this year, Ingram has to magically become a reliable scorer, and Ball has to be better offensively and be engaged throughout the game.Just two things that are not going to happen.

Magic? That sounds like they need voodoo to me.
Paging Papa Shango
Papa Tunde

#10 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,379 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted January 05, 2019 - 08:45 AM

Lakers need to start playing Michael Beasley a lot more. Use Beasley like lakers and clippers used/using Lou Williams man. They say they need another scorer.. another shooter. You got one and you're not playing him. He's a mismatch for any team and a certified bucket getter. 

• Olabebeh likes this

#11 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,893 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2019 - 09:25 AM

This is true. I thought they would've started him from the jump over Hart and they ended up drdoing so in the 2nd half. I'm sure Mo would gave helped just a little too. With all the injuries, Luke should have thrown anybody out there to see who would have done something. Give Mo a try, give Bonga a try. Caruso to back up Lance and Lonzo.

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,545 posts

Posted January 05, 2019 - 10:11 AM

I honestly wish they'd fire Luke. It's clear they don't have an offensive system.  They keep trying to make BI perform like he's KD.  He's not that.  He still needs development and body maturity to be a reliable scorer on a good team.  

There's no reason for him to be running 6 consecutive ISO's in a game.  He's not that kinda player.  They also in the 3rd year should have a system in place.  I've been trying to optimistic but even I'm getting to my breaking point.  This team has exemplified too much talent across the roster to be this bad.  I'm a believer in the talent but not in how it's being used.  

All you have to do is watch a team like the Nets or the Magic to see the difference.  I guarantee you if Steve Clifford was coaching this team things would look differently.  

• Olabebeh likes this

#13 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,398 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 05, 2019 - 10:46 AM

It's clear they don't have an offensive system. 

They keep trying to make BI perform like he's KD.  He's not that.  He still needs development and body maturity to be a reliable scorer on a good team.  

I've been trying to optimistic but even I'm getting to my breaking point. 

This team has exemplified too much talent across the roster to be this bad. 

I'm a believer in the talent but not in how it's being used.  

I would agree or at least there is no system without Bron.

I would agree the problem however I think BI is an ISO player... how much longer are we giving him?

Welcome to the dark side.

"too much talent across the roster" Please expand?

I am torn.

Jody, you are one of the best & consistent posters, whether we agree or not, keep on brotha!

Go Lakers!

Edited by LACAS, January 05, 2019 - 10:46 AM.

#14 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,969 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 05, 2019 - 10:53 AM

Things were clicking with a healthy roster and it seemed as though we were firing on all cylinders against the Warriors on Christmas day.

The past several games have been a pain to watch.  Even with KCP finally finding some consistency in his jumper, we just don't have enough fire power to get consistent offense, especially down the stretch.

I'm very disappointed with the way Ingram has performed with Lebron out.  I viewed it as a chance for him to prove/display what he is capable of doing and unfortunately it's been very underwhelming.  I do disagree with the way he's being utilized in the offense. 

He's the type of player who should get iso looks and post ups, but the fact that they consistently force the iso, especially down the stretch when he was clearly not succeeding was a pain to watch.

It's difficult for any team when you remove the 2 most consistent/lethal scoring threats (Lebron and Kuzma) so I get why it's been tough to win games, but there needs to be a much better game plan and execution down the stretch.  

As far as being a GM, I'd dangle the idea of trading Ingram depending on what we could get in return.  However, the ideas being thrown out such as Bradley Beal just isn't worth the cost amount.  Sure he's a good 2 guard, but he's not worth the pricetag.

• LACAS and 4Warner like this

#15 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,398 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 05, 2019 - 10:58 AM

100%

Edited by LACAS, January 05, 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,545 posts

Posted January 05, 2019 - 11:10 AM

BI is not an iso player.  He didn't play like this at Duke.  BI is clearly talented but he needs more development and it's likely he's not ready for a high usage role but that doesn't mean can contribute to the team in meaningful ways.  He's still their best on ball option for the top wings out West.  

That's the thing that gets lost on this board.  BI may not be a star but that doesn't make what he can bring and contribute bad.  Zo is clearly talented as well but I believe his issues are more confidence based than BI's.  In the end when you add Bron to a roster it hurts development because of the ridiculous expectations.  The front office is out here whoring themselves out for a star player not even thinking about how that effects these 20-21 year old guys that are in the SOCIAL MEDIA age.   

I still have hopes for the team and it's never good to make assessments after a bad loss.  Go watch the Kings win or even the highlights and look at what he was doing vs the Knicks.  He was forcing way too much bull[expletive] at the rim vs the Knicks.  It's not quality ball and it's not a role he's ever excelled at.  

I still don't understand why Luke yanks Zo so much.  That [expletive] is as puzzling as anything I've seen from this team.  

At this point Luke is a common denominator in what is wrong with this team.  They aren't going to be able to make a trade this year so they have to figure out how to get the best out of this roster.  Because if they don't it won't matter come time to make a trade lol.  If BI isn't performing well they aren't going to be able to move him for Anthony Davis.  

I would agree or at least there is no system without Bron.

I would agree the problem however I think BI is an ISO player... how much longer are we giving him?

Welcome to the dark side.

"too much talent across the roster" Please expand?

I am torn.

Jody, you are one of the best & consistent posters, whether we agree or not, keep on brotha!

Go Lakers!

Edited by Jody Smokes, January 05, 2019 - 11:13 AM.

• 4Warner likes this

#17 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,596 posts

Posted January 05, 2019 - 11:39 AM

Luke is a players coach, the guys like him, and he’s done a great job emphasizing defense and making that a priority for the young guys.

With that said, I’m really puzzled how you can not implement any sort of offensive system outside of run and gun, or read and react. It’s not going to work. I’m not necessarily advocating for his firing, but at the very least, he needs to have a staff that can cover his deficiencies. He doesn’t. He hires his buddies. B Shaw is the only guy with legit coaching experience and I’m pretty confident the team’s offense would look much better if it were something he was in charge of.

This team is losing games in the same ways. It’s inexcusable. Lack of execution down the stretch and ISO ball has made a 4th quarter lead irrelevant. This desire to continuously let Ingram initiate the offense late is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. You have Lonzo, use him. There’s no reason for him to be playing off-ball in favor of Lance and BI.

The lack of offense is the main issue Magic had with Luke and it doesn’t appear as though anything came from that early season meeting. Should’ve brought in some quality assistants yesterday. If Luke wants to stick with his guys, that’s understandable, but he’ll be on the way out with them.
  • 4Warner likes this

#18 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,596 posts

Posted January 05, 2019 - 11:41 AM

It’s funny how we had Snyder, Clifford, and Messina all on staff under Mike Brown. Would kill for that situation right now.
  • Jackson and Olabebeh like this

#19 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,498 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted January 05, 2019 - 12:27 PM

It’s funny how we had Snyder, Clifford, and Messina all on staff under Mike Brown. Would kill for that situation right now.

Yeah damn... Never thought of that.

#20 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,360 posts

Posted January 05, 2019 - 01:51 PM

Those were also pretty decent teams.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (4)