Photo

Anthony Davis Trade Discussion

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,956 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 22, 2018 - 03:14 PM

That legacy thing is pretty damning that he wants out. Just a matter of when we get the Ad has requested a trade update.

If I were the Lakers I would throw Kuzma/Ingram/Hart at them and enticing them to do the trade now. Would love to keep Ball.

#42 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,875 posts

Posted December 22, 2018 - 04:35 PM

This dinner thing is funny. Reported by Chris Haynes, who is in good with Klutch. They wanted this public. At this point the writing is on the wall and it’s a matter of when, not if.

AD is asking out this summer. Anyone who wants that to happen, just keep rooting for NOLA to suck.

0% chance he’s traded mid-season though. I’m sure they can offer that supermax internally, and not officially, but this isn’t something you rush, you have to ignite a bidding war. From there, I expect AD to make his intentions clear on who he would re-sign with.

And if he tells Boston he’s not interested...the path is clear for him to end up a Laker. It’ll be an interesting summer.

Edited by Massacre, December 22, 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#43 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,875 posts

Posted December 22, 2018 - 04:43 PM

And to be honest, Rich Paul and AD switching agencies is a big factor in all this. I think LA can escape negotiations without exactly surrendering every valuable asset they have. All he has to do is tell prospective teams that he’s not interested is bouncing to LA. He plays a big factor in how much leverage LA will have in talks, and I think it goes without saying that he and LeBron would be operating as one entity in this particular scenario.

The gamble a team will have to take is much greater than those involved in PG/Kawhi talks. Boston would HAVE to give up Tatum just to get negotiations started. Is Danny Ainge taking that risk? He’s already stingy as it, probably wouldn’t offer Tatum even if Davis was interested in Boston.

Edited by Massacre, December 22, 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#44 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,659 posts

Posted December 22, 2018 - 05:10 PM

Best case scenario in my mind is that Ingram starts killing it to the point that he’s a center piece type player in a trade like that

And we can then try and keep kuzma and ball

Unlikely of course but the idea of getting AD by just unloading Wagner, Ingram, hart and every pick we own makes me happy

But we’ll see, Magic seemed confident in landing another superstar, then AD signs with klutch out of nowhere

I do wonder if the pelicans will be stingy with the lakers due to how this comes off as strong arming

Also I wonder how the league will view klutch sports

There are clear lebron ties and I wonder if the league will view it differently moving forward
  • Jackson and lakerfan98 like this
Posted Image

#45 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,956 posts

Posted December 22, 2018 - 05:53 PM

Best case scenario in my mind is that Ingram starts killing it to the point that he’s a center piece type player in a trade like that

And we can then try and keep kuzma and ball

Unlikely of course but the idea of getting AD by just unloading Wagner, Ingram, hart and every pick we own makes me happy

But we’ll see, Magic seemed confident in landing another superstar, then AD signs with klutch out of nowhere

I do wonder if the pelicans will be stingy with the lakers due to how this comes off as strong arming

Also I wonder how the league will view klutch sports

There are clear lebron ties and I wonder if the league will view it differently moving forward

Start discussion with Ingram and Hart as the main pieces.

Or include Kuzma and keep Hart.

Or they can take Kuzma, Ingram, and Hart.

And if they insist on Ball, YOLO it.

If we land AD, then I think theyll try to get rid of Klutch Sports. This is strong arming all the way.

Edited by Jackson, December 22, 2018 - 05:54 PM.

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,614 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 22, 2018 - 08:41 PM

Is this a midseason trade or offseason trade?  B/c doing this midseason only ensures less shooting, less defensive versatility and most definitely a loss in this year's playoffs lol

If I were the Lakers I would throw Kuzma/Ingram/Hart at them and enticing them to do the trade now. Would love to keep Ball.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,410 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted December 23, 2018 - 03:08 AM

oh yeah something is going on. Lebron was probably telling AD I can make you a champion and have a legendary career. AD is not winning in NOLA. He’ll wasted there. Magic knows what he is doing. He’s using Lebron to get AD obviously. You throw everything at AD. Keep Lonzo. Throw everybody else

#48 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 29,508 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 23, 2018 - 10:31 AM

Pincus put up an article about how the lakers could have an advantage with ADs trade kicker. Apparently NO has 0 interest in paying it and it could be something AD could waive just for the lakers. So basically it could be in NOs interest to trade him to the lakes to get that kicker waived. Of course he could waive it for other teams but if the goal is LA then he won't.

https://bleacherrepo...lakers-leverage

#49 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 29,508 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 23, 2018 - 10:33 AM

Video of AD at lebrons BBQ with the laker team

https://twitter.com/...4031740928?s=21

#50 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 676 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted December 23, 2018 - 10:37 AM

(this was in the main free agency discussion thread but i'm moving it here because it seems more appropriate)

@GCMD (and anyone else that's interested!!!)

Please see my comments below and tell me why we shouldn't trade Lebron for AD. 

My assumptions -

1. we are trying to win NOW and in the future 

-> priority on assembling a team that can compete for years and maintain roster and cap flexibility

2. we want more championships than boston ASAP

3. KD/Kawhi/Kyrie/Butler/Thompson are more likely to want to play with AD than Lebron

-> This is probably the biggest and most important assumption

4. Based on *FIT* with AD and the lakers (and some personal preference): Kawhi > Thompson > Kyrie > Butler > KD

5. Kuzma and Hart are the least expendable players of our young core/depth that we have; Lonzo is good but he also costs more than 4 times each of kuzma or hart; more than twice for both of them

GCMD, on 20 Dec 2018 - 5:00 PM, said:snapback.png

Well, I don't see how that happens.  We could trade LeBron for AD.  Possible. 

Then, we'd have to TRADE FOR Kawhi or KD before the offseason or as a S&T with the young kids going out.

I think Toronto would be more amenable to a S&T than the warriors. Not to say the warriors would be totally against it. And the S&T would happen after the championship is over (I'm rooting for Toronto to win btw) but before free agency starts so we'd have the time and assets to make it happen. 

Then, we'd have to attract either Kawhi or KD in Free Agency.

AD + KD is good for Kawhi and AD + Kawhi is good for KD. I think either option is likely. If we have AD and one of the two, I think it's much more difficult for the other to want to sign with the Clippers or the Knicks. Granted a Kyrie + Kd + Porzingas in MSG sounds pretty nice too. But as far as setting ourselves up for future success? AD + Kawhi is the best. 

Further, before we make any S&T we'd most likely already have assurances from all parties. So if KD or Kawhi aren't on board, AD + Kawhi/KD + young core is better than anything else we might possible field - even with Lebron. ***Disclaimer*** I am currently assuming that Kawhi or KD want to join the Lakers with Lebron is LESS likely than if it was AD on the lakers. I think we can both agree on this. 

So if you want to discuss a hypothetical, sure.  I'd wager that Trading LeBron for Giannis instead of AD (not feasible), trading for Kawhi with the young kids (sign in free agency and pair with AD) and signing KD or Kyrie (sign in free agency and pair with AD with or without Kawhi or work a S&T) is better than your suggestion.

Yes, I agree. Giannis is amazing. But it's not the same situation. AD has been in the league for like 6?8? years now? The pelicans know he's hanging by a thread. Giannis came in as huge project player. AD was killing it from the beginning. They're not the same situation even if they are similar caliber players. The Bucks also got injury cap relief i think for like $10million (someone can tell me if i'm wrong here) so they're not even worried about Giannis demanding a trade. Even if he wanted out, he's under contract through the end of the 2020-21 season. and they have the cap flexibility to improve the team. AD is under contract until 2019-20 but he has a player option for 2020-21. So AD has the **leverage** to demand a trade which puts the Pelicans on the hot seat to make a move. So that's why i think we shouldn't discuss any trade for Giannis. Lebron for AD is a legitimate trade that can actually happen. Today. let that sink in too. We only balk at it because of the optics. It's a fair trade for both sides. they should give us a FRP lol.

Toronto absolutely will not trade kawhi even if he says he wants out. They have basically the best chance they've ever had to win a championship. They're not competing for five or ten championships. They just want to join the club like the mavs. Kawhi is only available via S&T or free agency. both of which we will have a better chance of achieving with AD on the lakers rather than lebron. 

Signing KD or Kyrie as a free agent is a great idea...except they're both more likely to sign with the lakers if AD is there instead of Lebron. Kyrie already left lebron once. KD and Lebron have a lot more history against each other; part of the reason he joined GSW was to beat Lebron. it's also why i don't think klay thompson will join lebron. would Klay thompson join AD + Kawhi? picture this - lonzo, thompson, kawhi, kuzma, AD (or AD at the four and mcgee at the five with kuzma off the bench or whatever). Trading lebron preserves our young core and our depth which we need if we want to be competitive both now and in the future. plus we can always trade those assets later on if needed.

But keeping LeBron instead of AD?  That's always going to be the top of my list.  Same as with Kobe, people might or might want to play with him because they know they will never have a chance to be top dog as long as he's here.  He IS the best.

I agree Lebron is better. I deleted this part of your message bc i didn't think it was relevant but now it is. You said that all you care about is getting more championships than boston ASAP. Trading lebron for AD will position us to put together a better team than we could with lebron. and it's true, some players don't want to play with lebron bc they can't be top dog with him here or they don't want to deal with the PR when we lose a game. But only Kobe was our ride or die. Not lebron. We were never moving past kobe. it was either we win with kobe or we sink with him. we don't owe lebron anything. we can thank him very much on his way out for making us relevant again and jump starting an era of dominance though. and for enabling us to get more championships than boston. we can remember him fondly for that. 

here are some examples 

2019-20 salary cap 109 million 2020-21 salary cap 118 million

2019-2020 salaries KD 38.5; Klay Thompson/Kyrie Irving/Kawhi Leonared 32.7; AD 27

https://www.hoopsrum...for-201920.html

AD (27) + Kawhi (33) + Young core (8.8 lonzo, 7.3 BI. 2 Hart, 2 Kuzma, 1.5 Svi, 2 Wagner = 23.6) + McGee/Chandler 1.5+1.5 =3 + Loul Deng 5 + 5 empty roster spots @ 0.875/spot =4.375  --->> total salary = 95.975. We'd be $13 million under the cap. if Kawhi's cap hold is 35 we're 11 under. enough money to sign a quality role player and we'd have our mid-level exception as well 

AD (27) + Kawhi (33) + Klay Thompson (33) + young core 23.6 +McGee/chandler 3 + Deng 5 + empty roster spots 4.375 --> 128.1 luxury tax cap is 132

but we can't sign kawhi and thompson via free agency if we're over the cap. so we need to do a S&T. There is a way to do a S&T that allows us to keep lonzo, hart and kuzma. we're discussing AD for Lebron and how viable it is so im not going to include those calculations. if anyone disagrees with me, please share *your* calculations. 

so AD + Kawhi + Thompson + Lonzo + Hart + Kuzma; calculating incomplete roster cap holds and renouncing impending free agents etc makes this calculation very close so just to keep it simple, say we also traded lonzo then it'd be AD + Kawhi + Thompson + hart + kuzma + whoever else we have to round it out. that's still better than Lebron + young core or Lebron + player acquired in trade via young core that's not kyrie/kawhi/kd/thompson + free agent that's not kd/kyrie/kawhi

AD (27) + Kawhi (33) + KD (39) + vet min + kuzma (2)+ hart (2) = 103 (lonzo and ingram gone bc of salary cap)

gets a little dicey with all the incomplete roster spots and the cap hold for impending free agents and dengs cap hold but i think its possible. even if its not; I think Thompson would be a better fit for a team with Kawhi and AD on it. Thompson is a lockdown defender at the 2 spot as far as i know. and he's super low maintenance. and 6 million cheaper. 

We can also substitute Kyrie in here as well. AD + Kyrie + Thompson anyone? AD + Kahwi + kyrie?? 

AD is like nine years younger than lebron and $11 million cheaper as well. 

So the best answer I can give you is your scenario is flawed because it does not account for the salary cap.  You can't keep the kids and have Kawhi (35M), KD (35-40M) and AD (25-27M).  Lonzo by himself will eat up the rest of the cap space (if not more).  And trading for or adding 3 top 10 players in 1 year?  That's insane, no insult meant.  If we start discussing those types of trades, we will never find a consensus because there will always be another fantasy trade that could 1-up that one.

I included the salary cap figures above. It does work. AD + Kawhi + KD would be the most difficult because we have to be under the salary cap to sign a free agent but even if we can't get KD, I think Thompson and Kyrie would be good alternatives. We can make an argument about Kyrie's knees. so maybe AD + Kawhi + Jimmy Butler ($33 million next year I believe). 

We can trade Lonzo in a S&T. We are not trading or adding 3 top ten players in one year. it'd be one season and the following offseason. I've laid out above how we can do it and it's all very reasonable. In my trade scenarios, I haven't made any crazy assumptions or anything that can impede this from happening except for trying to trade Lebron for AD. and I think this is a very good discussion because it's not fantasy. trying to assemble a team with lebron + ad + kawhi + KD + kyrie would be fantasy. 

#51 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,659 posts

Posted December 23, 2018 - 11:19 AM

I’m sorry but continuing to post about such an asinine idea as trading lebron is a waste of your time, so just quit it

You’re not coming up with some interesting idea, or some unknown idea, or some revelation

It’s really just ridiculous

Find another forum to post your lebron trades because not one person is going to remotely agree or see your side.

It’s like me trying to post about the sky being green, nobody is going to acknowledge something so inane
Posted Image

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,659 posts

Posted December 23, 2018 - 11:21 AM

Not to mention it’s just common sense, AD is signed to the agency lebrons best friend runs

What in God’s name makes you think trading lebron is the best way to acquire AD? Lol

You do realize ADs proposed interest is based on lebron right? The person that AD chose his number after right?

You do realize that AD is signed to klutch sports who are the people pushing for AD in LA and it’s based on lebron being there right?

Do you know any of this? Do you have the common sense to see that?
  • LACAS likes this
Posted Image

#53 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,441 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 23, 2018 - 11:48 AM

That's what that post is about? Too long to read in any thread.

#54 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,875 posts

Posted December 23, 2018 - 05:28 PM

Pelicans lose to the Kings.

Interesting comments made by KG today. Basically saying he told Anthony Davis he has to leave and the Lakers have to happen. Of all people, KG knows how loyalty can hurt you, and one of his biggest regrets is not leaving Sota soon enough.

I’ve said before that I don’t think NOLA trades him in-season, but this is picking up a lot of steam. And the Pelicans are worse than everyone anticipated. Would not surprise me to see something happen, but I figure that this is going to be a multi-step proccess that’s carefully calculated by RP and Klutch when the season finishes.

As much as everyone is pushing this LA thing, the only ones who control the situation are the Pelicans.

Edited by Massacre, December 23, 2018 - 05:29 PM.

• Adam likes this

#55 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,441 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 23, 2018 - 06:09 PM

AD has always had garbage wings in New Orleans but man this season is even worse somehow. Don't even know who these dudes are.

#56 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,410 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted December 23, 2018 - 06:56 PM

Lakers just gotta be smart about this.
  • LACAS likes this

#57 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,659 posts

Posted December 23, 2018 - 07:12 PM

You know what’s funny though is I feel like New Orleans would actually be better off trading Davis this season, because then they’ll be in the lottery, they’ll absolutely have a shot at Zion or RJ Barrett

It’s a good draft. Just my opinion

And then they bring on Ingram, hart and even more picks

With a guy like Randle they have a shot to get a massive head start on rebuilding

Hell if I’m the pelicans I say sure we’ll send you Davis well also send you jrue holiday just give us all of your expiring contracts and send us kuzma or ball

That’d be a huge win for them because they’d embrace the tank, get twoprospects and get all of their big contracts off the books
Posted Image

#58 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,002 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted December 23, 2018 - 11:30 PM

You know what’s funny though is I feel like New Orleans would actually be better off trading Davis this season, because then they’ll be in the lottery, they’ll absolutely have a shot at Zion or RJ Barrett
It’s a good draft. Just my opinion
And then they bring on Ingram, hart and even more picks
With a guy like Randle they have a shot to get a massive head start on rebuilding
Hell if I’m the pelicans I say sure we’ll send you Davis well also send you jrue holiday just give us all of your expiring contracts and send us kuzma or ball
That’d be a huge win for them because they’d embrace the tank, get twoprospects and get all of their big contracts off the books

And they'd take a hit financially when their fan base turns on them. The reason to hold on to him is to put butts in seats. That max gives them an advantage. You don't trade him until he declines the max. At his age, trading him to a Western conference team isn't the best idea either.

Edited by KidRN, December 23, 2018 - 11:30 PM.

#59 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,956 posts

Posted December 24, 2018 - 02:16 AM

Actually thought about it. It's likely NO says [expletive] you to LeBron and Klutch Sports for trying to strong arm and trade AD to a team in the EC. That way the Lakers possibly waste two years of Lebron's prime.

Edited by Jackson, December 24, 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#60 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,591 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 24, 2018 - 08:55 AM

Actually thought about it. It's likely NO says [expletive] you to LeBron and Klutch Sports for trying to strong arm and trade AD to a team in the EC. That way the Lakers possibly waste two years of Lebron's prime.

Waste?

Lebron is wasting his own prime. He didnt have to come here. Foh with that bull[expletive]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users