Anthony Davis Trade Discussion

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,419 posts

Posted December 19, 2018 - 07:53 AM

"That would be amazing," James told ESPN on Tuesday before the Lakers' 115-110 loss to the Brooklyn Nets, referring to the Lakers landing Davis through a trade. "That would be amazing, like, duh. That would be incredible."

No fire, no smoke.

*Wink* *Wink*

Let the speculations begin.

I really wish we held on to Randle. Ingram, Randle and some picks next year would be ...

fXlFKv8.gif

#2 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

@WeCarpeDiem

• 5,015 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted December 19, 2018 - 08:09 AM

wouldnt this be tampering by bron?

#3 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,365 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted December 19, 2018 - 10:02 AM

wouldnt this be tampering by bron?

He isn't the owner of the team or a GM, he can't tamper.

• GCMD likes this

#4 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,365 posts

Posted December 19, 2018 - 10:06 AM

No fire, no smoke.

*Wink* *Wink*

Let the speculations begin.

I really wish we held on to Randle. Ingram, Randle and some picks next year would be ...

If the Pelicans are going to let AD go, its going to be for a bunch of the young players the Lakers currently have, at least 3 and some picks and maybe even all 4.  Obviously, if you are the Lakers you trade anyone and everyone not named LeBron and go for it and don't look back, I just don't see it happening, too many moving parts, and it definitely won't be before he rejects the super max that is coming this summer.

#5 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 1,064 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 19, 2018 - 10:09 AM

He's going to the Celtics, unless Anthony tells them he wont so a sign and trade. 

• LACAS likes this

#6 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,401 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted December 19, 2018 - 11:49 AM

Celtics have to be the favorites...

If he wants to be a Laker he's going to have to wait it out or force his way to LA...

The Rich Paul thing is interesting being that he's both Bron's best friend and AD's agent.

• GCMD likes this

#7 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,504 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 19, 2018 - 12:37 PM

I'll never forget the day when I woke up @ 10:00 AM, went on ESPN and saw the picture of Pau Gasol smiling on the front page with a caption stating he's been traded to the Lakers. I hope to see that soon with Anthony Davis.

• Persian Gulf and LACAS like this

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,781 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 19, 2018 - 12:47 PM

He's going to the Celtics, unless Anthony tells them he wont so a sign and trade. 

I'm not sure he's going to the Celtics. Unless he specifically tells them that he wants to re-sign there they wont throw in Tatum for a 1yr rental. AND with Kyrie there they wont be able to trade for him this season either. They could offer Jaylen Brown and four non-lottery first round picks, though.

• LACAS likes this

#9 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,504 posts

Posted December 19, 2018 - 02:13 PM

I'm not sure he's going to the Celtics. Unless he specifically tells them that he wants to re-sign there they wont throw in Tatum for a 1yr rental. AND with Kyrie there they wont be able to trade for him this season either. They could offer Jaylen Brown and four non-lottery first round picks, though.

Celtics/Lakers are a wash for prime time players that want to win. As long as the team is in strong contention for a championship, that's all that matters.

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,545 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 19, 2018 - 03:35 PM

Everyone keeps making assumptions about where AD is going to go.  Neither the Lakers nor Celtics have the threat of free agency to sign him if they don't trade for him.  That's going to make his market so wide open for trade.  In the end they'll be betting against each other and there will always be darkhorse teams. 

With the way Zion Williamson looks as a prospect and someone that can put fans in the stands it's very likely whoever has the #1 pick has a great shot at AD. That's also assuming AD turns down a supermax contract.  

Teams like the Knicks, Bulls will make an offer for AD if they get the #1 pick.  

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 19, 2018 - 03:43 PM.

• 4Warner likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,665 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted December 19, 2018 - 03:38 PM

What if its a three-four team trade?

ap1.png

#12 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,663 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 19, 2018 - 03:44 PM

NOLA could also trade him to somewhere that's not his preferred destination. That's the trend we've seen with George and Leonard. 

• GCMD likes this

#13 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,665 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 19, 2018 - 04:08 PM

NOLA could also trade him to somewhere that's not his preferred destination. That's the trend we've seen with George and Leonard. 

I don't know why people are getting excited over a trade for a star/superstar assuming the other team will have no choice but to trade him to LA for the 3rd straight year.

Definition of Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#14 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,504 posts

Posted December 19, 2018 - 04:16 PM

Everyone keeps making assumptions about where AD is going to go.  Neither the Lakers nor Celtics have the threat of free agency to sign him if they don't trade for him.  That's going to make his market so wide open for trade.  In the end they'll be betting against each other and there will always be darkhorse teams. 

With the way Zion Williamson looks as a prospect and someone that can put fans in the stands it's very likely whoever has the #1 pick has a great shot at AD. That's also assuming AD turns down a supermax contract.  

But no team is gonna give up the #1 pick for him if he's not gonna commit to them. The team that has the #1 pick will likely be a bad team regardless and giving up that for a rental would be bad.

The team that can give up a good amount of assets to make NO happy and that can still compete for a championship will land AD.

Edited by Jackson, December 19, 2018 - 04:17 PM.

• GCMD likes this

#15 4Warner

4Warner

Rookie

• 32 posts
  • Name:D.Warner
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Bron

Posted December 19, 2018 - 05:05 PM

Good points... Zion will likely be a big name in the AD game this summer...

With AD being a Chicago kid I can see them making a big push for him as well. Markennen and/or Zach LaVine in some package with a Zion or RJ Barrett would be intriguing for New Orleans you'd think...Can you imagine the Zach and Zion dunkfest we'd see? lol Whoa!! Maybe the best small dunker ever and the best big dunker ever on one court? Fun...

Knicks may also be intriguing for AD. 

I would add this when we talk about guys deciding where they're gonna go. The city matters. A lot. LA is unlike any other city in the US for a lot of reasons, many of which are difficult to resist for attention seeking NBA basketball players. Boston just doesn't have the same luster. Never has. This is the reason why when we start to compare the number of Hall of Fame type free agents that these franchises have been able to attract, no franchise matches the Lake show. Not even Boston who has one more chip to their name... The weather is second to none and the story is about the Lakers all day. In town and nationally. So it's not a difficult sell. Philly, Boston, Chicago...All nice cities, but most guys woud just prefer the sun of California if given a preference. So LA is always in play. Was for Bron, will be for AD...

I don't know why people are getting excited over a trade for a star/superstar assuming the other team will have no choice but to trade him to LA for the 3rd straight year.

Definition of Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

What's crazy to me GCMD, is that if we really take notice, when we look at the discussion surrounding the NBA action on a day in and day out basis now, two topics are of concern to the talk show hosts and viewers it seems.

1. LeBron. Whether it's a win, loss, or what he was wearing, it's Bron all day. Ratings gold, because both his fans and his haters, which he has plenty of both, they're all tuning in...

And 2. Where AD will go. Or in general, where the best free agents will decide to take their talents. It's rarely about Giannis or Kawhi and their teams that are playing at historic levels.  Only a whisper that James Harden is averaging nearly 32 points per game. It's all about AD and speculation of where he'll land. Maybe it's about what KD will choose to do. But it's always this constant discussion of where a player who is already under contract will end up. It creates great debates but it seems like it would be a real cause of stress for the players, their teamates, GM's, agents, and everyone associated with the guy in question.

It's something that has really changed over the decades. Never did we speculate that Rodman would be joining the Bulls to help Jordan. It just happened quietly. Wilt was orchestrating his way to LA a year in advance but it was done in a quiet fashion without the speculation. Bill Walton joined another MVP in Larry Bird on the sneak tip and it just went down...Same with the huge signing of Moses Malone to Philly in 82' for the '83 season. Huge trades all went down with little to no fanfare or speculation from writers and millions of fans. And now the possible destination of player A who plays for such and such is all we wanna talk about...Real change. Not sure it's real healthy though...

• GCMD likes this

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,545 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 19, 2018 - 05:47 PM

What teams are those?  We don't know what NO wants to do or what players they want.  Everyone keeps ASSUMING things about players and teams.  

The team that AD goes to doesn't have to be ready to win.  The reason you trade for a star player, especially a top 5 type guy is that HE makes your team a contender.  The threat of big market teams like LA and Boston as free agency destination won't apply for AD b/c neither will have cap space sign him outright.  Therefore that widens his trade market by a good margin.  

Does LA want to get into a trade bidding war? Im not so sure.  Im not buying flipping 3 good young players is worth AD b/c the league is becoming more wing orientated and multiskilled as a whole.  High usage bigs aren't nearly as effective as dynamic wings in the playoffs.  AD and an aging Lebron with no capacity to get better if they dont get KD in that process turns into an underwhelming situation very quickly w/o DEPTH.  

Top heavy teams are not going to last in the NBA going forward.  I love AD but the Pelicans have a good roster and are barely 500...that's not all on him but it does make you question how great of an impact does he have on winning ALONE.  The other question mark is how effective of a player is AD with Lebron? 

AD can occasionally hit 3s but he's not a guy you run plays to get 3s for.  Him and Bron can run an effective 2 man game at times but how predictable will that become?  I try not to overthink these things but a lot of times I think fans don't think enough about these details b/c they think star power solves everything.  Yes, maybe 3-4 years ago but things have changed VERY quickly in the NBA. 

But no team is gonna give up the #1 pick for him if he's not gonna commit to them. The team that has the #1 pick will likely be a bad team regardless and giving up that for a rental would be bad.

The team that can give up a good amount of assets to make NO happy and that can still compete for a championship will land AD.

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 19, 2018 - 05:49 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#17 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,781 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 19, 2018 - 08:44 PM

So going after a max player in free agency didn't work? As i recall we did sign a pretty good point forward this past summer.

#18 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,665 posts

Posted December 19, 2018 - 11:13 PM

So going after a max player in free agency didn't work? As i recall we did sign a pretty good point forward this past summer.

Please don't mischaracterize what I said with a complete strawman argument.

Of course we should try to land a Free Agent in the summer.  I never said we shouldn't.

I pointed out the continued futility of a certain course of action:  trying to force a team to trade their best player to us 3 years in a row.  It didn't work with PG13 (to OKC)...didn't work with Kawhi (to TOR)...there is NOTHING to suggest it's going to happen with a top 5-7 player IN CONFERENCE for a bunch of young players, NONE OF WHOM have Franchise Player potential...some BARELY have AllStar Potential!

Doesn't make sense to me.

But you don't have to listen to me.  When this summer comes, if AD requests a trade, there will be people who are ADAMANT about not moving Kuzma or Ingram...they will say we have ALL the leverage and NOP will have to trade with us.  After NOP trades AD elsewhere, they will say we can get him in Free Agency so we SHOULDN'T have traded the youth for him.

Same *stuff*, different year.   Like I said, INSANITY.

Edited by GCMD, December 19, 2018 - 11:15 PM.

• bfc1125roy and KidRN like this

#19 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,365 posts

Posted December 20, 2018 - 12:33 AM

That actually isn’t the definition of insanity, it’s a cool saying that somebody came up with one time and everyone just ran with it. :)
  • GCMD and Adam like this

#20 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,665 posts

Posted December 20, 2018 - 01:21 AM

That actually isn’t the definition of insanity, it’s a cool saying that somebody came up with one time and everyone just ran with it. :)

If you've ever had to treat or counsel a person who is considered mentally insane, you would know it sums it up exquisitely.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users