57 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 10, 2018 - 01:31 PM

Tobias is a max player for a poverty franchise like the Clippers...LA has no business paying a dude  like that a max deal with players like Kuz that give a lot of what he gives to the team

Kawhi - come to LA, be the main guy, difference maker on a team that's never gotten past 2nd R.

Durant - same as above, plus he can completely shift the narrative that he's a snake who "joined a winning team"

Tobias too, plus another max player.

• LakeShow1o1 and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 10, 2018 - 06:49 PM

Tobias is a max player for a poverty franchise like the Clippers...LA has no business paying a dude  like that a max deal with players like Kuz that give a lot of what he gives to the team

Not sure what you mean by "poverty franchise."  Lakers may actually compete for his services.

#43 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,534 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 10, 2018 - 07:34 PM

I think he was finishing the LAC player list which would explain why a guy like KD or Kawhi would go to LAC...plus another max slot.  As it stands, LAC only has around $47M on the books.  With a move or 2, they could have 2 max slots.

#44 4Warner

4Warner

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Name:D.Warner
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Bron

Posted December 10, 2018 - 08:06 PM

Okc and Wash have no cap space to sign Kd

Nope they don't, they are who they are unless they start moving pieces.

True. They're strappped financially. 2nd highest payroll in the league as it stands. The salary cap will raise by 20 million next year to give them some tax relief, and I always believe that regardless of cash constraints, teams and individuals make the moves they want to make. They find a way to get things done.

Wouldn't shock me if KD was at a point where he said I'll take 5 million or so less, like a lot of these NFL QB's are doing, and try to see if it doesn't lead to something special. He has a little more at stake than your average superstar free agent I'd say, so it makes him even less predictable.

I will admit this. I rarely call it right as to where these guys are going! I thought Bron was staying in Cleveland the first time and Miami the second. So it's all broad speculation when it comes to what free agents will do. But it is fun speculating...

Tobias too, plus another max player.

Tobias is getting a nice contract. And earning it honestly. But I don't think he's maxed out. Think he's at 14.8 this season and last I heard he rejected an offer for 80 million. He was seeking the 188m deal for 5 but I hadn't heard if he was successful already or not. Anyone know?

Tobias may not deserve a max but the guy's a pro's pro. He's super solid and doesn't need the ball much to be effective. Looks like a mature dude who a franchise would never need to cater to or worry about. So while maybe he's not worth 30 or 40 million per year, seeing him get 25 to 30  would be a pretty good fit for most teams...

• GCMD likes this

#45 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,273 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted December 11, 2018 - 10:29 AM

True. They're strappped financially. 2nd highest payroll in the league as it stands. The salary cap will raise by 20 million next year to give them some tax relief, and I always believe that regardless of cash constraints, teams and individuals make the moves they want to make. They find a way to get things done.

Wouldn't shock me if KD was at a point where he said I'll take 5 million or so less, like a lot of these NFL QB's are doing, and try to see if it doesn't lead to something special. He has a little more at stake than your average superstar free agent I'd say, so it makes him even less predictable.

I will admit this. I rarely call it right as to where these guys are going! I thought Bron was staying in Cleveland the first time and Miami the second. So it's all broad speculation when it comes to what free agents will do. But it is fun speculating...

Tobias is getting a nice contract. And earning it honestly. But I don't think he's maxed out. Think he's at 14.8 this season and last I heard he rejected an offer for 80 million. He was seeking the 188m deal for 5 but I hadn't heard if he was successful already or not. Anyone know?

Tobias may not deserve a max but the guy's a pro's pro. He's super solid and doesn't need the ball much to be effective. Looks like a mature dude who a franchise would never need to cater to or worry about. So while maybe he's not worth 30 or 40 million per year, seeing him get 25 to 30 would be a pretty good fit for most teams...

Bruh KD isnt taking 5 mill to play with Was. Plus i haven't check but i dont think the cap is going up 20 mill next year.

#46 4Warner

4Warner

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Name:D.Warner
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Bron

Posted December 11, 2018 - 11:05 AM

Bruh KD isnt taking 5 mill to play with Was. Plus i haven't check but i dont think the cap is going up 20 mill next year.

No doubt. But I don't think anybody inferred he would...I said he may take 5 million LESS in consideration of team building. Meaning, instead of taking the entire 40 million per year he'll likely have coming, he may opt to only take like 35 in the early years of the deal to allow his new team a little more flexibiity to sign pieces next to him. No 40 million dollar man is gonna take 5 million, but if money isn't everything to them, they may take 35 wouldn't they?

As for the projected salary cap rise, you're right, it's not 20 mil next year, it's about an increase of 16 or 18m over the next two years.

We're currenty at 101m, next year will be 109 mil, and in '21 it will be 118m...

#47 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,744 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 11, 2018 - 10:10 PM

http://www.espn.com/...evin-durant-nba

Clippers are going after Kawhi and KD next summer and they could get them both, which would suck.

#48 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,534 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 03:26 AM

Clippers are going after Kawhi and KD next summer and they could get them both, which would suck.

We had a chance at Kawhi...we whiffed.

KD was always a long shot.

AD is another pipe dream.

I keep suggesting going after an attack guard or even Klay.

Lonzo

???

LeBron

Kuzma

McGee/Chandler

I think we're good with those guys.   Would be a lot easier to stop chasing more wings and try to find another natural scorer.

• 4Warner likes this

#49 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,744 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 07:31 AM

Lonzo

???

LeBron

Kuzma

McGee/Chandler

I think we're good with those guys.   Would be a lot easier to stop chasing more wings and try to find another natural scorer.

We might have had a chance at Kawhi. We dont know.

KD and KL is hardly a done deal and there's a good chance we get one of them in the summer.

#50 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 08:20 AM

You continue to say this even though like 2-3 reports out there from credible people have proven this was false...but if it makes you feel better about your stance on the players on the team continue to do so. 

Lonzo

???

LeBron

Kuzma

McGee/Chandler

• lakerfan98 likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#51 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 08:21 AM

But they aren't getting both.  It's one of the stupid reports that doesnt really say anything other than the Clippers want to make it happen lol.  With the way Toronto is playing I dont see how Kawhi leaves.  That team is set up to be good for the next few years AND pay him the most money.  The Clippers are a poverty franchise that came out early this year and will fizzle out soon.  

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 12, 2018 - 08:22 AM.

• 4Warner likes this

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,116 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 11:26 AM

Weren’t all the reporters saying 2 weeks ago that KD was going to be a laker

And then his interview came out

I don’t buy any of it, I’ve started to kind of just ignore these things, lakers are 17-10, which is awesome, best we’ve been since what 2011? When it was still kobe, Lamar, gasol

I’m enjoying it, I’ll let magic and pelinka handle the behind the scenes stuff
Posted Image

#53 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 11:59 AM

But they aren't getting both. It's one of the stupid reports that doesnt really say anything other than the Clippers want to make it happen lol. With the way Toronto is playing I dont see how Kawhi leaves. That team is set up to be good for the next few years AND pay him the most money. The Clippers are a poverty franchise that came out early this year and will fizzle out soon.

Cris Carter (who has good word on this matter) is still saying Kawhi wants to be in LA. Who knows.

#54 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,206 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted December 12, 2018 - 12:04 PM

Dream scenario we sign KD as a free agent giving Golden State nothing and then Kawhi demands a trade to the Lakers and we work out a sign and trade with Toronto for some of our young players. Sorry AD no more room lol

#55 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,534 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 05:15 PM

We might have had a chance at Kawhi. We dont know.

KD and KL is hardly a done deal and there's a good chance we get one of them in the summer.

Agree to disagree.

You continue to say this even though like 2-3 reports out there from credible people have proven this was false...but if it makes you feel better about your stance on the players on the team continue to do so. 

If you don't mind, I'd like to peruse these 2-3 reports.  I must have missed this definitive statement from Kawhi or The Spurs.  If you're speaking of someone's opinion, there are at least 10 reports that said LA could have had Kawhi for the right deal. 

Whether you agree with the deal we could have made is immaterial to the statement being discussed - I said we could have had Kawhi.  Please don't shift the argument to anything else.

But they aren't getting both.  It's one of the stupid reports that doesnt really say anything other than the Clippers want to make it happen lol.  With the way Toronto is playing I dont see how Kawhi leaves.  That team is set up to be good for the next few years AND pay him the most money.  The Clippers are a poverty franchise that came out early this year and will fizzle out soon.  

SA Spurs could have paid him more money and was a playoff team WITHOUT him.  They were perennial contenders and had GSW on the ropes before Kawhi was injured 2 years ago in the playoffs.  If Those things were most important, wouldn't Kawhi have stayed with the Spurs?

It's my contention that no one knows what Kawhi wants to do or why he's making these decisions.  All we know is Kawhi has said he wants to get to LA.  Until he sends a different signal directly or indirectly, I would caution against extrapolating based on what the average player/person would do or want.  Doesn't seem to apply in this situation.

Edited by GCMD, December 12, 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#56 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,744 posts

Posted December 12, 2018 - 08:45 PM

They could, though. Let everyone walk, stretch Gallo and waive Gortat.

That's close to 70M in cap space with Shai, Montrezl, Lou, Jerome Robinson and Jawun Evans. Wouldn't be a bad fit either.

But the Lakers is just a much better landing spot for either of them because they have the assets to trade for the third guy as well as young guys that will improve. Also, Lebron wont be the best player in the league forever. If Kawhi signs with LAL he'd fit perfectly as a third switchy 2/3/4 along with Kuz and Lebron and Kawhi would be the best player in a season or so and in a perfect position to prolong his own career - especially if we trade for AD as well.

#57 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 799 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:LeBron James :)

Posted December 12, 2018 - 10:21 PM

Durant also likes his own posts with his secret burner accounts....so there’s that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#58 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 AM

Suppose TOR whiffs in the playoffs?  Or suppose they just don't win the Chip?  You still think Kawhi is going to look back at the regular season and say WOW, that was such an awesome regular season, I want to stay in TORONTO!  

Not sure what you mean by "poverty franchise."  They have Jerry West,and  the richest Owner (Ballmer) in all of sports, and he is no cheapskate. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users