19 replies to this topic

#1 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 30, 2018 - 05:59 PM

So now that he doesn't have Kawhi or Tim Duncan, where is this Greg Popovich system and culture?  Seems that he took a big hit last season with Kawhi deciding he wants OUT.  That was not a good look for Popovich, the genius culture guy who always picks up the tab for everyone at dinner (BFD, right?).  

Was he really that much of a genius Coach?  

Maybe he got too much credit?

Even if they bounce back against HOU tonight, Spurs are at .500 

They're done in the 1st round if they manage to squeeze into the playoffs.

#2 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 1,063 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted December 01, 2018 - 05:07 PM

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Hell yes

He made the playoffs without Kawhi and he will absolutely make the playoffs again. What will happen in the playoffs when they get there, we shall see.

#3 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 02, 2018 - 09:02 AM

If you want take something away from Pop because he can't win without great players, it's a standard you would need to apply to other great coaches as well. Phil couldn't win without great players either. The NBA is a superstar driven league, always has been. 

• lakerfan98 likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#4 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 02, 2018 - 05:48 PM

He made the playoffs without Kawhi and he will absolutely make the playoffs again. What will happen in the playoffs when they get there, we shall see.

I assume you're referring to last year, when Spurs made the playoffs and lost 4-1 in the First Round.  

@kray28, Phil Jackson also failed as Knicks GM.   A great coach is one who gets more than you would expect out of his players.  

#5 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,211 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 03, 2018 - 11:03 AM

Exactly you have to apply it to all coaches. In football you can have a guy like Belichek win 11 games with Matt Cassell but in basketball if you want to be a hof/legendary coach you need hof/legendary players. Riley, Phil, Pop don't win jack without Magic, Kareem, MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe.
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#6 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 04, 2018 - 12:44 AM

If you want take something away from Pop because he can't win without great players, it's a standard you would need to apply to other great coaches as well. 

It's not just that Pops can't win without Kawhi, it's that he actually scared him away (it seems).  So now that Kawhi is with Toronto, is Toronto's Coach a legend?  You guys are basically saying that a great coach is defined by having great players on his team?

#7 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,211 posts

Posted December 04, 2018 - 02:09 PM

Well let's not hold Kawhai blameless here lol.

Coaching def makes a difference. A great coach will take a team over the top whereas a bad coach will hold back the same talent on the team. Doug Collins and Del Harris vs Phil for example. Coaching matters but in the NBA talent trumps all. Ty Lue has a ring as a coach. Avery Johnson vs Rick Carlisle. Scott Brooks held the Thunder back imo. List goes on and on.

Edited by lakerfan98, December 04, 2018 - 02:14 PM.

• kray28 likes this

#8 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,211 posts

Posted December 04, 2018 - 02:15 PM

And to answer the question Pop is a legendary coach and always will be, period.
  • kray28 likes this

#9 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 12:57 PM

Well let's not hold Kawhai blameless here lol.

Coaching def makes a difference. A great coach will take a team over the top whereas a bad coach will hold back the same talent on the team. Doug Collins and Del Harris vs Phil for example. Coaching matters but in the NBA talent trumps all. Ty Lue has a ring as a coach. Avery Johnson vs Rick Carlisle. Scott Brooks held the Thunder back imo. List goes on and on.

As you said, it's a STAR driven league.  Coach who can't retain a STAR is not really a good coach.  Give me one good piece of evidence that Pops is a great coach this year.  His club has a better record than only ONE other team in the West, the Phoenix Suns.  

#10 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,211 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 01:13 PM

As you said, it's a STAR driven league. Coach who can't retain a STAR is not really a good coach. Give me one good piece of evidence that Pops is a great coach this year. His club has a better record than only ONE other team in the West, the Phoenix Suns.

Bruh.....what? Human beings have free will.

Edited by lakerfan98, December 06, 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#11 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 1,063 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted December 06, 2018 - 06:41 PM

He's already made up his mind

#12 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 11:28 PM

As you said, it's a STAR driven league.  Coach who can't retain a STAR is not really a good coach.  Give me one good piece of evidence that Pops is a great coach this year.  His club has a better record than only ONE other team in the West, the Phoenix Suns.  

So what's the evidence that Pops is a good coach this year?   Of course players can leave, just as players have free will not to play hard.  Shouldn't a "great coach" be able to retain great players, get them to play hard?  

It's funny that you can't name a single reason why Pops is even a "good" Coach this year.  Never mind great or legendary.

Edited by BigBaller, December 06, 2018 - 11:29 PM.

#13 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 11:32 PM

You think Spurs are making the playoffs this year?   I don't.

#14 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,211 posts

Posted December 07, 2018 - 12:15 PM

So what is your criteria for being a great coach? If Pop isn't who is?

#15 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 08, 2018 - 10:13 AM

So what is your criteria for being a great coach? If Pop isn't who is?

Wait.  I want to hear any reason why you think Pops is a great coach this year.  

I think a great Coach has the ability to keep a team together, retain great players (like Kawhi).  We know that Kawhi was not impressed by Popovich.

#16 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,211 posts

Posted December 08, 2018 - 11:30 AM

Off the top of my head they beat us 2 out of 3 times haha. No Murray or Gasol. I mean DeRozan and Patty Mills are their best playmakers. If the Spurs get a 7-8 seed this year in this western conference that should be lauded not criticized.

Maybe when Kawhi left Pop should have quit like Phil, then he'd still be a great coach lol.

Edited by lakerfan98, December 08, 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#17 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 4,211 posts

Posted December 08, 2018 - 11:31 AM

Anyway I believe I've entertained this madness long enough. Troll on sir. Might I recommend a Spurs board or a bigger (read as dumber) Laker board.

Edited by lakerfan98, December 08, 2018 - 11:48 AM.

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,283 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 08, 2018 - 02:32 PM

Popovich is an aging legend
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#19 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted December 09, 2018 - 03:45 PM

Anyway I believe I've entertained this madness long enough. Troll on sir. Might I recommend a Spurs board or a bigger (read as dumber) Laker board.

Hey troll.  Nobody is twisting your arm to respond to this thread in "NBA Talk."    Not my problem that you're on Pops' jock, and you can't identify a single reason why he's even a "good" coach this year.  Have a good day, kid.

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 13, 2018 - 10:39 AM

I don't like how Pop is fawned over but he's been a great coach his entire career.  The man is 70 and what almost 30 decades in the league deep?  The question is kinda silly tbh.  

I believe that there are coaches out there just as great that weren't as blessed to have the players around them to do what Pop and the Spurs were able to accomplish.  Rick Carlisle comes to mind.  

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 13, 2018 - 10:40 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users