57 replies to this topic

#21 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,215 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 24, 2018 - 05:28 PM

Lance is more active but I’m not underestimating Ju!! He’s a beast but would vlog the middle since he only shotsperimeter in practice, lol and he was decent too! Turn da page let’s get on a ten game winning streak!

#22 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 1,109 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 24, 2018 - 07:56 PM

They wouldn’t because without the DLO trade we don’t get Lebron

#23 Martin Boyd

Martin Boyd

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Name:Martin Boyd
  • Fan Since:1977
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted November 26, 2018 - 08:59 PM

We definitely miss Randall's hustle and energy. He would be great with this unit. It was time to part ways with Russell. Way overrated

#24 manaro90

manaro90

All-Star

• 5,637 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 29, 2018 - 12:10 AM

gosh i miss randle...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#25 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,534 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 29, 2018 - 05:01 PM

I know his case is similar to Fox's with the Kings, as they both have teams playing to their strengths. But he's quietly having a season that justifies picking him 2nd in the draft. But I wonder how he would've done next to LeBron and better players vs. what he had when he was here.

Fox has a ceiling that I predict he will hit soon.  I'm cool with passing on him.

D-Lo wasn't worth the #2 pick...quite obvious in year 2.   Russell has issues (D, Speed, Athleticism) that lowers his ceiling.  He would have been a bad fit next to Lonzo and LeBron...

I'd have loved to see Randle next to LeBron.  Would have meant trading Ingram (and others) to make room...I was cool with that.  I like Kuzma...at his best, he's a great scorer too.

We're fine right now.  We need a scoring 2 (fast twitch).  Other than that, I have no regrets.

• fido and LACAS like this

#26 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,819 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 30, 2018 - 07:11 AM

Fox has a ceiling that I predict he will hit soon. I'm cool with passing on him.

D-Lo wasn't worth the #2 pick...quite obvious in year 2. Russell has issues (D, Speed, Athleticism) that lowers his ceiling. He would have been a bad fit next to Lonzo and LeBron...

I'd have loved to see Randle next to LeBron. Would have meant trading Ingram (and others) to make room...I was cool with that. I like Kuzma...at his best, he's a great scorer too.

We're fine right now. We need a scoring 2 (fast twitch). Other than that, I have no regrets.

I never understood the Russell pick. He was an obvious role player type that needed to play next to an elite shot creator.

At the time of that pick, that isn't what we needed. He'd be ok next to Bron but the trade we used him in was fine.

Fox is a player that you have to build around. The question is will he ever be good enough to be given that franchise player role. After watching Westbrook's career, I think that Fox isn't the answer in today's nba. However, I say the same about Ball.

Edited by KidRN, November 30, 2018 - 07:14 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,116 posts

Posted November 30, 2018 - 10:22 PM

If it was possible it would’ve been interesting to see Randle next to lebron, but our spacing is already an issue, that probably makes it worse

You could have a sniper at SG but you’d still have McGee, Randle, and ball all in the starting 5
Posted Image

#28 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,534 posts

Posted November 30, 2018 - 10:29 PM

If it was possible it would’ve been interesting to see Randle next to lebron, but our spacing is already an issue, that probably makes it worse

You could have a sniper at SG but you’d still have McGee, Randle, and ball all in the starting 5

Spacing will be an issue with any team Randle is on but Randle would have given a legit post option without banging LeBron up.  As long as Randle committed to setting hard screens, he would have been fine next to LeBron.  Last year, Randle went back to being a finisher.  We need more of those right now.

#29 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,223 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 03, 2018 - 05:54 PM

Russell was and will continue to be a joke.  Easy to spot his deficiencies and future from day one.

Who knows how Randle would've fared?  I'm fine with letting him go.  He gets a chance to shine elsewhere when he may have been buried here.  No big whoop.

• GCMD and Jody Smokes like this

#30 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 04, 2018 - 02:27 PM

For sure but is that a role a 23 year old looking for a pay day and a chance to shine wants?  I think that goes overlooked here.  They essentially swapped Bron for Randle on this team.  Im not even sure how Randle and Lebron on the same floor works b/c a lot of things Randle is good at and likes to do Bron does 10x better.  

Randle operates out of the post like Lebron does but what is Bron doing when Randle is posting up?  We know Randle has no value if Bron is posted up.  

Spacing will be an issue with any team Randle is on but Randle would have given a legit post option without banging LeBron up.  As long as Randle committed to setting hard screens, he would have been fine next to LeBron.  Last year, Randle went back to being a finisher.  We need more of those right now.

• fido likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#31 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,964 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 04, 2018 - 03:47 PM

I was a huge advocate of Russell and thought he'd have the tools to become a pretty lethal scorer.  Fortunately he hasn't reached expectations and has fallen pretty short, so the trade for Kuzma/Hart and salary dump of Mozgov has panned out very well for us.  Russell is in an ideal scenario for himself.  Big city, extremely low expectations, and the oppurunity to be the center of a franchise.  Net's won't go anywhere for awhile, but hopefully he can stay healthy as that's been one of his issues since being traded.

As for Randle, it's a tough call.  He never convinced me that he'd be a center piece moving forward, but he did show signs of altering his game last season for the better.  I was fine with letting him go and assumed that both the relationship with Randle and especially his agent, simply wasn't salvageable.  He's been performing extremely well off the bench for the Pels this season and has even shown a bit of range.  I still don't think he would have faired well next to Lebron, but off the bench, he'd have been pretty ideal as the 5 in a small-ball lineup.

Regardless, I wish both players nothing but the best.  Clarkson included, as that trio was really the beginning of the youth movement but ironically also the end of a very forgettable era of Laker basketball.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, December 04, 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#32 manaro90

manaro90

All-Star

• 5,637 posts

Posted December 04, 2018 - 09:57 PM

I was a huge advocate of Russell and thought he'd have the tools to become a pretty lethal scorer.  Fortunately he hasn't reached expectations and has fallen pretty short, so the trade for Kuzma/Hart and salary dump of Mozgov has panned out very well for us.  Russell is in an ideal scenario for himself.  Big city, extremely low expectations, and the oppurunity to be the center of a franchise.  Net's won't go anywhere for awhile, but hopefully he can stay healthy as that's been one of his issues since being traded.

As for Randle, it's a tough call.  He never convinced me that he'd be a center piece moving forward, but he did show signs of altering his game last season for the better.  I was fine with letting him go and assumed that both the relationship with Randle and especially his agent, simply wasn't salvageable.  He's been performing extremely well off the bench for the Pels this season and has even shown a bit of range.  I still don't think he would have faired well next to Lebron, but off the bench, he'd have been pretty ideal as the 5 in a small-ball lineup.

Regardless, I wish both players nothing but the best.  Clarkson included, as that trio was really the beginning of the youth movement but ironically also the end of a very forgettable era of Laker basketball.

well written my dear

#33 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,140 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2018 - 07:41 AM

If you could make prototypes of the exact players that the Lakers would not want on their team, I think you would come pretty close with both Russell and Randle.  Russell is a score first point guard that doesn't defend and is a point guard in name only, and also a cancer in the locker room.  He can score, but he gives up a ton of points as well.  Randle literally would not be able to play on the floor at the same time as the entire focal point of the Lakers offense due to spacing issues.  The Lakers also have a guy that does literally everything that Randle can do but 10 times better and can shoot from 4 feet behind the 3 point line and hit consistently, pass, play point guard, defend when he feels like it, and also happens to be the best player in the NBA and plays in every game of every season for over 30 minutes.  If someone could make a case for Randle on this team, I'd love to hear it.

#34 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,204 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 05, 2018 - 08:56 AM

We traded Russell and Lou Williams and got Kuzma, Hart, and cap space. Randle didn't work out for a variety of reasons and was replaced by LeBron via free agency.

#35 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,204 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 05, 2018 - 09:12 AM

Sometimes as fans we think about what ifs. Maybe we never waste cap space on Mozgov and Deng in the first place. Maybe we never leapfrog the Knicks and we end up with Porzingis at #4 and they end up with Russell at #2. Maybe instead we jump up a spot the following year at get Ben Simmons. When your team sucks is just as important as how much they suck lol. Having the #2 pick 3 years in a row and not coming out with a bonafide star kinda stinks. In retrospect 4, 1, 3 could have been drastically different than 2, 2, 2 but hey that's the lottery for you.

For me Russell and Randle don't fall into this category. Like I said we basically swapped Russell, Lou Williams, and Randle for Kuzma, Hart, and LeBron so I don't trip over it.
  • LACAS likes this

#36 manaro90

manaro90

All-Star

• 5,637 posts

Posted December 05, 2018 - 09:35 AM

russel had his chance and he snitched on it.. lol (see the allusion?)

randle had his chance and got snitched by the gms

hahaah im so good

#37 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,534 posts

Posted December 05, 2018 - 09:01 PM

For sure but is that a role a 23 year old looking for a pay day and a chance to shine wants?  I think that goes overlooked here.  They essentially swapped Bron for Randle on this team.  Im not even sure how Randle and Lebron on the same floor works b/c a lot of things Randle is good at and likes to do Bron does 10x better.  

Randle operates out of the post like Lebron does but what is Bron doing when Randle is posting up?  We know Randle has no value if Bron is posted up.  

Randle sets a screen for LeBron and you have to pick LeBron or Randle downhill...that's a literal pick your poison scenario.

But it's debatable how Randle would have fit.  I can envision Randle and LeBron working out fine but Randle would have to be UK Randle not "fake Draymond" Randle.

#38 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted December 05, 2018 - 10:46 PM

Randle would have been great because we need more bully ball type players on this team. D-Lo - glad he's gone. Talented offensively, but his impact is easily replaced. 

• GCMD likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#39 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 07, 2018 - 07:17 AM

Bro you say this as if Randle was a great screen setter to begin with, which he wasn't and was up and down in effort in that area.  Randle wants to be a core piece not a guy that's setting good screens and rolling to the rim. 

Randle views himself as a dynamic player.  There is no place in LA for him to be that.  NOP he has a role that suits him AND the team.  

Randle sets a screen for LeBron and you have to pick LeBron or Randle downhill...that's a literal pick your poison scenario.

But it's debatable how Randle would have fit.  I can envision Randle and LeBron working out fine but Randle would have to be UK Randle not "fake Draymond" Randle.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#40 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,289 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted December 07, 2018 - 08:22 AM

Randle views himself as a dynamic player.  There is no place in LA for him to be that.  NOP he has a role that suits him AND the team.  

This is true.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users