Photo

How would've D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle Fit with the Current Lakers

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 20, 2018 - 03:41 PM

I know his case is similar to Fox's with the Kings, as they both have teams playing to their strengths. But he's quietly having a season that justifies picking him 2nd in the draft. But I wonder how he would've done next to LeBron and better players vs. what he had when he was here.

Edited by Jackson, November 20, 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#2 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,116 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 03:45 PM

What? I didn’t know shooting 42% and averaging 17ppg would be considered living up to a #2 pick

He’s just having a quiet season

Fox is averaging more points and assists shooting at a MUCH higher percentage

Not remotely the same
Posted Image

#3 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 03:51 PM

What? I didn’t know shooting 42% and averaging 17ppg would be considered living up to a #2 pick

He’s just having a quiet season

Fox is averaging more points and assists shooting at a MUCH higher percentage

Not remotely the same

I'm not saying he's performing better than Fox, wtf. I'm saying he's in a similar situation. 42% and 17ppg is also better than 38% and 7.8ppg.

Anyways, this is not a D-Lo vs a player thread. I'm wondering about peoples opinions about how he would've fit on this current team.

#4 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 03:53 PM

Grass is greener syndrome.

As a Russell supporter, he’s minimally improved since entering the league. He’s putting up 17 on 15 shots and his defense is still suspect. He’s not a 1, and Caldwell-Pope (if he has indeed come around) and Hart are better for this team at the 2.

He’s good in BK, he needs that offensive freedom.
  • Jody Smokes, ChichoGarcy and LACAS like this

#5 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 03:56 PM

The only guy we’ve given up on that I truly miss is Randle. I’ll stand by my opinion that the coaching staff and front office simply undervalued him and it showed with their treatment of him. No reason for him to not be a 6MOY candidate on this team and play some small ball 5. He’s doing in NOLA exactly what we’d need here, but the relationship was damaged and he wasn’t taking a 1-year deal here only to go through the same thing.

Edited by Massacre, November 20, 2018 - 03:56 PM.

• Persian Gulf, manaro90, MambaMentality and 2 others like this

#6 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 20, 2018 - 04:04 PM

truth. sucks to see the kid balling out on a rival team.

The only guy we’ve given up on that I truly miss is Randle. I’ll stand by my opinion that the coaching staff and front office simply undervalued him and it showed with their treatment of him. No reason for him to not be a 6MOY candidate on this team and play some small ball 5. He’s doing in NOLA exactly what we’d need here, but the relationship was damaged and he wasn’t taking a 1-year deal here only to go through the same thing.

#7 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,289 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted November 20, 2018 - 04:15 PM

Who?

#8 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 04:23 PM

That's a good point. Edited the thread title to discuss Randle as well.

#9 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 04:39 PM

Randle’s situation had a lot of IF’s, so it’s definitely not as cut and dry as even I made it seem, but that situation could’ve been handled better from the jump. He’s still looking for a pay day too, one that the Lakers probably decided he wasn’t worth. His fit with AD and Miro is also seamless and perfect...I believe someone on here said Randle would thrive alongside a KP or AD type of big, and he is.

#10 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts

Posted November 20, 2018 - 04:43 PM

Randle’s situation had a lot of IF’s, so it’s definitely not as cut and dry as even I made it seem, but that situation could’ve been handled better from the jump. He’s still looking for a pay day too, one that the Lakers probably decided he wasn’t worth. His fit with AD and Miro is also seamless and perfect...I believe someone on here said Randle would thrive alongside a KP or AD type of big, and he is.

There's actually a couple of things the FO screwed up on. Giving KCP another year, and letting Brooke go for pennies as well. So hindsight is not really a factor here. They really do have all their eggs in one basket.

Edited by Jackson, November 20, 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#11 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 940 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 20, 2018 - 04:54 PM

Lonzo will never sniff 14 ppg

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 20, 2018 - 05:01 PM

I agree that he was undervalued but at the same time once Lebron signed on his role was going to take a huge hit anyway.  Julius unlike Ball NEED touches to impact the game and with Bron or any other high usage star touches are going to be extremely limited to guys that need to get their own offense to feel involved. 

Would Julius be cool with getting 20mpg off the bench on this team with this many guys that can eat?  Would he be as engaged on defense?  

His stats look great in NO but he's being used a lot more and is basically doing what he was asked to do in LA early in the season.  Difference is he isnt pouting about it.  He's playing himself into a good contract.  

• Massacre likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,744 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 20, 2018 - 10:31 PM

I've always been a D-Lo supporter and i think he was the correct pick at #2 given what we knew back then. His struggles has been (mostly) due to health and attitude, which as fans is nearly impossible to gauge. He'd be really good with this team right now, though, because he's quite effective in the half-court, is underrated as a defender and is a great shooter.

I'm glad he's doing well in Brooklyn.

#14 manaro90

manaro90

All-Star

• 5,637 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 21, 2018 - 07:39 AM

i love you. good post

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 21, 2018 - 07:56 AM

Derek Fisher didn't as a Laker either. Didn't stop him from being a key player on 5 Finals wins. 

Lonzo will never sniff 14 ppg

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,819 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 21, 2018 - 09:08 AM

Derek Fisher didn't as a Laker either. Didn't stop him from being a key player on 5 Finals wins.

Derek Fisher also wasn't drafted 2nd overall

#17 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 542 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted November 21, 2018 - 09:37 AM

disclaimer - this is some elementary level english so it might be a hassle to read but im too lazy to clean it up. 

I think we could have found a lot more than just 20 minutes off the bench for randle; especially before we had tyson chandler. 

i think as we are now, we could probably get him 28-32 minutes on average. we could use that z-bo kind of bruiser down low. only really strong players we have are lebron and chandle. maybe lance. he's deceptively stocky. having a guy like randle would help; especially since randle was starting to set those hard screens last year and he was pretty decent (at worst) about switching (which we do a lot of). his biggest weakness was the outside shot and he's made some improvement there as well. 

i don't remember all the salary situations over the summer. i know we got rondo for 9mil and randle signed a 2 year second non guaranteed or player option for 18mil total so 9/yr; we definitely needed javale whose on a minimum contract anyways. kcp was a sweetener for lebron and co. kcp basically got 30mil over two years from us and gave us a direct line of contact to lebrons team and klutch sporst (i think that's what it's called). i can't think of anything else that explains the no trade clause he has. so i guess it comes down to who would be better for us - stpehonson or randle? 

who would y'all want more on this team? any particular reason why? 

I agree that he was undervalued but at the same time once Lebron signed on his role was going to take a huge hit anyway.  Julius unlike Ball NEED touches to impact the game and with Bron or any other high usage star touches are going to be extremely limited to guys that need to get their own offense to feel involved. 

Would Julius be cool with getting 20mpg off the bench on this team with this many guys that can eat?  Would he be as engaged on defense?  

His stats look great in NO but he's being used a lot more and is basically doing what he was asked to do in LA early in the season.  Difference is he isnt pouting about it.  He's playing himself into a good contract.  

• Jackson likes this

#18 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,273 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted November 21, 2018 - 12:25 PM

Derek Fisher also wasn't drafted 2nd overall

Yea if his cieling is Fish thats a little disappointing. I expected more then that and i still think he has a chance.
  • LACAS likes this

#19 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,273 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted November 21, 2018 - 12:27 PM

disclaimer - this is some elementary level english so it might be a hassle to read but im too lazy to clean it up.

I think we could have found a lot more than just 20 minutes off the bench for randle; especially before we had tyson chandler.

i think as we are now, we could probably get him 28-32 minutes on average. we could use that z-bo kind of bruiser down low. only really strong players we have are lebron and chandle. maybe lance. he's deceptively stocky. having a guy like randle would help; especially since randle was starting to set those hard screens last year and he was pretty decent (at worst) about switching (which we do a lot of). his biggest weakness was the outside shot and he's made some improvement there as well.

i don't remember all the salary situations over the summer. i know we got rondo for 9mil and randle signed a 2 year second non guaranteed or player option for 18mil total so 9/yr; we definitely needed javale whose on a minimum contract anyways. kcp was a sweetener for lebron and co. kcp basically got 30mil over two years from us and gave us a direct line of contact to lebrons team and klutch sporst (i think that's what it's called). i can't think of anything else that explains the no trade clause he has. so i guess it comes down to who would be better for us - stpehonson or randle?

who would y'all want more on this team? any particular reason why?

If we could have gotten him for 2 years 18 mill with a second year team option we would have. He wasnt taking that deal with us.

#20 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,215 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 24, 2018 - 05:25 PM

They wouldn’t cause they’re not here moving on!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users