12/13 Kobe vs. 18/19 LeBron

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,405 posts

Posted November 08, 2018 - 01:54 AM

About the same age. How would you describe the performances by Kobe and LeBron?

LeBron has been more dominant physically for sure when he gets in the paint. But Kobe was much faster, and more imposing. Maybe after this season there will be a mixtape comparing both,

fXlFKv8.gif

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,643 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2018 - 02:11 AM

12/13 Kobe had one more year under his belt, so not the best comparison. That was probably the greatest 17th year in NBA history.

• Persian Gulf likes this

#3 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 1,065 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted November 08, 2018 - 03:02 AM

Remember kobe went full kobe mode in January 13
  • Persian Gulf likes this

#4 LakerBaller24

LakerBaller24

Rookie

• 50 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 08, 2018 - 07:35 AM

12/13 Kobe was not human at his age compared to Lebron now. 

Different animal but the same beast. Remember that commercial haha  :D

• Adam likes this

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,177 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 08, 2018 - 09:08 AM

12 13 Kobe was comparable to LeBron playoff run last season.

Its sad people didnt see this fall coming.

Rise rise rise peak. Decline. Slight rise again. And swift decline. Thats the life cycle for a great athlete

#6 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,770 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 09, 2018 - 11:11 AM

12 13 Kobe was comparable to LeBron playoff run last season.

I'm a huge Kobe fan but no he wasn't.
  • Jody Smokes and LakerBaller24 like this

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,373 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 09, 2018 - 11:36 AM

No he wasn't.  Lebron right now is still more athletic than Kobe was at his peak.  You might perceive this is a knock on Kobe though. 

Lebron just the most physically gifted specimen we've seen.  He's been playing at half pace for the last 3-4 year in the reg season and still being more productive than just about everyone.   

About the same age. How would you describe the performances by Kobe and LeBron?

LeBron has been more dominant physically for sure when he gets in the paint. But Kobe was much faster, and more imposing. Maybe after this season there will be a mixtape comparing both,

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,969 posts

Posted November 09, 2018 - 11:36 AM

I just want the kobe dropoff comparison with lebron to stop

Do people realize that if kobe doesn’t tear his Achilles he’s likely an all star until he was about 37-38

He had the worst injury in sports at an old age

Sure lebron will age but if he stays relatively healthy and free of major injury he’ll be effective throughout the bulk of the contract
Posted Image

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,373 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 09, 2018 - 11:43 AM

Kobe wasn't nearly as effective as a solo player though.  He put everything he had into every game in the 12-13 year and they barely made the playoffs.  With good seasoned players on the team as well.  

I think we wouldve had to have seen Kobe with younger players to see how well the team would have performed at those ages.  The 12-13 season should be caution to anyone that just because you throw top names together doesnt mean it's going to fit.  There were so many things wrong with that team that was overlooked at the time. 

I just want the kobe dropoff comparison with lebron to stop

Do people realize that if kobe doesn’t tear his Achilles he’s likely an all star until he was about 37-38

He had the worst injury in sports at an old age

Sure lebron will age but if he stays relatively healthy and free of major injury he’ll be effective throughout the bulk of the contract

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,969 posts

Posted November 09, 2018 - 11:59 AM

Kobe wasn't nearly as effective as a solo player though. He put everything he had into every game in the 12-13 year and they barely made the playoffs. With good seasoned players on the team as well.

I think we wouldve had to have seen Kobe with younger players to see how well the team would have performed at those ages. The 12-13 season should be caution to anyone that just because you throw top names together doesnt mean it's going to fit. There were so many things wrong with that team that was overlooked at the time.

There was 2 things wrong with that roster

Dwight’s back and Nash’s legs

Having those two fully healthy and it’s a different season guaranteed. Dwight wasn’t the player he was remotely before the injury and Nash’s legs fell apart

But I’m regards to kobe and lebron, kobe definitely showed he could still be incredibly effective. I’m not saying we would’ve competed for championships. What I’m saying is the myth of Kobe’s demise has taken shape and it’s wrong

Kobe’s demise was all about he Achilles. It’s a different end to his career without that. He would have averaged his 22-25 points per game shooting 42-45% and would’ve gotten sent off on a nicer note

Idk what the landscape of the roster would’ve been I’m just talking about him
Posted Image

#11 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,066 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 09, 2018 - 12:05 PM

Kobe was never as good as LeBron. I’m an enormous Kobe fan. My dogs name is Kobe. I have a large collection of his memorabilia and I’m fairly certain I watched every Lakers game he ever played in. He is an all time great. LeBron is just a better all around player, period. You won’t find many NBA pundits who disagree with this take, for good reason.
  • MambaMentality likes this

#12 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 936 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted November 09, 2018 - 12:59 PM

your dog's name is kobe?! lmao!

Kobe was never as good as LeBron. I’m an enormous Kobe fan. My dogs name is Kobe. I have a large collection of his memorabilia and I’m fairly certain I watched every Lakers game he ever played in. He is an all time great. LeBron is just a better all around player, period. You won’t find many NBA pundits who disagree with this take, for good reason.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,177 posts

Posted November 09, 2018 - 05:38 PM

No he wasn't. Lebron right now is still more athletic than Kobe was at his peak. You might perceive this is a knock on Kobe though.

Lebron just the most physically gifted specimen we've seen. He's been playing at half pace for the last 3-4 year in the reg season and still being more productive than just about everyone.

Bron is a monster athlete but peak Kobe atletic would run this dude all over the court.

Kobe during that 40 game stretch or so where Lakers went 28-12 was magical.
Clutch shots. Lockdown D when needed. Triple double threat.

But peak Kobe athletically is superior to Bron this season.

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,177 posts

Posted November 09, 2018 - 05:39 PM

Kobe was never as good as lebron?

What does that even mean?

#15 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,770 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 09, 2018 - 06:19 PM

There was 2 things wrong with that roster
Dwight’s back and Nash’s legs
Having those two fully healthy and it’s a different season guaranteed. Dwight wasn’t the player he was remotely before the injury and Nash’s legs fell apart
But I’m regards to kobe and lebron, kobe definitely showed he could still be incredibly effective. I’m not saying we would’ve competed for championships. What I’m saying is the myth of Kobe’s demise has taken shape and it’s wrong
Kobe’s demise was all about he Achilles. It’s a different end to his career without that. He would have averaged his 22-25 points per game shooting 42-45% and would’ve gotten sent off on a nicer note
Idk what the landscape of the roster would’ve been I’m just talking about him

I think that the Kobe/Nash fit would have likely been a problem even if Nash was healthy. No way Kobe lets Nash run around in circles like he did in Phoenix. Didnt Dwight also not like running PnR? Nash also had no athletes to work with.

That team had a ton of issues but I was young and at the time just saw names. If I had the bbiq that I have now, I would have likely seen the disaster coming lol.

Edited by KidRN, November 09, 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,177 posts

Posted November 09, 2018 - 07:40 PM

Nash wasnt the big issue.

Dwight wanting to be in the post was the issue.
Pau being soft was an issue.

Kobe being a prick was an issue.

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,969 posts

Posted November 09, 2018 - 11:52 PM

I think that the Kobe/Nash fit would have likely been a problem even if Nash was healthy. No way Kobe lets Nash run around in circles like he did in Phoenix. Didnt Dwight also not like running PnR? Nash also had no athletes to work with.

That team had a ton of issues but I was young and at the time just saw names. If I had the bbiq that I have now, I would have likely seen the disaster coming lol.

I agree that the championship talk in retrospect was misplaced. And that even totally healthy they probably don’t compete at that level

But I do believe fully healthy, talent alone they win 50 games or more and kobe doesn’t have to carry them all the way on his back to do it

I mean pre injury Dwight was a force of nature defensively to a point winning games on that end

The Dwight we had could barely move

Edited by last stand 2.0, November 09, 2018 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image

#18 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted November 11, 2018 - 09:53 PM

12/13 Kobe was 2/2 at the freethrow line with a ruptured Achilles tendon. 

/thread

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users