96 replies to this topic

#21 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,140 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 02, 2018 - 11:55 AM

Also be prepared for this talk to heat up. Lakers have 2 really tough games ahead of them with Blazers and Raptors on a back to back. Lakers could easily be 3-7.

They almost certainly will be 3-7. Portland is good. Raptors are great. I had both these games as losses before the season started and both opponents are over performing my expectations. So I would expect losses.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#22 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,206 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:04 PM

For sure this weekend's games will interesting. Luke likely playing the starters big minutes. And the team knowing they're playing for Luke's job.

#23 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,116 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:05 PM

How the [expletive] is anything Luke's fault? He has to tinker with lineups simply because the team has no chemistry, and it's composed with guys who are not compatible with each other. If he wasn't tinkering with lineups, then people will be complaining about the opposite, how Luke refuses to try new lineups, etc etc.

LeBron's success with the Heat and Cleveland was due to two factors. He either had an elite playmaker playing by his side, OR he was surrounded by lethal 3 point shooters that made collapsing defenses pay when he put his head down and drove in. Lakers have neither. So that has nothing to do with Luke.

He’s not totally free of blame, in no way shape or form. I don’t think it’s all his fault. But let’s not kid ourselves. He’s not like doing this amazing job and being screwed over
  • lakerfan98 and LACAS like this
Posted Image

#24 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:25 PM

He’s not totally free of blame, in no way shape or form. I don’t think it’s all his fault. But let’s not kid ourselves. He’s not like doing this amazing job and being screwed over

What should he be doing that he's not currently doing? Should we be mad at him that he's not Popovich?

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,116 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:41 PM

What should he be doing that he's not currently doing? Should we be mad at him that he's not Popovich?

Sets are bad, rotations are curious and sometimes very poorly timed, in game adjustments are inconsistent

Idk how anyone can sit there and not see it. I support luke, just like I support the youth but I’m aware of faults and all ends.
  • lakerfan98 likes this
Posted Image

#26 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,140 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:51 PM

The team doesn’t play to their strengths based for large portions of games.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#27 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,652 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:12 PM

He wasn't a Magic/Pelinka hire so I'm not surprised. I was impressed with his ability to make us an above average defensive team last year, but everything else has been underwhelming to say the least. He needs to hire better assistants or I think he's fired, if not this year definitely in the offseason. 

#28 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 940 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:28 PM

Should have kept Randle and Lopez, this team would be able to defend better(Lopez) and rebound better(Randle)
  • Busty Bluth and Persian Gulf like this

#29 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:44 PM

Sources close to Magic said he was stern with Luke Walton during the meeting more about not having a system in place than the wins and losses. Magic wants to see Luke have the Lakers run an offense that he has yet to see. Sources said that maybe the meeting opened Luke’s eyes.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#30 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:46 PM

@taniaganguli
Magic Johnson was angry in the meeting he had with Luke Walton (first reported by @wojespn and @mcten) but he doesn't make rash decisions. Several sources told me and @BA_Turner that Luke Walton's job is not in danger. Further, ownership still very much believes in him.

#31 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,818 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:50 PM

The Eric Murphy group?

Bye for Now

Circle does not get a square.

He is represented by Klutch

• Busty Bluth likes this

#32 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:53 PM

For starters, he hasn’t integrated much half-court sets. It’s a high screen/roll every possession down. Not hard to do with LeBron and Rondo on your team. That’s elementary, and it’s been a glaring weakness for years now. The rotations have been whacky his whole tenure here. Ball and Rondo shouldn’t be on the floor together. We’ve seen it and it sucks, move on. I’m glad he seems to have figured the starting 5 out, though.

I want Luke to be the coach of this team as they become a contender. Really like the guy, but he’s not free from any blame. There’s things he can continue to work on.

Edited by Massacre, November 02, 2018 - 01:57 PM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

#33 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,442 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 01:59 PM

#34 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

@WeCarpeDiem

• 4,816 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted November 02, 2018 - 03:23 PM

I want him to finish the year. I hate coaches getting fired in mid season.

#35 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 11,859 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 03:31 PM

It’s no coincidence that Lue gets let go in Cleveland while Magic calls Walton out.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#36 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,652 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 04:30 PM

I've been thinking about this more, and I think that Magic may have been the one to leak this to reporters as a message to LeBron. After all, if we lose the next 2 games, who do you think is going to be knocking on the FOs door asking for answers? We've seen James do it in Miami and Cleveland, even when they were winning. Remember James came here because of Magic, not Walton. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Magic just telling LeBron he's taking care of things.

• GCMD likes this

#37 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,652 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 04:32 PM

Brad Turner
@BA_Turner
 Sources close to Magic said he was stern with Luke Walton during the meeting  more about not having a system in place than the wins and losses. Magic wants to see Luke have the Lakers run an offense that he has yet to see. Sources said that maybe the meeting opened Luke’s eyes.

2:39 PM - Nov 2, 2018
457 people are talking about this

This right here is key. Magic sees exactly what we see with Luke's schemes.

#38 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,116 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 05:25 PM

Why would magic need to leak it? He has lebrons phone number, he sees lebron at the facilities, he can literally talk to lebron whenever he wants

What good does it do to leak it?
Posted Image

#39 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,409 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 05:39 PM

I see this as a perfectly normal development. Luke had 5 months since April to hire proper assistant coaches. Magic made it clear how Lakers should play in exit interviews. If we are still discussing a starting lineup (e.g. Ingram and Kuzma question), didn't they watch a film to see if it could work out or not? 4-4 I could understand but 3-5 is a bad start. Two more losses, which could happen, makes it a steep hill to recover from.

Edited by Tensai, November 02, 2018 - 05:40 PM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#40 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,607 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 02, 2018 - 05:53 PM

It will be Rambo when we fire Lukas. I’m fairly sure of that... I’d rather fire coaches in season no sense dragging things out.

Bye for now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users