25 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 31, 2018 - 05:30 AM

1) BI needs to stay aggressive with Lebron on the floor.  I think this is the center of what will open up the half court for this team.  

2) In addition to that any minutes Lebron isn't on the floor BI should be on the floor.  

- Both are scoring playmakers, so naturally when both play together one is less effective on the ball.  This is where BI can shine the most            as an individual when Lebron isn't on the floor.  Some believe BI should take the Iggy role to accomplish this.  I view the partnership as              something that could work similar to Wade/Bron in early Miami days.  This needs to be figured out.  

3) Ball/Kuz/Bron need a lot of minutes together.  Bron unlocks these 2.  However, Ball needs to be MORE aggressive on the floor when this          happens.  He's been way too passive the last couple of games.  Needs to hit that switch.  Play time is over for him.  

4) Lance has been a pleasant surprise.  Wasn't a fan of it at first but I see why it's working and if he continues to hit the wide open 3 at a solid         clip and put pressure on the defense he should maintain a good spot in the rotation. 

5) KCP isn't trash but he is a rhythm player.  Im not really sure what they should do with him other than wait out this slump.  

6) Hart has been bad on the ball on D this year.  Not sure how that changes but he gives max effort and sometimes that leads to good [expletive]             regardless.  He's earned his keep.  

7) Kuz - kinda the same thing as Hart.  Been aggressive on both ends...sometimes leads to good sometimes bad but you live with it.  He's               ballin.  

8) Rondo, the same thing that makes you laugh makes you cry with him.  He's good in some spurts but he should never share the court with       Lebron in the 4th late in games.  He's just too much of a liability on both ends in the half court.  Late vs the Twolves with Jimmy all they did was hunt him out for ISOs.  Had Ball been in the game I dont think Jimmy gets that 3 off as easy.  Rondo couldnt even get a hand in his face.  BI or Ball makes that a bit more difficult.  

9) Moe Wagner is a real X factor.  How good he is when he starts to get playing time can change life for the team.  This teams backup 5 minutes are extremely terrible.  Williams has been trying but he's just talented enough to be relied on vs top talent.  He also doesnt provide anything on offense that's useful for the team right now.  Wagner's floor stretching and transition play could change some things in the 2nd unit.  

10)  Lebron is holding back.  There's pros and cons to that.  I'd still like to see him give more effort on defense.  I liked some of his help D vs the Twolves.  My honest opinion on him is that he's allowing the young players to take ownership before he injects himself too much into the mix.  He's almost damned if he does or doesnt with some fans.  If he was doing too much to win games guys would kill him for "Bron Ball".  Bron ball shouldnt bother LA fans b/c we saw it with Kobe for years.  Guys aren't asserting themselves he'll just take over and say get in line.  Difference is Kobe was required to do that more often b/c of the individual talent and skill level of guys he was with at the time (06-13) era.  This team has way too many guys that can get their own buckets for Lebron to have to take total control of the flow.  

11) Im starting to get concerned about Lonzo Ball's lack of aggression now.  Idc about box score stats per se but he can't play 24 minutes and simply not do ANYTHING.  There's no excuse for 4/1/1 with no steals or blocks statline in 24 minutes from a guy with his capabilities.  He'll likely never be a 20/5/5 type of player and he doesnt need to be.  I believe he's the Draymond Green of wings/guards so at the very least he should always have something he's doing all over the floor that's effective the game.  He did jack[expletive] vs the Wolves.  

• LakerGeezer, MambaMentality, LACAS and 1 other like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 676 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted October 31, 2018 - 07:01 AM

I agree with all this. Nothing you’ve said is even difficult to implement either so hopefully we see it soon.

Do you think Luke Walton is on the hot seat? I personally don’t and it’s probably not the best for the lakers or LeBron to fire him less than ten games into the season. But time and time again he shows me he’s bad at putting in good lineups. Some of them are real head scratchers.

And my God, freakin Lonzo Ball. Rondo too. They both need to be aggressive. Especially with the 3-ball. Did y’all see how many times rondo passed up an open three and it actually led to turnovers? Players see a man open at the 3pt line and they’re getting ready to crash the boards or whatever then the ball is in their hands.

#3 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,290 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted October 31, 2018 - 09:04 AM

how can moe be an x factor when he hasnt even step foot on the court. 

• GCMD and PurpleNgoldBanners like this

Make Lakers Great Again. 

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,654 posts

Posted October 31, 2018 - 09:43 AM

No I don't but I do believe if they don't go on a win streak soon heads will HAVE to roll.  The coach is the easiest scapegoat to send a message.  I also don't think there is a candidate out there that's a good fit right now.  I think regardless Luke survives the season.  

A trade is harder to make happen considering the only pieces they have to move are the young guys.  No one is giving up the missing piece for KCP, Rondo packaged together but then again I could be wrong. 

Rondo plays w/i his limitations so if he's passing up 3s im not upset but he shouldn't be in crunch time or have long spurts of play if this is an issue.  He also shouldn't be playing with 2-3 other non shooters.  

Lonzo has no excuse.  It's year 2, he's shown too many flashes to just be "chillin" on the court.

I agree with all this. Nothing you’ve said is even difficult to implement either so hopefully we see it soon.

Do you think Luke Walton is on the hot seat? I personally don’t and it’s probably not the best for the lakers or LeBron to fire him less than ten games into the season. But time and time again he shows me he’s bad at putting in good lineups. Some of them are real head scratchers.

And my God, freakin Lonzo Ball. Rondo too. They both need to be aggressive. Especially with the 3-ball. Did y’all see how many times rondo passed up an open three and it actually led to turnovers? Players see a man open at the 3pt line and they’re getting ready to crash the boards or whatever then the ball is in their hands.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,654 posts

Posted October 31, 2018 - 09:44 AM

Because the team desperately needs a stretch big and someone that can rebound.  Im not saying he's a star but that's a huge deficiency that needs to be filled asap.  

#6 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 676 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted October 31, 2018 - 09:51 AM

In limited minutes against lesser competition aka summer league, he’s shown he can be a better fit than Zubac and he’s bigger than Williams I believe as well. He’s a new era stretch big. Williams is not.

#7 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 31, 2018 - 11:54 PM

We need a center but one who hasn't played isn't the X-Factor.  We don't even know if he's capable of staying healthy, nevermind in the rotation.

I think most of the other points are valid but at some point we have to accept that our young guys need more time than we may have thought.  This isn't as simple as lineup changes or people playing harder.  We need things we don't have.

• Persian Gulf and bfc1125roy like this

#8 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,043 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 01, 2018 - 01:47 AM

11) Im starting to get concerned about Lonzo Ball's lack of aggression now. Idc about box score stats per se but he can't play 24 minutes and simply not do ANYTHING. There's no excuse for 4/1/1 with no steals or blocks statline in 24 minutes from a guy with his capabilities. He'll likely never be a 20/5/5 type of player and he doesnt need to be. I believe he's the Draymond Green of wings/guards so at the very least he should always have something he's doing all over the floor that's effective the game. He did jack[expletive] vs the Wolves.

I think that the denial is finally starting to shine through on this forum. Lonzo has been this bad since day 1. I literally don't see any improvement from his first couple of games in the nba.

The dude is just a complete non factor for way too much of the game. It's not like he's playing poorly, I'd rather actually see him play poorly because that would at least show that he's putting forth an effort. He just doesn't do anything. It's like the kid that parents forced him to play a sport so the coach puts him in for 5 minutes and he does nothing but stare at the crowd in complete terror until he exits the game.

He's not Draymond, I'd be happy if he was simply an average pg with a 3pt shot at this point. He's a future backup point guard that can give your team some energy by switching up the pace.

This was a bad pick!

Edited by KidRN, November 01, 2018 - 01:52 AM.

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,627 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 01, 2018 - 10:50 AM

Zo good. Just wait

#10 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,981 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 01, 2018 - 11:54 AM

I think that the denial is finally starting to shine through on this forum. Lonzo has been this bad since day 1. I literally don't see any improvement from his first couple of games in the nba.

The dude is just a complete non factor for way too much of the game. It's not like he's playing poorly, I'd rather actually see him play poorly because that would at least show that he's putting forth an effort. He just doesn't do anything. It's like the kid that parents forced him to play a sport so the coach puts him in for 5 minutes and he does nothing but stare at the crowd in complete terror until he exits the game.

He's not Draymond, I'd be happy if he was simply an average pg with a 3pt shot at this point. He's a future backup point guard that can give your team some energy by switching up the pace.

This was a bad pick!

Zo is solid. You clearly aren’t capable of objective analysis. So, nice long winded post that says absolutely nothing.
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#11 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,043 posts

Posted November 01, 2018 - 05:50 PM

Zo is solid. You clearly aren’t capable of objective analysis. So, nice long winded post that says absolutely nothing.

We didnt use the 2nd pick to get a "solid" player.

What has he improved from year 1?

Where does he rank as far as starting pg's?

You said absolutely nothing except that you dont agree with me. Lonzo is garbage and the only people that don't see it are Laker fans.

Serious question, is he better than Russell was?

Edited by KidRN, November 01, 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#12 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 14,193 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 01, 2018 - 07:11 PM

This Wagner guy looks like another Zubac to me .. We're yet to see if he's even NBA material.

#13 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

Shahanshah

• 5,290 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted November 01, 2018 - 08:37 PM

Because the team desperately needs a stretch big and someone that can rebound.  Im not saying he's a star but that's a huge deficiency that needs to be filled asap.  

we will see. 

Make Lakers Great Again. 

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,654 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 07:37 AM

They are literally nothing alike as players.  Not saying he's a guaranteed NBA player but he's far more talented than Zubac offensively.  He's an NBA player at least on that end.  Defensively is probably a different story. 

This Wagner guy looks like another Zubac to me .. We're yet to see if he's even NBA material.

• LakerGeezer likes this

#15 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:36 PM

This was a bad pick!

He does wander at times, and has admitted to that.  But when he is engaged, he has been pretty good.  He's just 21 years old, averaging 10/5/5 on reduced minutes and has shown to be our best perimeter defender when he is engaged.  He has fixed his 3p shot it actually looks ok now.

Suggesting that he is a bad pick based upon the limited body of work is an over reaction in my view.  He has the potential to be an upper tier PG in the league; whether it happens is up to him, but he was (and still is) a good bet by the FO.

#16 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 02, 2018 - 12:46 PM

Statistically, yes:

Russell rookie year:  13/3/3

Ball rookie year:  10/7/7

Intangibles, yes:

Ball is clearly a superior defender, better court IQ, better locker room guy with alot more upside than Russell.  

I'd much prefer a pass first, team oriented PG that plays defense.

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,672 posts

Posted November 02, 2018 - 02:51 PM

We didnt use the 2nd pick to get a "solid" player.

What has he improved from year 1?

Where does he rank as far as starting pg's?

You said absolutely nothing except that you dont agree with me. Lonzo is garbage and the only people that don't see it are Laker fans.

He’s definitely better than Russell by his defensive ability alone

Also he’s clearly improved his shot. I mean he’s shooting roughly the same amount of shots a game but has increased his percentage from 3 by 11% points and has increased his regular shooting percentage by 10% points

So he has improved things. He’s still not where anyone wants him to be but he’s absolutely improving things
Posted Image

#18 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 03, 2018 - 01:15 AM

This was a bad pick!

You're judging Lonzo based on what you want to see from him.  He doesn't need to change.  We drafted him to be something that fits a style we wanted to play.  

He's literally the driver.  If the car is poop, the driver can only do so much.  He's not now nor will he ever be a great scorer.  Please get over that.  It won't now nor will it ever be the complete measure of Lonzo Ball.

Lonzo is not Lillard nor is he Steph.  Neither was Jason Kidd.  You don't need to be a dominant scorer or 3 point sniper to be a GREAT PG.

It doesn't make any sense to continue to try to change players.  It's been proven over and over to not help them or the team.  Lonzo will be fine in the right situation.  That's enough because in that situation, he will be a game changer.

I get you.  You want to see something and you don't Lonzo is capable of that.  That's not the same as Lonzo not being capable of being a great player as he is.  You can't teach his passing, court vision, or defensive instincts/rebounding.

What you want to see is not the same as all there can ever be.

#19 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,648 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted November 03, 2018 - 05:51 AM

KEY DO: a stable consistent starting 5, role with it and hopefully they will secure your job... all this tinkering is for the birds.

#20 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,043 posts

Posted November 03, 2018 - 07:18 AM

You're judging Lonzo based on what you want to see from him. He doesn't need to change. We drafted him to be something that fits a style we wanted to play.

He's literally the driver. If the car is poop, the driver can only do so much. He's not now nor will he ever be a great scorer. Please get over that. It won't now nor will it ever be the complete measure of Lonzo Ball.

Lonzo is not Lillard nor is he Steph. Neither was Jason Kidd. You don't need to be a dominant scorer or 3 point sniper to be a GREAT PG.

It doesn't make any sense to continue to try to change players. It's been proven over and over to not help them or the team. Lonzo will be fine in the right situation. That's enough because in that situation, he will be a game changer.

I get you. You want to see something and you don't Lonzo is capable of that. That's not the same as Lonzo not being capable of being a great player as he is. You can't teach his passing, court vision, or defensive instincts/rebounding.

What you want to see is not the same as all there can ever be.

I dont want him to alter his entire game. We don't need a score first pg. I want him to live up to the expectations of a 2nd pick. I want him to look like he even has the potential that everyone though coming out of college. I love pass first pg's and I always have. Lonzo needs a ton of work. Aggressiveness and confidence may be the solution to a lot of his issues.

The culture change that you want to see, isn't really there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users