589 replies to this topic

#441 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,588 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2019 - 09:35 AM

This plan backfired, spectacularly.  The young guys aren't good, they are too heavy for LeBron to carry, and the guys that they signed in the offseason straight up don't fit with their strengths.  When you build a team, you build it based on your strength.  The Lakers have 2 strengths, the most obvious being they have the best player in every game, one that operates best when he is surrounded by shooters, because he can find them and he always demands a double team, if you are a guy who can hit open shots at a high clip you will excel with LeBron.  The only other thing they have going for them is their length, specifically on the defensive end but could also be effective in getting easy buckets in the paint.  The Lakers have surrounded LeBron with a bunch of kids who can't shoot, they signed a bunch of guys who can't shoot, and their offensive plan is non-existent and/or get lulled into shooting 3's which they aren't good at.  Its on the FO, they design the team, they enable the coaching or lack thereof, you can sign LeBron, you can sign AD, etc etc, this isn't just throw a bunch of names out their and hope that it works together, the only way it works is if you assemble a team that has a plan.  GSW has a team that is designed around shooting, everyone on their team can shoot, their goal every game is going to be to just outshoot you, and they will live with the results.  The Rockets have a plan, their plan is to give the ball to Harden and he will create for himself and other than that you are shooting either an uncontested layup or shooting a 3, they have done the analysis and they have determined that doing exactly that and living with the results on a game to game basis gives them the best chance to win.  Every successful team in the NBA is currently embracing analytics to guide the brand of basketball that they play as well as the teams that they construct, the Lakers need to move into the modern era and embrace this change or they will be left holding the bag with an otherworldly talent on their team.

#442 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,768 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 13, 2019 - 09:56 AM

You are never going to beat GS at their own game. Analytics only goes so far.... ask the Rockets and No D Antoni. The Lakers problem is not on offense its defense and the desire to play it. Lebron can no longer stay in front of a player, Rondo, Stephenson same thing. Mcgee hasnt been the same as before.

Lebron signed off on all aquisitions the Lakers made, he gets blame. Why didnt he speak up and say he wanted Reddick, Korver, and these other shooters?

Our starting lineup could have been:

Tyreke Evans, Reddick, Lopez, Lebron and Ariza.....

All FA in 18

All 3 point shooters. Think about how great this team could have been for Lebron........ better than any of the players on the roster.... amirite

#443 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 5,022 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 13, 2019 - 11:19 AM

This team has problems with roster construction that we've been over a million times since July. Also we can all agree this team was never in contention for a championship THIS season. Playoffs would be nice and that Hawks loss definitely stung but injuries are the main reason we're here. Some ppl have been preaching doom and gloom the entire season and it's turned into confirmation bias now. The failed AD trade obviously didn't help matters but the main culprit is LeBron, Rondo, Ingram, Lonzo, and McGee missing 80 games and counting. Our roster construction and coaching decisions and team chemistry would still be questionable but we'd be questioning it as a 4-5 seed. More shooting, better substituations from Luke, and better chemistry would help but it ain't gonna bring those 80 games back.
  • LACAS and Adam like this

#444 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,588 posts

Posted February 13, 2019 - 02:23 PM

You are never going to beat GS at their own game. Analytics only goes so far.... ask the Rockets and No D Antoni. The Lakers problem is not on offense its defense and the desire to play it. Lebron can no longer stay in front of a player, Rondo, Stephenson same thing. Mcgee hasnt been the same as before.

Lebron signed off on all aquisitions the Lakers made, he gets blame. Why didnt he speak up and say he wanted Reddick, Korver, and these other shooters?

Our starting lineup could have been:

Tyreke Evans, Reddick, Lopez, Lebron and Ariza.....

All FA in 18

All 3 point shooters. Think about how great this team could have been for Lebron........ better than any of the players on the roster.... amirite

If you are fighting against analytics you can be right in a small sample size but you will be wrong and losing in the long term, assuming that your analysis is sound in the first place. Houston missing 28 three point shots in a row, still makes taking all those 3s the correct play, that is the game that they play. We always make the correct play in hindsight, results based decision making is heavily flawed.

#445 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:LeBron James aka King James

Posted February 13, 2019 - 10:01 PM

3 games out of the 8th seed, coming off Loss to the Hawks, and you think the odds are good?  Why?

They better wake up if they have any hope of making the playoffs. The chances are good, but they have to show up on defense.

#446 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 10,387 posts

Posted February 13, 2019 - 10:45 PM

3 games out of the 8th seed, coming off Loss to the Hawks, and you think the odds are good?  Why?

Think i made that post prior to the Hawks game and i still think the Lakers have a good chance at making the playoffs.

The main reason is that they need some rest and a break from the team over the all-star break. Once they come back they should be healthy and if Lebron is locked in i think he can push us towards the playoffs. Lonzo should get back as well.

My biggest concern isn't the ability to make the playoffs, but the willingness.

#447 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts

Posted February 14, 2019 - 01:04 PM

Yes, I think you posted your earlier comment prior to the Hawks game.  I guess I'm very impressed by how strong SAC has come on.  That backcourt of Fox & Hield is lighting things up.  Buddy Hield is 45% from deep, while attempting nearly as many threes as Curry.  

Think i made that post prior to the Hawks game and i still think the Lakers have a good chance at making the playoffs.

The main reason is that they need some rest and a break from the team over the all-star break. Once they come back they should be healthy and if Lebron is locked in i think he can push us towards the playoffs. Lonzo should get back as well.

My biggest concern isn't the ability to make the playoffs, but the willingness.

#448 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 890 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted February 17, 2019 - 02:44 PM

Before Lebron went down we were the fourth seed. Then we lost like 12 of the next eighteen. Games. So while this team has problems the number one problem has been injuries. It is what it is but I don’t think it’s fair to say this team sucks. And our young guys might not be the greatest but they’re also not trash. They’re all solid, decent players. Let’s not bash on em all so much.

It’s going to be incredibly difficult to get the seventh seed but it’s still possible. I’ll do the math later but I still believe it’s possible. But we need guys to be locked in and focused. I’m hoping that losing to the hawks and having to hear how much they suck and how they’re not making the playoffs etc. I hope it’ll make them want it more. I hope after the break we see more inspired basketball bc I’m not going to waste my time to rest and relax to watch these guys get paid millions of dollars to give a lackadaidacal efodt.

#449 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

long live..

• 5,475 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted February 18, 2019 - 12:15 PM

we gonna make it. 

• LACAS likes this

Youtube: Mehran M 
Instagram: Mehran.Mrkz

#450 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 22, 2019 - 11:49 AM

Gotta win vs NOP. Kings play Thunder and we'll switch spots with them if they lose and we win. Gotta win the winnable games.

#451 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,588 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 12:07 PM

Gotta win vs NOP. Kings play Thunder and we'll switch spots with them if they lose and we win. Gotta win the winnable games.

Every game is winnable if LeBron plays well, which he has been, if the other guys step up they can steal games against the best teams and should be able to handle all the rest with relative ease, but they haven't done that :)

• Jackson likes this

#452 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,344 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 12:11 PM

Every game is winnable if LeBron plays well, which he has been, if the other guys step up they can steal games against the best teams and should be able to handle all the rest with relative ease, but they haven't done that :)

LeBron was and is just as liable for some of the game we blew.

#453 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,832 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted February 22, 2019 - 12:51 PM

as a recent fan you haven't seen the Lakers perform miracle comebacks they will suceed as last nights game showed and they will get even better! It would be nice to have some good health come our way I noticed Hart was out last night hope he gets back as we need all bodies healthy to complete this run making the playoffs this year would be great for the teams chemistry and have experience for next season. Hoping for a fruitful summer with free agents!! BTW the Kings who played an admirable game vs GSW lost this helps our cause, you can't be a doubter and be a fan unless you're a fair weather type! Go Lakers!!!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, February 22, 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#454 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,223 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 01:17 PM

Pelicans x 2, Grizzlies, Bucks, Suns, Clippers.

5-1. Anything below 4-2 is a problem. That Clippers game is setting up to be very important.

Edited by Massacre, February 22, 2019 - 01:17 PM.

• Persian Gulf and Jackson like this

#455 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,344 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 01:34 PM

Pelicans x 2, Grizzlies, Bucks, Suns, Clippers.

5-1. Anything below 4-2 is a problem. That Clippers game is setting up to be very important.

I would hope they go 5-1 with the only loss vs the Bucks, but I think 4-2 is more reasonable before the Clippers game.

#456 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,588 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 01:42 PM

I would hope they go 5-1 with the only loss vs the Bucks, but I think 4-2 is more reasonable before the Clippers game.

The Bucks are a nice team, they aren't GSW, they are totally beatable.  Lakers need to go on an absolute tear to get into the 7th seed, and that should be the goal, no games off, try like hell to win them all.

Edited by noknife, February 22, 2019 - 01:42 PM.

#457 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Stay Woke

• 1,311 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted February 22, 2019 - 01:46 PM

Refs getting the memo. Get the Lakers in the playoffs lol

#458 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 5,022 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted February 22, 2019 - 02:11 PM

Refs getting the memo. Get the Lakers in the playoffs lol

If only we could choose our refs like the Rockets.

#459 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 02:56 PM

Not sure why you think I'm a recent fan, lol.  I didn't say we have no shot, I just questioned why the odds are "good."  After last night's game, the odds are a heck of a lot better than they were before the Houston game.  

LOL, you can absolutely assess the chances of making the playoffs in an honest manner - while being a Lakerfan :)   You don't have to be delusional to be a Lakerfan, lol.   The Kings are playing damn well, they are young & not likely to suffer injuries, so we better keep stepping up our game.  

as a recent fan you haven't seen the Lakers perform miracle comebacks they will suceed as last nights game showed and they will get even better! It would be nice to have some good health come our way I noticed Hart was out last night hope he gets back as we need all bodies healthy to complete this run making the playoffs this year would be great for the teams chemistry and have experience for next season. Hoping for a fruitful summer with free agents!! BTW the Kings who played an admirable game vs GSW lost this helps our cause, you can't be a doubter and be a fan unless you're a fair weather type! Go Lakers!!!

#460 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 03:00 PM

Lebron doesn't tank or slack off....ever.  That is part of why he's the greatest player in the world, the greatest player to ever put on a Laker uniform.

The Bucks are a nice team, they aren't GSW, they are totally beatable.  Lakers need to go on an absolute tear to get into the 7th seed, and that should be the goal, no games off, try like hell to win them all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users