88 replies to this topic

#21 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,448 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 04, 2018 - 07:29 PM

Maybe KCP nets something mid season.  I just think Svi has potential to take his minutes.  Im not even sure if there is key guy out there in that salary range along with a team that's willing to trade said guy for a wing on an expiring deal. 

Nikola Vucevic would be perfect.  He's making 12.7M.  He's doesn't provide much rim protection but he's a borderline all star level offensive big.  I hope this is a move they look into if Zubac doesn't turn it around. 

If we could land a legit rim running, rim-protecting lob target, I think the sky's the limit.  If we can convince EVERYONE to gang rebound, set HARD SCREENS and run on misses and makes, we are easily a top 3 team in the West and possibly the entire NBA.  I like where we're going and what we have to work with.

• GCMD likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#22 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted October 04, 2018 - 07:51 PM

i think this team would be amazing with AD. 3 straight championships. forget about KD to LA, we need AD to LA.

• GCMD and Busty Bluth like this

#23 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 04, 2018 - 10:09 PM

Lol the Lakers are looking like death after tonight's game with Sacramento. Kyle Kuzma with the Ed Hardy shirt... Christ dude.

If we're patient something will present itself. The only problem with "young athletic shot blocker who also has adequate fundamentals and is not insanely expensive" is that, the whole entire league is looking for the same thing.

Not sure what KCP nets us except a draft pick but only if we are willing to take another team's unwanted sloppy seconds (salary cap dump, think a Deng but not as many years left).

#24 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 04, 2018 - 10:13 PM

Here is a song for all the Laker fans in a panic right now:

"Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground"[note 1] is a gospel blues song written and performed by American musician Blind Willie Johnson and recorded in 1927. The song is primarily an instrumental featuring Johnson's self-taught bottleneck slide guitar and picking style accompanied by his vocalizations of humming and moaning. It has the distinction of being one of 27 samples of music included on the Voyager Golden Record, launched into space in 1977 to represent the diversity of life on Earth.

Dark was the night, lonely was the ground fellas.... Dark was the night... Lonely was the ground (vintage polaroids and videos of George Mikan, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, begins tearing up)

smh... smh.... begins sobbing-

Everyone relax, we will be fine lol

Edited by dbtbandit67, October 04, 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#25 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,655 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 11, 2018 - 02:31 AM

Good breakdown of our preseason offense with video clips. Was trying to describe their common sets you see here in the OP. Overall, this is pretty lackluster for an offense, but we've been able to get because of how good the PnR is. But there's a lot more potential here, and I hope Walton sees that.

Excited for the start of the regular season!

#26 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,655 posts

Posted October 11, 2018 - 04:18 PM

I don’t think I’ve played on or been on staff for a team that’s put in fewer offensive sets in preseason than LA’s team this year.

They’d run like 6x the sets at this point last preseason. It’s not hard. Every decent high school team does it fairly quickly with kids/non-pros.

Things can turn around. LA isn’t doomed. By the nature of scheme, if they suddenly get themselves together they can right the ship. But with a 2 year sample + almost full preseason, the indicators aren’t good. There’s hope, but little evidence pointing to good scheme for LA.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,296 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 11, 2018 - 05:42 PM

I hate this guy
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#28 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 3,143 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 11, 2018 - 08:05 PM

i think this team would be amazing with AD. 3 straight championships. forget about KD to LA, we need AD to LA.

soon
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#29 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,655 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 12:34 AM

I'll wait for someone else to do the video play by play breakdown.

But we had a number of issues tonight. Some communication problems on defense, shooting woes, etc, that can all be solved with time.

But down the stretch the Blazers figured out our offensive gameplan, and when they adjusted their defense to stop it, we didn't have enough firepower to keep up with them. It wasn't an issue of us not executing our offense, but we were limited by the SYSTEM itself. We don't have enough options in our offense to make the defense respect the multiple threats and playmakers we have on the floor. Luke is going to have to get rid of the 1-4 high and install a completely new system if we are going to close out games more efficiently.

Or just ISO LeBron repeatedly - which would actually net us a decent amount of wins. But I doubt anyone wants to depend solely on that.

Edited by bfc1125roy, October 19, 2018 - 12:35 AM.

• MambaMentality likes this

#30 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Legend

• 10,052 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 06:29 AM

It's way too early to make any changes right now. Remember, that Portland team had almost no changes to the roster since last season, so they've developed a sense of chemistry and continuity. 

Lakers are still getting used to playing with LeBron, fully understanding the plays, etc. We will not be a good shooting team, but I expect Ingram and Kuzma to shoot better over time (Hart was amazing). 

This is largely an experimental year. LeBron could have won the game himself last night, but he knows he needs the young guys to develop and build confidence. 

• LACAS likes this

#31 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,451 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 19, 2018 - 06:48 AM

Still can't shoot 3's. Can't change that unless we make a few roster changes.

#32 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,821 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted October 19, 2018 - 07:29 AM

It's way too early to make any changes right now. Remember, that Portland team had almost no changes to the roster since last season, so they've developed a sense of chemistry and continuity. 

Lakers are still getting used to playing with LeBron, fully understanding the plays, etc. We will not be a good shooting team, but I expect Ingram and Kuzma to shoot better over time (Hart was amazing). 

This is largely an experimental year. LeBron could have won the game himself last night, but he knows he needs the young guys to develop and build confidence.

If he could have won it, he would have.

The lack of 3 point shooters isn't going to change once they get used to playing together. You can't beat the better teams out west without hitting 3's. Especially a team like GS. Last night taught me that this team will struggle even with good team chemistry. We simply don't have the roster to legitimately compete. Our D was also pretty terrible.

#33 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,595 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 19, 2018 - 08:57 AM

We need to play the shooters period. Hart and Svi need to get minutes over KCP. Lonzo is playing like [expletive]in Lonzo like always. Dude is horrible. We also need to be on the phone with Nick like ASAP.

#34 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Legend

• 10,052 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 08:59 AM

If he could have won it, he would have.

The lack of 3 point shooters isn't going to change once they get used to playing together. You can't beat the better teams out west without hitting 3's. Especially a team like GS. Last night taught me that this team will struggle even with good team chemistry. We simply don't have the roster to legitimately compete. Our D was also pretty terrible.

LeBron was definitely purposefully passive last night. He's known to take it easy during the season until come Playoff time. He understands there's no point in him pushing himself the 1st game into the season without giving a chance for the young guys to develop. 

This team even with improved 3-point shooting will not beat a healthy GS. We would need another star(s) to even give us a chance. 

Improved chemistry + shooting (I don't expect us to shoot as poorly as we did last game every night) over time will net a better record. We won 35 games last season without the best player in the game on our team (and many of those losses were due to missed free throws and not having a closer). 

We're definitely not winning a championship without another star and more shooters though. I'd be surprised if we still have all of the young core by next season. 

#35 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,294 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted October 19, 2018 - 09:02 AM

We should be starting;

Rondo

Hart

Ingram

Bron

McGee

Hart is better than KCP.

Rondo at this point is better than Ball.

I would like to see some Svi.

#36 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,144 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 09:22 AM

We should be starting;
Rondo
Hart
Ingram
Bron
McGee

Hart is better than KCP.
Rondo at this point is better than Ball.

I would like to see some Svi.

Idk, part of me thinks we should start

Rondo/ ball
Ingram/ KCP
Lebron/ hart
Kuzma/ lebron
McGee/ Wagner

Personal preference

But hart starting wouldn’t hurt as well. I just feel like kuzma is athletic enough to move at the tempo they want

Now part of this could be them wanting bron at PF. But personally I think kuzmas shooting at the 4 with the starters would be welcome.
Posted Image

#37 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 09:31 AM

i don't think this team would have been unstoppable with kawhi swapped for ingram. same problems as last night would have popped up. the way for this style of team to win is with two solid, mobile, defensive-minded big men. ideally, one of whom can spread the floor with a three ball. then shift kuz down to 4 and start hart over kcp.

#38 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,463 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 10:19 AM

Idk, part of me thinks we should start

Rondo/ ball
Ingram/ KCP
Lebron/ hart
Kuzma/ lebron
McGee/ Wagner

Personal preference

But hart starting wouldn’t hurt as well. I just feel like kuzma is athletic enough to move at the tempo they want

Now part of this could be them wanting bron at PF. But personally I think kuzmas shooting at the 4 with the starters would be welcome.

I’m comfortable with this. I would usually be skeptical about Ingram defending smaller and quicker 2’s, but he did great on McCollum last night and was a great helper... I think that could be the norm moving forward.

#39 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,821 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted October 19, 2018 - 10:36 AM

i don't think this team would have been unstoppable with kawhi swapped for ingram. same problems as last night would have popped up. the way for this style of team to win is with two solid, mobile, defensive-minded big men. ideally, one of whom can spread the floor with a three ball. then shift kuz down to 4 and start hart over kcp.

A rim protector that can spread the floor is extremely difficult to come by and every team in the nba would benefit from this type of player. At the C position, a mobile rim protector that can spread the floor will damn near make one an all star. The combination of those skills is rare. We should have kept Lopez. Mcgee and Lopez would have given us a good balance at the C position. Finding one player to occupy both roles is damn near impossible in today's game.

Edited by KidRN, October 19, 2018 - 10:43 AM.

• LACAS likes this

#40 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts

Posted October 19, 2018 - 11:09 AM

sad but true.

A rim protector that can spread the floor is extremely difficult to come by and every team in the nba would benefit from this type of player. At the C position, a mobile rim protector that can spread the floor will damn near make one an all star. The combination of those skills is rare. We should have kept Lopez. Mcgee and Lopez would have given us a good balance at the C position. Finding one player to occupy both roles is damn near impossible in today's game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users