8 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,225 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 15, 2018 - 03:23 PM

I think huge underrated but very experimental part of the team this year is the amount of playmakers that are going to be sharing the floor at once.  

Lebron, Rondo and Lonzo are top out as elite level playmakers.  Then you have Ingram who has experience running an offense as the primary playmaker.  Then you top that off with risky but capable playmaker in Lance.  

Outside of its Centers I dont think this team has a one dimensional offensive player on it this year. 

Is there a team with this amount of quality playmakers that can play at the same time?  When this thing clicks I expect to see one of the most efficient and assist heavy offenses we've ever seen.  That's not even getting into how they will perform in transition.  They are going to be the best transition offense we've seen in recent history.  

• Adam likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,709 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 16, 2018 - 07:50 AM

Majesty...chill

#3 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,954 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted September 16, 2018 - 08:42 AM

Gotta have solid D to contend

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,225 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 16, 2018 - 08:44 AM

They were 12th in defense last year.  I don't see that changing all that much this year.  Even with Bron being bad on that end last year, he's playing the 4 with hungry youngers.  Not JR Smith, Love and an over the hill George Hill or IT in the lineup. 

Gotta have solid D to contend

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted September 17, 2018 - 01:54 PM

We're not gonna get very far running a predictable "I drive in and get double, then kick it out"  type system

If these guys can post up from midrange and downlow, then they can pass it to each other cutting to the basket

Assuming that they are actually a 1on1 threat from the post

The more you know!

Edited by dbtbandit67, September 17, 2018 - 01:54 PM.

• GCMD likes this

#6 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,244 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 17, 2018 - 04:50 PM

I think huge underrated but very experimental part of the team this year is the amount of playmakers that are going to be sharing the floor at once.  

Lebron, Rondo and Lonzo are top out as elite level playmakers.  Then you have Ingram who has experience running an offense as the primary playmaker.  Then you top that off with risky but capable playmaker in Lance.  

Outside of its Centers I dont think this team has a one dimensional offensive player on it this year. 

Is there a team with this amount of quality playmakers that can play at the same time?  When this thing clicks I expect to see one of the most efficient and assist heavy offenses we've ever seen.  That's not even getting into how they will perform in transition.  They are going to be the best transition offense we've seen in recent history.  

I agree that this would be great in theory but I think you're excusing one vital point: the type of playmakers.

Lonzo is a great transition playmaker.

Rondo is a great P&R playmaker.

LeBron is a bit of both.

And one other point - we won't likely see Lonzo/Rondo/LeBron on the floor a lot, though I'd love that...so when Lonzo is in, LeBron will need to cherrypick and or get out on the break to let Lonzo maximize his potential while LeBron gets easy buckets.  Will that happen?

When Rondo is running the point, a good chunk of the P&R needs to be 1-4 (LeBron setting the pick for Rondo).  LeBron isn't exactly a roll guy and he's not a sniper either.  I see McGee playing well next to Rondo because he makes things fairly simple.   Outside of McGee, we don't have stereotypical roll guys so...

We do have a lot of playmakers but to maximize them, we either have to master the MDA/Kerr system or switch up our play style depending on who's running point.

Now if LeBron can successfully transition into Draymond Green's role, yeah...you're 100% correct.  That's entirely possible but I would need to see evidence of that before I bet on it.

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#7 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted September 17, 2018 - 06:47 PM

Keep it simple Master Yoda

Post LeBron, the moment he receives the inbound pass that should initiate cuts

• GCMD likes this

#8 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,244 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 18, 2018 - 12:04 AM

Keep it simple Master Yoda

Post LeBron, the moment he receives the inbound pass that should initiate cuts

That only works if LeBron has lots of shooters around him and can draw a double team.

LeBron would also have to be switched off onto a smaller player, ideally, through P&R, right back to what I was saying about using Rondo.  That would definitely initiate the post action you are describing.

Lonzo is such a great rebounder that if you have LeBron and Ingram on either wing leaking out, pretty hard to stop that fast break.  Even if Lonzo doesn't get the rebound, he whips passes full court so quickly, again, LeBron and Ingram would feast in the open court.   If we can improve to top 5-10 DEFENSIVELY, this will be a back-breaking weapon that we should build the starting unit around.

But posting LeBron is a good game plan.  If the Lakers have a good off-ball screen setter, it will work nicely the way you've laid it out.  If not, most defensive coaches worth their salt would be able to gameplan around that.

Remember, Draymond was a guy who made most of his passes facing the basket.  Draymond was the guy setting hard screens for Klay and Steph while cutting and being a secondary facilitator instead of being a back-to-the-basket primary facilitator like Pau.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're expecting LeBron's post presence to have this effect.  Ideally, I see LeBron more like this:

A seamless fit instead of a focal point.  It's a LOT easier to be a dominant team night in and night out if the entire team is a threat EQUALLY all of the time instead of building the offense around LeBron and asking the others to "step up" when the defense adjusts.

Pau was/is a unicorn.  LeBron is a different type of player.  LeBron would be BEST on the Lakers averaging 12apg than 27ppg but those apg have to come within the flow of the game, not as the focal point.  I think that's not only possible, it's probable.  If that happens, the Lakers finish the season near 60 wins and a top 2-3 team in the West.

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#9 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,532 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 20, 2018 - 09:26 PM

I agree. I think we will have at least 1-2 elite playmakers on the floor at all times and it'll be fun to see how it works out. I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but instead of Lance they should really have chased a finisher such as Wayne Ellington. Or similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users