#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,650 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 02, 2018 - 09:47 PM

Here it is.

Honestly i think Luol Deng should get a lot of credit for the way he's handled this whole situation. Mitch and Jim panicked and offered him (and Mozzy) a massive contract in an attempt to save their jobs. He would have been insane not to take it. It wasn't exactly a toxic situation, but messy for sure with Tank Commander Byron and all the young kids.

Then we see a shift in management and suddenly they wanted to go in another direction and he wasn't a part of it. For sure his decreased level of play was a major cause of that, but he didn't complain and still did his job. For that he deserves a lot of credit.

Great that he was willing to leave 7.5M on the table in order for both him and the Lakers to move on. Two veteran minimum deals at 1.6M / yr will bring him 3.2M, so it's really "just" 4M he's giving up in order to possibly get his career back on track.

I hope he does will in Minny.

#2 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,225 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted September 03, 2018 - 08:10 AM

Yeah no.

#3 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,600 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted September 03, 2018 - 10:03 AM

Let me first say...Dane I appreciate your insight and opinions (starting this thread was very classy), but there’s not a whole lot to be appreciative about Deng’s time as a Laker. If Jim and Mitch actually thought those Mozgov and Deng deals would save their jobs they were more clueless then I thought. To me those moves were more about sabotaging. No way they could’ve thought those 2 would actually contribute. Would’ve been bad enough to sign one, but BOTH!!!! Over one summer? Certified insanity. I personally would’ve had appreciation for Deng had he put in effort to be in shape and ready to contribute after signing that monster contract. I hope he doesn’t regret leaving that money on the table later in life.

Bye for now

#4 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted September 03, 2018 - 10:27 AM

I appreciate you took a discount and helped the team from Mitch and Jimbos errors! Good luck to you and don’t spend it all on one place!
  • MambaMentality likes this

#5 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,128 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted September 03, 2018 - 02:42 PM

i appreciate that he's gone.  

• Busty Bluth likes this

#6 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 524 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 03, 2018 - 05:32 PM

Good, good for him, I hope he wins 9 championships and makes $100 more million dollars wherever he ends up in the Galaxy.

Just not here.

Thank you Magic!

You really are Magic.

We're not gonna give Jimmy Butler a max contract by the way, GetOverIt.com

#7 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,408 posts

Posted September 03, 2018 - 07:43 PM

No reason for hate.

The guy was a professional and he played exactly the way he had before he was signed.  He did nothing wrong.

We didn't get our money's worth on the court but we had a great person who represented the Lakers well off the court.  I appreciate him for that.

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#8 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,591 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 03, 2018 - 09:15 PM

please close this thread

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,650 posts

Posted September 05, 2018 - 11:48 PM

No reason for hate.

The guy was a professional and he played exactly the way he had before he was signed.  He did nothing wrong.

We didn't get our money's worth on the court but we had a great person who represented the Lakers well off the court.  I appreciate him for that.

I think he fell off a cliff after he came to LA, but completely agree that he didn't do anything wrong.

#10 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,408 posts

Posted September 06, 2018 - 12:03 AM

I think he fell off a cliff after he came to LA, but completely agree that he didn't do anything wrong.

Really?  I don't think he was given a chance to play the role he's best at.  He's not garbage but he wasn't worth 16-18M either.  Our entire team was hot garbage when we got Deng and he (along with Moz) were symbols of the rift between Jeanie and Jim.  Had we paid an appropriate price for him (them) and had at least 1 rookie (Russell/Randle) live up to their draft position, things could have turned out differently.

I guess I didn't expect Deng to be a world-beater regardless of what we paid.

Edited by GCMD, September 06, 2018 - 12:04 AM.

tenor.gif

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,650 posts

Posted September 06, 2018 - 12:31 AM

Really?  I don't think he was given a chance to play the role he's best at.  He's not garbage but he wasn't worth 16-18M either.  Our entire team was hot garbage when we got Deng and he (along with Moz) were symbols of the rift between Jeanie and Jim.  Had we paid an appropriate price for him (them) and had at least 1 rookie (Russell/Randle) live up to their draft position, things could have turned out differently.

I guess I didn't expect Deng to be a world-beater regardless of what we paid.

He actually played pretty well in Miami the year before he signed with the Lakers and did deserve a decent contract because of it. You can argue that his poor play was due to his role, which i wont really question too much. But the fact of the matter is that his production and effectiveness dropped significantly across the board once he played for the Lakers.

#12 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 11,848 posts

Posted September 06, 2018 - 11:50 AM

I’m so sad :/

Lakers let him walk for nothing.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#13 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,408 posts

Posted September 06, 2018 - 07:30 PM

He actually played pretty well in Miami the year before he signed with the Lakers and did deserve a decent contract because of it. You can argue that his poor play was due to his role, which i wont really question too much. But the fact of the matter is that his production and effectiveness dropped significantly across the board once he played for the Lakers.

Did we have a comparable roster to MIA?  Or the role Deng needed?

Certain players play well in certain systems/role...Klay/Dray.  Take them out of that and they won't look as good.  That's how I see Deng.

tenor.gif

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,650 posts

Posted September 06, 2018 - 09:50 PM

Did we have a comparable roster to MIA?  Or the role Deng needed?

Certain players play well in certain systems/role...Klay/Dray.  Take them out of that and they won't look as good.  That's how I see Deng.

Just dont think an nba veteran like Deng is so role-dependent that his overall production falls off a cliff if he's introduced to another system. It's not like you're telling Ray Allen to suddently protect the rim. Would expect him to improve once he lands in Minny though, with Noah, Butler and Thibs in an environment that's familiar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users