• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#141 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,144 posts

Posted September 27, 2018 - 12:44 PM

You’d have to sign Klay. There isn’t a more perfect fit for this roster

If you went into 2019 and let’s say lonzo and Ingram really start to pan out you’re looking at a solid roster

Wagner
Lebron
Ingram
Thompson
Ball

With a small ball of

Lebron
Kuzma
Ingram
Klay
Lonzo

And then in 2020 if Anthony Davis comes up you add him and now you’re suddenly the best team in basketball for lebrons last two seasons
Posted Image

#142 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,568 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 27, 2018 - 06:37 PM

You 100% sign Klay if you can. I'm often puzzled by some of these debates. Why wouldn't you sign him?

Strawman.

No one suggested we shouldn't sign Klay.  The question was about him being a #1 and if Klay is worth a 4-5 year 190-200M max.  I do not think he is...either.

#143 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,821 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 27, 2018 - 07:58 PM

Strawman.

No one suggested we shouldn't sign Klay. The question was about him being a #1 and if Klay is worth a 4-5 year 190-200M max. I do not think he is...either.

Klay will get the max, by saying that you wouldn't max him you are basically saying that you wouldn't sign him. Unless you expect him to come here on a discount.

Lebron is on our roster, Klay doesn't need to be a #1 option.

Edited by KidRN, September 27, 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#144 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,752 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 27, 2018 - 09:15 PM

Klay will get the max, by saying that you wouldn't max him you are basically saying that you wouldn't sign him. Unless you expect him to come here on a discount.

People shouldn't correlate the max deal with being #1 option. Klay will probably get a max and if not it's because he decides to take a discount to stay with the current crew. A team such as Sacramento who isn't really a destination would probably be willing to throw a max at someone like Klay. Easily an overpay but nevertheless being able to get that kind of deal is what is going to set his market value.

#145 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,568 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 28, 2018 - 01:39 AM

Not a corollary...not even close.

I said Klay isn't worth the max.

I said we should try to spend that money on a guy who will be a future #1, not a guy who is a current and future #2.

Klay isn't the only option in 2019 nor is he the best.  Not wanting to spend Max Money on Klay isn't the same as not wanting him on this team.  That's an absurd connection.

If you want to make the case that it's the only way we can get Klay, I will make the case that there are at least 2 other guys that should turn us down before we even CONSIDER signing Klay at all...KD and Kawhi.  Even if that happens, we still shouldn't put our future in the hands of a guy who's best attribute is being a good complementary player.

People keep forgetting that guys like Dray, Klay and Barnes landed in the perfect spots.  Outside of GSW, they aren't worth NEARLY as much.

And don't forget that LeBron's final season of his current contract (guaranteed 3 years) coincides with Ingram's extension year...max out Klay and we will be stuck hoping 1 of the kids BECOME BETTER than Klay Thompson and they can lead this team as a #1...

People shouldn't correlate the max deal with being #1 option. Klay will probably get a max and if not it's because he decides to take a discount to stay with the current crew. A team such as Sacramento who isn't really a destination would probably be willing to throw a max at someone like Klay. Easily an overpay but nevertheless being able to get that kind of deal is what is going to set his market value.

You are correct.  If you have a current and future #1, it's fine to max out a #2.  LeBron is in his 16th year.  He's our current #1 but we do not currently have a future #1.  Maxing out a #2 before finding a future #1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

#146 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,752 posts

Posted September 28, 2018 - 02:53 AM

You are correct.  If you have a current and future #1, it's fine to max out a #2.  LeBron is in his 16th year.  He's our current #1 but we do not currently have a future #1.  Maxing out a #2 before finding a future #1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Not sure it's that simple. Generally i dont think salary and slot in the pecking order are all that correlated. For the Lakers, they have ONE max slot to fill out and it's not necessarily a money that can be spent later because by 2020 the young guys will start getting their contract extensions, which pretty much eat up all the cap space. For that reason, the Lakers pretty much are forced to spend their money next summer OR add talent through trades.  

I think they go hard after Durant or Kawhi next summer and both would be ideal. If that doesn't work it gets tough. Maybe they chase Butler, although he seems to be heading to Miami. In terms of fit i think Klay would be great as a low usage scorer, an elite shooter and versatile defender. Boogie, Middleton, Kemba etc. all could be options.

#147 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,296 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 28, 2018 - 07:23 AM

Anyone who think Dray andKlay and Harrison Barnes are the same level of player doesn't know the sport

#148 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Legend

• 10,052 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 28, 2018 - 07:43 AM

It is well-known that Kawhi and KD will be the primary targets. But if the Lakers miss out on them and instead get a chance to acquire Klay, they'll get him. 

Max deals aren't really defined for a #1 player anymore. It's all about market and player availability. 

• Persian Gulf likes this

#149 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,607 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted September 28, 2018 - 12:55 PM

Minnesota better not trade him to the Rockets for that garbo.

Bye for now

#150 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,144 posts

Posted September 28, 2018 - 01:30 PM

What bad team building that would be by the rockets lol. 3 ball hogs

Has anyone learned anything from the warriors?

The warriors not only built a team filled with talent but they built one with all guys who share the ball, move the ball, don’t hold onto it

Miami built 2 guys who handle and drive and a guy who played great off the ball

Spurs built a dynasty on guys who move the ball and share it

The lakers had one all time scorer and a bunch of guys who didn’t need the ball to be effective and passed like crazy in an offense that enphasized ball movement

The Celtics had no ball hogs in 2008. Bunch of guys who shared the ball

The rockets, let’s have Carmelo, harden, paul and butler? Lmao what bad team building. I don’t care what the “on paper” is
  • Persian Gulf and LACAS like this
Posted Image

#151 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 542 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted October 11, 2018 - 12:44 PM

What do y’all think about Butler kicking butt and calling people out during practice? I was especially surprised Butler + bench beat the starters. I mean the talent disparity alone...

#152 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,752 posts

Posted October 11, 2018 - 09:42 PM

What do y’all think about Butler kicking butt and calling people out during practice? I was especially surprised Butler + bench beat the starters. I mean the talent disparity alone...

Not really a fan of the way Butler handled this whole situation. One thing is to ask for a trade, but to call people out during practice isn't ok. I know he's saying he was emotional and angry, but it looks to me like it was a leverage move for him to make it impossible for them to bring him back. I might be wrong.

As much as i think Kyrie is overrated i think the way he left the Cavs was the way to go, by quietly and privately told the owners that he wanted them to trade him.

As for Butler i think it sucks that we dont have contracts that could make a deal like this possible.

• lakerfan98 likes this

#153 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,294 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted October 12, 2018 - 05:17 AM

8 pages on Butler? WTF... the dude isnt even a Laker, he can go kick rocks for all I care.

GO LAKERS!

• Xinxin, Jody Smokes and Clutch Factor like this

#154 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,821 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted October 12, 2018 - 09:33 AM

8 pages on Butler? WTF... the dude isnt even a Laker, he can go kick rocks for all I care.

GO LAKERS!

Never was a fan of his game. If nobody wanted Derozan, I'm not sure why they'd want Butler.
  • lakerfan98 and LACAS like this

#155 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,144 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 09:34 AM

Butler has the attitude of an elite player without the actual production. His stats are nice and all but when I watch him I hate his game

It’s not a skill set thing. It’s 100% a mental thing. I don’t think he knows how to play the right way
Posted Image

#156 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,448 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 12, 2018 - 10:58 AM

Well Jimmy is a better player.  Heart can't be measured and we know for a fact Derozan has none...soooooo

Never was a fan of his game. If nobody wanted Derozan, I'm not sure why they'd want Butler.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#157 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,448 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 12, 2018 - 11:01 AM

Jimmy is good, he's elite AT TIMES.  I just don't think he would work well in a system that excluding Lebron is pretty egalitarian.  

Im also not against him on the Lakers just not for a 4 year max deal.  I think he's pretty much better at everything we want out of Josh Hart.  

Butler has the attitude of an elite player without the actual production. His stats are nice and all but when I watch him I hate his game

It’s not a skill set thing. It’s 100% a mental thing. I don’t think he knows how to play the right way

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#158 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,144 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 12:13 PM

Jimmy is good, he's elite AT TIMES. I just don't think he would work well in a system that excluding Lebron is pretty egalitarian.

Im also not against him on the Lakers just not for a 4 year max deal. I think he's pretty much better at everything we want out of Josh Hart.

He is a good player, and I mean that in a skill and effectiveness sense

He can score very well, he plays stellar defense but his mentality on the court is very isolated. He kinda plays in his own world when I watch him
Posted Image

#159 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted October 12, 2018 - 01:04 PM

listening to him talk...sounds like a moron. this guy butler needs to get a grip.

#160 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,226 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted October 12, 2018 - 01:27 PM

Dude wants to act and be treated like he's a top 10 / franchise altering talent and he's not. Depending on who's #1 and the makeup of the rest of the team I think he could be the second best player on a championship squad. He'll never be the guy with KAT there from the Wolves pov so best to move on.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users