Bye for now

#42 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,153 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 28, 2018 - 09:54 AM

No too easy to give out max without proof he’ll play well here contingent on performance clauses

#43 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,153 posts

Posted August 28, 2018 - 09:54 AM

No wouldn’t touch that one Slenderman just getting started

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, August 28, 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#44 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,622 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 28, 2018 - 10:51 AM

We should hold on and see what we have come trade deadline. I’m willing to bet we won’t be trading any of our young pieces

ap1.png

#45 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Legend

• 10,046 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 28, 2018 - 01:32 PM

From Mid range he is about as efficient as Paul George. Would you give PG13 the max? I am on the mind that if PG is worth the max so is Butler. 

Honestly I didn't feel PG13 was worth the max either. However I do feel he is worth more of a portion than Butler. 

#46 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,385 posts

Posted August 28, 2018 - 03:29 PM

It’s concerning that every team Jimmy has been on has had some behind the scenes issues. Don’t think that’d happen here, but that’s still a negative mark.

George and Butler are in the same tier of top 10-15 guys, probably worth the same amount of money in the open market. Is anyone of them a #1 guy? Nope. #2? Absolutely, and I think PG functions better as a #2. The way the Lakers are constructed, they don’t need another guy who pounds the ball the way Butler does. PG is a better 3-point shooter and better off the ball...I think he’s a better fit on most teams, unless you need another ballhandler, in which case, JB makes more sense. There’s an argument for him being better overall. Just not a big fan of the fit. And fit is everything.

In a vacuum, and as irrelevant as this is now, I’d rather have PG. Less drama, more durable, he’s consistently played 75-82 games in his prime whereas Butler seems to be injured every year. I also don’t have issues about how his game will age. Those Thibs minutes could catch up to him.

I think the Lakers are still favorites for Kawhi, so all this probably means nothing. Outside of him, I have some issues with adding anyone else at the max. Think it bodes well for LA that Bron and Kawhi are communicating and have worked out together. It was reported that this was in the works for a while. Who knows what else they’ve been talking about and what’s been relayed to Magic and Pelinka all summer.

#47 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,218 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 28, 2018 - 05:12 PM

Honestly, Kawhi coming in next year is perfect.  Gives LeBron time to get the kids and himself going, the kids get their touches and learn how to play with a big time player, the Laker organization can see who on these one year deals are worth keeping, then you add in the finishing touch.

• -Wade-, DanishLakerFan, BleedPurple&Gold and 2 others like this

#48 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,377 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 28, 2018 - 06:16 PM

Yep perfect scenario.  They are set up literally for the next 6 years as contenders if that happens.  I'd hope KD stays in GS if that happens as well.  I want the Lakers to be the team that dethrones them.  Before signing Kawhi would be even sweeter.  

Honestly, Kawhi coming in next year is perfect.  Gives LeBron time to get the kids and himself going, the kids get their touches and learn how to play with a big time player, the Laker organization can see who on these one year deals are worth keeping, then you add in the finishing touch.

• fido and -Wade- like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#49 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 28, 2018 - 09:26 PM

Yep perfect scenario.  They are set up literally for the next 6 years as contenders if that happens.  I'd hope KD stays in GS if that happens as well.  I want the Lakers to be the team that dethrones them.  Before signing Kawhi would be even sweeter.  

Pretty much.

Next summer the Lakers are in position to acquire one of Kawhi, KD and JImmy Butler, who all would be awesome #2 options. You could throw Klay Thompson into that group as well. The next tier of guys include Kemba, Middleton, Boogie etc. as the 2nd tier guys.

Best case scenario would be to add Kawhi and then beat the Warriors with the guys we have, but if we added KD we would be in much better position to win it all (given that half the value in getting KD is removing him from GS).

Butler is interesting as he'd be a really good #2 option as well.  

#50 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,408 posts

Posted August 28, 2018 - 09:37 PM

Swap Kawhi with PG13 and the above 3 posts could have been made all of last year.

I'm not arguing against the premise.  I'm pointing out that it's not that simple.  We should not assume any of those things will happen...just as likely that none of that happens.

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#51 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 28, 2018 - 11:03 PM

We should not assume any of those things will happen...just as likely that none of that happens.

Do you believe that the odds that Lakers land one of Kawhi, KD, Butler or Klay are the same as the odds that they dont get one of those guys?

Edited by DLN, August 28, 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#52 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,359 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 29, 2018 - 08:02 AM

Honestly I didn't feel PG13 was worth the max either. However I do feel he is worth more of a portion than Butler. 

Fair enough. I see them in the same tier, and I think fit and preference really separate them more than ability. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#53 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,191 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 29, 2018 - 11:54 AM

I want KD.... Especially with an aging Bron

#54 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,377 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 29, 2018 - 05:50 PM

You're also assuming Lebron comes to LA if said moves are made last year.  I think you really keep glossing over the fact that part of the reason Lebron chose was the young players they had, the culture being installed and the way these guys have been developed to play.  

Trading for PG last year may result in the team being not nearly as good due to lack of depth that would not have been in LA thus making the team less attractive.  We also dont know if the year last year under PG13 w/o Ball or Ingram (one or both of them would have been traded) and picks 26,27 (Kuz and Hart) would have even been enough to keep PG in house. 

If PG is traded for the reported package wanted the starting lineup last year is Brook/Randle/PG/Clarkson...im not even sure who they fill out the rest of the roster with. KCP isnt a thing if they absorb PG's contract.  

Swap Kawhi with PG13 and the above 3 posts could have been made all of last year.

I'm not arguing against the premise.  I'm pointing out that it's not that simple.  We should not assume any of those things will happen...just as likely that none of that happens.

Edited by Jody Smokes, August 29, 2018 - 05:51 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#55 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,153 posts

Posted August 29, 2018 - 06:09 PM

Let’s see what we have before tossing anyone so soon still time

#56 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,191 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 29, 2018 - 06:24 PM

In terms of fit
Lonzo
Klay
Ingram
Bron
Is seamless

#57 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,408 posts

Posted August 29, 2018 - 10:48 PM

Do you believe that the odds that Lakers land one of Kawhi, KD, Butler or Klay are the same as the odds that they dont get one of those guys?

The odds of me buying a Ferrari, Bugatti or a Ford Truck next year isn't the same as me not buying any of those either.

The odds of any of those players becoming Lakers next year are different from the other and they all depend on what 29 other teams decide.  I don't think having cap space is the most important factor to ANY player's free agency.

PG13 could have gotten the max from us - we didn't get a meeting.

Cousins could have gotten the max from us - we didn't wanna.

Randle could have gotten at least as much as he got from NOP - we passed.

You're also assuming Lebron comes to LA if said moves are made last year.  I think you really keep glossing over the fact that part of the reason Lebron chose was the young players they had, the culture being installed and the way these guys have been developed to play.  

Trading for PG last year may result in the team being not nearly as good due to lack of depth that would not have been in LA thus making the team less attractive.  We also dont know if the year last year under PG13 w/o Ball or Ingram (one or both of them would have been traded) and picks 26,27 (Kuz and Hart) would have even been enough to keep PG in house. 

If PG is traded for the reported package wanted the starting lineup last year is Brook/Randle/PG/Clarkson...im not even sure who they fill out the rest of the roster with. KCP isnt a thing if they absorb PG's contract.  

Wrong...most people had no idea LeBron was coming to LA.  We HOPED but most thought it was a long shot and DEFINITELY ONLY if we landed PG13 FIRST.

I'm not glossing over anything.  I never discussed LeBron's motivations nor did it factor into my response.  You're moving the goal posts.

I said your posts could have been made about PG13 last year with the same assumptions being assumed as almost fact.  If you want to continue making the same assumptions, go for it.  I just pointed out that it doesn't work that way and we have recent data to dispute the probability of your assumptions.

So this isn't about what I think.  Please don't try to shift this into "my opinion vs your opinion".  Argue against the facts or defend your suppositions/prognostications/assumptions.  I'm just the messenger.

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#58 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,770 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted August 29, 2018 - 11:57 PM

You guys are all over the place. People were saying KD could leave GS to get his own team but now he's going to join forces with Bron? That's a pretty huge difference.
  • GCMD, bfc1125roy and Jody Smokes like this

#59 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 526 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted August 30, 2018 - 12:16 AM

A trade for Butler, unless the Wolves will take Deng (they will not) and just 1 of Lonzo, Hart, Ingram (the Lakers will not trade Kuzma), it's just not going to happen right now.

And long term, what's the point? He's going to want near max money and a 4 year committment.

Let's pretend he is an unrestricted free agent now. Will he sign for just 2 years and $44M?

Edited by dbtbandit67, August 30, 2018 - 12:17 AM.

#60 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 526 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted August 30, 2018 - 12:18 AM

And by the way, after this season KD ain't taking anymore paycuts.

He's more likely to go to New York with Porzingis and maybe Kyrie too than take another short term deal and a paycut.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users