199 replies to this topic

#181 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,652 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 25, 2018 - 05:55 PM

Butler is a terrible fit in Houston in my opinion.

I'm sure they'll make it interesting and his defense would most certainly help, but his style of play just doesn't mesh well.

Disagree. You replace Ariza with just as versatile defender and a better scorer (slightly worse shooter from 3). That's dangerous, and the Warriors/western conference should be concerned.

#182 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,961 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 25, 2018 - 06:15 PM

Disagree. You replace Ariza with just as versatile defender and a better scorer (slightly worse shooter from 3). That's dangerous, and the Warriors/western conference should be concerned.

Butler is a very versatile player and a great perimeter defender but he's not necessarily the 3 and D type guy Ariza is.  He can hit a few long range jumpers every now and then but he's much more effective and efficient when used as an iso scorer.

#183 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,899 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 25, 2018 - 06:39 PM

Butler would be a huge upgrade over HR's other options though.  The defense needs help.  I think he moves the needle if he goes there.

#184 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,110 posts

Posted October 25, 2018 - 07:05 PM

Butler is by far the most overrated player in basketball. He’s fools gold. Warriors have no concern. They still are by far a better team

Butler is a chemistry nuclear bomb.

He’s one of those rare players who make players worse around him offensively

Edited by last stand 2.0, October 25, 2018 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

#185 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,652 posts

Posted October 25, 2018 - 09:26 PM

Butler is a very versatile player and a great perimeter defender but he's not necessarily the 3 and D type guy Ariza is.  He can hit a few long range jumpers every now and then but he's much more effective and efficient when used as an iso scorer.

Butler is by far the most overrated player in basketball. He’s fools gold. Warriors have no concern. They still are by far a better team

Butler is a chemistry nuclear bomb.

He’s one of those rare players who make players worse around him offensively

Part of it assumes Butler accepts a reduced role in the Houston system. If he can play like a rich man's Ariza, he will profit. Don't discount Butlers 3pt shooting. There's a difference in taking open 3s when others are creating for you, versus having to be the primary option on offense. 

Regarding isolation play: that's not a bad thing. Look to the Houston offense. Their system is predicated on exploiting mismatches via isolation off the PnR switch. They have 2 guys who can do that in Harden and Paul. Imagine now they get a third in Butler to take pressure off them. Them acquiring a deadly isolation player is a BAD thing.

Butler isn't a superstar player. But he's still a very good perimeter defender and above average scorer. Giving that to the Rockets, who lost a few key guys this offseason, won't be good for any other team.

• GCMD and LakerGeezer like this

#186 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,206 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted October 25, 2018 - 09:33 PM

If you can Get this Kawhi you do that first and AD

#187 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,110 posts

Posted October 25, 2018 - 09:38 PM

Part of it assumes Butler accepts a reduced role in the Houston system. If he can play like a rich man's Ariza, he will profit. Don't discount Butlers 3pt shooting. There's a difference in taking open 3s when others are creating for you, versus having to be the primary option on offense.

Regarding isolation play: that's not a bad thing. Look to the Houston offense. Their system is predicated on exploiting mismatches via isolation off the PnR switch. They have 2 guys who can do that in Harden and Paul. Imagine now they get a third in Butler to take pressure off them. Them acquiring a deadly isolation player is a BAD thing.

Butler isn't a superstar player. But he's still a very good perimeter defender and above average scorer. Giving that to the Rockets, who lost a few key guys this offseason, won't be good for any other team.

I don’t think you can teach an old dog new tricks. He’s a legitimate chemistry destroyer

He’s an awful teammate

Sure maybe he plays nice in Houston but even if he does they aren’t beating golden state. The warriors still have the better players. Last year curry and Durant weren’t healthy.

I don’t like butler. Wouldn’t want him here, they can have him. He’s talented but that doesn’t mean anything to me when everywhere a player goes there’s massive problems
Posted Image

#188 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,652 posts

Posted October 25, 2018 - 09:49 PM

I don’t think you can teach an old dog new tricks. He’s a legitimate chemistry destroyer

He’s an awful teammate

Sure maybe he plays nice in Houston but even if he does they aren’t beating golden state. The warriors still have the better players. Last year curry and Durant weren’t healthy.

I don’t like butler. Wouldn’t want him here, they can have him. He’s talented but that doesn’t mean anything to me when everywhere a player goes there’s massive problems

Don't think it's fair to say Curry and Durant were significantly injured. If anything, Iggy being out hurt them way more since they were forced to play Looney for big minutes. But as I said in the other thread, the Rockets strategy was developed as a response to what they Warriors do defensively (switch the screen and roll). The Rockets pretty much take a gamble that Harden can score on Curry 1 on 1 more often than not. The Warriors developed a new trick called scram switching as a counter to the counter and it ultimately paid off, so we'll see what happens.

Funnily enough, defensively, the Rockets also switched everything, killing the Warriors motion offense. The right response to that is to basically pull what Houston did, isolate your best player and let him go to work. The Warriors did that with Durant in the post, but when he was off for a game or two, he got immensely criticized for bogging down the offense, and it was causing chemistry problems. It remains to be seen how they adjust.

#189 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,899 posts

Posted October 26, 2018 - 07:26 AM

He’s an awful teammate

And Chris Paul is a good team mate?  Ask a few guys who played for the Clipps what they think.  And why did Ariza  and Moute leave HR to play for non-contenders? 

Want to talk about Melo's locker room presence?  

Harden is not exactly Mr. Congeniality himself.

In other words, Butler would fit in just fine in Houston.

#190 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,961 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 26, 2018 - 07:46 AM

And Chris Paul is a good team mate?  Ask a few guys who played for the Clipps what they think.  And why did Ariza  and Moute leave HR to play for non-contenders? 

Want to talk about Melo's locker room presence?  

Harden is not exactly Mr. Congeniality himself.

In other words, Butler would fit in just fine in Houston.

Ariza and Moute left for financial reasons.  Houston didn't have enough money to offer either of them even half of what they got.

Butler is a solid player, but he's vastly overrated.  Sure he brings a certain level of toughness, great defense, and some scoring ability in between the perimeter, but if you really think he moves the needle for that team and is the missing link, then I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all transpires if he goes there.  

Butler was in a pretty ideal scenario with the Wolves.  He had the chance to shine next to what many view as one of the best and most versatile big men in the game in KAT, the two just never seemed to mesh and the off-court issues became evident.

I actually want the Rockets to acquire Butler because that way, they'd give up a plethora of picks and assets and will eventually A) be forced to offer a max contract to a player whom I view isn't of that tier, or B) watch Butler end up leaving for another team in free agency.

#191 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 3,138 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 26, 2018 - 07:48 AM

Houston better not get butler
  • MambaMentality likes this
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#192 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,206 posts

Posted October 26, 2018 - 12:44 PM

Houston’s offer is substantial Minnie should take it as it sets them up for the future. Not s good fit for the Lakers as mentioned, rather see Kawhi and AD if you’re asking me!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, October 26, 2018 - 12:45 PM.

#193 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,523 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 26, 2018 - 08:08 PM

Jimmy Butler in HOU?  Depends on what they give up.  Guys slept on Kyrie to BOS...in the right situation, Butler in HOU is a game changer.  4 guys who can slash, pass or score is kinda scary.

And MDA is a genius offensively.  Lots of people bash him for the defensive end and that's fair but when it comes to figuring out how to integrate different skills and skillsets into his offense?  He's one of the best in history.

Hate to say it but as long as HOU doesn't have to give up Cappella, CP3 or Harden, they will be much better if they add Butler.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#194 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 26, 2018 - 08:25 PM

Pringles did a heck of a job with Dwight.
  • Aykut Purde likes this

#195 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,110 posts

Posted October 26, 2018 - 08:46 PM

Kyrie and butler are apples and oranges. Kyrie has never been a bad chemistry guy or teammate

And he dominated the nba finals

They’re night and day
Posted Image

#196 Aykut Purde

Aykut Purde

Rookie

• 620 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted October 27, 2018 - 12:49 AM

Pringles did a heck of a job with Dwight.

I was here to write this. But again Pau should share the blame, that mofo averaged the best percantage in the NBA for a year behing 3 point line and all he did was [expletive]ing about inside touches. Pau and Dwight on paper is very scary. Well, we all know how it ended...

Edited by Aykut Purde, October 27, 2018 - 12:49 AM.

• MambaMentality likes this

Welcome Bron.

#197 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,899 posts

Posted October 27, 2018 - 07:33 AM

Ariza and Moute left for financial reasons.  Houston didn't have enough money to offer either of them even half of what they got.

Butler is a solid player, but he's vastly overrated.  Sure he brings a certain level of toughness, great defense, and some scoring ability in between the perimeter, but if you really think he moves the needle for that team and is the missing link, then I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all transpires if he goes there.  

Butler was in a pretty ideal scenario with the Wolves.  He had the chance to shine next to what many view as one of the best and most versatile big men in the game in KAT, the two just never seemed to mesh and the off-court issues became evident.

I actually want the Rockets to acquire Butler because that way, they'd give up a plethora of picks and assets and will eventually A) be forced to offer a max contract to a player whom I view isn't of that tier, or B) watch Butler end up leaving for another team in free agency.

Not the whole story on Ariza.  I am sure the $ had alot to do with it too.

https://rocketswire....star-treatment/

As far as Moute, the Rockets could have easily offered him their them- available MLE and chose not to.  he actually took LESS from the Clippers.

I dont care of HR acquires Butler or not.  If they do, they may be competitive for a year or so, then CP3's injury frequency will increase, Harden will slow down etc.  Their window even with Butler is not very long.

#198 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,206 posts

Posted October 27, 2018 - 08:22 AM

They are offering “4” number one picks crazy imo

#199 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,523 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 27, 2018 - 10:48 PM

Kyrie and butler are apples and oranges. Kyrie has never been a bad chemistry guy or teammate

And he dominated the nba finals

They’re night and day

Kyrie?  Same guy who couldn't stand getting to the NBA Finals every year so he whined until he got out?  Ok.

Butler's been the NBA Finals?  Nope.

Like I said when Kyrie was traded...depends on what they swap.  In the right situation, Butler is still a top 10-15 (or 20) player.  Like him or not, he'd be the 2nd best player on this team and that's facts.  Dude can ball.

CP3, Harden and Butler is a problem.  We wouldn't be able to get past them.

• bfc1125roy and LakerGeezer like this

#200 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,436 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 28, 2018 - 03:53 PM

Butler on Houston gives them what they need.  I just don't think that trade goes down.  

• GCMD likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users