Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on the GOAT debate and more

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted August 03, 2018 - 10:04 PM

‘The reason there is no such thing as the GOAT is because every player plays under unique circumstances’

By Marc J. Spears

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar retired from the NBA almost 30 years ago and has often been regarded as the greatest basketball player of all time.

Abdul-Jabbar is the NBA’s all-time leading scorer and a six-time NBA champion as a player. The inventor of the skyhook also is a six-time NBA MVP, a 19-time All-Star, an 11-time All-Defensive team selection and a 15-time All-NBA selection.

In the 1990s, six-time NBA champion Michael Jordan played his way into the GOAT (greatest of all time) conversation. And in recent years, three-time NBA champion LeBron James entered the discussion, with Abdul-Jabbar often forgotten.

Abdul-Jabbar has some thoughts on the GOAT debate.

These GOAT discussions are fun distractions while sitting around waiting for the pizza to be served,” Abdul-Jabbar told The Undefeated. “But they’re on a par with ‘Which superpower would you want most: flight or invisibility?’ Whether I’m included or not in anyone’s list doesn’t matter. I played my hardest and I helped my teammates. That’s the most important thing I walked away with.

“The reason there is no such thing as the GOAT is because every player plays under unique circumstances. We played different positions, under different rules, with different teammates, with different coaches. Every player has to adapt to their circumstances and find a way to excel. This isn’t Highlander. There can be more than one.”

Read more on: https://theundefeate...ing-the-lakers/

It is a classic Kareem interview with a few nuggets in it.

• GCMD, -Wade-, DLN and 1 other like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#2 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 03, 2018 - 10:08 PM

I agree.

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#3 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted August 04, 2018 - 05:31 AM

This is why he's in my top 3 tier in that other thread along w those 2.

BTW i watched that show from 2006 of Larry Bird's 50 best plays to celebrate his then 50th birthday. Strongly recommended to anyone wanting to see some exquisite lightning quick unparalleled decision making.

Its why he's up their as one of my favorites all time even though i hated the mofo as i was living through sports greatest rivalry at the time and maybe all time.

BTW for any old timers here...LeBron has ALREADY played more seasons than Bird and he's still going strong.

And now he's our guy!

Cool

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 04, 2018 - 10:49 AM

Bird at his best better than Bron imo.
He was essentially Bron with a shot.
Not the athleticism obviously just the trip dub forward

#5 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted August 04, 2018 - 04:59 PM

Bird at his best better than Bron imo.
He was essentially Bron with a shot.
Not the athleticism obviously just the trip dub forward

I grew up watching Bird.  LeBron is not quite as polished but Bird was NEVER as dominant as LeBron.

tenor.gif

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,703 posts

Posted August 04, 2018 - 07:28 PM

But in those days it wasn't about individual dominance. But what was Bird's best games? I bet his best 10 performances and LeBron's best ten performances are right there with 1 another.

I like the all time 2nd team better than the consensus all time first team.

You can have
Magic
MJ
Bron
Timmy
Kareem

I get Stockton or West or Kidd or Isiah or ...
Kobe
Bird
Karl or Chuck or KG
Shaq or Wilt or Bill R.

West
Kobe
Bird
KG
Russell

I love that team.

#7 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted August 05, 2018 - 04:15 PM

But in those days it wasn't about individual dominance. But what was Bird's best games? I bet his best 10 performances and LeBron's best ten performances are right there with 1 another.

I like the all time 2nd team better than the consensus all time first team.

You can have
Magic
MJ
Bron
Timmy
Kareem

I get Stockton or West or Kidd or Isiah or ...
Kobe
Bird
Karl or Chuck or KG
Shaq or Wilt or Bill R.

West
Kobe
Bird
KG
Russell

I love that team.

I agree that basketball has gone away from the essence of the sport but I don't think that has any bearing on what we're discussing.  I based my opinion on their talent, not the things that are affected by eras.

And Bird was as cold-blooded as they come.  He was a guy that could and would drop 40 on you any given night.  He wasn't just about passing.  He averaged 24ppg...he had 3 seasons over 28ppg...

For reference, Kobe averaged 25ppg for his career...

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

#8 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,512 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 06, 2018 - 08:43 AM

this goat debater has always been stupid

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#9 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 21, 2018 - 11:00 PM

I agree with Kareem here can be no GOAT!

#10 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 22, 2018 - 04:08 AM

I agree with Kareem.

I like a tier system a lot better, because then we dont have to decide whether to put Kobe 5th or 9th.

My two top tiers are:

Tier 1: MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Lebron

Tier 2: Magic, Bird, Kobe, BigO, Duncan

For a player to reach a certain tier he has to have a case against all the other guys in that same tier.

#11 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 1,042 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted August 22, 2018 - 06:10 AM

I get where he’s coming from. I can agree to a certain extent. I still think you can make the case for goat for one player (MJ), but I’m okay with what Kareem said

#12 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,598 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted August 22, 2018 - 07:51 AM

The 4 things that I believe most people consider when determining the GOAT is skill, accomplishments, dominance, and era.

When all those are considered, nobody comes close to MJ. As far a pure basketball skill goes, I think that there are players that have been on his level but due to the era that they played in, they simply couldn't match his accomplishments whether they be individual or team.

I believe that based solely on pure skill, Hakeem is top 3 but I never see him mentioned that high. Bird is another player that I feel is underrated. Nash is another player that comes to mind, his defense was questionable but he is arguably the greatest offensive player/highest bbiq player to ever step foot on a basketball court. I honestly cringe when people put Steph above him.

Edited by KidRN, August 22, 2018 - 07:56 AM.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,703 posts

Posted August 22, 2018 - 08:06 PM

Wilt was most dominant ever. But he is often critiqued for being too big for his era.
Meanwhile Shaq and Bron don't get critiqued for having obvious physical advantages over every individual they played against.

Nash was a great shooter but his high usage didnt help his team win.

Whrn Nash was barely beating the Lakers in his absolute prime. Can you imagine replacing Smush and Kwamr from our team for Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas.
Then trading Mihm for Amare.

Nash aint better than Kidd or IT or Stockton or Cp3

#14 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 832 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted September 14, 2018 - 12:45 PM

IMO, Kareem is the GOAT, but he’s rarely mentioned.
No one else dominated through every level of their career.
I also think Magic could be easily argued for. What he did in his final game as a rookie has still never been equaled.
I am one who finds those who want to call LaBron’s game “like Magic’s,” laughable. I’m not bagging on LaBron, I just don’t think their games are close.
I do not believe Jordan is the GOAT - and don’t get me wrong, I realize that is blasphemy for many.
That is not to say that he wasn’t amazing. He was.
I don’t think people acknowledge how much expansion changed the league in the 90s.
There’s also the quitting/suspension thing.
Again, blasphemy I know. Just my two cents.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users