42 replies to this topic

#1 DLN

DLN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,494 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 03, 2018 - 01:26 AM

In case anyone forgot Luol Deng is still on the team. He hardly played last season and the season before he played a bit, but weren't any good which werent a surprise given that we had a bad team. The year before that he was quite effective for the Heat.

I almost feel bad for the guy if it werent for the fact that he's earning 18M and 18.8M these next two years.

My question is whether he has anything left in the tank. I know he wants to play, which he's said recently, but is there a role for him?

I think there is and i think it's in the Lakers best interest to try and revamp his career. Perhaps as a small-ball 5 where his defensive instincts will be an advantage. If he plays well, i think a mid-season trade is far more easy to pull off.

Thoughts?

Edited by DanishLakerFan, August 03, 2018 - 01:26 AM.

#2 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted August 03, 2018 - 06:04 AM

Think he didn't play at all after that first game of season iirc

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,861 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 03, 2018 - 07:18 AM

I really don't think he is even a NBA level player anymore. I get that hes all sad that hes now seen as one of the awful contract guys but he signed the contract and decided to put in no work afterwards. Lakers played brewer last season plenty so this whole 'lakers benched him for youth' stuff doesn't work for me. He just is bad and lakers were trying to have him save face by saying it was to develop the younger guys. 

• lakerfan98 likes this

#4 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,969 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 03, 2018 - 08:07 AM

That first game Deng looked terrible. Constantly getting beat on defense, missing an open layup, and just looking lost in general. 

He's no longer the defender he once was. It just doesn't make sense to play him when we have younger, quicker guys that can produce more in less minutes. 

#5 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,996 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted August 03, 2018 - 10:10 AM

I think 2017 was a combination of age and effort. Looked like he was one step slow but also wasn't trying to give it his all for a lottery team. Playing him at SF was pretty stupid as well but we were loaded at the 4 so whatever. Every 6 months or so I see an article about how he still wants to play and how the Lakers won't give him a chance and consider him retired etc and to that I say tough dukie. Everybody saying he's being such a pro about the situation and Bogut tweeting he's a great teammate that can still help a team. If he could help the team he would be getting minutes, period. And if he's being such a pro why do I keep reading about how dissatisfied he is? You want to be a pro and prove you can still contribute then opt the f out and sign with another team. Otherwise keep your mouth shut, cash your check, and be the pro everyone claims you are.

Edited by lakerfan98, August 03, 2018 - 12:12 PM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#6 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,996 posts

Posted August 03, 2018 - 10:22 AM

Teams were rightfully asking for one of our young guys and pick(s) for Deng but next summer I expect that asking price to drop significantly. If OKC can ship out Melo's 27 mil and a protected 2022 pick for Shroder IMO a future pick plus 5 mil cash should get the job done. The money offsets some of his expiring contract so it's really like asking a rebuilding team to take on 13 mil of dead money for a first round pick which I consider entirely reasonable. Throw in a second rounder if it's absolutely necessary. More teams with cap space next summer so more teams capable of taking on a salary dump. Plus whatever team takes on his contract is going to end up agreeing to a buyout with him so that's even less financial committment.

Edited by lakerfan98, August 03, 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,861 posts

Posted August 03, 2018 - 01:19 PM

Dengs stats as laker in 2016 btw

56 games
26.5 mpg
7.6 pts
38.7 fg%
30.9 3-pt %
5.3 rebounds
1.3 assists
0.9 steals
0.4 blocks

#8 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,221 posts

Posted August 03, 2018 - 01:36 PM

I’ll say this about Deng. While it looks like he’s done, he was very productive in Miami for their playoff run before being signed here. As a stretch 4. Lakers played him at the 3 in 2016 and on opening night. I honestly am not sure why. If a random Laker fan on the internet can see that Luol can’t play the 3, then I’m not sure why the coaching staff can’t, but that’s what they went with.

There’s no realistic path for him to get minutes on this team. Not even garbage time. If he wants to play that bad, he’ll take a buyout. But would anyone here walk away from a guaranteed $37M? Thought so.

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,644 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 03, 2018 - 04:01 PM

http://www.hoopsstat...worst/17/13/201

He had some really good games his 1st season.

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,644 posts

Posted August 03, 2018 - 04:03 PM

22/5
13/12/2/2/2

#11 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,771 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 03, 2018 - 04:24 PM

Just give the man 5 minutes here and there. They paying him, may as well. Get his trade value up if there is any left

#12 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,331 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted August 03, 2018 - 07:58 PM

They signed him AND Mozgov the same offseason. People here even liked the move lol I remember.

Bye for now

#13 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,996 posts

Posted August 03, 2018 - 11:55 PM

A lot of NBA caliber players can have 10 "good" games in an 82 game season if given the minutes. Especially on a garbage team.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#14 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,342 posts

Posted August 04, 2018 - 12:00 AM

Deng can contribute in a role fitted for him. We wanted him to run on the 5th gear and be a spot up shooter which he isn't. It is a waste no matter how you look at it, for him and for us. So I hope with more stabled roster we can at least use him sparingly.

fXlFKv8.gif

#15 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted August 04, 2018 - 05:22 AM

Ramona addressed this some on the jump yesterday end of show.

Last year she said there just wasn't a role for him as it was imperative to get new guys minutes to develop their growth and Luol didn't want to accept a role where he might play a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

What Ramona couldn't understand though is after all our guys started going down to injury and missing the remainder of season why Deng didn't get minutes at that point rather than guys we called up from the YMCA (my choice of word)

• FranklinPeanuts and Biggums like this

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#16 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,887 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 04, 2018 - 10:05 AM

If there was any thought on playing a Deng it’s got to be at the 4 , 3’s are too fast for him at this point. And Andre Ingram was no YMCA guy either!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, August 04, 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#17 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,861 posts

Posted August 04, 2018 - 12:04 PM

He does not look like a NBA player here. So out of shape.

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,644 posts

Posted August 04, 2018 - 12:20 PM

Small ball Center?

#19 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,331 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted August 04, 2018 - 12:34 PM

He does not look like a NBA player here. So out of shape.

big 3 shape? He’s definitely not staying in game ready shape he looks 20-30 overweight. Deng if you read this I can get you in your best shape ever!

Bye for now

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,644 posts

Posted August 05, 2018 - 07:41 AM

He wants out now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users