224 replies to this topic

#201 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

@WeCarpeDiem

• 4,816 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted November 23, 2018 - 09:26 AM

Back in the conversation for me. He has warmed up.
Still i say having to pace yourself is a sign of decline. Its just relatively slight.
Defense has improved too.

he knows his body than anyone else so if he wants to pace himself through out the season instead going hard in each game. 

its like 2013 kobe. 

#202 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 940 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 28, 2018 - 11:58 AM

When Walton is fired, I hope the Lakers pick up a coach who can tell Bronz to STFU.  As great as he is he is a cancer.  Don't even bring up his 8 Finals in the weak ECF. Now we know why we see these stupid ISO plays at the end of games. 

Anonymous scouts say LeBron James has been ignoring play calls from Luke Walton

You probably don’t want to be around when my patiences runs out. I’m serious.

That quote from LeBron James sent shockwaves through the Los Angeles Lakers fanbase. What might it mean? Was James’ patience wearing thin with the kids? Did Luke Walton not meet his expectations? Well, if what Brian Windhorst of ESPN is reporting is true, we might have the beginnings of our answer to those questions.

James has a certain brand of basketball that he prefers playing. It’s slow, methodical, and features him with the ball as often as possible. It all makes sense given his various talents and how tremendous he is at those things, so as much as Walton might have wanted a free-wheeling, run-and-gun style of play, he can’t control how the guys on the court actually play, as some anonymous scouts pointed out to Windhorst:

The scouts also have noticed that when James is running the point, he rarely looks toward the bench to receive playcalls from coach Luke Walton. Even when he has seen them, the scouts say, he ignores them and runs the play he prefers. Walton has adjusted, and now when James is running the show, Walton will typically just let him call the game. This probably shouldn’t be considered a slight -- it’s just James being James.

That qualifier about this not being a slight of Walton aside, what this makes clear is that it’s a helluva lot easier for someone like James to say they're willing to forego how they’ve played for their whole career before the games start or when things are going well. But it’s when people encounter adversity that they tend to show or revert to their true nature.

To this point, on the season, the Lakers have played with a pace of 104.39 with James on the court. Over the last six games, though (since Rajon Rondo broke his hand), that number has dipped to just over 100. Given how poorly the Lakers execute in the halfcourt, this is probably the foundation of a lot of their recent issues.

The Lakers haven’t played well since Rondo’s injury, and it should come as no surprise this report drops not necessarily as a result, but not coincidentally, either.

Where things get tricky here is that this roster was put together in the hopes that LeBron would live up to his word and grant some creative responsibilities not only to Walton as he designed an offense, but to those he shares the court with. If this was going to be the result all along, then the Lakers should have focused on surrounding James with the shooters he’s grown accustomed to playing with anyway. Playmakers are only so useful if they're just standing in the corner watching James make plays.

As things stand, not including James, only Rondo is shooting better than 40 percent from three-point range. Josh Hart is close at 39 percent, but things get fairly ugly from there. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has shot better recently, but he’s still only at 31 percent; Kyle Kuzma is still ice-cold to start the year at 29 percent. These were the guys who were supposed to provide whatever little spacing the Lakers were hoping to come by, but if they aren’t hitting consistently, the Lakers simply don’t have the shooting elsewhere to make up for that.

All this said, there still is plenty of time to turn things around if LeBron can buy back in (or maybe even if he doesn't). 20 games is enough to have a decent sample size and understand what’s best for the team moving forward. If Walton can make those adjustments and the team can get to some of the things that made them successful pre-Rondo-injury (i.e. running).

Until then, though, the Lakers are going to continue to trudge along, winning ugly or losing outright, at James’ preferred pace.

• MambaMentality likes this

#203 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 28, 2018 - 03:25 PM

When Walton is fired, I hope the Lakers pick up a coach who can tell Bronz to STFU.  As great as he is he is a cancer.  Don't even bring up his 8 Finals in the weak ECF. Now we know why we see these stupid ISO plays at the end of games. 

It's expected of players of this caliber. Only coaches who can contain the likes of LeBron is Phil Jackson or Popovich, neither that are attainable.

#204 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 29, 2018 - 11:51 AM

None of them would be able to either.  Phil eventually let Kobe be Kobe.  Ehhh we dont have any history on Pop dealing with players that didn't fall in line.  

I think it's just something that comes with a player of that caliber.  Luke is going to have to figure it out this season.  I wish he had better assistants and not a team of his AZ homies. 

It's expected of players of this caliber. Only coaches who can contain the likes of LeBron is Phil Jackson or Popovich, neither that are attainable.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#205 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,617 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted November 29, 2018 - 10:51 PM

LeBron has needed to have amazing games for the Lakers to win, and has come through most of the time. I can forgive the bad game here or there because of that.

This team would be the worst in the league without him.

#206 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,289 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted November 30, 2018 - 05:48 AM

This team would be the worst in the league without him.

Possible.

#207 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,819 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 30, 2018 - 07:08 AM

Possible.

no they wouldn't
  • Xinxin and BasketballIQ like this

#208 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,140 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 30, 2018 - 08:01 AM

I'm not sure what their record would be without LeBron, but I can tell you that they would be favorites to lose every single game that they have played with the exception of the Suns, Cavs and maybe the Kings.

• RobBlake likes this

#209 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,637 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 30, 2018 - 09:35 AM

I don't think Bron is a cancer, he's just a superstar and every superstar has an ego.  I do think we need to have a coach with balls.. I actually like Spolstra and would be happy to have him if we had the chance. Kobe was cussing teammates out in practice and calling them soft..he would go on talk shows and basically try to make the players feel dumb for acting a certain way lol.

ap1.png

#210 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,289 posts

Posted November 30, 2018 - 09:59 AM

no they wouldn't

Possible as in without Bron it is very possible that they could be the worst team in the league.

Edited by LACAS, November 30, 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#211 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,637 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 30, 2018 - 10:27 AM

Possible as in without Bron it is very possible that they could be the worst team in the league.

I think so too.

ap1.png

#212 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 11,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 30, 2018 - 01:55 PM

We would be bottom feeders without LeBron.

#213 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,277 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 30, 2018 - 06:55 PM

We werent last year. We wiuld still have Julius Brook maybe PG

#214 DTIII

DTIII

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 6,035 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:All Time: Kobe Current: LeBron

Posted December 06, 2018 - 01:28 AM

• manaro90 likes this

EyMlHkX.jpg

#215 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,289 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 04:44 AM

Savage!

#216 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,140 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 10:44 AM

Aging legend currently averaging more in points, rebounds, assists, and shooting percentage than his career average while playing less minutes.  That take aged liked a 1994 Opus One.  

#217 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,204 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 06, 2018 - 12:25 PM

This thread is gonna be hilarious to read at the end of the season.
  • Persian Gulf likes this

#218 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 4,140 posts

Posted December 06, 2018 - 12:33 PM

This thread is gonna be hilarious to read at the end of the season.

No doubt. The guy is something we have never seen and likely never will again. Playing some of his best ball at this point in his career is just icing on the cake.
  • Persian Gulf and lakerfan98 like this

#219 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,277 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 06, 2018 - 05:16 PM

You better hope he keeps it up. He looks excellent now though.

#220 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,364 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted December 06, 2018 - 11:19 PM

Bron! Bron! Dude is Benjamin Button. I told y’all witness greatness!

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, December 06, 2018 - 11:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)