Lonzo Ball: Surgery On Torn Meniscus

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,527 posts

Posted October 11, 2018 - 12:39 PM

Wow you guys get excited easily. I thought that Ball played exactly the same as last year. Shot is still awkward, still extremely passive even in situations where it may be unnecessary, and absolutely no mid range game at all.

Him having actual passers on the team will help him get those easy alley oops but, given the right roster, there is no physical reason why he couldn't do that last year.

Of course we need to give him time but as of right now Ingram looks to have improved slightly more than Ball which imo is a bit upsetting because I believe Ball has far more potential.

Either way, the team was fun to watch and I hope Ball was simply rusty and has actually drastically improved his game.

By the same token you can’t get overly negative after one game

He’s definitely bigger, his range is better, shot still awkward but it looks like he can get it there easier with less forcefulness

But we have to see where both he and Ingram are at a month from now, and on

It’s not a bad thing that Ingram is improving so well. That’s a great thing.
Posted Image

#102 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,543 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 11, 2018 - 09:28 PM

Lonzo looked great in his first game back. Clearly a bit rusty, which is to be expected, but impactful on both ends of the floor. Really excited to see how things will go this season.

#103 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,271 posts

Posted October 11, 2018 - 10:37 PM

Lonzo shot the ball a handful of times, 2 of them being jumpers. Not sure how we can conclusively say his shot is still awkward. One looked bad and one actually looked very good.

Regardless, his shot was never an issue for me. His finishing was. Him bodying Klay on the way to a score is something that will go a long way in improving his offense and overall one on one game, which is nonexistent. I’m looking for more of that.

Defense looked good as ever, there were multiple instances where he got the team easy buckets by simply pushing the pace...looked rusty, which is to be expected, but I’m optimistic about what he will be this season.

#104 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,666 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted October 12, 2018 - 01:14 AM

By the same token you can’t get overly negative after one game

He’s definitely bigger, his range is better, shot still awkward but it looks like he can get it there easier with less forcefulness

But we have to see where both he and Ingram are at a month from now, and on

It’s not a bad thing that Ingram is improving so well. That’s a great thing.

I didn't. Just commented on other people's opinions. Ball played like Ball. It's ok for a player not to look like an all time great or all star especially in his second season.

#105 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,666 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 01:16 AM

Lonzo shot the ball a handful of times, 2 of them being jumpers. Not sure how we can conclusively say his shot is still awkward. One looked bad and one actually looked very good.

Regardless, his shot was never an issue for me. His finishing was. Him bodying Klay on the way to a score is something that will go a long way in improving his offense and overall one on one game, which is nonexistent. I’m looking for more of that.

Defense looked good as ever, there were multiple instances where he got the team easy buckets by simply pushing the pace...looked rusty, which is to be expected, but I’m optimistic about what he will be this season.

He air balled a wide open shot and his release look exactly the same. He is going to struggle being consistent with that release. We went through this last season.

We have Bron, his entire focus should be that 3 ball. He can play D, he can pass and push the pace. We can't have him going 1-10.

Edited by KidRN, October 12, 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#106 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,151 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted October 12, 2018 - 05:15 AM

Ball looked like Ball... however he did bulk up which should help him a lot.

The sample wasn't enough to say he got better but I believe he will be.

#107 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,014 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted October 12, 2018 - 01:31 PM

His release looked quicker to me but still bad mechanics.

#108 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,898 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 12, 2018 - 02:39 PM

Ball isn't going to change his mechanics significantly from what it already is.  At this point you have to accept his shot for what it is, it's unorthodox.

He really needs to work on his spot-up shot now that he'll be on the receiving end of a plethora of open looks.

I'm actually more than happy with what Ball showed in his first game considering the layoff, injury, and overall situation.

If things pan out, I see him serving as the glue and and most likely a key anchor on the defensive end.  He will be our Draymond Green type guy.  Allows the offense to flow fluidly, hustles and locks down numerous positions on the defensive end, and can even go grab boards and initiate the offense.

We'll see how he progresses but I like what I saw.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, October 12, 2018 - 02:40 PM.

• DLN and LACAS like this

#109 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,543 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 10:30 PM

Ball isn't going to change his mechanics significantly from what it already is.  At this point you have to accept his shot for what it is, it's unorthodox.

He really needs to work on his spot-up shot now that he'll be on the receiving end of a plethora of open looks.

I'm actually more than happy with what Ball showed in his first game considering the layoff, injury, and overall situation.

If things pan out, I see him serving as the glue and and most likely a key anchor on the defensive end.  He will be our Draymond Green type guy.  Allows the offense to flow fluidly, hustles and locks down numerous positions on the defensive end, and can even go grab boards and initiate the offense.

Changing his shot isn't going to come from one season to the next, but over the next few years he could make small adjustments that could make him more effective from that range. Even from last season to now i think we've seen a small change in his shot.

That said, the shot is always going to look funky, but that doesn't mean it cant be accurate.

#110 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,666 posts

Posted October 13, 2018 - 02:10 AM

Ball isn't going to change his mechanics significantly from what it already is. At this point you have to accept his shot for what it is, it's unorthodox.

If things pan out, I see him serving as the glue and and most likely a key anchor on the defensive end. He will be our Draymond Green type guy. Allows the offense to flow fluidly, hustles and locks down numerous positions on the defensive end, and can even go grab boards and initiate the offense.

What makes Draymond special is that he does whhat he does from the PF position. He makes it difficult for teams to capitalize on a defensive switch. A PG cant really have that same impact unless they have truly elite size at that position. His leadership is also a huge part of his impact. I don't see Ball as having that type of leadership yet. He's going to be a beast defensively but there is no way he impacts the defense the way that Draymond does. What he brings defensively at the PG position will be sufficient and help us against the star guards. His passing, especially in the fast break, is a huge plus. He's already one of the better guards at pushing the pace.

With Bron, his scoring ability won't be nearly as much of an issue. I'm currently only worried about that three ball. If he gets that down, he wont be an allstar, but he'll be the perfect compliment to Lebron. Ingram is by far a bigger worry than Ball. I'm not sure if his style fits next to Lebron. It may not particularly be a bad fit, but there may be better options. Hart at this point may create a better offensive flow playing next to Bron.

Edited by KidRN, October 13, 2018 - 02:12 AM.

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

#111 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,759 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 13, 2018 - 08:06 AM

Zo for his age has more potential than Green in his 2nd season
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#112 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,759 posts

Posted October 13, 2018 - 08:07 AM

Even at a different position

#113 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,269 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 14, 2018 - 08:42 AM

He's the Draymond Green of wings/guards.  People are going to have to stop evaluating him b/c in the conventional way.  Marcus Smart is another player that fits this mold.  These players are ampliers.  They literally do so many little things and cover holes that make things work better.  

Lonzo may never be a fluid shot creator, he may always be an elite secondary creator that needs a primary one on the floor.  

He's not even really a PG.  He can literally play with any combo of players as long as he has people on the floor he can guard. He doesn't require a load of touches, shots or any of that to be on the floor.  He's the one guy that regardless of the other type of stars or scorers on the floor will help elevate them.  

Even at a different position

Edited by Jody Smokes, October 14, 2018 - 08:43 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#114 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,759 posts

Posted October 14, 2018 - 10:34 AM

Wonder how he would look in DAntoni system

#115 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,151 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted October 14, 2018 - 03:21 PM

He would have to hit 3's

#116 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,666 posts

Posted October 14, 2018 - 05:53 PM

He's the Draymond Green of wings/guards. 

No he isn't. His impact isn't even close and he's done absolutely nothing to deserve even being mentioned with Green.

#117 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,898 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 14, 2018 - 07:20 PM

What makes Draymond special is that he does whhat he does from the PF position. He makes it difficult for teams to capitalize on a defensive switch. A PG cant really have that same impact unless they have truly elite size at that position. His leadership is also a huge part of his impact. I don't see Ball as having that type of leadership yet. He's going to be a beast defensively but there is no way he impacts the defense the way that Draymond does. What he brings defensively at the PG position will be sufficient and help us against the star guards. His passing, especially in the fast break, is a huge plus. He's already one of the better guards at pushing the pace.

With Bron, his scoring ability won't be nearly as much of an issue. I'm currently only worried about that three ball. If he gets that down, he wont be an allstar, but he'll be the perfect compliment to Lebron. Ingram is by far a bigger worry than Ball. I'm not sure if his style fits next to Lebron. It may not particularly be a bad fit, but there may be better options. Hart at this point may create a better offensive flow playing next to Bron.

Agree 100%

I'm not saying he is Draymond Green, I'm saying the role he plays is similar to that.  A glue guy on both ends whom is extremely versatile.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, October 14, 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#118 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,759 posts

Posted October 14, 2018 - 09:01 PM

No he isn't. His impact isn't even close and he's done absolutely nothing to deserve even being mentioned with Green.

Green was bordrrlime garbage his first 2 seasons with minimal.impact overall. Year 3 he started to peak and given his age i can expect he wont get much better

#119 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,759 posts

Posted October 14, 2018 - 09:01 PM

Agree 100%

I'm not saying he is Draymond Green, I'm saying the role he plays is similar to that. A glue guy on both ends whom is extremely versatile.

Very valid comp

#120 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,666 posts

Posted October 15, 2018 - 05:17 AM

Green was bordrrlime garbage his first 2 seasons with minimal.impact overall. Year 3 he started to peak and given his age i can expect he wont get much better

What does that have to do with Lonzo. You guys are comparing him to current Draymond Green.

You know how many players were better than 2nd year Kobe?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users