• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 16, 2018 - 10:58 AM

There aren’t many that have Kobe’s dedication to the game he literally lived a hoop life! Working out year round never satisfied with greatness but Zo is still very young watch his shot improvement and conditioning this coming season after recovering.

Don't forget that Kobe had MAJOR endorsements around that age (20-23).  He was in a BUNCH of commercials, Hollywood premieres and was the darling of the NBA.  AND Kobe tried to have a Rap Career of his own!

LOL...

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#62 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,886 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 23, 2018 - 07:03 PM

He's back to shooting https://twitter.com/...9280133/video/1

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#63 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted August 24, 2018 - 05:11 PM

Don't laugh at me but for the first 3 clips, I was thinking it was 3 different shots!  LOL...

Glad he's made it back on the court.  Hope he doesn't over do it.

• -Wade- likes this

tenor.gif

#64 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 468 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted August 26, 2018 - 01:38 PM

Any comments on his shot? Was reading some of the comments but no consensus.

anyone have more videos of him shooting?

#65 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 822 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 31, 2018 - 02:10 PM

lonzo's new shot: https://streamable.com/x0xyu

Any comments on his shot? Was reading some of the comments but no consensus.

anyone have more videos of him shooting?

#66 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 822 posts

Posted September 07, 2018 - 04:01 PM

trying to figure out whether the shot is actually different:

https://twitter.com/...5211498496?s=21

#67 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,582 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted September 08, 2018 - 08:42 AM

Form isn’t really but it looks more compact

ap1.png

#68 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,582 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted September 08, 2018 - 08:42 AM

Form isn’t really but it looks more compact

ap1.png

#69 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 460 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted September 11, 2018 - 01:09 AM

I'm really going to try my best to be respectful about this, and hopefully for the last time cause the negative energy on this topic isn't gonna do anyone any good.

Lonzo, is paying the price now, for not having made basketball his top priority his whole rookie year. He really was acting like a young man who just won a small lottery in Hollywood / Los Angeles. And I'm going to point to very specific examples of what I am referring to.

On back to back games (let's say Dallas was at the Staples Center on Monday and then we either had Portland on Tuesday or Wednesday, also at the Staples Center) Lonzo wasn't going home to get massaged, ice, watch film, talk to his teammates and coaches over Skype / Facetime and then sleep (and lift weights and stretch and ice some more and take another nap before practice the next morning). He was going out to Hollywood to record his rap album. He was making media appearances. He was recording footage and posting to Instagram and Snapchat. He was going out with his friends.

Wreckless. So wreckless. Its an 82 game season, his body is still undeveloped against a hyper-competitive league that is playing aggressive as hell against him because every time Lavar makes comments (and he was totally wilding out for a whole year) it fed fuel to the fire, and Lonzo was going out to Dave and Buster's when the Lakers had a god damn game the next day or two days from now.

Yes the kids are entitled to have lives, but Lonzo should have been more professional. Magic gave him a $7M annual contract, and that lack of dedication, combined with his fathers constant disrespect towards Magic / Pelinka / Jeanie wasn't really the way to re-pay back the organization that is pretty much the sole reason for his existence right now. I understand that the NBA schedule and lifestyle is tough and it comes with remarkable sacrifices that no other profession, no other athletes even are being asked to make, but this was the lifestyle he signed up for. And on top of all of the disrespect from his father, on top of all of the threats, he is no where near worth that level of headache, hassle, and really the money. 

Lonzo as of right now is absolutely not ready for training camp. He has not been playing full contact scrimmages. He no longer releases from the left side now coming from the center, but he has developed (and I hope I am wrong about this) a nervous hitch right before shooting. He's had a father who has shunned traditional development his whole life because, "Well don't tell my boy what to do." Ok, no one is going to tell your boy what to do, don't tell Magic Johnson what to do either. Rondo is going to start to start the season and like nails and a chalkboard Lavar is going to wail about it all year long. Lonzo shuns Kobe's advice about developing a low post and mid post game because he wants to make his teammates better, except what Kobe was trying to get at, was that being 1on1 threat from the mid-post is what makes teammates better because defenses now have to double team you even when the game is slowed down to a crawl. What was Lonzo's plan? More cherry picking? "I draw double then kick it out." that sort of thing? Except why would a defense double when defenders like Patrick Beverly can totally lock him down 1-on-1, Lonzo is mostly effective with novel plays and cherry picking, and isn't even all that aggressive offensively to begin with, not giving defenses a reason to double team.

I really hope this is a wake up call to Lonzo and Lavar. Don't take criticism as people out to get you. Make sacrifices to your schedule and lifestyle during the regular season. Be an easier person to work with. Don't try to muscle Magic Johnson around and act disrespectfully towards the organization with threats. Listen to the athletic trainers - we have the best in the league. Be receptive to outside input. Work on your body and fundamentals. Work on most what your most uncomfortable with. "Control what you can control." Don't leak injuries because you are actually deflating your own value to the league as a whole. Did they think that leaking the news of the meniscus was going to force Magic Johnson to keep Lonzo? Look at how Magic worked his magic on the Luol Deng situation which was the NBA version of the Iraq War. You're not going to force him to keep a player that doesn't belong to the team. If things don't work out with the Lakers, with Lavar having leaked injury reports and wilding out the whole way, even Dallas will be reluctant to commit a significant amount of money to him. I hope he's a little more conservative with the money left due to him on his contract, that Big Baller Estate took a huge chunk out of his year 1 pay.

If anyone here knows Lonzo, let him know we're all rooting for him and we hope his recovery is coming along well. 

Amen.

Amen.

Namaste.

Edited by dbtbandit67, September 11, 2018 - 01:09 AM.

#70 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,490 posts

Posted September 11, 2018 - 11:34 AM

Those are an exorbitant amount of assumptions
  • Jody Smokes likes this
Posted Image

#71 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted September 11, 2018 - 12:39 PM

To me a majority of Zo shooting woes were from conditioning or lack of well here it is the NBA season with lots more travel and way better competition, but with the repair and contioning this off season I'm hopeful for his shooting per centages rising! but keep that D as all need to, it'll make the difference on nights when shots aren't falling!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, September 11, 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#72 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 13, 2018 - 01:29 PM

trying to figure out whether the shot is actually different:

https://twitter.com/...5211498496?s=21

It still looks broken. I don't care though....as long as the ball goes in the hoop. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#73 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted September 13, 2018 - 01:33 PM

What worries me more is his knee. I read that he had PRP done...and it didn't work. Then he got surgery and got a part of his meniscus removed. Supposedly getting it removed instead of repairing it allowed him to return to the court sooner. Sounds like a really short sighted and dumb idea to me. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#74 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,490 posts

Posted September 13, 2018 - 05:42 PM

What worries me more is his knee. I read that he had PRP done...and it didn't work. Then he got surgery and got a part of his meniscus removed. Supposedly getting it removed instead of repairing it allowed him to return to the court sooner. Sounds like a really short sighted and dumb idea to me.

I mean, I’m sure they’d go over all of the options with him and the team. We can’t know what’s said behind closed doors. That may have been the best option
  • GCMD likes this
Posted Image

#75 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted September 14, 2018 - 12:21 AM

Really depends on the circumstances.  I believe that he has the money to have the best healthcare in the business so if they advised him to do this, it is likely Ok...

tenor.gif

#76 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 1,000 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted Yesterday, 11:58 PM

• GCMD likes this

#77 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted Today, 04:56 AM

LOL...that's EXACTLY how I sound when I coach...LOL.

Looks like Lonzo, Rondo and LeBron will get along just fine.

tenor.gif

#78 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,377 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted Today, 02:25 PM

I'm hoping for big things from him this year. I think he's the Lakers' best shot at having a young star. If he can become an adequate scorer, his impact could get to that level. His defense and play-making are the only elite skills any of the young core have.

He's the biggest difference-maker on the court. The offense runs a lot better, the Lakers are better in transition, and the Lakers are better on defense when he plays.

I'm not a great X's and O's kind of poster. But, advanced stats really play that out. He easily beats everybody else on stats like RPM, BPM, and VORP. Quite frankly, it's frightening how poor the other guys look on those stats.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

LACAS