Lonzo Ball: Surgery On Torn Meniscus

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 11,850 posts

Posted July 13, 2018 - 06:58 PM

Dr. Klapper have any input on the matter?

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#42 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,602 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 13, 2018 - 07:52 PM

I’m tired of doctors suggesting to athletes these types of injuries will heal on their own. These bodies are multi million dollar investments and they take a beating. I see no use in waiting and delay the inevitable. Risking further injury or compounding something worse. It’s bad business losing time as an athlete. Rehabilitation is for common folk not dudes that have 82+*games on the docket. There are risks with everything, reward of surgery far outweighs its risk. Especially for athletes. These are (allegedly) the best surgeons in the world trust they know what they are doing. I’m not a true believer in the PRP therapy I see it as a temporary fix at most.

Bye for now
  • BORNINLA likes this

#43 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 943 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 13, 2018 - 11:23 PM

i personally would not enjoy tearing my meniscus. and basically all i do is walk and put some extra weight on it 3x a week while lifting. can't imagine how bad it is for any professional athlete, given the levels of stress their bodies have to endure.

that being said, there is an inherent dilemma. the player's doc will say they should be as conservative as possible, because they need to take as much time as they need to heal. this is usually: see how it heals on its own (maybe PRP), and then if surgery is required then go for it + the incurred rehab time. in contrast, the team doctor will recommend the route that requires the minimal possible healing and rehab time so the athlete can get back on the court ASAP. after all, the player is the team's most valuable product to sell. this is basically the kawhi leonard dilemma.

no need to fault the surgeons, they are doing their job. as are the player's independent doctors. the team doc...depends on their integrity and the integrity of the owner/NBA as a whole. capitalism, i guess. on the flip side, if this was all exclusively controlled by the team/NBA, we would be living in the modern day equivalent of soviet russia or china where the bosses in charge control every aspect of the product that is being sold to us.

pick your poison.

I’m tired of doctors suggesting to athletes these types of injuries will heal on their own. These bodies are multi million dollar investments and they take a beating. I see no use in waiting and delay the inevitable. Risking further injury or compounding something worse. It’s bad business losing time as an athlete. Rehabilitation is for common folk not dudes that have 82+*games on the docket. There are risks with everything, reward of surgery far outweighs its risk. Especially for athletes. These are (allegedly) the best surgeons in the world trust they know what they are doing. I’m not a true believer in the PRP therapy I see it as a temporary fix at most.

Bye for now

• GCMD likes this

#44 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,409 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 13, 2018 - 11:43 PM

Bye for now

I understand your frustration but surgery can be as harmful as the injury itself.  A small tear in your meniscus isn't something you need surgery for as long as you give your body the right amount of down time to heal.

The body can heal itself.  It does it MUCH BETTER than surgeons in certain cases.  I would not suggest going under the knife unless you absolutely have to especially in the small spaces like the knee, shoulder and elbow.

Edited by GCMD, July 13, 2018 - 11:43 PM.

• BORNINLA likes this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#45 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,588 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 14, 2018 - 02:24 AM

I understand your frustration but surgery can be as harmful as the injury itself. A small tear in your meniscus isn't something you need surgery for as long as you give your body the right amount of down time to heal.

The body can heal itself. It does it MUCH BETTER than surgeons in certain cases. I would not suggest going under the knife unless you absolutely have to especially in the small spaces like the knee, shoulder and elbow.

I’m a huge baseball fan and I’ve always said that when it comes to tommy John surgery. Sometimes you just have to tell the pitcher not to throw the damn ball for a few months and get therapy for the elbow. That surgery usually almost guarantees most pitchers won’t ever be fully the same.
  • GCMD likes this

#46 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 858 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 14, 2018 - 07:20 AM

This might sound stupid.......but I am wondering how much support as far as cushion when landing (shock absorption) off a jump those shoes are providing.  All M/S on the lower limbs start at the ankles and move their way up.  It started with an ankle injury (which IMO came back too soon) and has moved up to his knee.  Next will be the hip joint if he is not careful.  I agree with the no surgery option because it can cause more harm than good at times.   Should have just sat out the rest of the season last year.  

Edited by BORNINLA, July 14, 2018 - 07:20 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#47 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,235 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted July 14, 2018 - 07:30 AM

So did this injury all of sudden worsen? I mean why now? He's had since the end of HIS season to opt for surgery but he chooses to do so now when free agency rumors start swirling, maybe Im looking into this too much but I dont like the smell of this... Anyhow I hope he's back on time to work on his game which needs plenty of work in addition to getting stronger to withstand an NBA season.

#48 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 858 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 14, 2018 - 09:13 AM

So did this injury all of sudden worsen? I mean why now? He's had since the end of HIS season to opt for surgery but he chooses to do so now when free agency rumors start swirling, maybe Im looking into this too much but I dont like the smell of this... Anyhow I hope he's back on time to work on his game which needs plenty of work in addition to getting stronger to withstand an NBA season.

I bet he re-injured it while doing leg workouts and was tomd the best thing to do was go in there to determine what exactly is wrong and repair.
  • LACAS likes this

#49 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,235 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted July 14, 2018 - 09:31 AM

I bet he re-injured it while doing leg workouts and was tomd the best thing to do was go in there to determine what exactly is wrong and repair.

Perhaps... I just hope he gets it well taken care of and that he's able to join us soon...

#50 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,602 posts

Posted July 14, 2018 - 09:56 AM

I understand your frustration but surgery can be as harmful as the injury itself. A small tear in your meniscus isn't something you need surgery for as long as you give your body the right amount of down time to heal.

The body can heal itself. It does it MUCH BETTER than surgeons in certain cases. I would not suggest going under the knife unless you absolutely have to especially in the small spaces like the knee, shoulder and elbow.

I’m a huge baseball fan and I’ve always said that when it comes to tommy John surgery. Sometimes you just have to tell the pitcher not to throw the damn ball for a few months and get therapy for the elbow. That surgery usually almost guarantees most pitchers won’t ever be fully the same.

Garret Richards a pitcher for the Angels blew his elbow out and had the PRP therapy back in 2016, this year he tore the UCL. To top it off he’s a FA this winter. Think anyone is looking to sign a guy who won’t pitch till 2020? It’s possible like these serious injuries healing themselves. Temporary fixes for million dollar athletes is ridiculous all I’m saying. As a player if you are playing you need to be as healthy and close to 100% as possible. The window for these guys is extremely small. If Lonzo a dude in his 20’s can’t recover after a simple surgery he’s not meant to be. It was dumb to recommend rehab to a kid still growing and getting bigger putting more strain on his body. No doctor would change my mind. If I were a father I would say these things to my son.

Bye for now

#51 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,409 posts

Posted July 15, 2018 - 10:58 PM

It's probably to clean up the joint.  Not sure what the specific injury was but I doubt they let him get back to training without a thorough exam/imaging tests.  More than likely, he wasn't progressing/healing as quickly as they wanted.  If he continued to feel pain after a certain amount of time, they go in to see if there's scar tissue or something else that they need to clean up.  To be honest, it doesn't take that long for a small meniscal tear to heal.  Some people who are really active get small ones and don't even know it if they take it easy.  Take some meds for the pain, ice it and slow down for a while.

Garret Richards a pitcher for the Angels blew his elbow out and had the PRP therapy back in 2016, this year he tore the UCL. To top it off he’s a FA this winter. Think anyone is looking to sign a guy who won’t pitch till 2020? It’s possible like these serious injuries healing themselves. Temporary fixes for million dollar athletes is ridiculous all I’m saying. As a player if you are playing you need to be as healthy and close to 100% as possible. The window for these guys is extremely small. If Lonzo a dude in his 20’s can’t recover after a simple surgery he’s not meant to be. It was dumb to recommend rehab to a kid still growing and getting bigger putting more strain on his body. No doctor would change my mind. If I were a father I would say these things to my son.

Bye for now

It doesn't matter how much money you have or are worth in this situation.  You are causing major damage with certain surgeries.  Cutting into small spaces isn't advisable unless there is no other option.  

If there is obvious damage that is impeding range of motion, yes, you need surgery (95% of the time).  That's not the injury they originally described.

And the younger you are, the less likely they are to cut on you.  The body heals small things better than surgeons, my friend.

Edited by GCMD, July 15, 2018 - 10:59 PM.

• bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

#52 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2018 - 01:47 PM

Small things you play through with rehab. Basketball players knees are always a BIG thing. When did kid last play did it take that injury this long to heal on its own?? Eh right. This was clearly a bigger injury issue. Or was he misdiagnosed? Or did he injure it worse with training? Who’s lying here? It was a [expletive]ing joke not getting this surgery MONTHS ago. It doesn’t get much smaller or cleaner than arthroscopic knee surgery. And being a athlete with millions on the line means a tremendous amount. The way we’ve botched this is worry some. They have MRI and CT scans but they really won’t know how bad it is till they look inside. Where’s the common sense?

Bye for now

#53 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,409 posts

Posted July 17, 2018 - 07:46 PM

Small things you play through with rehab. Basketball players knees are always a BIG thing. When did kid last play did it take that injury this long to heal on its own?? Eh right. This was clearly a bigger injury issue. Or was he misdiagnosed? Or did he injure it worse with training? Who’s lying here? It was a [expletive]ing joke not getting this surgery MONTHS ago. It doesn’t get much smaller or cleaner than arthroscopic knee surgery. And being a athlete with millions on the line means a tremendous amount. The way we’ve botched this is worry some. They have MRI and CT scans but they really won’t know how bad it is till they look inside. Where’s the common sense?

Bye for now

I haven't seen those scans but I assume UCLA has some of the best Radiologists and Ortho guys in the country so whatever they say, I trust it.  If they didn't see anything, it might not have been there.

Are they infallible?  No...

Do they miss things?  I'm sure they do at times.

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT they missed what you're suggesting.

You're forgetting the other half (more like 80%) of Medical Intervention and Prognosis - Compliance.  Just because the Ortho and Radiology guys say "do this that and the other" doesn't mean the patient adheres to the plan.  Knowing of LaVar Ball, I'd place money on him trying to push Lonzo back earlier than he should have and causing the partially healed injury to worsen than the Docs missing a major diagnosis on a player like Lonzo.

You could be right but if you are, considering the high profile nature of this case, this doesn't happen often.

Edited by GCMD, July 17, 2018 - 07:47 PM.

tenor.gif

#54 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,648 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2018 - 11:04 PM

I'm not concerned about the surgery, but more his ability to train the way he wants during the offseason. If he spends it rehabbing his knee rather than working on his shot, he will probably not be as useful playing alongside LeBron next season. 

Kid has a good head on his shoulders and I want to see him succeed. Hoping for the best... 

• GCMD and LACAS like this

#55 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 19, 2018 - 05:51 AM

Well as we know injuries are a part of Sports. He has found out a little more of life in the NBA and has done weight training to be able to endure the length of the season and what that entails. I had said to those thinking he was a bust at the #2 pick, his abilities have equaled or surpassed. Exception shooting which I am certain he’ll remedy. Now as a 20 year old I’m hoping he heals quickly and has no reoccurrences thus getting back into the training regime. Here’s to an exciting season! GoLakers!!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, August 14, 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#56 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 532 posts

Posted August 13, 2018 - 06:45 PM

Lonzo should stop recording stupid rap albums

Stop shooting footage for his stupid show

Treat basketball like his passion in life and number 1 priority

Get rid of the sad look on his face and just work on the fundamentals, bulking up, taking care of his body

And he'll be fine

#57 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,378 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 14, 2018 - 06:30 AM

This is when being a fan get's stupid.  You dont know what his priorities are.  He doesnt need to be a robot.  Are you doing these same things in life?  Are you making your job your passion in life?  Stick to being a fan and rooting for team success.  

Get rid of the sad look on his face and just work on the fundamentals, bulking up, taking care of his body

And he'll be fine

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#58 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,161 posts

Posted August 14, 2018 - 02:50 PM

Right Jody tell em to Stay in yo lane!

#59 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,409 posts

Posted August 14, 2018 - 06:37 PM

And he'll be fine

Do you have any evidence that basketball isn't his #1 priority?  Basketball being #1 doesn't mean he doesn't have a #2 or #3 or #4...

tenor.gif

#60 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,161 posts

Posted August 14, 2018 - 10:29 PM

There aren’t many that have Kobe’s dedication to the game he literally lived a hoop life! Working out year round never satisfied with greatness but Zo is still very young watch his shot improvement and conditioning this coming season after recovering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users