After this year's Eastern Conference playoffs, much of the media, analysts, and fans were calling LBJ the GOAT or a consensus top 2 player of all time. While I actually agree that LeBron is one of the greatest ever, it frustrated me that people tended to leave Kobe out of the discussion completely, sometimes calling him a fringe top 10 all time player. There is definitely a valid argument to put LeBron ahead of Kobe all time, and vice versa, but I don't think its completely fair to act as though he doesn't belong in the discussion, and call anyone who says otherwise a "Kobe-stan." I also think most of the arguments used are very stats based and just shallow in general, as is with most media these days.
Since then, I've been working on an article to defend Kobe's legacy. It's going to be very long and has been extremely time consuming, but I could use some more ammo on the following points that people use to definitively put LeBron as the greatest ever...
- Advanced stats and regular stats (ppg, rpg, apg) favor LeBron significantly.
- LeBron is more efficient and the better scorer (averages more career ppg at a far better efficiency than Bryant)
- LeBron has gotten to the finals with far worse teams (like this year)
- LeBron's finals record actually isn't a detriment to his legacy, as the fact he was able to make the finals before losing in the playoffs is a superior outcome to Bryant losing in earlier rounds or not making the playoffs.
- More MVPs. Kobe wasn't robbed as players like Garnett, Duncan, etc all were having phenomenal seasons when he was in his prime.
Because we have some great basketball minds on this board, I would appreciate any arguments you have to refute the points I listed above, as well as anything else you have to contribute. It's been very rewarding working on this so far, as I've had the chance to dig through older posts on this board and others to collect some data from prior Kobe-LeBron threads, as well as having the opportunity to restudy parts of the Triangle offense, different defensive schemes we've seen from great teams over the years, etc.
Thanks, and appreciate your input!
Edited by bfc1125roy, June 26, 2018 - 09:50 PM.