46 replies to this topic

#21 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,788 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 28, 2018 - 06:15 AM

Im not sure any young core outside of Philly can say they have either.  I'll die on the hill that Kuzma/Ingram as every bit as good as Brown/Tatum.  Difference is perception of the Lakers young core and the fact they didn't make the playoffs.

Lakers gift and curse of their young core is that 4 of them were really good but none of them actually stood all the way out from the other.  This can be a good or a bad thing.  Some see it as all the guys are just ok, some also see it as that the players are good but on the same level. 

Kuz popped out the most b/c of his scoring burst.  This is why you had people making whispers about him being better than Ingram.  Totally different players. 

I believe we have the top young core that doesn't have a franchise player or potential franchise player.

• Adam likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#22 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 873 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted June 28, 2018 - 09:50 AM

As GCMD said, we have the best young core without a franchise level player or potential franchise player. the other listed teams all have legitimate all stars and franchie level players like jocik, embiid, KAT, giannis, etc. 

That being said, we have the best core to build on because we have the ability to add two franchise level players. for example lbj and kawhi. taken in a vacuum, yeah our guys don't stack up so well. but taken into context? heck yes. 

and don't twist my words. giannis is hands down better and more valuable than any player we have on our team. even lonzo. if lonzo head a deadly three point shot and was a good spot up shooter, maybe i'd change my mind, but right now, giannis >>>> everyone else his age and below. 

I just believe we have great complementary pieces that will help build a team that contend for the next decade. LBJ + Kawhi + PG13 ---> Kawhi + PG13 + at least one of our guys ---> the rest of our guys + new talent. not only that, our guys have great chemistry. that's undeniable. i'd say we have the best or maybe the second best chemistry amongst these young squads. the kind of chemsitry that guys are willing to take pay cuts for if you know what i mean

Im not sure any young core outside of Philly can say they have either.  I'll die on the hill that Kuzma/Ingram as every bit as good as Brown/Tatum.  Difference is perception of the Lakers young core and the fact they didn't make the playoffs.

Lakers gift and curse of their young core is that 4 of them were really good but none of them actually stood all the way out from the other.  This can be a good or a bad thing.  Some see it as all the guys are just ok, some also see it as that the players are good but on the same level. 

Kuz popped out the most b/c of his scoring burst.  This is why you had people making whispers about him being better than Ingram.  Totally different players. 

I believe we have the top young core that doesn't have a franchise player or potential franchise player.

#23 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 873 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 09:51 AM

because we can add players like LBJ + Kawhi, ***WHEN*** we do add them, then we will have a top three roster in the league. I don't want to get into a GSW vs lakers with LBJ  + KAWHI + PG!# debate

As GCMD said, we have the best young core without a franchise level player or potential franchise player. the other listed teams all have legitimate all stars and franchie level players like jocik, embiid, KAT, giannis, etc. 

That being said, we have the best core to build on because we have the ability to add two franchise level players. for example lbj and kawhi. 

#24 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,809 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 28, 2018 - 12:34 PM

Tatum/Brown took LeBron and the Cavs to 7.  Get back to me when Ingram and Kuzma get us to the playoffs...

Ayton has Franchise level talent.  Porter does too...Bagley, Doncic, Bamba...Towns, Porzingis, I could go on and on.

What you like is irrelevant.  Denying what is true doesn't make it false.  We don't have a franchise level talent on this team, yet. If that changes, it's ok to change your assessment.  Skewing analysis because it's the Lakers players doesn't make it true.

#25 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 974 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted June 28, 2018 - 01:36 PM

Not sure how you can say anyone is franchise level talent when they haven’t played one game in the NBA.
  • lakerfan98 likes this

#26 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 873 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 02:33 PM

Tatum/Brown took LeBron and the Cavs to 7.  Get back to me when Ingram and Kuzma get us to the playoffs...  i have to respectfully disagree. tatum/brown also had horford...an all-star caliber player. they had brad stevens....who is recognized as a top three coach. they had a legitimate system with parts that worked and that provided a lot of synergy. the lakers don't have any of that. luke walton is legit. but he's not top three or even top five legit. we don't have anyone near an all-star caliber player to hold it down for us. whose our vest vet? kcp? lopez? the same lopez that disappeared for like half the season? tatum and brown are really good but so are kuzma and ingram. we have to take things into context and you're usually pretty good about that.

Ayton has Franchise level talent.  Porter does too...Bagley, Doncic, Bamba...Towns, Porzingis, I could go on and on.   ayton has fracnchise level talent. true. but until he actually steps onto the floor, you can't rank them ahead of us. porter might not even play this upcoming season?? porzingis is out for a good part of next season. bamba? really. dudes good he's not elevating his team to the playoffs the first year or even the next. same with doncic. bagley on the kings? yeah, sorry man. bagley is going to put up some legit numbers becuase he'll have the green light but he won't have a KAT effect on that team. how many players in the last fifteen years have had the kind of effect embiid & simmons or donovan mitchell during their rookie year? actually, simmons and the sixers is a bit of exception becuase of how all that went down. the progress they made this year was a culmination of the previous years of effort. the jazz lost hayward this year but got mitchell and he made all the difference. rookies that make that type of impact are hella rare. i remember lebron. duncan. i'll let y'all fill in the rest of the list. 

What you like is irrelevant.  Denying what is true doesn't make it false.  We don't have a franchise level talent on this team, yet. If that changes, it's ok to change your assessment.  Skewing analysis because it's the Lakers players doesn't make it true. being fair and objective and rational is great, and considring how many of us look at the lakers through rose tinted glasses. that realism is often appreicated. but you can take it a little far sometimes too. gotta be fair with the lakers too. can't go the other way to be extra fair

#27 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,788 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 02:42 PM

That team had MUCH more than Tatum and Brown and CLE w/o Lebron is a bottom 5 roster in the NBA easy.  Can you honestly say that Tatum/Brown w/o playing with Horford, Smart and Kyrie for most of the year gets to the playoffs? Get out of the 1st round?  

Bottom line is those 2 guys had the PERFECT situation to develop and thrive in.  It's the situation I'd like for Kuz/Ingram when Lebron/PG sign.  Allow the vets to do the heavy lifting and eat off their plate and shine in the playoffs.  

Tatum/Brown took LeBron and the Cavs to 7.  Get back to me when Ingram and Kuzma get us to the playoffs...

Ayton has Franchise level talent.  Porter does too...Bagley, Doncic, Bamba...Towns, Porzingis, I could go on and on.

What you like is irrelevant.  Denying what is true doesn't make it false.  We don't have a franchise level talent on this team, yet. If that changes, it's ok to change your assessment.  Skewing analysis because it's the Lakers players doesn't make it true.

• Adam likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#28 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,788 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 03:33 PM

Ingram/Ball/Randle/Kuz were REQUIRED to be the best players on the Lakers for the majority of the season.  Just the gravity that Kyrie/Horford creates on offense is enough to get anybody an open shot in the NBA.  These guys took full advantage.  Can't take anything from them.  However the difference in Brown and Ingram is playmaking and ball handling.  You put Ingram in BOS I believe he probably looks better than Brown, you put Brown in LA with the team construct this past year and I think he's worse.  We are going to ignore that Ingram put up 18/5/5 while point guard for this team?  

• Adam likes this

#29 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 873 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 05:02 PM

at a very efficient clip as well! 

Ingram/Ball/Randle/Kuz were REQUIRED to be the best players on the Lakers for the majority of the season.  Just the gravity that Kyrie/Horford creates on offense is enough to get anybody an open shot in the NBA.  These guys took full advantage.  Can't take anything from them.  However the difference in Brown and Ingram is playmaking and ball handling.  You put Ingram in BOS I believe he probably looks better than Brown, you put Brown in LA with the team construct this past year and I think he's worse.  We are going to ignore that Ingram put up 18/5/5 while point guard for this team?  

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,685 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 28, 2018 - 07:47 PM

Ingram is still a baby... wings like Giannis ...Kawhi and PG took time.

#31 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Hall Of Fame

• 8,540 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 28, 2018 - 07:51 PM

I think some people forget how young Ingram is... He's literally just short of 2 months older than Lonzo!

He has alot growth to do and odds are his body isn't even close to where it will be yet.

Some players develop and mature later than others.  Considering BI is only 20 years of age and is already producing at this rate, I think he has the most potential out of all our young guys still.

This season will determin a lot in my opinion.

• Adam likes this

#32 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,809 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 11:49 PM

Not sure how you can say anyone is franchise level talent when they haven’t played one game in the NBA.

Talent...that word is important.

That team had MUCH more than Tatum and Brown and CLE w/o Lebron is a bottom 5 roster in the NBA easy.  Can you honestly say that Tatum/Brown w/o playing with Horford, Smart and Kyrie for most of the year gets to the playoffs? Get out of the 1st round?  

Bottom line is those 2 guys had the PERFECT situation to develop and thrive in.  It's the situation I'd like for Kuz/Ingram when Lebron/PG sign.  Allow the vets to do the heavy lifting and eat off their plate and shine in the playoffs.  

Think what you want.  I'm sure you watched those games.  Neither Ingram nor Kuzma could guard LeBron or score on LeBron like those guys.  Ignore what you want to believe what you want.  Fine with me.

I'm not high on Brown nor did I say he was a Franchise level talent.   You're literally picking the one guy I wouldn't trade any of our guys for.  Good job.

I think some people forget how young Ingram is... He's literally just short of 2 months older than Lonzo!

He has alot growth to do and odds are his body isn't even close to where it will be yet.

Some players develop and mature later than others.  Considering BI is only 20 years of age and is already producing at this rate, I think he has the most potential out of all our young guys still.

This season will determin a lot in my opinion.

BOS wouldn't trade Tatum for Ingram...not because of potential but because Tatum has shown he's already better...oh, and Tatum is 7 months younger than Ingram...

Some times, you have to stop making excuses and accept what is.  I'm not saying Ingram doesn't have potential but so do most young players.  Ingram hasn't shown any special ability to reach or exceed his potential.  There are other rookies and sophomores that have.

You guys act like that if I don't claim Ingram is a sure-fire AllStar that I think he's garbage...false.  I can have my own opinion and I have provided legit reasons for my opinion.

Ingram needs to play differently.  If he keeps pushing forward on this path, he's a "dime-a-dozen" wing.  Nothing special about that.

• KidRN likes this

#33 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted June 29, 2018 - 06:11 AM

I like our young core.

Not as much as Phi, den, bos, even utah.

But add in the fact we have financial flexibility to add major pieces (2 starters maybe 3) and i think we may be in the best position to watch at least some our remaining young guys play in big meaningful games.

I mean how impressive was it watching Boston and even Utah play deep into the playoffs with young talent?

I thought it was great and you grow up faster and better if you go deep (its what kept McGrady from being thought of as a top level player when he probably was but never got deep into playoffs)

All this said, i think lonzo, ingram and randle have STAR potential. Maybe as soon as next season hopefully.

Kuz might be best role player or even 6th man in the league since lou and crawford in a couple years

Franchise player? Maybe Lonzo if his shot comes along and his free throws.

• Adam likes this

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#34 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,940 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 14, 2019 - 02:27 PM

They're not among the top young cores. They're not able to lead this team at all, even in a limited stretch with some easy games on the schedule. The people that downplay what Tatum and Mitchell did last year should re-think things. It's clear the Lakers' core can't handle an easier version of what they did.

I would add in Sacramento and Dallas as cores I would take over the Lakers' core. Without LeBron, they're easily better than the Lakers are right now.

It's amazing how little the Lakers have gotten out of 3 straight #2 overall picks. Hitting on one of those picks would've made all the difference in the world, but the Lakers just haven't done so. The Mavericks landing Luka Doncic and the Kings landing De'Aaron Fox have significantly changed their future outlooks going forward.

#35 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,809 posts

Posted January 14, 2019 - 08:16 PM

They're not among the top young cores. They're not able to lead this team at all, even in a limited stretch with some easy games on the schedule. The people that downplay what Tatum and Mitchell did last year should re-think things. It's clear the Lakers' core can't handle an easier version of what they did.

I would add in Sacramento and Dallas as cores I would take over the Lakers' core. Without LeBron, they're easily better than the Lakers are right now.

It's amazing how little the Lakers have gotten out of 3 straight #2 overall picks. Hitting on one of those picks would've made all the difference in the world, but the Lakers just haven't done so. The Mavericks landing Luka Doncic and the Kings landing De'Aaron Fox have significantly changed their future outlooks going forward.

For the record, I said among the top without a Franchise player.  I stand by that.

Lonzo will be special at some point.  He has tools you can't learn / be taught.

Kuzma is special for a 2nd year drafted at 27th.  I doubt he will carry a franchise but he's going to be an elite scorer.

Ingram has potential...other than that, no comment.

It is what it is.  We gambled...we lost.  Oh well.

#36 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 26,159 posts

Posted January 14, 2019 - 09:18 PM

As with anything it’s how you respond to a mistake not the mistake itself

Lakers can still make lemonade outta some of these lemons

So it’ll be up to magic and pelinka to do that
Posted Image

#37 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,809 posts

Posted January 16, 2019 - 10:55 PM

As with anything it’s how you respond to a mistake not the mistake itself

Lakers can still make lemonade outta some of these lemons

So it’ll be up to magic and pelinka to do that

Not sure what you mean.  While his nickname is "Magic", doesn't mean he's a true magician.  Not everybody fits every team.  Can't keep ignoring fit.  It matters.

#38 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 26,159 posts

Posted January 17, 2019 - 11:40 AM

Not sure what you mean. While his nickname is "Magic", doesn't mean he's a true magician. Not everybody fits every team. Can't keep ignoring fit. It matters.

I mean they can make deals, rectify the situation in some way
Posted Image

#39 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 4,154 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 18, 2019 - 06:21 AM

We just beat OKC without Bron and Rondo... our young core should be untouchable!

#40 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:LeBron James aka King James

Posted January 18, 2019 - 06:59 PM

Zubac on the rise, Ingram on the decline.  My boy Brandon shooting only 63% from the line.  Come on, bruh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users