Bruce Bowen rips Kawhi: "Are you kidding me?"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted June 22, 2018 - 07:17 PM

Bruce Bowen, who won three titles with the San Antonio Spurs, took Kawhi Leonard to task for his dealings with the team this year, saying "there's nothing but excuses going on."

Speaking on Sirius XM NBA Radio Thursday night, Bowen said. "First, it was, 'Well I was misdiagnosed.' Look here: You got $18 million this year, and you think that they're trying to rush you? You didn't play for the most part a full season this year. And you're the go-to guy, you're the franchise, and you want to say that they didn't have your best interest at heart? Are you kidding me?"

"I think he's getting bad advice," Bowen said. "I think what you're starting to see now is an individual given a certain amount of advice, and it's not the right advice. Here it is: You were protected in San Antonio. You were able to come up during a time where you still could lean on Tim [Duncan] Tony [Parker] and Manu [Ginobili]."

"Not one time has Kawhi come out and said anything to the effect of, 'You know what, hey, I really enjoy being in San Antonio.' Or, 'I can't stand what's going on here in San Antonio,' " Bowen said. "Not one time has he said anything."

"As a player, if I'm a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I'm with my guys," he said. "Because that's what it's all about. It's about camaraderie. It's about fellowship. It's a brotherhood. When that didn't happen, it's all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, 'Is this person fully vested?' ... I don't want to take on a player who's not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him."

http://www.espn.com/...e-said-anything

I agree with Bowen. Everything Spurs provided for Kawhi from the moment they started him was to groom him to be successful. No quad injury should have prevented him to be with his teammates for a day at least. The best player and 'leader' on the team should have at least done that. All of a sudden he wants to go LA? Sounds like he received some bad advice like Bowen said. How you slice it, it is weird.

"I think he's going to be a star. And as time goes on, he’ll be the face of the Spurs, I think. At both ends of the court, he is really a special player. And what makes me be so confident about him is that he wants it so badly. He wants to be a good player, I mean a great player. He comes early, he stays late, and he's coachable. He's just like a sponge. When you consider he's only had [two years] of college and no training camp yet, you can see that he's going to be something else."

Gregg Popovich, in 2012, on Leonard

Pop is gotta be the one to take this hardest.

fXlFKv8.gif

#2 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,846 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 23, 2018 - 03:10 PM

I agree with Bowen. Everything Spurs provided for Kawhi from the moment they started him was to groom him to be successful. No quad injury should have prevented him to be with his teammates for a day at least. The best player and 'leader' on the team should have at least done that. All of a sudden he wants to go LA? Sounds like he received some bad advice like Bowen said. How you slice it, it is weird.

Pop is gotta be the one to take this hardest.

I couldn't care less about anyone's feelings. This a profession, and it's also a business. No one says [expletive] when owners and front offices ship out players who just bought new homes, moved their families, etc.

#3 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,250 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 03:27 PM

Players don’t owe teams anything.
  • Icker, DaSmoothOperator, Jackson and 2 others like this

#4 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 11:56 PM

Players don’t owe teams anything.

Really?

i wonder how Kawhi would have performed if he was selected by Orlando Magic or Charlotte Bobcats from #16.

Edited by Tensai, June 23, 2018 - 11:56 PM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,709 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 24, 2018 - 07:08 AM

I think Tensai has a point but I agree with the overwhelming sentiment here.
Kawhi delivered a title

#6 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted June 25, 2018 - 05:20 AM

I think Tensai has a point but I agree with the overwhelming sentiment here.
Kawhi delivered a title

1st round against Dallas: 11.9 ppg 7.4 rpg

2nd round against Portland: 17 ppg 7.6 rpg

WCF against OKC: 11.8 ppg 5.5 rpg

Finals against Miami: 17.8 ppg 6.4 rpg

"Delivered a title" is a rather strong compliment. It is like saying Iguodala delivered title for Golden State in 2015.

fXlFKv8.gif

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,709 posts

Posted June 27, 2018 - 08:22 PM

Defense

#8 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,954 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 25, 2018 - 08:25 AM

C’mon Bruce lighten up, if he wasn’t happy there he should leave; just cause you loved it doesn’t apply to others ok?

#9 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,323 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted August 16, 2018 - 05:25 PM

Question here. So apparently the Clippers fired or passed on Bowen due to comments he made about Kawhi. Is this considered tampering?

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,709 posts

Posted August 16, 2018 - 06:28 PM

Hmmmm. Great question
  • MaceWindu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users