Photo

Would you give up Ball, Ingram and/or Kuzma for Leonard?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#41 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,467 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2018 - 08:00 AM

PG is 28.

Kawhi is 27.

For reference:

KD - 29

Steph - 29

Klay - 27

Draymond - 27

First, please explain what YOU mean by "FUTURE".   2 years from now?  5? 10? 

Second, please explain why we wouldn't be able to win in the future while GSW is considered a Dynasty for the foreseeable future?  I didn't even add in LeBron who could play at an elite level for the next 3-4 years with Kawhi and Paul George as his "sidekicks".  People seem to forget that Jordan had Pippen to do a lot of the dirty work that allowed Jordan to be the best.  He didn't even make it to the NBA Finals by himself.

I bet on LeBron finding a way to beat GSW with Kawhi and Paul George.  LeBron beat GSW (w/o KD) with Kyrie and Kevin Love!  Kawhi is much better than Kyrie and PG13 is MUCH better than K-Love.  Defensively, the comparison isn't even close.

Win a few Ch'ips in this DECADE and winning in the future will take care of itself.  Ask every player in the NBA Draft when was the last year the Lakers made it to the WCF.  I'd be surprised if you find 5 players who knew the answer to that.  Why?

Those guys were in middle school or even elementary school the last time the Lakers were legit contenders.

because ball 20, ingram 21 and kuzma 22 are the future. thats why

you just dont trade 3 prospects who could easily dominate the league or the west the nexyt 10 years for a package of veterans or all stars who are at their peak

best case are 3 championships in a row

worst case none or just 1

what then? then yall laugh because lonzo is having double double stats in cleveland or elsewhere and kuzma going HAM like grant hill in his prime..

dont even let me start on ingram

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#42 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2018 - 08:11 AM

if we get lebron kahwi and pg we are going in WIN NOW MODE.

but if we are giving up kuz and ingram, WIN FUTURE is over

Hard disagree.  Kawhi is entering his prime right now, would likely spend the rest of his career as a Laker and will almost certainly be better than Kuz and Ingram will ever be PUT TOGETHER.  A lot of people in here are confused with potential over reality.   Kuzma is a big time overacheiver and will likely improve over the next few seasons, I feel like he is close to his ceiling already, BI has improved and likely will continue to improve.  Kuzma could top out at a very solid role player, BI could be a perennial all star.  Kawhi is currently one of the top 5 players in the NBA.  Now we can talk about LeBron.  LeBron just had the best statistical season of his beyond insane career, would join a team that has had Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Kareem, Shaq, etc and immediately be the best player that the franchise has ever had, I know that statement will piss off a lot of old school Laker fans, but that is the reality.  All arguments against the guy have been put to rest other than his finals record, and if the game was an individual sport he would win the championship every season, but its not.  LeBron makes everyone around him better, he took a legit terrible team to the Finals basically put his team on his back to beat teams that were allegedly far better than the Cavs were in the Celtics and the Raptors.  

Kawhi is the ultimate 2nd option for a championship team and has never played with anyone that is in the universe of as good a player as LeBron is.  The NBA is a superstar league, these 2 are 2 of the biggest superstars that there are.  BI and Kuzma are nice players.  Easiest decision you would ever have to make.

• Xinxin likes this

#43 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts

Posted June 18, 2018 - 08:15 AM

you just dont trade 3 prospects who could easily dominate the league or the west the nexyt 10 years for a package of veterans or all stars who are at their peak

what then? then yall laugh because lonzo is having double double stats in cleveland or elsewhere and kuzma going HAM like grant hill in his prime..

This is spoken like somebody who likely only watches Lakers games.  If you watch other teams you would know that there are literally a hundred guys in the league that have as much potential as Ball, Ingram, BI.  The league is littered with them, every team has guys just like them, they have tons of potential and they may realize it, and they may not, they have good games and bad games just like young players do.  Kawhi is one of the best players in the league, LeBron is the best player in the league.  The end.  

• KidRN likes this

#44 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts

Posted June 18, 2018 - 08:18 AM

Yep - can’t type it as well ok my iPhone but I always agree with your thoughts gcmd. The state of our franchise would change but to a potential dynasty and barring freak injuries there’s no way we wouldn’t be the all time leader in championship banners at the end of that and maybe be ahead a couple when the dust clears

We would also almost certainly get Lakers/Celtics in the NBA Finals (after the Lakers beat the Warriors in the actual NBA finals which is currently known as the Western Conference Finals).  How sweet would it be to push the Celtics to the side multiple seasons in a row.

#45 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,485 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 18, 2018 - 08:37 AM

Who FROM LA wants to abandon the youth for Bron and PG?

Edited by BasketballIQ, June 18, 2018 - 08:37 AM.

#46 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,832 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted June 18, 2018 - 08:43 AM

At some point you have the opportunity to swap potential stars for proven talent.  In this case, we might have the chance to swap potential for a franchise level player just entering his prime.  Those chances are very rare.

Assuming he is healthy and assuming he can reasonably explain what happened with the Spurs, I am all in on him.  I'd be great with KL and PG, especially if we just lost Ingram and Kuzma and could unload Deng's contract in the process. 

We would still have some young guns (Ball, Hart) and some decent projects (Zubac/ Bryant) around.  IT is going to need a year to rehab his reputation- I could see him re-signing for a one year deal.  Could see Frye and Lopez staying too.

#47 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,217 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted June 18, 2018 - 09:05 AM

I dont think if we sign those two thats abondoning the youth. We would trade them for another star. Nobody knows how good are young players could be but we do know how good George and James are.

Edited by erfolk, June 18, 2018 - 09:06 AM.

#48 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,485 posts

Posted June 18, 2018 - 09:29 AM

LeBron was good last season. Excellent.
Doesnt mean next year will be the same. At his mileage you are playing with fire
  • LakerGeezer likes this

#49 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,217 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted June 18, 2018 - 10:08 AM

Doesnt mean next year will be the same. At his mileage you are playing with fire

How far do you see him fall off? How can he fall far enough for you to say you wouldnt want to sign him. Your saying that with nothing to back it up.

#50 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,462 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 18, 2018 - 10:33 AM

Best case is a three peat? 

um...wth is wrong with that?

Please tell me our best case if we keep the young kids

• Rekal likes this

#51 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,462 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 18, 2018 - 10:34 AM

When did Kawhi's injury become such a big deal?

#52 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,045 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2018 - 10:37 AM

Is this a serious question?  Have you not kept up with why he's out?  Go read up on quadriceps tendinopathy.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#53 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,045 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2018 - 10:43 AM

https://www.reddit.c...ndinopathy_and/

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#54 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,883 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted June 18, 2018 - 12:01 PM

Uhmm. Trick question?

#55 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,178 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 18, 2018 - 12:05 PM

Yes.

Established talent always wins out over potential talent on a team where it's easy to shine through.

Learn the Clarkson lesson with these guys.  Yes, they've done decently here, but when you go to a team that is actually playing for something and has to play in bigger pressure situations and more meaningful games, a lot of players crumble.  As good as the kids are, remember they are here on the Lakers where essentially they're free to do whatever with little to no consequence.

Leonard has proven he's a top 3 player in the league in big situations on a much bigger stage.

You deal what you must for a guy like Leonard.

• LakerGeezer and Rekal like this

#56 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts

Posted June 18, 2018 - 12:52 PM

Bro. LeBron is the best player in the league and has been for a long long time. He just took a terrible team to the finals and put up a 50 point triple double in game 1 when the other team was throwing everything they had at him. He has had zero significant injuries and had a statistical season for the ages last season. The guy is unlike anything the league has ever seen and will make any team into an instant contender. Nobody else in the league can say that. The only thing that suggests that he is past his prime is his age, every other stat would suggest that he is firmly in his prime.

#57 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts

Posted June 18, 2018 - 01:01 PM

Me and everyone else from the city that has a clue or any idea of what it takes to win in the modern NBA. The Lakers have cap space to sign good players and young assets to trade for good players. All the Lakers young players could turn out to be great or they could turn out to be busts, only time will tell. I can tell you right now that LeBron is the best player in the game by a significant margin, Kawhi is a future Hall of Famer and top 10 in the league and PG is a all star every season for minimum the next 5. You take good players when you have the chance. Outside of Golden State who were lucky enough to draft 2 of the greatest shooters in history, I can’t name a team that got over by keeping their young players, and Golden State didn’t truly get over until they signed the 2nd best player in the league and gave up nothing. The Celtics didn’t get over until they got a superstar in Kyrie. I could go on and on. The Lakers are not in that position with anyone they currently have. Superstars win. 3 Superstars and filler is better than 2 Superstars and slightly better role players etc etc.
  • Rekal likes this

#58 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,485 posts

Posted June 18, 2018 - 01:37 PM

How far do you see him fall off? How can he fall far enough for you to say you wouldnt want to sign him. Your saying that with nothing to back it up.

Just history.

Lebron post Miami has arguably shown the killer instinct that many of us thought he didnt possess.
But everything comes harder now. It's been shiwn through histiry onve players hit a certain amount of minutes fatger time catches up.
Lets remember how well Kobe was playing on offense the year he tore his achilles then pushing himself through injuries. Lebron while more durable isnt invincible.
Turnovers are up. Defense is down.
You gotta play hard to win titles or even compete. I dont trust this phase of his career to be fruitful for his team. Maybe for him. I'm concerned about the team.

#59 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,832 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted June 18, 2018 - 02:09 PM

Bro. LeBron is the best player in the league and has been for a long long time. He just took a terrible team to the finals and put up a 50 point triple double in game 1 when the other team was throwing everything they had at him. He has had zero significant injuries and had a statistical season for the ages last season. The guy is unlike anything the league has ever seen and will make any team into an instant contender. Nobody else in the league can say that. The only thing that suggests that he is past his prime is his age, every other stat would suggest that he is firmly in his prime.

You just pretty much made BBIQ's point for him, while trying to refute it.

Edited by LakerGeezer, June 18, 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#60 Magic Bryant

Magic Bryant

Rookie

• 96 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted June 18, 2018 - 03:52 PM

This is spoken like somebody who likely only watches Lakers games.  If you watch other teams you would know that there are literally a hundred guys in the league that have as much potential as Ball, Ingram, BI.  The league is littered with them, every team has guys just like them, they have tons of potential and they may realize it, and they may not, they have good games and bad games just like young players do.  Kawhi is one of the best players in the league, LeBron is the best player in the league.  The end.  

Can you name me another 20 year old who put up 16, 5, and 4 last year? Only other player that comes close is Murray for Nuggets, who most consider a future All-Star. He's also a year older.  Trust and believe, I watch the rest of the league. Kuz at 22, was the 3rd best rookie last year. He could very well be one of the better shooters and most well-rounded scorers if he develops his pinch-post game and continues to evolve. Like what Hart brings to the the roster and seems to be that glue guy every good team needs. BI is the new Lenoard in 2 years. I like where the roster is headed, personally. Not a huge fan of Ball. I see his potential both defensively and as a distributor but I find the fact that he can't get to rim consistently and either finish or draw fouls, very troublesome for a PG and primary ball-handler. 

Now if Magic and Rob are in win now mode that's cool. But this team could be the new GSW(dynasty level) in 2-3 years if we exercise some patience. This fanbase is in short-term gratification mode and I get that. I'm tired of the losing myself. But I remember when KD, Russ, and Harden were losing every year when they were younger BUT getting better in the process. I remember when Steph, Klay, and Draymond were just young players who flashed potential from time to time but were a long ways away from being All-Stars. The thing about both those franchises is that they aren't the Lakers. So the owners and front office didn't have the same type of pressure from their fanbase to ''win now". So they could let their young core grow and mature because those franchise had no history of winning, nor championship stagima that surrounds this franchise. And that stigma is going to make the powers that be rush and try to erect something that's already in the process of being built. 

Edited by Magic Bryant, June 18, 2018 - 03:54 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users