Photo

Build a contender around youngsters

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Build a contender around youngsters (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the young core need veteran help to turn this team into contender? If so, what sort of support they should receive?

1. No,they don't need veteran help, they just need some time. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes, role players that cover their weaknesses would be adequate help. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Yes, an elite player leading this team for a few years would help them the most. (4 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

4. Yes, they need multiple elite players to show them how to win. (1 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

What are the areas this team needs to be supported most? (Pick only two)

1. Defense (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Offense (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

3. Shooting (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Effort / Toughness (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

5. Experience (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Compared to other young teams, how would you describe the overall level of this current core?

1. Already better, and have higher potential than other teams. (0 votes [0.00%])

2. About the same, but have higher potential than other teams. (3 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Worse, but can be better in future. (2 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Worse, and they don't have as much upside. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,028 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 08:36 PM

In the other thread, the case for trading the core young players was presented. However, certainly the trade option is not the only way to build a contender. As it is well known, in past 10 years quite a few teams that keep their qualified young players together were able to streak enough wins to make the playoffs, and win championships. This thread is not about building a certain team 2.0, but rather arguing for the possibility of contending through patience and perseverance.

The Lakers have $45m in cap space without extending (or trading) Deng's contract. Therefore, they have enough means to install supporting blocks to build on 35-47 team that finished 10th in conference this past season.

Questions I would like to ask:

1. What sort of game plan this team needs to be structured around?

2. What are the current needs of the team from the view of aforementioned game plan? (be specific, rather than calling for stars/superstars)

fXlFKv8.gif

#2 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,523 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2018 - 09:55 PM

Ok...so how many of these do we need?

Shouldn't this go in the "You are the GM" Forum?

How about the "Trade and Free Agency" thread?

Pot meet kettle.

• bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

#3 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,028 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 10:56 PM

No.

• Busty Bluth likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#4 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 24, 2018 - 11:55 AM

Please stop making threads!
  • GCMD likes this

#5 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,028 posts

Posted May 24, 2018 - 07:29 PM

No.

You two are welcome to vote though.

• Busty Bluth likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#6 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,523 posts

Posted May 24, 2018 - 08:36 PM

No.

You two are welcome to vote though.

I'm not trying to be rude or hostile but you're making threads with the same theme, just different ideas.  If you had started a thread similar to one another poster started, I could understand but this is just a tangent from your own thread (by your own admission) on the same subject.

Edited by GCMD, May 24, 2018 - 08:36 PM.

tenor.gif

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 24, 2018 - 11:24 PM

If we building on the young guys i think there are many solutions, but in general i would find players that fit next to our current guys in free agency and trades and i would probably gamble a bit in restricted free agency.

For instance:

Sign Tyreke Evans on mid-level-esque deal. He's shooting close to 40% from 3 over last 3 seasons, is among the very best pick and roll ball handlers in the game so i think he'd be an ideal fit next to Lonzo.

Sign Wayne Ellington to a solid deal. He's a veteran but he can defend some and on a per-minute basis he's a top 5-10 shooter.

Absorb the contract of CJ Miles from Toronto. He's slightly overpaid, but much like Ellington he's also a deadly shooter.

Then i'd offer Clint Capela a max deal. Not sure if Houston will match any offer because it's going to be insanely expensive for them to do so, but that alone makes it a good gamble.

If that works, we would have:

Lonzo / Tyreke

Hart / Ellington

Ingram / Miles

Randle / Kuz

Capela / Lopez

#8 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted May 25, 2018 - 04:36 AM

If we building on the young guys i think there are many solutions, but in general i would find players that fit next to our current guys in free agency and trades and i would probably gamble a bit in restricted free agency.

For instance:
Sign Tyreke Evans on mid-level-esque deal. He's shooting close to 40% from 3 over last 3 seasons, is among the very best pick and roll ball handlers in the game so i think he'd be an ideal fit next to Lonzo.
Sign Wayne Ellington to a solid deal. He's a veteran but he can defend some and on a per-minute basis he's a top 5-10 shooter.
Absorb the contract of CJ Miles from Toronto. He's slightly overpaid, but much like Ellington he's also a deadly shooter.

Then i'd offer Clint Capela a max deal. Not sure if Houston will match any offer because it's going to be insanely expensive for them to do so, but that alone makes it a good gamble.

Lonzo / Tyreke
Hart / Ellington
Ingram / Miles
Randle / Kuz
Capela / Lopez

If they beat GS, he's not going anywhere.

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted May 25, 2018 - 05:16 AM

If they beat GS, he's not going anywhere.

Well, then at least they get to pay millions in luxury tax money.

#10 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted May 25, 2018 - 09:28 AM

Well, then at least they get to pay millions in luxury tax money.

I think they will do that to keep a championship team together. GS has been banged up in these playoffs though. At full strength, I dont think they have this type of success.

#11 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,523 posts

Posted May 26, 2018 - 06:26 AM

For instance:

Lonzo / Tyreke

Hart / Ellington

Ingram / Miles

Randle / Kuz

Capela / Lopez

Is that you, Jim Buss?

None of those moves are worth the 65M we'd have to spend.  Tyreke / Ellington / Miles / Capela / Randle.  Not one star and we have no means of getting better if that team is bad, which is likely.  We shouldn't spend money just because we have it.

tenor.gif

#12 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,178 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 26, 2018 - 02:27 PM

we need more threadz

• GCMD and KidRN like this

#13 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,515 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 26, 2018 - 03:28 PM

Wow you’re figuring Lopez in there he may have other ideas. We need 3 point shooters with deadly accuracy and can learn defense! Guys coming out of school don’t have balanced games and by the time they acquire them their contracts up, sad but true

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, May 26, 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#14 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,523 posts

Posted May 27, 2018 - 02:41 AM

Wow you’re figuring Lopez in there he may have other ideas. We need 3 point shooters with deadly accuracy and can learn defense! Guys coming out of school don’t have balanced games and by the time they acquire them their contracts up, sad but true

I guess you've just awoken from a 9 month coma.  No way you make this statement if you've seen the rookies play this year.

tenor.gif

#15 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted May 27, 2018 - 03:15 AM

Is that you, Jim Buss?

None of those moves are worth the 65M we'd have to spend. Tyreke / Ellington / Miles / Capela / Randle. Not one star and we have no means of getting better if that team is bad, which is likely. We shouldn't spend money just because we have it.

It was an example of the type of players i would try to add. A pick-and-roll ball handler, shooting on the wings and gamble on a great young defensive anchor in Capela.

This is a great summer to spend and you could probably sign alm of them to moveable value deals.

What would you do?

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,295 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 27, 2018 - 06:06 AM

Capella is nothing like Mosgov.

Tyreke is not as old as Deng but not a good signing imo

#17 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,515 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 27, 2018 - 06:34 AM

Tick Tock time is flying soon we’ll know wish it wasn’t so long

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,295 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 27, 2018 - 06:51 AM

Randle is back. Trust me

#19 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,523 posts

Posted May 27, 2018 - 09:59 PM

It was an example of the type of players i would try to add. A pick-and-roll ball handler, shooting on the wings and gamble on a great young defensive anchor in Capela.

This is a great summer to spend and you could probably sign alm of them to moveable value deals.

What would you do?

I would punt on this offseason's Free Agency if we knew we weren't getting max players.

I'd rather the Lakers buy a bunch of 2nd round picks and try to find a gem in the 2nd round than spend the money on mid tier players.  We need stars, not more role players.  Our team is young.  Best to take our lumps now than do anything that locks us into a future that is questionable at best.

tenor.gif

#20 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted May 27, 2018 - 10:37 PM

I would punt on this offseason's Free Agency if we knew we weren't getting max players.

I'd rather the Lakers buy a bunch of 2nd round picks and try to find a gem in the 2nd round than spend the money on mid tier players.  We need stars, not more role players.  Our team is young.  Best to take our lumps now than do anything that locks us into a future that is questionable at best.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that approach although I thought this thread assumed that wasn’t a possibility.

And honestly, if we strike out this summer, who is realistically going to be available in 2019? PG, Lebron probably wont be available. Kawhi/Klay/Butler/Kemba, perhaps, but Klay looks to be signing an extension and Kawhi either signs a super-max OR gets moved. So are you really holding out for Jimmy Butler and/or Kemba?

You also have to consider that the market right now is completely saturated with talent and there’s a lot more talent available than there is money to spend. Some teams also are way above the cap so there could be talent to be had that way as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users