• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 12:40 AM

http://lakernation.c...ebuild-poll-20/

In a poll in the link above, the question was asked if people would consider trading one of the core players (Ingram, Ball, Kuzma) in order to lure a superstar. 18 people have voted, and answers are as follows:

1. I would consider trading multiple of them (27.8%)

2. I wouldn't trade any of them (22%)

3. I would trade only Kuzma (22%)

4. I would trade only Ball (17%)

5. I would trade only Ingram (11%)

So majority of the people is open to trading one of the young core for a superstar. Based on the recent rumor that Lakers would be open to a trade (see quote below), how would you go on with it? What should be the red lines that must not be crossed when we continue to rebuild the roster?

"While they like their young core and would prefer to keep those players growing together, they have told teams no player is untouchable in trades, according to multiple sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of trade and free-agent negotiations.
"To be clear, the Lakers are not actively shopping any of their players. They are willing to listen to offers and could move one of them — even a member of the talented young cadre of Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram or Josh Hart — if an offer blows them away." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776801-lakers-trade-rumors-la-has-told-teams-no-player-in-young-core-is-untouchable

fXlFKv8.gif

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,561 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 21, 2018 - 01:10 AM

Shouldn't this go in the stickied trade discussion topic?  ;)

• GCMD likes this

#3 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted May 21, 2018 - 04:27 AM

Is there even any agreement which of the young guys had the best year last season?

Aside from Hart, you can make a good case for any of them during some stretches of the season.

More might favor into contract situation than talent and potential.

But i will say this, I DIDNT miss Nance or Clarkson AT ALL once they were shipped out.

And honestly of the guys who were on the team last year even though many did not finish the year due to injury or whatever...I think i'd miss IT the most. In terms of fun guys to watch.

Short story long...If we can make our team more competitive with a 3rd star, or a 2nd if we only get one star in FA, doesn't matter to me which young one we move as we still hopefully have at least 2 young guys getting minutes to watch develop.

I mean if we could win 3 more games a month that would be such a big difference in terms of interest.

Also no losing streaks like last years 9 and didn't we have a couple of ones more than 4?

No way that happens if we turnover the roster to more vets.

I really miss watching a guy take over a game. Though we did have a few of those

2 years ago we weren't even in most games

Last year we made some improvements and still injuries and to some degree coaching (waltons bizarre treatment of JR) hurt us early on.

Bring me talent and players that play hard and smart.

On both sides of the ball if possible (and not because they're in a contract year)

Half the time as much talent as Ball has he looks disengaged or uninterested

Kuz is a negative defender saving all his energy for shooting and driving.

I'd start with trading those guys for a better point guard maybe if we get Bron and PG

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,210 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 21, 2018 - 06:42 AM

Clarkson was never good and average at best and Nance just never developed beyond anything he did as a rookie.  I liked Nance but still glad he's gone.  Hopefully Zubac is next.

• fido likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,210 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 21, 2018 - 06:45 AM

Clarkson was never good and average at best and Nance just never developed beyond anything he did as a rookie.  I liked Nance but still glad he's gone.  Hopefully Zubac is next.

• Jackson and bfc1125roy like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 07:56 AM

Honestly, if you shed all the emotional ties, there is truly no untradeable player on this roster. I love all of these kids. But developing 5 of them at once is extremely difficult. 3 is ideal. 4 is acceptable. 5 is too much for a contender.

My order of preference (yikes) would be:

1. Josh Hart

2. Lonzo Ball

3. Brandon Ingram / Kyle Kuzma (tied)

For a healthy core:

1. Kyle Kuzma

2. Lonzo Ball

3. Josh Hart

4. Brandon Ingram

fXlFKv8.gif

#7 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 21, 2018 - 07:45 PM

Lonzo's trade value isn't that high.

Ingram and Kuzma's trade values are high.

Randle is a restricted Free Agent so he can't be traded unless he agrees and signs a new contract.

It's not rocket science.  If we land 2 top 10 NBA Wings this offseason, if we choose to move part of the young core, Ingram and Kuzma are both expendable and valuable enough right now to get something we need and want.

If you wait too long to decide if a player is a Star, you run into the same issue we're in with Randle - having to weigh their worth next to REAL STARS and potential getting NOTHING for your 4 -5 year investment in them.  Other NBA teams scout our youth as much as we do.  Once it's clear these guys won't be making the "Giannis Leap", other teams will know that too and our young guys will lose most of their trade value.

Edited by GCMD, May 21, 2018 - 07:46 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#8 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted May 22, 2018 - 05:00 AM

Honestly how many players make a Giannis leap though.

Its so damn rare.

In the last 5 years id put only

Giannis

Porzingis

Harden

Westbrook

Every other player starts out better (Simmons and Mitchell maybe) or more often doesn't jump to crazy good levels.

Thats a lot of ballers 

Way more likely what we have are solid NBA guys who can go on to good careers but maybe not ever all-stars and even less likely to make it to the HALL

Edited by kball, May 22, 2018 - 05:01 AM.

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#9 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,596 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 22, 2018 - 07:30 AM

Honestly how many players make a Giannis leap though.
Its so damn rare.

In the last 5 years id put only
Giannis
Porzingis
Harden
Westbrook

Every other player starts out better (Simmons and Mitchell maybe) or more often doesn't jump to crazy good levels.
Thats a lot of ballers 

Way more likely what we have are solid NBA guys who can go on to good careers but maybe not ever all-stars and even less likely to make it to the HALL

Westbrook was clearly going to be a star as a rookie imo. He just needed to improve in a couple of other areas but I remember watching him snd calling him the next Kobe his rookie season.

#10 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 23, 2018 - 05:21 AM

Westbrook is not the next Kobe! He has modeled some of his game off Mamba but in OKC nah not happenin’

#11 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2018 - 10:16 AM

Even if Magic is willing to trade off pieces of the young core...he should be careful about publicizing it. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#12 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 11:14 AM

Even if Magic is willing to trade off pieces of the young core...he should be careful about publicizing it.

#13 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 11:14 AM

Totally agree play poker, say you’re going to do the opposite or remain silent
  • kray28 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users