• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 24, 2018 - 02:02 PM

No matter who we land this summer, our focus should remain on becoming an ELITE defensive team.

GSW W/L

2013-2014 - 51-31 - lost in 1st round

2014-2015 - 67-15 - Won Ch'ip

2015-2016 - 73-9 - lost to CLE in NBA Finals

2016-2017 - 67-15 - Won Ch'ip

2017-2018 - 58-24 but KD's played 68 games and Steph only 51.  Last year, KD played 62 games and Steph played 79.

GSW Defensive Rating

2013-2014 - 4th (lost in 1st round)

2014-2015 - 1st (Won Ch'ip)

2015-2016 - 5th (lost to CLE in NBA Finals)

2016-2017 - 2nd (Won Ch'ip)

2017-2018 - 11th

GSW offensive rating / assists rating

2013-2014 - 12th / 7th

2014-2015 - 2nd / 1st

2015-2016 - 1st / 1st

2016-2017 - 1st / 1st

2017-2018 - 3rd / 1st

GSW Pace / Rebounding

2013-2014 - 6th / 5th

2014-2015 - 1st / 6th

2015-2016 - 2nd / 4th

2016-2017 - 4th / 7th

2017-2018 - 5th / 17th

Lakers 2017-2018

W/L - 35-47

Defensive Rating - 12th

Offensive Rating / Assists Rating - 23rd / 7th

Pace / Rebounding - 2nd / 2nd

If you compare that just to GSW's 2013-2014 season, you start to see where we can be next year:

W/L - 51-31

Defensive Rating - 4th

Offensive Rating / Assists Rating - 12rd / 7th

Pace / Rebounding - 6th / 5th

One of the things that KILLED our offensive rating was our 29th rank in TOV but 2013-2014 GSW's TOV rank was 22nd so it seems to be a hallmark of youth.  If we continue to focus on being a great defensive and rebounding team that plays fast and loose, we could make the appropriate improvements.  We MUST do that no matter who we add in Free Agency.

Edited by GCMD, April 24, 2018 - 02:04 PM.

• bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,561 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 24, 2018 - 11:05 PM

Getting someone like George would obviously help our cause, but other players have to step it up too. We need Lonzo to continue to play above average defense. Ingram has got to use his length to become a very good wing defender. And Randle should work on his rim protecting skills as well. All championship teams have 2 elite defenders. Right now we don't have any, and even with a LBJ + George signing this summer, one of our guys will have to step up. 

#3 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted April 25, 2018 - 02:37 AM

I think both BI and Ball CAN BE amazing defensive players.

The immediate problem i see is either conditioning and or injury prone players.

That's the end of the court that really takes plays off when players are fighting soreness, aches and pains, and some hitch in their giddyup. 

The way i see both those guys is getting heavy minutes cause they do so many things on both ends of the court.  Now whether they can play heavy minutes on a team that will hopefully play closer to 92 games than 82 games i still have my doubts about their ability to stay on the court.

But im less concerned now after seeing them of their ability on the court.

Both going to be very impactful players either here or somewhere else in a big time trade

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#4 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 26, 2018 - 11:46 AM

The real issue with the Defensive slippage was injuries which effected the record as well, must get NBA ready!!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, April 26, 2018 - 11:46 AM.

#5 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted May 19, 2018 - 09:46 AM

The real issue with the Defensive slippage was injuries which effected the record as well, must get NBA ready!!

and from the looks of it the core is taking it seriously, now what’s the SL roster?

#6 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted June 26, 2018 - 10:44 AM

Now that we are closer to Free Agency, I want to reiterate my points.

LeBron/PG13 will help us defensively but I'm not sure we can reach the top 5 without rim protection at the 4/5.

LeBron/PG13 and KAWHI would be a top 3 defensive team (easily) with or without rim protection at the 5.

If we get either LeBron or PG13 (alone), we should look at Capela.  I'm not saying we should dismiss a Randle return but I'd feel more comfortable with a lob threat/ defensive anchor than a small ball 5 who has questionable focus on the defensive end.  If LeBron or PG13 have to be our best perimeter defender, we can't expect them to be their best on the offensive side.  

I wanted us to draft at least 1 guy who had natural rim protection skills.  We passed on Robert Williams and Omari Spellman and went with more offense with Moritz Wagner...not ideal.  I would have been ok if they'd taken a flier on Chimezie Metu in the 2nd round...not ideal but at least it acknowledges the need...water under the bridge.

Some people balk at trading 7 players for Kawhi...Kawhi's defensive impact is WORTH those 7 players.  If the goal is to beat GSW, it's about who starts/ends the games, not role players.  It's about defense and top level talent.  We can find ring-chasers to fill out the squad.  We can't find a Kawhi-type in that price range unless we draft him.

Edited by GCMD, June 26, 2018 - 10:44 AM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

#7 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 820 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 26, 2018 - 11:17 AM

who cares about defense if we get KD and lebron?

LeBron/PG13 will help us defensively but I'm not sure we can reach the top 5 without rim protection at the 4/5.

LeBron/PG13 and KAWHI would be a top 3 defensive team (easily) with or without rim protection at the 5.

If we get either LeBron or PG13 (alone), we should look at Capela.  I'm not saying we should dismiss a Randle return but I'd feel more comfortable with a lob threat/ defensive anchor than a small ball 5 who has questionable focus on the defensive end.  If LeBron or PG13 have to be our best perimeter defender, we can't expect them to be their best on the offensive side.  

I wanted us to draft at least 1 guy who had natural rim protection skills.  We passed on Robert Williams and Omari Spellman and went with more offense with Moritz Wagner...not ideal.  I would have been ok if they'd taken a flier on Chimezie Metu in the 2nd round...not ideal but at least it acknowledges the need...water under the bridge.

Some people balk at trading 7 players for Kawhi...Kawhi's defensive impact is WORTH those 7 players.  If the goal is to beat GSW, it's about who starts/ends the games, not role players.  It's about defense and top level talent.  We can find ring-chasers to fill out the squad.  We can't find a Kawhi-type in that price range unless we draft him.

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 5,561 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 26, 2018 - 11:21 AM

Been saying the same thing. Either we keep Randle and he becomes a Capela-like rim protector. Or Ingram learns how to be an All NBA defensive player from George and use his length properly. 

Need one of those 2 to beat GSW

• GCMD likes this

#9 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted June 26, 2018 - 06:55 PM

Capela s a restricted so Rockets will try to keep him and CP3.

#10 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted June 26, 2018 - 06:56 PM

Our Defense was very good when we were healthy the point is staying on the court, and hoping new additions bring the heat on D

#11 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted June 26, 2018 - 08:55 PM

Our Defense was very good when we were healthy the point is staying on the court, and hoping new additions bring the heat on D

Good, yes.  It wasn't top 5 good though.

We switched a lot and sometimes that wasn't a good thing.

We don't have a rim protector and that's not great.

The goal is to beat GSW and HOU.  Surrounding LeBron and/or PG13 with people who can contribute on that end is more important than their potential offensively.  CP3 and Harden are surrounded by 3&D players and a defensive Anchor in Capela.  That's how they almost knocked off GSW...and they would have swept CLE too.

tenor.gif

#12 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted June 30, 2018 - 10:18 AM

Coming from damn near last place on D, we did very well with rookies, this year much better but our new rookies need schoolin’ Lets get it on!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, June 30, 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 30, 2018 - 05:46 PM

LeBron was amongst most terrible defenders

#14 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted June 30, 2018 - 08:12 PM

LeBron was amongst most terrible defenders

Ok...we get it.

tenor.gif

#15 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,949 posts

Posted July 01, 2018 - 02:33 PM

GCMD you would rather have Robert Williams seriously bad judgement, he just missed his flight to Boston more excuses coming... yes we could’ve had Markelle Fultz too but no you say now that’s it’s known, I’m happy with Lonzo he has energy and the team believes in him this is very important if you want to get a chip! His shooting will be there this season

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users