328 replies to this topic

#321 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 2,091 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 09, 2018 - 05:23 PM

GOAT only player to play through injuries.

c'mon!!!! that was ridiculous, a cast in his hand hahaha

#322 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,028 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 05:24 PM

Somebody should ask Jerry West how he feels about his losses (for millionth time) and how other people think about Jerry West on his era. He lost like 4 series that went to 7 games. It was not butt-whooping like Lebron received 4th time now. But nobody puts him higher than Wilt or Russell despite him averaging 27-7-7 for his career. Dude even received FMVP on a losing team. That is how much respect that was shown to him in 60s. 50 years later, however, only the wins are remembered. So 3-6 very much matters.
  • Persian Gulf likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#323 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,803 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 10, 2018 - 12:10 AM

Sure it matters I just don't believe championships are a trump card in a team sport. It's one of maybe 7 or 8 categories I would use to measure one player vs another. For example my opinion of Kevin Durant hasn't really changed since he joined the Warriors. MVPs I put even less stock in because it's given out by the media. What absolutely would effect my opinion is if LeBron was stinking up the joint and actively costing his team wins / championships.

I mean....if he only lost in 7 games in his 6 finals losses do you really expect me to believe that would positively effect your opinion of him and you wouldn't use it against him? Folds when the pressure is on in the biggest moments, choke artist, etc. Btw I'm pretty sure the year West won finals mvp was the first year it was given out. He played out of his skull but that had more to do with having no basis or criteria for the award.

Edited by lakerfan98, June 10, 2018 - 12:51 AM.

#324 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,500 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 10, 2018 - 03:20 PM

Sure it matters I just don't believe championships are a trump card in a team sport. It's one of maybe 7 or 8 categories I would use to measure one player vs another. For example my opinion of Kevin Durant hasn't really changed since he joined the Warriors. MVPs I put even less stock in because it's given out by the media. What absolutely would effect my opinion is if LeBron was stinking up the joint and actively costing his team wins / championships.

I mean....if he only lost in 7 games in his 6 finals losses do you really expect me to believe that would positively effect your opinion of him and you wouldn't use it against him? Folds when the pressure is on in the biggest moments, choke artist, etc. Btw I'm pretty sure the year West won finals mvp was the first year it was given out. He played out of his skull but that had more to do with having no basis or criteria for the award.

Agreed,

Championships can be a trump card in other sports, especially such as American Football where the Quarterback is obviously the featured piece and playoffs are literally decided by just one game.  However, basketball is probably one of, if not the most team oriented sport.  

At the end of the day, these losses, especially the fact that Lebron has 2 sweeps under his belt, will always be pointed out in a GOAT argument.  However, I think it's key to realize that in all of his appearances, which series was Lebron's team actually the favorites to win it?  Jordan was a great player, but at the same time, the Bulls were always viewed as the favorites.  Lebron on the other hand rarely played for the favored team and in my opinion has faced some of the greatest teams in NBA History.

At the moment, I still have Jordan > Lebron.  However, when it's all said and done, I won't be surprised if Lebron surpasses him.  

• lakerfan98 likes this

#325 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,803 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 06:25 PM

2011 stands out as well as 2014. In the other 4 losses his team was either an underdog or if we're being honest a long shot. 2007 and 2018 the talent gap was laughable. I had Warriors in 5 and if not for the game 1 debacle I believe that would have been the likely outcome but I'm Damn sure not gonna sit here and pretend that a sweep surprised me.
  • LakeShow1o1 and Navidballack like this

#326 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,028 posts

Posted June 11, 2018 - 07:01 AM

If Lebron lost in 7 games, for sure that would affect his legacy in other way. Being able to win 3 games instead of 0 matters.

2001 Lakers are considered to have GOAT postseason performance. Why? Because they went 15-1. If they lost 10 more games, would their legacy be same?

For Lebron, the Final performances are especially put under microscope because he is coasting his way thru weak Eastern Conference. Instead of battling against tough opponents, he gets to preserve his energy for Finals. That has been the case in most of his 8-year Finals run.

And Jerry West point was made to show how a legacy can be perceived after a certain amount of time passes. The Finals MVP could have been given for the first time, but they didn't give it to Bill Russell, the man who had won 11th championship at that point. Instead they honored West's 40 ppg Finals performance. They made the man logo for gods sake.

Lebron's career, legacy etc. will be more objectively understood after he retires. Right now it is really hard to argue against his statistics but with time the effect of that will decrease. In 10 years, when people look at 16/17 and 17/18 seasons Westbrook's individual stats could very well outshine whatever Lebron put up in those years. And 1-8 game performance will be the only thing to extract for him.

fXlFKv8.gif

#327 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,803 posts

Posted June 11, 2018 - 10:36 AM

Yea simply stating someone's Finals record is a gross oversimplification.  I'll leave that to media talking heads and lowest common denominator fans.  

#328 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,295 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 15, 2018 - 09:26 AM

Dallas was a travesty.
Orlando before that was him being exposed
Boston in 2010 was him pouting and being weird
Spurs in 2013 was just an ass whipping.

Last Finals with Kyrie... he was defeated before the series started.

Two of his Finals wins required a ridiculous choke

#329 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,295 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 15, 2018 - 09:27 AM

As well all time 3s

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users