Photo

If the Lakers have a perfect offseason, are they contenders?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 10, 2018 - 04:09 AM

Perfect offseason:

Draft Mitchell Robinson.

Trade #47 and cash to Atlanta for #34 and draft Josh Okogie.

Trade Deng, Chicago 2019 2nd and LA 2019 FRP for cap space.

Sign Lebron, George.

Re-sign Randle.

Re-sign Lopez using room exception.

Sign Seth Curry and Marco Belinelli to vet minimum. 

That's it.

Lonzo - George - Ingram - Lebron - Randle

Curry, Hart, Kuz, Belinelli, Lopez, Bryant, Okogie, Mitchell.

Go into the season with this team and then address whatever need we might have during the season via trades. If Lonzo and BI make a leap then perhaps we keep it the way it is.

#82 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,295 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 10, 2018 - 07:04 AM

Seth for vet min ... trade Deng

Lol

#83 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,803 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 10, 2018 - 09:52 AM

He never said it was realistic. This is more of a best case scenario thread. But you already knew that didn't.......eh never mind maybe you didn't lol.
  • GCMD and DanishLakerFan like this

#84 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,207 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 11, 2018 - 07:52 PM

If we get Bron I think we can be a contender. I do not think the off-season has to be perfect for us to have a shot. If you just add Bron to our team now we become a playoff team with a shot to beat anyone. Of course beating HOU and GS would be a long shot, but we have the pieces to contend with both of them. Throw in George and I think we are a lot closer than many would give us credit for. The big worry is if adding those two stars would stunt our young guys' growth. However, we would have a good shot at beating both those teams because we would have length and defensive presence to make them work on the perimeter, which is what you need to beat HOU or GS.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 11, 2018 - 07:53 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#85 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,869 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 12, 2018 - 01:39 PM

Maybe its just me but Im not putting HOU on this pedestal like that.  I think they had a great strategy and in the end lost to the superior team but I don't see them as some all time great team that is going to be dominant every year.  Put Lebron with this team and they are just as good IMO. 

I think due to the record some fans didn't see the growth in this team but they are built to handle teams like HOU due to defensive versatility.  The Lakers biggest issue this past season was halfcourt offense.  Bron changes that overnight.

If we get Bron I think we can be a contender. I do not think the off-season has to be perfect for us to have a shot. If you just add Bron to our team now we become a playoff team with a shot to beat anyone. Of course beating HOU and GS would be a long shot, but we have the pieces to contend with both of them. Throw in George and I think we are a lot closer than many would give us credit for. The big worry is if adding those two stars would stunt our young guys' growth. However, we would have a good shot at beating both those teams because we would have length and defensive presence to make them work on the perimeter, which is what you need to beat HOU or GS.

• GCMD and PhillyLaker24 like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#86 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,748 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted June 12, 2018 - 02:36 PM

Maybe its just me but Im not putting HOU on this pedestal like that.  I think they had a great strategy and in the end lost to the superior team but I don't see them as some all time great team that is going to be dominant every year.  Put Lebron with this team and they are just as good IMO. 

I think due to the record some fans didn't see the growth in this team but they are built to handle teams like HOU due to defensive versatility.  The Lakers biggest issue this past season was halfcourt offense.  Bron changes that overnight.

It will be interesting to see what Morey does.  Pretty sure there was a handshake deal with CP3 to give him a max deal.  Does Morey renege on that to chase Lebron now?  I dont see them signing both, and they pretty much have to sign Capela.

#87 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,207 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 13, 2018 - 06:48 AM

I agree that GS is the better team, but we cannot discount what the Rockets did to the warriors. GS did look like a different team without Iggy so we have to account for that. However, for the two games after Iggy went down HOU looked like the better team because they can match up defensively with the Warriors and hit 3's at a good clip. They are team that is built to defend the perimeter and knock down three's, which means if they get hot its hard to keep up. They were potentially a Paul hamstring away from beating the Warriors. It is impossible to know if they will be as good next year, but they were a game away from beating an "all time great team." For these reasons, I think we have to accord them some respect for the contender they may be next year.

I agree with you that we are built for teams like HOU, which also includes GS. Other than Durant, just because he is a match up nightmare, we have the defensive attributes to match up with GS. Curry struggles mightily against athletic size/length, which is why HOU was able to nullify him for such long stretches. If you put Bron in our lineup we have a defender at every position to switch onto Curry and give him trouble. Offense now is really all about getting the switches you want. IDK how many possession you just see screen after screen so Curry could get Love/Thompson on him, or Lebron trying to get Javale or Curry on him. Our team would be able to make those switches and  not be hurt by them, which is exactly what HOU did and it worked very well against GS.

I think we both will agree that many in the media are discounting our shot to challenge those teams if we just add Bron. Now, if you throw in George we have a team that cannot only contend with them, but have the best chance in the league of beating GS.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 13, 2018 - 06:51 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#88 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,869 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 13, 2018 - 06:56 AM

The only way Bron to HOU happens is if CLE takes back like 2 bad contracts and they don't have any real sweeteners to dump off Ryno.  Their 1st rounders aren't going to worth much of anything and they don't have any quality players on cheap deals either.

It will be interesting to see what Morey does.  Pretty sure there was a handshake deal with CP3 to give him a max deal.  Does Morey renege on that to chase Lebron now?  I dont see them signing both, and they pretty much have to sign Capela.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#89 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,515 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted June 13, 2018 - 09:48 AM

Houston losing Capella would alter their flow, but need to maintain last seasons offense so resigning CO3 is mandatory! Or would need to get lucky to pick up substitute players also Ariza is FA, so they’re not all that.

#90 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,594 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 13, 2018 - 03:37 PM

Perfect offseason would be one where our starting lineup looks like 

Lonzo

Kawhi

PG

LeBron

And there's not a team in the NBA who can score more than 90 on that 

• GCMD and Olabebeh like this

#91 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,523 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 14, 2018 - 04:23 AM

My perfect offseason #1:

Extend/Stretch Deng

Sign PG/LeBron/Randle (15M/yr)

Draft Pick #25 - Mitchell Robinson or Kevin Huerter or Jerome Robinson or Gary Trent Jr

As far as Trades, I'd trade for a pure shooter or rim protector.  We need both even more than we need a backup PG.  I don't see LeBron and Lonzo off the court at the same time for very long or at all unless Lonzo is injured.  If we can't find a good fit, stand pat and see how things develop during the season.

If we could sign JJ Redick, he'd be almost the perfect SG.  I still think Doug McDermott would be a valuable player in this offense off the bench.

Ingram will be an issue.  If he's committed to becoming a dominant on-ball scorer, that's not going to happen with LeBron/PG as the best 2 players...

Perfect offseason #2:

Extend/Stretch Deng

Sign PG/Capela

Trade for Kawhi

Same Draft as above.

Perfect offseason #3

Extend/Stretch Deng

Sign PG/Randle

Trade for Karl-Anthony Towns

Same Draft as above.

#1 - Lonzo/PG/LeBron/Kuzma/Randle

#2 - Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/???/Capela

#3 - Lonzo/???/PG/Randle/KAT

I think the consistent theme is add PG13 and another star.  Hopefully, that star is LeBron in Free Agency but if we have to trade for the 2nd star, so be it.  For the right player, I'd trade Lonzo and start Hart or Ingram at the 1 in a heartbeat.

Perfect offseason for me is the Lakers doing what it takes to put together a team that makes sense both within Luke's Offense and Defense while opening a legit 3-4 year window for contention.  I don't care about 5 years from now.  Waiting doesn't guarantee that and we don't have a legit Franchise player to build around so our "Process" should reach it's climax now or next offseason at the latest.

We aren't the Warriors nor is the Warriors Path the most common or only path we could take.  We have suffered long enough...time to move forward.

• DanishLakerFan and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users