Photo

If the Lakers have a perfect offseason, are they contenders?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 05, 2018 - 02:50 PM

i like this energy!

7) Keep cancer LeBron out of the Lakers. F U LeBron. Where were you when we needed you? Where were you when Kobe was hurt and past his prime? Now that the fruit is ripe your trying to come along and enjoy a free ride. F U. Go juice up on your "organic supplements" somewhere else and force that team to sign your useless friends alongside with you. You cancer.

• Tensai likes this

#62 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,567 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 05, 2018 - 05:53 PM

So no to LeBron AND PG13?

I'm dead, cuz...I can't do it...I'm not doing this.

• KidRN and lakerfan98 like this

#63 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,819 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 05, 2018 - 06:54 PM

So no to LeBron AND PG13?

I'm dead, cuz...I can't do it...I'm not doing this.

This is ridiculous!
  • GCMD likes this

#64 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,409 posts

Posted April 05, 2018 - 07:33 PM

The perfect season for the Lakers would be:
1) Signing Paul George to a 3 year (guaranteed) at $23M/yr with a team option (meaning he is a Laker if WE want, if we don't he's a FA) on a 4th year for $16.5M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses for Year 4
2) Signing Demarcus Cousins to a 2 year (guaranteed) deal with Year 1 paying him $12.5M and Year 2 paying him $30.5M with a team option on Year 3 for $25M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses
3) Trading Luol Deng along with draft picks to the Atlanta Hawks (the Hawks will do it)
4) Picking up Liangelo Ball off waivers after the draft (hoping Mark Cuban or Pat Riley doesn't draft him just to spite us) and put him on the G-League
5) Begin a dialogue with RC Buford on Kawhi Leonard, and actually broker some sort of deal giving them Brandon Ingram and a future conditional 2nd round pick 3 seasons from now (the condition being, if we are less than a .500 team at a time, they do not get the pick and we keep it)
6) Sign some sort of B- PG to a 4 year contract paying off $20M total. This will give us leverage on Lonzo and Lavar as a sort of, if you want to leave cause we won't sign the brothers and let Lavar Ball become President of basketball operations, we are more than fine letting Lonzo go. We got enough good players.
7) Keep cancer LeBron out of the Lakers. F U LeBron. Where were you when we needed you? Where were you when Kobe was hurt and past his prime? Now that the fruit is ripe your trying to come along and enjoy a free ride. F U. Go juice up on your "organic supplements" somewhere else and force that team to sign your useless friends alongside with you. You cancer.
I'm not if some of those contract provisions would be possible, but generally, the players we go after, and the price ranges should be something like that.
If all those things happened would we be title contenders? HELL YEAH we'd be title contenders. Sure it would take 25 games or so for the guys to gel. But it would be dissappointing if we didn't win the title.
If Cousins injury will give us leverage in the negotiations we should go for it just as long as we don't overcommitt. If he can still give 14/12 a game still demanding double teams in the post, he will have been worth it on a short term deal, and he wouldn't be hard to trade if he got a long term deal, so long as he can at least get 10/10 and there's only 1 year left on his deal.
LAKERS!!!

This post should be pinned. Pure gold.

• lakerfan98 likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#65 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,745 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 05, 2018 - 10:57 PM

The objective is to create a team that can contend for more than just 2-3 years. In order to do that, we need to aquire 1-2 max guys over these next two offseasons without losing any of our assets. At the same time, we need at least one of our own guys to take a leap forward. Luckily we have 3-4 guys who could do just that in Julius, Lonzo, Kuzma and Ingram.

Ideally we would add the two max guys (Boogie, Lebron and George) this offseason while keeping Randle. If we dont get the two, then perhaps we get one max guy in which case we should try to keep our options open for 2019 or perhaps look at possible trade scenarios.

#66 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,290 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted April 06, 2018 - 05:29 AM

So now we don't need PG? Nor Bron? 

Please step away from the glue.

• GCMD likes this

#67 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted April 06, 2018 - 05:48 AM

The objective is to create a team that can contend for more than just 2-3 years. In order to do that, we need to aquire 1-2 max guys over these next two offseasons without losing any of our assets. At the same time, we need at least one of our own guys to take a leap forward. Luckily we have 3-4 guys who could do just that in Julius, Lonzo, Kuzma and Ingram.

Ideally we would add the two max guys (Boogie, Lebron and George) this offseason while keeping Randle. If we dont get the two, then perhaps we get one max guy in which case we should try to keep our options open for 2019 or perhaps look at possible trade scenarios.

Opportunities are fluid though.

While best case it would be NICE to assemble a team that competes for more than 2-3 years, i think you're looking at the exception rather than the rule. In last 10 years how many teams would that include?

Lakers

Spurs

Heat

Cavs

Warriors

The way the cap and contracts have morphed i'm not sure its as feasible as lucking into (with a little planning) a shorter window with older marquee players that get you there faster at the expense of some young assets that you hate losing but ultimately have to.

And then the team blows up or gets old quicker than we'd all like

I'm more than fine with a 2-3 year window of a top team. Many cities go 30-50 years without that (see GS).

I think Ball, Kuz, Randle, and BI all have exciting maybe a couple even legendary careers ahead of them, but i see no reason to at least consider losing 2 of them (hopefully to acquire other assets if possible) to assemble a squad more ready to go deep and keep this fan base interested past feb

I mean, ask Heat fans if their 4 year reign was worth it (even though they had a title going into it a few years earlier).

Or ask GS fans if it were to end today if it was a good ride for them?

And worth it.

Answer is always yes.

Now whether we can make the right moves AND be a top team (do we have the right coaching? Training staff? etc)...that's never a sure thing with injuries, egos, luck...

Edited by kball, April 06, 2018 - 05:54 AM.

• GCMD likes this

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#68 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,290 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted April 06, 2018 - 08:19 AM

I don't diagree this is why if you can land studs while they're still young, you do it! For example: PG is only 27 and if available Kawhi is only 26 and thats how you build to compete now and for the next 4-5 years.

That said IF Kawhi is available, it would hurt but I would consider moving a few kids to make this happen. 

Edited by LACAS, April 06, 2018 - 08:20 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#69 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,567 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 05:51 PM

Stars win in the NBA.  DET was the last team to win a Championship without a legit superstar, IIRC.

Since 1998 (20 years), here were the NBA Finals MVPs

MJ (1998)

Duncan (1999)

Shaq (2000-2002)

Duncan (2003)

Billups (2004)

Duncan (2005)

D Wade (2006)

Tony Parker (2007)

Pierce (2008)

Kobe (2009-2010)

Dirk (2011)

LeBron (2012-2013)

Kawhi (2014)

Iggy (2015) GSW

LeBron (2016)

KD (2017)

Pass on PG13 or LeBron and hope Kuzma, Ingram or Ball reaches the level of any of those players?

I get wanting to keep the kids but I don't think there is any logic behind passing on max players...not if the goal is to win an NBA Championship.

• UKUGA and DanishLakerFan like this

#70 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,745 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 06, 2018 - 10:24 PM

Opportunities are fluid though.

While best case it would be NICE to assemble a team that competes for more than 2-3 years, i think you're looking at the exception rather than the rule. In last 10 years how many teams would that include?

Lakers

Spurs

Heat

Cavs

Warriors

The way the cap and contracts have morphed i'm not sure its as feasible as lucking into (with a little planning) a shorter window with older marquee players that get you there faster at the expense of some young assets that you hate losing but ultimately have to.

And then the team blows up or gets old quicker than we'd all like

I'm more than fine with a 2-3 year window of a top team. Many cities go 30-50 years without that (see GS).

I think Ball, Kuz, Randle, and BI all have exciting maybe a couple even legendary careers ahead of them, but i see no reason to at least consider losing 2 of them (hopefully to acquire other assets if possible) to assemble a squad more ready to go deep and keep this fan base interested past feb

I mean, ask Heat fans if their 4 year reign was worth it (even though they had a title going into it a few years earlier).

Or ask GS fans if it were to end today if it was a good ride for them?

And worth it.

Answer is always yes.

Now whether we can make the right moves AND be a top team (do we have the right coaching? Training staff? etc)...that's never a sure thing with injuries, egos, luck...

My point is this. We've currently on year 5 of a rebuild and i'm not interested in having to go through that for just 2-3 years of being in contention (and maybe not even winning a title) and while i would love to add a guy like Lebron and also would be ok with breaking up a part of the young core we have for the right players i think it is important to create a long-term contender like the Spurs that wont have to go through a 5-yr rebuild.

• GCMD likes this

#71 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,567 posts

Posted April 07, 2018 - 01:47 AM

My point is this. We've currently on year 5 of a rebuild and i'm not interested in having to go through that for just 2-3 years of being in contention (and maybe not even winning a title) and while i would love to add a guy like Lebron and also would be ok with breaking up a part of the young core we have for the right players i think it is important to create a long-term contender like the Spurs that wont have to go through a 5-yr rebuild.

I agree.  We don't have to move our core to add max players so it makes a lot of sense to keep them.

• UKUGA and Persian Gulf like this

#72 Persian Gulf

Persian Gulf

@WeCarpeDiem

• 4,816 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted April 07, 2018 - 09:44 PM

The perfect season for the Lakers would be:
1) Signing Paul George to a 3 year (guaranteed) at $23M/yr with a team option (meaning he is a Laker if WE want, if we don't he's a FA) on a 4th year for $16.5M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses for Year 4
2) Signing Demarcus Cousins to a 2 year (guaranteed) deal with Year 1 paying him $12.5M and Year 2 paying him $30.5M with a team option on Year 3 for $25M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses
3) Trading Luol Deng along with draft picks to the Atlanta Hawks (the Hawks will do it)
4) Picking up Liangelo Ball off waivers after the draft (hoping Mark Cuban or Pat Riley doesn't draft him just to spite us) and put him on the G-League
5) Begin a dialogue with RC Buford on Kawhi Leonard, and actually broker some sort of deal giving them Brandon Ingram and a future conditional 2nd round pick 3 seasons from now (the condition being, if we are less than a .500 team at a time, they do not get the pick and we keep it)
6) Sign some sort of B- PG to a 4 year contract paying off $20M total. This will give us leverage on Lonzo and Lavar as a sort of, if you want to leave cause we won't sign the brothers and let Lavar Ball become President of basketball operations, we are more than fine letting Lonzo go. We got enough good players.
I'm not if some of those contract provisions would be possible, but generally, the players we go after, and the price ranges should be something like that.
If all those things happened would we be title contenders? HELL YEAH we'd be title contenders. Sure it would take 25 games or so for the guys to gel. But it would be dissappointing if we didn't win the title.
If Cousins injury will give us leverage in the negotiations we should go for it just as long as we don't overcommitt. If he can still give 14/12 a game still demanding double teams in the post, he will have been worth it on a short term deal, and he wouldn't be hard to trade if he got a long term deal, so long as he can at least get 10/10 and there's only 1 year left on his deal.
LAKERS!!!

MAKE LAKERS GREAT AGAIN! 

Edited by Persian Gulf, April 07, 2018 - 09:44 PM.

• UKUGA, DaSmoothOperator and MambaMentality like this

#73 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,567 posts

Posted April 07, 2018 - 11:31 PM

The perfect offseason (IMHO) is one where we make simple moves to add players, not intricate trades that don't have a chance.

Clear up the space to add 2 max players and the rest will take care of itself.

#74 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,222 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 23, 2018 - 11:56 AM

You are going to pay Cousins no 30mil and don’t know how he’ll play health or fit-wise? Not sound imo

#75 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,222 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 05:24 AM

As a longtime Lakers fan I always thought we were great but now not the greatest, last seasons team is like GSWs game last nite some good flashes but can’t close the door at the end. Next season will be even better!

#76 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,122 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2018 - 10:34 AM

Replace KCP with PG, keep Randle, find a way to keep IT. I think we are borderline contenders (7th or 8th seed). 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#77 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,222 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 02:23 PM

With the strength of the West you’d need somebody to step way the hell up!

#78 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,222 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 05:07 PM

Sorry Bro not hoping for last place in playoffs! We are the Lakers chip or bust!

#79 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,567 posts

Posted May 23, 2018 - 06:40 PM

Replace KCP with PG, keep Randle, find a way to keep IT. I think we are borderline contenders (7th or 8th seed). 

That's a back up plan.  7th-8th seed should not be the goal when we have this much cap space.

• bfc1125roy and KidRN like this

#80 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 4,222 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 08:58 PM

Keep the Faith Baby! 6th seed or better!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, June 09, 2018 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users