Photo

If the Lakers have a perfect offseason, are they contenders?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,063 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 13, 2018 - 11:38 AM

I actually agree with you although he's better built for the bumps than Kobe was.

And your 2nd statement is exactly why I prefer to pass on Bron.

No way I'd pass on him. He has enough in him to win at least one more ring, Simply winning one ring is enough of a reason to sign a player. Even when he declines, the guy is still an elite passer and probably the best mentor that money could buy at this point.

As far a being better built to take more bumps than Kobe, that may be true but he consistently takes more bumps to begin with. Bron's game is still heavily based on his athleticism. At this age, Kobe's game wasn't. Kobe stopped relying on pure athleticism during his prime years when Shaq left. 

I hated Lebron for most of his career because he was the only legit threat to Kobe. As I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate what he has done for the game just as much as I do for Kobe. I'd love to see yet another all time great hold up the trophy in the purple and gold. That alone would solidify the fact that LA is still the place to be. Bron coming here does more for the future of this franchise than these young guys could ever dream of.

Edited by KidRN, February 13, 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• GCMD and Persian Gulf like this

#42 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 13, 2018 - 12:11 PM

KD has so much money coming in from endorsements that I doubt he cares about his nba salary being slightly lower than it could be especially considering the fact that he is in the middle of a dynasty type run on arguably the greatest team in nba history.

Steph and KD alone could get a team to the WCF every year for the next 4 or 5 years as long as neither is seriously injured. Klay is likely the only guy that leaves and even without him, they are still the best team out West. With Bron declining, this team has a legit shot at 3 or 4 rings in a row.

Once again, KD is the best player on that team. This already is his legacy! He is a legit #1 option and has been his entire career, and he is a legit MVP candidate!

Well, that's my point. What makes GS such a unique team is that they have 4 all-stars. If they break that up they wont have that same advantage anymore and i think since Durant is their best player i think he could find a similar situation elsewhere.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, February 13, 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#43 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,917 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 13, 2018 - 12:41 PM

No way I'd pass on him. He has enough in him to win at least one more ring, Simply winning one ring is enough of a reason to sign a player. Even when he declines, the guy is still an elite passer and probably the best mentor that money could buy at this point.

I hated Lebron for most of his career because he was the only legit threat to Kobe. As I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate what he has done for the game just as much as I do for Kobe. I'd love to see yet another all time great hold up the trophy in the purple and gold. That alone would solidify the fact that LA is still the place to be. Bron coming here does more for the future of this franchise than these young guys could ever dream of.

Im not sure garnishing the youth, stunning their development or maxing out a 34 year old whose decline as you said is coming soon is worth the risk of "possibly" making one run.

I've never hated Bron, I guess Im old enough to admire and respect his game and place in the sport.

This is where we differ, I prefer getting PG this summer and making a run at another young CA native next summer.

#44 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,063 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 13, 2018 - 04:08 PM

Im not sure garnishing the youth, stunning their development or maxing out a 34 year old whose decline as you said is coming soon is worth the risk of "possibly" making one run.

How would this stunt the growth of our youth? Ball and Kuz fit perfectly with PG and Bron. Hart is a 3 and D type that can be used like Danny Green has been used in SA. Randle is likely gone either way. By "max" I simply mean that we offer as much money as possible. Lebron won't commit to an actual max contract, referring to the amount of years of a max contract, because he likes to be able to leave anytime he wants too.

This is where we differ, I prefer getting PG this summer and making a run at another young CA native next summer.

PG isn't going to throw away a season, this simply isn't realistic. It would make more sense to do a 1 year deal with OKC than to sign here long term with no plan of actually competing anytime soon. The guy isn't going to intentionally walk into a similar situation to the one he had in Indiana.

Edited by KidRN, February 13, 2018 - 04:09 PM.

#45 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,917 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 13, 2018 - 07:11 PM

We're just a few months away... we will soon know.

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

#46 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,839 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted February 13, 2018 - 08:13 PM

We're just a few months away... we will soon know.

Sign PG or Not.
I can’t wait to just know.

#47 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 5,161 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:47 AM

I thought I saw an article yesterday saying PG is committed to resigning with OKC. I didn't read it.

#48 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,554 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:14 AM

I thought I saw an article yesterday saying PG is committed to resigning with OKC. I didn't read it.

I saw it too. Trying to find the link

https://sports.yahoo...l?.tsrc=fauxdal

Found it. Didnt read it though

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, February 14, 2018 - 09:16 AM.

• MaceWindu likes this

#49 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,959 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:12 PM

Peter Vecsey is the source of this.

He's been irrelevant since the NBA left NBC.

• Busty Bluth and bfc1125roy like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#50 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,925 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:14 PM

Peter Vecsey is the source of this.

He's been irrelevant since the NBA left NBC.

Correct. You can only really trust guys like Woj, Shams, Stein, etc. 

• UKUGA likes this

#51 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,217 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:24 PM

Vescey is actually one of the worst reporters around. He’s been wrong consistently

He’s worse than ric bucher
  • GCMD, Persian Gulf, bfc1125roy and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#52 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 14,351 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 03:01 PM

If PG13 wanted to stay with OKC, all he has to do is sign a contract extension.  He doesn't need to go into Free Agency because OKC can pay him more than anyone else.

Source seems suspect.

• UKUGA, DanishLakerFan, bfc1125roy and 2 others like this

tenor.gif

#53 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,390 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 16, 2018 - 09:48 PM

When you’ve been careful with your money it’s not as important as happiness n playin in front of family n friends. When you take away the bonus year the contracts not that much different.

#54 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,217 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 09:28 AM

The way okc is playing I don’t think he stays. They won’t ever surpass Houston or golden state playing the way they are

Unless something changes in the playoffs

I do think Paul george will be here. If lebron doesn’t come I’m in the camp of letting deng just expire and then when George is 30. And the young guys are all older going after another free agent.

George at 30 still in his prime and our young guys ready to compete at the highest level having been to the playoffs a few times
Posted Image

#55 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,390 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 01, 2018 - 12:06 AM

Fo sho

#56 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 434 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted April 04, 2018 - 11:09 PM

The perfect season for the Lakers would be:
1) Signing Paul George to a 3 year (guaranteed) at $23M/yr with a team option (meaning he is a Laker if WE want, if we don't he's a FA) on a 4th year for $16.5M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses for Year 4
2) Signing Demarcus Cousins to a 2 year (guaranteed) deal with Year 1 paying him $12.5M and Year 2 paying him $30.5M with a team option on Year 3 for $25M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses
3) Trading Luol Deng along with draft picks to the Atlanta Hawks (the Hawks will do it)
4) Picking up Liangelo Ball off waivers after the draft (hoping Mark Cuban or Pat Riley doesn't draft him just to spite us) and put him on the G-League
5) Begin a dialogue with RC Buford on Kawhi Leonard, and actually broker some sort of deal giving them Brandon Ingram and a future conditional 2nd round pick 3 seasons from now (the condition being, if we are less than a .500 team at a time, they do not get the pick and we keep it)
6) Sign some sort of B- PG to a 4 year contract paying off $20M total. This will give us leverage on Lonzo and Lavar as a sort of, if you want to leave cause we won't sign the brothers and let Lavar Ball become President of basketball operations, we are more than fine letting Lonzo go. We got enough good players.
7) Keep cancer LeBron out of the Lakers. F U LeBron. Where were you when we needed you? Where were you when Kobe was hurt and past his prime? Now that the fruit is ripe your trying to come along and enjoy a free ride. F U. Go juice up on your "organic supplements" somewhere else and force that team to sign your useless friends alongside with you. You cancer.
I'm not if some of those contract provisions would be possible, but generally, the players we go after, and the price ranges should be something like that.
If all those things happened would we be title contenders? HELL YEAH we'd be title contenders. Sure it would take 25 games or so for the guys to gel. But it would be dissappointing if we didn't win the title.
If Cousins injury will give us leverage in the negotiations we should go for it just as long as we don't overcommitt. If he can still give 14/12 a game still demanding double teams in the post, he will have been worth it on a short term deal, and he wouldn't be hard to trade if he got a long term deal, so long as he can at least get 10/10 and there's only 1 year left on his deal.
LAKERS!!!

Edited by dbtbandit67, April 04, 2018 - 11:11 PM.

• Tensai and MambaMentality like this

#57 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,091 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 05, 2018 - 04:24 AM

The way okc is playing I don’t think he stays. They won’t ever surpass Houston or golden state playing the way they are

Unless something changes in the playoffs

I do think Paul george will be here. If lebron doesn’t come I’m in the camp of letting deng just expire and then when George is 30. And the young guys are all older going after another free agent.

George at 30 still in his prime and our young guys ready to compete at the highest level having been to the playoffs a few times

With reports of Steph being out 1st round, am i the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe GS is a possible upset by #7?

Honestly with all the guys injured this late in the year around the league

Steph

CP3

Kyrie

Lillard

Kawhi

cousins

Embiid

Butler

the championship seems more open than anytime in the last 4 years

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#58 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,735 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 05, 2018 - 05:28 AM

Hey, why not sign LeBron? For uhhh let's say the veteran minimum. That's about as plausible as the rest of that list. Just give him a big signing bonus lol

#59 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,924 posts

Posted April 05, 2018 - 11:41 AM

The perfect season for the Lakers would be:
1) Signing Paul George to a 3 year (guaranteed) at $23M/yr with a team option (meaning he is a Laker if WE want, if we don't he's a FA) on a 4th year for $16.5M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses for Year 4
2) Signing Demarcus Cousins to a 2 year (guaranteed) deal with Year 1 paying him $12.5M and Year 2 paying him $30.5M with a team option on Year 3 for $25M with $5M's worth of performance based bonuses
3) Trading Luol Deng along with draft picks to the Atlanta Hawks (the Hawks will do it)
4) Picking up Liangelo Ball off waivers after the draft (hoping Mark Cuban or Pat Riley doesn't draft him just to spite us) and put him on the G-League
5) Begin a dialogue with RC Buford on Kawhi Leonard, and actually broker some sort of deal giving them Brandon Ingram and a future conditional 2nd round pick 3 seasons from now (the condition being, if we are less than a .500 team at a time, they do not get the pick and we keep it)
6) Sign some sort of B- PG to a 4 year contract paying off $20M total. This will give us leverage on Lonzo and Lavar as a sort of, if you want to leave cause we won't sign the brothers and let Lavar Ball become President of basketball operations, we are more than fine letting Lonzo go. We got enough good players.
7) Keep cancer LeBron out of the Lakers. F U LeBron. Where were you when we needed you? Where were you when Kobe was hurt and past his prime? Now that the fruit is ripe your trying to come along and enjoy a free ride. F U. Go juice up on your "organic supplements" somewhere else and force that team to sign your useless friends alongside with you. You cancer.
I'm not if some of those contract provisions would be possible, but generally, the players we go after, and the price ranges should be something like that.
If all those things happened would we be title contenders? HELL YEAH we'd be title contenders. Sure it would take 25 games or so for the guys to gel. But it would be dissappointing if we didn't win the title.
If Cousins injury will give us leverage in the negotiations we should go for it just as long as we don't overcommitt. If he can still give 14/12 a game still demanding double teams in the post, he will have been worth it on a short term deal, and he wouldn't be hard to trade if he got a long term deal, so long as he can at least get 10/10 and there's only 1 year left on his deal.
LAKERS!!!

Bruh
  • KidRN and lakerfan98 like this

#60 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,554 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted April 05, 2018 - 12:31 PM

Bruh

Too long to read. Lol