Photo

If the Lakers have a perfect offseason, are they contenders?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,258 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 12, 2018 - 09:49 AM

GS has changed the idea of a contender as long as they are this good.  I do think if they grab PG and the young guys improve they can be in the convo in a few years.  The NBA landscape can change so much though.  We have no clue how the league will look in 2 seasons.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#22 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,543 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted February 12, 2018 - 11:18 AM

GS has changed the idea of a contender as long as they are this good.  I do think if they grab PG and the young guys improve they can be in the convo in a few years.  The NBA landscape can change so much though.  We have no clue how the league will look in 2 seasons.

Yes and no.

We dont know what type of moves teams will make and who will be good or bad. But we do know a lot of other stuff.

The Warriors' payroll is going to be an issue pretty soon as Durant, Klay and Draymond all need new contracts and while they might take a slight paycut to keep the core together, they're probably not leaving 30, 40 or 50M on the table. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they moved either Klay this summer.

#23 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,258 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 12, 2018 - 11:55 AM

That's fine but they still have Steph and KD and they can do a lot around that and still be a super elite team.  You also gotta consider other teams moves and talent explosion. 

Case and point.  I remember a few years ago I made a thread Lowry vs Rondo as who the Lakers should pursue.  Obviously the majority of the board went with Rondo.  I and a few other chose Kyle and now look where they are. 

Yes and no.

We dont know what type of moves teams will make and who will be good or bad. But we do know a lot of other stuff.

The Warriors' payroll is going to be an issue pretty soon as Durant, Klay and Draymond all need new contracts and while they might take a slight paycut to keep the core together, they're probably not leaving 30, 40 or 50M on the table. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they moved either Klay this summer.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#24 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,282 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 12, 2018 - 12:45 PM

GSW is one injury away from being vulnerable.  

I understand respecting them but I think people are using their dominance as an excuse not to try to build a contending team right now.  You're scared that LeBron might ask for one of the young guys to be shipped out now instead of waiting on them to "develop", a la Andrew Wiggins or "waiting for GSW to decline".  That's childish.   I trust Magic and Pelinka to do what's right for the team now and in the future.  Try to build the best team you possibly can whenever you can.  Try to win every game every time you step on the court.

GSW has punched everyone in the mouth and turned 99% of NBA fans into "fanboys".  I love what they are doing and how they are playing but by no means do I believe they are invincible...dominant?  Yes...impossible to beat?  No.  If we land LeBron AND PG13 this summer, we will have as good a chance as anyone else of taking them down.  Chance favors the prepared mind.

• UKUGA and Xinxin like this

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#25 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,979 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 12, 2018 - 02:02 PM

I think it's important to remember that after the Lakers ran roughshod over the Nets in 2002, the general consensus was the if the Lakers could upgrade at PG (Derek Fisher was a weak link on defense), then they would be the favorites and in contention for a title for about the next 5 years.

Well, that particular group of players only competed for a title the next 2 years, and that was after significant roster changes after losing to SA in 2003.

A lot can happen.  While a lot of that situation had to do with Shaq's size, inability to stay in shape, and the associated drama, it is still a recent example of just how difficult it is stay on a roll and win titles year-after-year.  

And that doesn't ignore that Kobe and Fisher still won 2 titles together, 7 and 8  years later.  Meaning, that it wasn't ridiculous to assume that the Lakers could literally have dominated an entire decade had they not melted down, but the difficult part was in actually doing it. 

IMO, the Warriors will become increasingly susceptible each year, and we will see them go down before the Finals no later than 2020.    While I think Houston is in the best position to be the first to knock them off (perhaps as soon as this summer), there is no reason for us to believe that with the right moves, we can't be right there competing with them within the same general time frame that I just referenced.

Edited by UKUGA, February 12, 2018 - 02:03 PM.

• GCMD, bfc1125roy and Xinxin like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#26 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,282 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 02:11 PM

I think it's important to remember that after the Lakers ran roughshod over the Nets in 2002, the general consensus was the if the Lakers could upgrade at PG (Derek Fisher was a weak link on defense), then they would be the favorites and in contention for a title for about the next 5 years.

Well, that particular group of players only competed for a title the next 2 years, and that was after significant roster changes after losing to SA in 2003.

A lot can happen.  While a lot of that situation had to do with Shaq's size, inability to stay in shape, and the associated drama, it is still a recent example of just how difficult it is stay on a roll and win titles year-after-year.  

And that doesn't ignore that Kobe and Fisher still won 2 titles together, 7 and 8  years later.  Meaning, that it wasn't ridiculous to assume that the Lakers could literally have dominated an entire decade had they not melted down, but the difficult part was in actually doing it. 

IMO, the Warriors will become increasingly susceptible each year, and we will see them go down before the Finals no later than 2020.    While I think Houston is in the best position to be the first to knock them off (perhaps as soon as this summer), there is no reason for us to believe that with the right moves, we can't be right there competing with them within the same general time frame that I just referenced.

I was thinking about the Lakers early 2000's when I made my post also.  Kobe's knee injury almost sunk us.  Shaq's "conditioning".  Malone getting hurt kept us from beating DET, IMHO.  Dominant teams have been beaten...

If it had been Draymond's Achilles instead of DMC's...or Steph's leg instead of Gordon Hayward...how about KD's ACL instead of Kristaps?

Any chance we have to get better, we should.  If we have a chance to contend now WITHOUT sacrificing our young core, we shouldn't worry about LeBron breaking down 3 years from now.  Little to no reason NOT to add LeBron and PG13 if we give up nothing in return.

If the question was trading our youth for either, I could understand but it's not.

• UKUGA and bfc1125roy like this

tenor.gif

#27 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,148 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 12, 2018 - 03:17 PM

Sounds like a big injury is the only thing that can keep GS from running through the league...

#28 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,282 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like a big injury is the only thing that can keep GS from running through the league...

Health is as big of a determinant of NBA Champions as talent.  There's almost always a team that believes if they had been healthy, they could have beaten this team or that team.  I'd rather be a team that is close enough to contention to take advantage of that than punting for years, waiting out a Dynasty.

What people forget is there is NO GUARANTEE another team doesn't emerge as a SuperTeam before the GSW Decline.  Should we continue to kick the can down the road during that Dynasty also?

• UKUGA and LACAS like this

tenor.gif

#29 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,148 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 05:43 PM

I just need PG, the rest will play out.

• UKUGA likes this

#30 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,985 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted February 12, 2018 - 06:07 PM

We are on the rise! Purple Wave coming
  • LACAS likes this

#31 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,543 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:28 PM

That's fine but they still have Steph and KD and they can do a lot around that and still be a super elite team.  You also gotta consider other teams moves and talent explosion. 

Case and point.  I remember a few years ago I made a thread Lowry vs Rondo as who the Lakers should pursue.  Obviously the majority of the board went with Rondo.  I and a few other chose Kyle and now look where they are. 

My point is that it could be difficult for the Warriors to keep their big 4 together beyond next season and if they break it up - or if Klay leaves - i think they go from being the best team in nba history to just a really great team. They'd still be among the favorites, but a PG-Lebron duo would probably be close to their level.

• UKUGA likes this

#32 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,543 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:57 PM

My. Perfect. Offseason.

LA trades Deng, Bryant and Zubac to Chi/Atl/?? along with the Cavs pick (whoever we select) and a future LA pick (protected). Two 1sts should be enough.

LA then open up about 79M, which would be divided between: Paul George (30/4yrs), DeAndre Jordan (17M/4yrs) and Kevin Durant (33M/4yrs). 

Brook Lopez is kept using the room exception (with promise of future money).

LA sign Jarrett Jack and Ian Clark to veteran min deals.

Lonzo / Jack / Clark

George / Hart

Ingram /

Durant / Kuzma

DJ / Lopez

I know people think it's crazy, but Durant will probably win another title in GS, but he'll never win an MVP in GS with that team and if they looking to break up that core at some point, i think he could go to LA to win a title on his own (on a team that isn't already winning 70 games).

#33 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,148 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 06:12 AM

Wait, did you just say KD?

• Rekal likes this

#34 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,660 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 13, 2018 - 06:51 AM

My. Perfect. Offseason.

LA trades Deng, Bryant and Zubac to Chi/Atl/?? along with the Cavs pick (whoever we select) and a future LA pick (protected). Two 1sts should be enough.

LA then open up about 79M, which would be divided between: Paul George (30/4yrs), DeAndre Jordan (17M/4yrs) and Kevin Durant (33M/4yrs). 
Brook Lopez is kept using the room exception (with promise of future money).
LA sign Jarrett Jack and Ian Clark to veteran min deals.

Lonzo / Jack / Clark
George / Hart
Ingram /
Durant / Kuzma
DJ / Lopez

I know people think it's crazy, but Durant will probably win another title in GS, but he'll never win an MVP in GS with that team and if they looking to break up that core at some point, i think he could go to LA to win a title on his own (on a team that isn't already winning 70 games).

KD is already the best player on that team. I see no reason for him to leave.

#35 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,543 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 07:10 AM

Wait, did you just say KD?

I did. You got a problem with that? :)

KD is already the best player on that team. I see no reason for him to leave.

Sure. The reason for him to leave would be based on the long-term outlook of the Warriors compared to the Lakers. I think the big 4 will have to break up at some point - maybe as early as this summer, possibly. KD, Klay and Dray all have been underpaid for the past few years and they would have to leave a lot more on the table going forward in order for them to stay together. That probably wont happen and if one of the goes, then they're not the untouchable elite team they've been so far.

If KD left, he'd be able to be the legit #1 option, be a legit MVP candidate and build his own legacy, rather than just riding the Warriors. Honestly, him leaving OKC to join the 73-win team will follow him.

#36 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,148 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 07:44 AM

I did. You got a problem with that? :)

I think the big 4 will have to break up at some point - maybe as early as this summer, possibly. KD, Klay and Dray all have been underpaid for the past few years and they would have to leave a lot more on the table going forward in order for them to stay together. That probably wont happen and if one of the goes, then they're not the untouchable elite team they've been so far.

Nope.

Im not sure KD will leave but he could and I agree salaries will soon become a problem for GS this could be their Achilles heel.

#37 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,660 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 10:15 AM

KD has so much money coming in from endorsements that I doubt he cares about his nba salary being slightly lower than it could be especially considering the fact that he is in the middle of a dynasty type run on arguably the greatest team in nba history.

Steph and KD alone could get a team to the WCF every year for the next 4 or 5 years as long as neither is seriously injured. Klay is likely the only guy that leaves and even without him, they are still the best team out West. With Bron declining, this team has a legit shot at 3 or 4 rings in a row.

Once again, KD is the best player on that team. This already is his legacy! He is a legit #1 option and has been his entire career, and he is a legit MVP candidate!

Edited by KidRN, February 13, 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#38 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,148 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 10:30 AM

Klay is likely the only guy that leaves and even without him, they are still the best team out West.

With Bron declining...

I hate to agree with you.

How is Bron declining?

#39 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,660 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 10:51 AM

I hate to agree with you.

How is Bron declining?

Well his defense has gotten worse but that's really about it.

Lebron isn't a superhuman just like Kobe wasn't. He can't play at this level forever. His decline will come, and it will come soon.
  • LACAS likes this

#40 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,148 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 10:58 AM

Lebron isn't a superhuman just like Kobe wasn't. He can't play at this level forever.

His decline will come, and it will come soon.

I actually agree with you although he's better built for the bumps than Kobe was.

And your 2nd statement is exactly why I prefer to pass on Bron.

Edited by LACAS, February 13, 2018 - 10:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users