2018 NBA Draft

• Please log in to reply
882 replies to this topic

#61 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 08:21 PM

Sophomore / Junior would be ideal. It wouldn't be feasible to draft a freshman at this point of development phase. I wouldn't mind a senior that specializes on defense either.

Edited by Tensai, March 08, 2018 - 08:21 PM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#62 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 09, 2018 - 12:24 AM

I like Jontay Porter, Michael’s brother. Dude can shoot...I like him as a 4/5.

Yeah, not a bad idea.

Sophomore / Junior would be ideal. It wouldn't be feasible to draft a freshman at this point of development phase. I wouldn't mind a senior that specializes on defense either.

I think it's better to go with upside and swing for the fences. Missing on a late first isn't really damaging to a franchise, at all, but finding a diamond in the rough can really alter a franchise in a positive way.

#63 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 7,236 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2018 - 01:03 AM

whoever gets mohammad bamba is lucky af

"Busto Ball" - troll

#64 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 01:52 AM

whoever gets mohammad bamba is lucky af

Bamba could be a longer and more athletic version of Rudy Gobert, but with a jumpshot. Or he could be a longer Nerlens Noel.

#65 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,953 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 09, 2018 - 03:44 PM

DLF thats funny! Well heres to a win tonight vs another playoff bound team! hoping Cavs lose some more to aid the pick we get!

#66 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,602 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 09, 2018 - 04:26 PM

Bamba could be a longer and more athletic version of Rudy Gobert, but with a jumpshot. Or he could be a longer Nerlens Noel.

We set the bar way to high for these players!

#67 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 09, 2018 - 04:31 PM

People are higher on Ayton and Bamba than I am.  Both are good players but the comparisons and predictions are, well, extreme.

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#68 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 05:58 AM

We set the bar way to high for these players!

It's about establishing a best and worst case for these players. Bamba has a chance to be as impactfull defensively as Gobert and he's shown potential as a shooter as well.

In order to win titles you need MVP/DPOY/All-nba caliber players and you need to draft guys that has that kind of potential.

People are higher on Ayton and Bamba than I am.  Both are good players but the comparisons and predictions are, well, extreme.

Who would you compare those guys to, then?

#69 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted March 11, 2018 - 07:41 PM

If Cleveland loses a few more games, their pick will go all the way down to 15-20 range.

• DLN likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#70 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,003 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted March 11, 2018 - 07:58 PM

I don't think it's likely but I think it's possible they could slip to and stay at the 6 seed. Maybe give us the 19th-20th pick depending how the mid seeds in the West shake out.

#71 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 12:14 AM

I don't think it's likely but I think it's possible they could slip to and stay at the 6 seed. Maybe give us the 19th-20th pick depending how the mid seeds in the West shake out.

That pick really could go anywhere between 16 and 26 and only 4 teams seem to be the clear-cut 1-4 seed (Hou, GS, TOR, Bos). The remaining 12 playoff teams are basically separated by only a handfull of wins. With a bit of luck the Cavs slide just a little bit more which would put them around #20.

#72 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 11:30 AM

It's about establishing a best and worst case for these players. Bamba has a chance to be as impactfull defensively as Gobert and he's shown potential as a shooter as well.

In order to win titles you need MVP/DPOY/All-nba caliber players and you need to draft guys that has that kind of potential.

Who would you compare those guys to, then?

Not HOFers, claiming they (Ayton/Bamba) are better versions of them.

tenor.gif

#73 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 08:54 PM

Not HOFers, claiming they (Ayton/Bamba) are better versions of them.

Well, i dont believe i ever claimed these guys would be better than any HOFers.

I guess this comes down to what your draft philosophy is. I think you have to look at what the best case scenario is with a player, the chance of him reaching that potential and what he'll be if he doesn't reach his potential. And in general, you swing for the fences. Would much rather take a chance with someone who has potential to be great than settle for someone who is more of a sure thing with lower ceiling.

#74 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 12:34 AM

Well, i dont believe i ever claimed these guys would be better than any HOFers.

I guess this comes down to what your draft philosophy is. I think you have to look at what the best case scenario is with a player, the chance of him reaching that potential and what he'll be if he doesn't reach his potential. And in general, you swing for the fences. Would much rather take a chance with someone who has potential to be great than settle for someone who is more of a sure thing with lower ceiling.

Sorry for the confusion.

I wasn't talking about your comparisons.  I was talking about commentators and draft sites.  They are throwing David Robinson and Mutumbo out there...I watch games and I'm like, seriously?

I don't think either is more skilled than Karl Anthony Towns.  Just my opinion though.  Better defenders?  Possibly.

tenor.gif

#75 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 12:55 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

I wasn't talking about your comparisons.  I was talking about commentators and draft sites.  They are throwing David Robinson and Mutumbo out there...I watch games and I'm like, seriously?

I don't think either is more skilled than Karl Anthony Towns.  Just my opinion though.  Better defenders?  Possibly.

It's a balance. I have no problem with the superstar comparisons as long as people also consider worst-case scenarios. Comparing these guys to some median outcome doesn't make much sense either and quite honestly, top 5 picks should be compared to other top 5 picks. In that regard i think Ayton does remind me bit about David Robinson because you dont see that combination of size, athleticism and skill all that often.

#76 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,953 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 13, 2018 - 05:56 PM

He was just picked wrong and seriously over paid! He’s not the player he used to be but I know that feeling, lol. This will all work out have faith!

#77 DLN

DLN

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,531 posts

Posted March 15, 2018 - 05:02 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

Just read the Ringer's quick take on Mo Bamba:

"Bamba’s immense defensive upside is tied to his otherworldly wingspan. His potential as a perimeter threat could make him a 3-point-shooting Rudy Gobert"

#78 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,343 posts

Posted March 15, 2018 - 07:14 AM

Didn't they say the same things for Thon Maker?

• GCMD likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#79 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,240 posts

Posted March 15, 2018 - 12:56 PM

Just read the Ringer's quick take on Mo Bamba:

"Bamba’s immense defensive upside is tied to his otherworldly wingspan. His potential as a perimeter threat could make him a 3-point-shooting Rudy Gobert"

I hope it works out.  I don't see that comparison but I am wrong all of the time.

tenor.gif

#80 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,772 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted March 15, 2018 - 01:06 PM

Is it a 9ft'3 inch wingspan, right?

I like Ayton better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic