42 replies to this topic

#21 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,787 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 09, 2018 - 12:10 AM

Need to root for Cleveland to suck now. One injury or if they continue this losing they have been on could easily get us a great pick. Doubtful but that team has been quite a mess and players take a while to get adjusted. Would be crazy if they somehow miss the playoffs. 

Was always rooting for them to suck. The more they suck the more LBJ is likely to leave. Hopefully this trade leaves them in even worse shape, though I can't believe they got Hood for scraps.

#22 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,509 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 09, 2018 - 08:50 AM

I see the chances to trade this pick along with Deng quite high.

I think we're off by a year.  At this point I don't think anybody is taking on 2 years of Deng for a late 1st rounder.  But if we don't land 2 max players and we don't stretch Deng then perhaps at next years trade deadline a team would be willing to send us a couple of expiring deals to take on Deng's extra year in exchange for say our own 2020 pick (protected) and the Bull's 2019 second rounder that we own.  Deng's last year is worth nearly 19 million and teams aren't going to be lining up to help us get more space in 2019 so it's def gonna cost us.    

Edited by lakerfan98, February 09, 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#23 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,012 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:56 AM

It’s great to have and I trust the FO, so far they’ve been brilliant!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, February 10, 2018 - 07:56 AM.

#24 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,245 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted February 10, 2018 - 04:59 PM

Wouldn’t mind drafting Matur Maker with this first round pick

#25 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,745 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 11, 2018 - 09:54 AM

I think we're off by a year.  At this point I don't think anybody is taking on 2 years of Deng for a late 1st rounder.  But if we don't land 2 max players and we don't stretch Deng then perhaps at next years trade deadline a team would be willing to send us a couple of expiring deals to take on Deng's extra year in exchange for say our own 2020 pick (protected) and the Bull's 2019 second rounder that we own.  Deng's last year is worth nearly 19 million and teams aren't going to be lining up to help us get more space in 2019 so it's def gonna cost us.    

Quick question:  If we trade Deng, can his new team stretch him?  Or does it have to be the team that signed him?

tenor.gif

#26 Rekal

Rekal

Off The Bench

• 1,672 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted February 11, 2018 - 01:07 PM

Quick question: If we trade Deng, can his new team stretch him? Or does it have to be the team that signed him?

I’ve been wondering this too.
  • GCMD likes this

#27 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,745 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 01:33 PM

Would help sell another team on taking him if they could.  Their cap hit would be <8M/year which is a LOT better than 18M.  Not sure it's legal though.

tenor.gif

#28 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,118 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 01:59 PM

I don’t want to use this draft pick for anything more than attaching to deng lol unless lebron and George come but even then we won’t need it to fill out the roster

He’ll id send zubac, Bryant and the pick with deng if that works (it won’t) I used to love deng but I hate him now

I remember kobe wanting to leave the lakers to play with deng in Chicago and now this guy is like crippling us

I hate him lol
Posted Image

#29 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 770 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:17 PM

Maybe trade the pick to get out of Deng’s contract. I don’t see how the “2 max contracts” plan mixes with yet another 19 year old...they already have a lot of good players (TB, Hart) that need more playing time as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#30 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,872 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:24 PM

Anyone can stretch him.

#31 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,685 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 13, 2018 - 06:17 AM

Where's Jahil Okafor?

What the F happened to Fultz?

#32 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 3,012 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted February 13, 2018 - 08:53 AM

Fultz still playing the injury card shot really stinks can’t cope with the NBA pressures imo Okafor still camping out on the paint no D! Visit Brooklyn

#33 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,814 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 13, 2018 - 09:55 AM

I remember kobe wanting to leave the lakers to play with deng in Chicago and now this guy is like crippling us

No Deng.  No Deal.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#34 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,685 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted February 13, 2018 - 10:03 AM

Fultz still playing the injury card shot really stinks can’t cope with the NBA pressures imo 

Ball might be suffering from this as well... maybe its contagious?

#35 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,745 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 04:43 PM

I don’t want to use this draft pick for anything more than attaching to deng lol unless lebron and George come but even then we won’t need it to fill out the roster

He’ll id send zubac, Bryant and the pick with deng if that works (it won’t) I used to love deng but I hate him now

I hate him lol

I hate the situation but I'm not sure Deng has EVER done anything for anyone to hate him.  Epitome of Professionalism and a good role model for young players coming into the NBA.

If Deng's contract was more like Brewer's (~7M), most wouldn't have a problem with him.  His contract isn't his fault.  He didn't make Jim and Mitch pay him much more that he was worth.

I remember people here ADVOCATING overpaying role players that summer.  They claimed that contract would be a BARGAIN once the NBA salary cap ballooned again the next year.  Didn't happen and people like me that was saying it was stupid then understand how and why it happened.  People who advocated for those stupid contracts are not acknowledging how bad this decision was.

• UKUGA likes this

tenor.gif

#36 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,787 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 04:46 PM

We've been good at drafting, zi say keep it unless there's a good deal.

#37 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,814 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 15, 2018 - 08:25 AM

I hate the situation but I'm not sure Deng has EVER done anything for anyone to hate him.  Epitome of Professionalism and a good role model for young players coming into the NBA.

If Deng's contract was more like Brewer's (~7M), most wouldn't have a problem with him.  His contract isn't his fault.  He didn't make Jim and Mitch pay him much more that he was worth.

I remember people here ADVOCATING overpaying role players that summer.  They claimed that contract would be a BARGAIN once the NBA salary cap ballooned again the next year.  Didn't happen and people like me that was saying it was stupid then understand how and why it happened.  People who advocated for those stupid contracts are not acknowledging how bad this decision was.

I think part of the issue, too, was that team's were signing players they didn't really even need, and/or weren't certain performers.

The Deng deal made a little bit of sense, given the market at that time (clearly an over-payment, but maybe not so bad had he performed), but the Mozgov deal was ridiculous.   He wasn't good.  And we paid him a boatload of money, eating up cap space that we could have rolled forward, to do be nothing more than a big stiff (because that's what he's always been). 

There's no palpable evidence that there was this kind of market for either of these guys, especially Mozgov, irrespective of the salary cap explosion.

And it's worth noting, we have now traded 2 of the 3 guys we signed to long-term deals that off-season (Mozgov & Clarkson)

Don't feed the trolls. 

#38 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,787 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 01:29 PM

I think part of the issue, too, was that team's were signing players they didn't really even need, and/or weren't certain performers.

The Deng deal made a little bit of sense, given the market at that time (clearly an over-payment, but maybe not so bad had he performed), but the Mozgov deal was ridiculous.   He wasn't good.  And we paid him a boatload of money, eating up cap space that we could have rolled forward, to do be nothing more than a big stiff (because that's what he's always been). 

There's no palpable evidence that there was this kind of market for either of these guys, especially Mozgov, irrespective of the salary cap explosion.

And it's worth noting, we have now traded 2 of the 3 guys we signed to long-term deals that off-season (Mozgov & Clarkson)

At least Mozgov is a 7 footer, that serves more utility than Deng (and made him more tradeable), who just decided his prime was over the minute he signed on the dotted line. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, February 15, 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#39 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,111 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted February 15, 2018 - 01:51 PM

At least Mozgov is a 7 footer, that serves more utility than Deng (and made him more tradeable), who just decided his prime was over the minute he signed on the dotted line.

He was made tradeable because Russ went with him. He isnt even getting any pt with the Nets. If we attatched Kuzma or Ingram with Deng im pretty sure someone would take him

#40 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,118 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 03:55 PM

I hate the situation but I'm not sure Deng has EVER done anything for anyone to hate him. Epitome of Professionalism and a good role model for young players coming into the NBA.

If Deng's contract was more like Brewer's (~7M), most wouldn't have a problem with him. His contract isn't his fault. He didn't make Jim and Mitch pay him much more that he was worth.

I remember people here ADVOCATING overpaying role players that summer. They claimed that contract would be a BARGAIN once the NBA salary cap ballooned again the next year. Didn't happen and people like me that was saying it was stupid then understand how and why it happened. People who advocated for those stupid contracts are not acknowledging how bad this decision was.

Lol I don’t actually hate him. I don’t know the guy.

And ya that summer hurt a lot of teams. Almost to the point it feels like it was a trap. It doesn’t make total sense that the cap was projected to balloon and did the total opposite, but I’m guessing there’s so many revenue issues and other monetary factors that I won’t pretend to know what happenef
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users